Switch Theme:

2019 Warhammer Community Rumor Engine Thread  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in se
Wolf Guard Bodyguard in Terminator Armor






Carlovonsexron wrote:
They have mentioned in the past about working on a next.thing for fantasy warhammer quest, and ambulls(40k) and zoats(bloodbowl) would.be complemented perfectly by a Fimir.

I would actually.cave.and pay the absurd Blackstone fortress.xpack price if.it meant getting a Fimir.


You can already do that from forge world. https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar?N=2587193535+3027296650&Nr=AND%28sku.siteId%3AUS_fw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_US_fw%29&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bproduct.startDate+%3C%3D+1569497580000+and+product.endDate+%3E%3D+1569497580000%5D
Although, it would be sweet to have them represented in the general AoS game. However, I ran in to them in RPG, and they have a pretty gruesome culture.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/09/26 10:41:58


 
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





I have no.intetest.in buying forgeworld, both because pr price.and material.

   
Made in ca
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Edmonton, Alberta

 Fayric wrote:
Carlovonsexron wrote:
They have mentioned in the past about working on a next.thing for fantasy warhammer quest, and ambulls(40k) and zoats(bloodbowl) would.be complemented perfectly by a Fimir.

I would actually.cave.and pay the absurd Blackstone fortress.xpack price if.it meant getting a Fimir.


You can already do that from forge world. https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar?N=2587193535+3027296650&Nr=AND%28sku.siteId%3AUS_fw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_US_fw%29&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bproduct.startDate+%3C%3D+1569497580000+and+product.endDate+%3E%3D+1569497580000%5D
Although, it would be sweet to have them represented in the general AoS game. However, I ran in to them in RPG, and they have a pretty gruesome culture.


"gruesome is putting it lightly lol
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





If GW.bring them back I'm expecting a retcon to certain matters of their background will also come.

Which I hope for, as honestly the design is just so cool.

   
Made in ca
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Edmonton, Alberta

Carlovonsexron wrote:
If GW.bring them back I'm expecting a retcon to certain matters of their background will also come.

Which I hope for, as honestly the design is just so cool.


I agree to be honest.
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





yeah, the backlash would be to great these days

 
   
Made in ie
Regular Dakkanaut




It's going to be ogors, imo. Chances of fimir, chaos dwarfs or any other background WFB race making it to AoS proper instead of them inventing a new one wholecloth is...not great? Especially since Idoneth are already the mist-shrouded raiders from the sea.
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




Carlovonsexron wrote:
They have mentioned in the past about working on a next.thing for fantasy warhammer quest, and ambulls(40k) and zoats(bloodbowl) would.be complemented perfectly by a Fimir.

I would actually.cave.and pay the absurd Blackstone fortress.xpack price if.it meant getting a Fimir.


Oh?! I must have missed this, do you happen to recall where a potential new WHQ was mentioned?
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





Clockpunk wrote:
Carlovonsexron wrote:
They have mentioned in the past about working on a next.thing for fantasy warhammer quest, and ambulls(40k) and zoats(bloodbowl) would.be complemented perfectly by a Fimir.

I would actually.cave.and pay the absurd Blackstone fortress.xpack price if.it meant getting a Fimir.


Oh?! I must have missed this, do you happen to recall where a potential new WHQ was mentioned?


It's been mentioned on some of the age of sigmar podcasts


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Cronch wrote:
It's going to be ogors, imo. Chances of fimir, chaos dwarfs or any other background WFB race making it to AoS proper instead of them inventing a new one wholecloth is...not great? Especially since Idoneth are already the mist-shrouded raiders from the sea.


It's why I thin they would be more likely to come back in warhammer quest, akin to how bloodbowl is getting a Zoat.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/09/27 14:17:29


   
Made in us
Courageous Questing Knight





Central Cimmeria

 Lockark wrote:
 Fayric wrote:
Carlovonsexron wrote:
They have mentioned in the past about working on a next.thing for fantasy warhammer quest, and ambulls(40k) and zoats(bloodbowl) would.be complemented perfectly by a Fimir.

I would actually.cave.and pay the absurd Blackstone fortress.xpack price if.it meant getting a Fimir.


You can already do that from forge world. https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar?N=2587193535+3027296650&Nr=AND%28sku.siteId%3AUS_fw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_US_fw%29&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bproduct.startDate+%3C%3D+1569497580000+and+product.endDate+%3E%3D+1569497580000%5D
Although, it would be sweet to have them represented in the general AoS game. However, I ran in to them in RPG, and they have a pretty gruesome culture.


"gruesome is putting it lightly lol

After you guys talking about the raping of captives? It is of course gruesome, but basically par for the course in ancient and not so ancient history. You don't see people protesting the use of Vikings who raped and slaughtered all over western Europe, or Aztecs who raped and performed vivisection ritual sacrifice, or Comanche who killed, raped, enslaved and brutally tortured their captives.
I of course condemn all such practices, but it is a good sign to me that people are wringing their hands about a fictional race whose culture wouldn't even make them a standout among actual real world cultures.
We've come a long way world! I'm proud of us. (Not being sarcastic).
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





There is a distinct difference between that eample and the Fimir, which are:

A) Fictional, and therefore don't have to be written in a way that includes rape (look at warhammer Orks for an eample of that)

-and-

B) How the old Fimir HAVE to rape in order to reproduce.

I'd further argue that how normal rape was in past societies doesn't matter; it only matters how we in the current incarnation of society feel about the subject. Using past societies as examples of when rape was 'normalized' only serves to underline the fact that modern day authors should have known better.

   
Made in us
Latest Wrack in the Pits




Boston, MA

Cronch wrote:
It's going to be ogors, imo. Chances of fimir, chaos dwarfs or any other background WFB race making it to AoS proper instead of them inventing a new one wholecloth is...not great? Especially since Idoneth are already the mist-shrouded raiders from the sea.


While you're probably right, they are both pretty explicitly referenced in the Core Book

Kabal of the Slit Throat ~2000pts
Elect of the Plaguefather 4500pts

 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

Drazhar’s base is the Eldar ruins (pretty sure)

   
Made in gb
Moustache-twirling Princeps




We'll find out soon enough eh.

Carlovonsexron wrote:
There is a distinct difference between that eample and the Fimir, which are:

A) Fictional, and therefore don't have to be written in a way that includes rape (look at warhammer Orks for an eample of that)

-and-

B) How the old Fimir HAVE to rape in order to reproduce.

I'd further argue that how normal rape was in past societies doesn't matter; it only matters how we in the current incarnation of society feel about the subject. Using past societies as examples of when rape was 'normalized' only serves to underline the fact that modern day authors should have known better.


That presumes someone buys into the idea that the mere depiction of a thing - regardless of the context or how it is presented - is bad if the thing being depicted is bad.

The Fimir as-was are never coming back, because GW has been firmly a parent-friendly company for many years now and no version of rape monsters are parent-friendly, but that's a reflection of GW's chosen audience, not a moral indictment of the writers 30 years ago who were writing for a different audience entirely. Modern society generally considers extreme violence to be undesirable as well, but anyone suggesting "modern day" authors have gone beyond the bounds of decency by merely referring to it happening in a work of fiction(because lets not lose sight of the fact that even at its edgiest, none of the Fimir-related material even got close to actually describing the act in question) would literally be laughed at.

Depiction is not endorsement.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in ca
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Edmonton, Alberta

 Yodhrin wrote:
Carlovonsexron wrote:
There is a distinct difference between that eample and the Fimir, which are:

A) Fictional, and therefore don't have to be written in a way that includes rape (look at warhammer Orks for an eample of that)

-and-

B) How the old Fimir HAVE to rape in order to reproduce.

I'd further argue that how normal rape was in past societies doesn't matter; it only matters how we in the current incarnation of society feel about the subject. Using past societies as examples of when rape was 'normalized' only serves to underline the fact that modern day authors should have known better.


That presumes someone buys into the idea that the mere depiction of a thing - regardless of the context or how it is presented - is bad if the thing being depicted is bad.

The Fimir as-was are never coming back, because GW has been firmly a parent-friendly company for many years now and no version of rape monsters are parent-friendly, but that's a reflection of GW's chosen audience, not a moral indictment of the writers 30 years ago who were writing for a different audience entirely. Modern society generally considers extreme violence to be undesirable as well, but anyone suggesting "modern day" authors have gone beyond the bounds of decency by merely referring to it happening in a work of fiction(because lets not lose sight of the fact that even at its edgiest, none of the Fimir-related material even got close to actually describing the act in question) would literally be laughed at.

Depiction is not endorsement.


The Fimir were suppose to be a reference to monstrous faye creatures in folklore who would kidnap people. It's just the the writer was ham-fisted in regards to giveing the Fimir a motivation for why they do this, and latter regretted making them a race of rape monsters.

In The Legend of Sigmar omnibus why the Fimir needed a virgin girl was left more ambiguous but was implied to be more sacrificial in nature. It ended up even being a plot point even that the fimir realised their plans wouldn't work because the girl was not a virgin. It has been a few years since I last read the Omnibus so i'm abit foggy on the details, but I recall the fimir being rape monsters were not part of their characterisation in the book, well still sticking to their inspiration as Faye monsters kidnapping people.

So the idea of retconning/adjusting the Fimir lore is something that GW has already played with in regards to their scant appearances in black library materiel.

In the end this is all fiction, and when fiction touches of subjects that make people uncomfortable it needs to be done with a purpose. Not just for shock factor, or some scene of "realism". This is a world with dragons and magic golden knights. Realism isn't a factor here.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/09/30 22:08:22


 
   
Made in gb
Veteran Wolf Guard Squad Leader





Here’s an option; no less gruesome but much less of a hot potato: they’re like any number of bugs and fungi that infest/infect some host species or other with their offspring, which eat them alive from the inside before ‘hatching’ as near-adults.

"Three months? I'm going to go crazy …and I'm taking you with me!"
— Vala Mal Doran
 
   
Made in fi
Chaplain with Hate to Spare






 Mr_Rose wrote:
Here’s an option; no less gruesome but much less of a hot potato: they’re like any number of bugs and fungi that infest/infect some host species or other with their offspring, which eat them alive from the inside before ‘hatching’ as near-adults.

Yep, this would work.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. 
   
Made in ca
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Edmonton, Alberta

 Crimson wrote:
 Mr_Rose wrote:
Here’s an option; no less gruesome but much less of a hot potato: they’re like any number of bugs and fungi that infest/infect some host species or other with their offspring, which eat them alive from the inside before ‘hatching’ as near-adults.

Yep, this would work.


So I can only imagen that going two ways.

Fantasy Chest Busters
or
Exploding into baby Fimir like a party popper exploding into confetti.
   
Made in gb
Plaguelord Titan Princeps of Nurgle





Portsmouth UK

today's image:

I have no idea on this one.

Check out my gallery here
Also I've started taking photos to use as reference for weathering which can be found here. Please send me your photos so they can be found all in one place!! 
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





well that's new and different! The emperors Polo clubs astartes chapter?

   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





it kinda looks like a duradain hammer:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/10/01 12:32:02


 
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos






Sigmar took up croquet?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/10/01 13:10:39


2750 Unliving Legion of the Zarith Dynasty
840 Imperial Knights of House Janis
2000 Khorne Bloodbound of the Skullfiend Tribe (Aqshy)
2000 Tzeentch Arcanites of the Cult of Searing Light (Hysh)
3000 Slaves to Darkness of the Legion of Rusted Chains (Allpoints/Azyr)
2500 Sylvaneth of the Seelie Court (Ghyran)
 
   
Made in gb
Screaming Shining Spear






 ImAGeek wrote:
Drazhar’s base is the Eldar ruins (pretty sure)



Aye aye sir.
It is so..

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/772746.page#10378083 - My progress/failblog painting blog thingy

AngryAngel80 wrote:
I don't know, when I see awesome rules, I'm like " Baby, your rules looking so fine. Maybe I gotta add you to my first strike battalion eh ? "
 
   
Made in us
Near Golden Daemon Caliber





Affton, MO. USA

 bubber wrote:
today's image:

I have no idea on this one.


Sigmarine whack-a-mole champion’s weapon.

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in se
Wolf Guard Bodyguard in Terminator Armor






 EnTyme wrote:
Sigmar took up croquet?


Sounds strange, but its hard to imagine it could be anything else.

The swirly jugend style pattern could litterally be anything these days from Guilliman to aelves or ghosts.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/10/02 10:12:15


 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




 DaveC wrote:
So it looks like this ones solved - Boenreaper mounted character just from the reverse angle


Yeah. Better picture on the war com article.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/07/lords-of-the-ossiarch-bonereapers-revealedgw-homepage-post-2/

The Arch-Kavalos, not the 'Liege-Kavaloi.'
Which I assume is GW doing something terrible to somebody's language.

Oddly, google translate suggests Kavaloi is cavalry in Esperanto of all things, and turns Kavalos into Καβάλος in Greek, and translates that to crotch.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/10/07 23:48:05


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





it's from latin/italian

   
Made in gb
Moustache-twirling Princeps




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 Lockark wrote:

In the end this is all fiction, and when fiction touches of subjects that make people uncomfortable it needs to be done with a purpose. Not just for shock factor, or some scene of "realism". This is a world with dragons and magic golden knights. Realism isn't a factor here.


Those are certainly opinions which you have every right to hold. They are not, however, a nigh-universally agreed moral imperative like "killing people is usually bad".

Personally, I disagree in both regards. The only justification required to include something in fiction is "the author wanted to include it". People are of course free to choose not to read things that contain things they find objectionable if the work doesn't meet their own personal standards for inclusion of objectionable content, but the move towards implying that the fact some people may be made uncomfortable by a work or choose not to read/watch something that contains such things constitutes a reason not to create the work in the first place, and further that it then follows authors and works that do regardless should be subject to some kind of moral judgement, is one I firmly disagree with. And while I didn't actually use the word "realism" in my post and don't use that as a blanket argument for or against anything, I also think using "it's just fantasy fiction" in a blanket fashion to claim, well, anything really, but most commonly some variation of "internal consistency doesn't matter" or "fantasy shouldn't broach challenging subjects or go beyond the level of YA fiction in its depictions of sex or violence" is nonsense.

Warhammer might have dragons, but in the context of WHF - ie, what the Fimir were written for and, again, they were written decades ago now - the idea of monsters who reproduce by abduction and either implied actual-rape or whatever other mystical-horror-ritual-thing you choose to use as a pretty obvious standin for actual-rape isn't actually any worse than all the other implied horrors people in the setting are subjected to. You can turn any depiction of any negative act or behaviour into an issue if you want to come at it in a certain way, for example, should Daemonettes and Slaaneshi cults be excised/retconned, given it's possible to interpret their use of drugs and mystical auras to overcome the will and inhibitions of their victims as being depictions of date-rape?

If GW want to bring back the Fimir in a form that will better fit their modern parent-friendly image, that's their right and I doubt anyone will be threatening to burn their armies in response, but just because their target audience has changed over the years doesn't mean they were someone guilty of a great moral wrong for writing the "edgy" version in the first place, and there is no actual absolute moral imperative that they should change them.

Anyway if you want to continue we can go to PMs.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




Carlovonsexron wrote:
it's from latin/italian


Really? What's the meaning?
There's quite a difference between the two for horse related things, and that's the closest association I can find, beyond a Greek place name.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in tw
Longtime Dakkanaut





Voss wrote:
Carlovonsexron wrote:
it's from latin/italian


Really? What's the meaning?
There's quite a difference between the two for horse related things, and that's the closest association I can find, beyond a Greek place name.



The 'Hellenized' it by dropping an 'L', and rendering the hard C as a K, but its its pretty reconizable to me as Cavallo (Italian, meanin a horse or a horseman), and Caballus (Latin, which can poeticly refer to a horse, or funny enough more a more day to day term for a pack horse.)
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cavallo#Italian

There seems to be some dispute over its ultimate origin being either from Celtic or Greek.

   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: