Switch Theme:

Obscuring terrain  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Gangly Grot Rebel




As obscuring terrain stop LoS OVER terrain feature, if i hide a LOC behind a wall of >5" and you can only see the LoC head OVER the wall, you can shoot him?

I know you may see the wings on the sides, but i need to know if you can shoot if you see him over the wall, like his head for example.

Orks 5000p 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





Kebabcito wrote:
As obscuring terrain stop LoS OVER terrain feature, if i hide a LOC behind a wall of >5" and you can only see the LoC head OVER the wall, you can shoot him?

I know you may see the wings on the sides, but i need to know if you can shoot if you see him over the wall, like his head for example.


The obscuring rule is pretty clear and specific:

Obscuring
If this terrain feature is at least 5" in height, then models cannot see through or over this terrain feature. This means that one model is not visible to another if you cannot draw a straight line, 1mm in thickness, between them without it passing through or over any part of this terrain feature. The height of a terrain feature is measured from the highest point on that terrain feature.

emphasis mine

Provided the unit isn’t an Aircraft or has 18W or more, then you can’t draw LOS over obscuring terrain.

If you can see the wings sticking out the side and can draw LOS to the wings without tracing the LOS through or over the obscuring feature then you can shoot it.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2021/06/15 09:51:59


 
   
Made in us
Deathwing Terminator with Assault Cannon





Obscuring is an operation that relies purely on TLOS. As such, any units/models that can see ANY PART (quite literally ANY PART OF THE MODEL) of the LoC will be able to declare the said LoC as target (given the LoC is visible via TLOS AND is within range of the ranged weapon the firing unit is equipped with).
   
Made in us
Confessor Of Sins




Tacoma, WA, USA

You might want to read the rules for the Obscuring Terrain Trait. I'm pretty sure the LOC has less than 18 Wounds, making your answer incorrect.
   
Made in fi
Ye Lord of The End Times (and a good guy)





 skchsan wrote:
Obscuring is an operation that relies purely on TLOS. As such, any units/models that can see ANY PART (quite literally ANY PART OF THE MODEL) of the LoC will be able to declare the said LoC as target (given the LoC is visible via TLOS AND is within range of the ranged weapon the firing unit is equipped with).


Ehh...obscuring is precisely opposite of TLOS. It's specifically there to make it so that you DON'T see model even if TLOS has it.

Furthermore it's based on wounds/aircraft status of target, not shooter. So if you have ruin with land raider behind and warlord titan on the opposite side the land raider is safe. Sure the warlord titan will tower over the ruin and see the land raider clearly. But there's obscuring terrain which means it blocks LOS in inifite height.

2021 painted/bought: 538/575 
   
Made in fr
Regular Dakkanaut




LoS are blocked as long as the model is not an aircraft or has more than 18 Wounds. Doesn't matter if you can see tiny parts of the model through a window or because his wings are too big to be completely hidden, etc.

However, if the model is an Aircraft or has more than 18 Wounds, then you switch back to TLoS.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Selfcontrol wrote:
LoS are blocked as long as the model is not an aircraft or has more than 18 Wounds. Doesn't matter if you can see tiny parts of the model through a window or because his wings are too big to be completely hidden, etc.

However, if the model is an Aircraft or has more than 18 Wounds, then you switch back to TLoS.


It matters if the wings stick out to the side of the Obscuring Terrain; if you have TLoS to those parts of the wings then you can shoot. If the wings are behind or sticking above the Obscuring Terrain, though, you are correct, you can't trace line of sight to those parts.
   
Made in us
Deathwing Terminator with Assault Cannon





tneva82 wrote:
 skchsan wrote:
Obscuring is an operation that relies purely on TLOS. As such, any units/models that can see ANY PART (quite literally ANY PART OF THE MODEL) of the LoC will be able to declare the said LoC as target (given the LoC is visible via TLOS AND is within range of the ranged weapon the firing unit is equipped with).


Ehh...obscuring is precisely opposite of TLOS. It's specifically there to make it so that you DON'T see model even if TLOS has it.

Furthermore it's based on wounds/aircraft status of target, not shooter. So if you have ruin with land raider behind and warlord titan on the opposite side the land raider is safe. Sure the warlord titan will tower over the ruin and see the land raider clearly. But there's obscuring terrain which means it blocks LOS in inifite height.
It indeed is a function of TLOS as Obscuring requires you to test the 'quality' of the TLOS.

If the TLOS drawn is THROUGH a terrain piece with this trait and ONLY through the said terrain piece, then such TLOS is considered to be not established - the TLOs is actually blocked per terrain rule, barring the given exceptions.

If the TLOS can be drawn to any part of the model without going through a terrain piece, then the trait is not in effect and the target can be targeted as normal.
   
Made in us
Freaky Flayed One






 skchsan wrote:
tneva82 wrote:
 skchsan wrote:
Obscuring is an operation that relies purely on TLOS. As such, any units/models that can see ANY PART (quite literally ANY PART OF THE MODEL) of the LoC will be able to declare the said LoC as target (given the LoC is visible via TLOS AND is within range of the ranged weapon the firing unit is equipped with).


Ehh...obscuring is precisely opposite of TLOS. It's specifically there to make it so that you DON'T see model even if TLOS has it.

Furthermore it's based on wounds/aircraft status of target, not shooter. So if you have ruin with land raider behind and warlord titan on the opposite side the land raider is safe. Sure the warlord titan will tower over the ruin and see the land raider clearly. But there's obscuring terrain which means it blocks LOS in inifite height.
It indeed is a function of TLOS as Obscuring requires you to test the 'quality' of the TLOS.

If the TLOS drawn is THROUGH a terrain piece with this trait and ONLY through the said terrain piece, then such TLOS is considered to be not established - the TLOs is actually blocked per terrain rule, barring the given exceptions.

If the TLOS can be drawn to any part of the model without going through a terrain piece, then the trait is not in effect and the target can be targeted as normal.


To be a bit more precise, it's not just 'through' the terrain piece but also OVER. This is probably just as significant for some large models as the 'through' clause and is worth mentioning.

8000 
   
Made in us
Raging Ravener





Lord of change have 16 wounds and can hide behind obscuring terrain. You move to true line of sight when either you or or opponent touch the terrain.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K You Make Da Call
Go to: