Switch Theme:

Frostgrave news and rumours - Red King and plastic Dæmons up for pre order - Pg4  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Been Around the Block




I think if people have the skill to design figures they can design accessories like this too, I wouldn't worry about that. It's a really nice gesture imo
   
Made in us
Experienced Saurus Scar-Veteran





California the Southern

I still think there'd be enough demand if they made a dedicated accessory sprue with some wings and other gear and trinkets on it.

I doubt I'd be alone in wanting multiples just to fiddle around with how to kit out my troops.

Poorly lit photos of my ever- growing collection of completely unrelated models!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/627383.page#7436324.html
Watch and listen to me ramble about these minis before ruining them with paint!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCB2mWIxhYF8Q36d2Am_2A 
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




Oh for sure. The more plastic frostgrave parts available, the better, imo. Particularly when the warband sets have 20 figures in and you only need 10 for a warband - give us conversion parts!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/07 18:07:13


 
   
Made in us
Deranged Necron Destroyer






Billicus wrote:
Oh for sure. The more plastic frostgrave parts available, the better, imo. Particularly when the warband sets have 20 figures in and you only need 10 for a warband - give us conversion parts!
While I guess this discussion is focused on getting more demon bits for converting the new demon kit, for those who don't know, Northstar has three metal conversion sets: Robin Hood/Forest outlaws, Cultist Sci-fi, and the PIRATE parts for Ghost Archipelago. [Now that the taboo is lifted, shout it! PIRATES! Arrr!]

Currently I'm resisting the temptation to get the Ghost Archipelago crewmen to convert them into Deep One hybrids. However, I really need to play a basic campaign of Five Leagues from the Borderlands, before I start throwing in more supplements for flavor. But snakemen and Deep Ones would be so cool ...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/07 20:26:21


Kings of War: Abyssal Dwarves, Dwarves, Elves, Undead, Northern Alliance [WiP], Nightstalkers [WiP]
Kings of War Historical: Macedonian [WiP]
Dropzone Commander: PHR
Kill Team: Deathwatch AdMech Necron

 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 bbb wrote:
I love that they are giving the 3d file away for this. I wonder if they did more free 3d accessories if that would sell additional kits.


This one definitely sold a demon box to me. I wasn't planning on picking one up (my still-in-box Frostgrave collection is getting...obscene) but now I'll probably toss one into my cart during the planned late-holiday sale thing this weekend.

 Ancestral Hamster wrote:
Currently I'm resisting the temptation to get the Ghost Archipelago crewmen to convert them into Deep One hybrids.


Guh. I... uh... YOU KEEP YOUR INCREDIBLY GOOD, TEMPTING IDEAS TO YOURSELF, SIR!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/08 04:09:11


 
   
Made in pl
Infiltrating Broodlord





Great article about step by step assembly, painting etc. of the Oathmark skellies http://nstarmagazine.com/OATHMARK_SKELETONS_FROM_SCRATCH_1.htm
   
Made in pl
Infiltrating Broodlord





Cover from the Bane of Kings
[Thumb - 51R3ga3LHoL._SX391_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




Joe McCullough's announced today that he's leaving Osprey as a salaried employee, but will continue to work on Frostgrave, Oathmark, Stargrave still going ahead, etc.

https://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.com/2021/01/farewell-osprey-publishing.html

Interesting stuff, particularly as he cites wanting more creative freedom and control - excited to see what else might come in future
   
Made in gb
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps





Warwickscire

Good luck to him. He's definitely had quite an impact on gaming these last 10 years with the success of Frostgrave amongst other things. Looking forward to what he does next and I hope we get to see more work on Rangers as well...
   
Made in de
Experienced Maneater






Billicus wrote:
Joe McCullough's announced today that he's leaving Osprey as a salaried employee, but will continue to work on Frostgrave, Oathmark, Stargrave still going ahead, etc.

https://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.com/2021/01/farewell-osprey-publishing.html

Interesting stuff, particularly as he cites wanting more creative freedom and control - excited to see what else might come in future

Interesting.
Rangers of Shadow Deep was already self-published (and the rulebook later picked up by Mophidius) instead of Osprey. Maybe he wants to push this (or similar projects) forward, be it alone or with his buddies from Blaster Magazine?


 
   
Made in gb
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps





Warwickscire

 Hanskrampf wrote:
Maybe he wants to push this (or similar projects) forward, be it alone or with his buddies from Blaster Magazine?


Hope so. For me, Joe has a way of weaving a ton of atmosphere into his works with very little backstory or lore. Can't tell what it is that he does, but it's thick in Frostgave and Rangers.
   
Made in de
Experienced Maneater






 zedmeister wrote:
 Hanskrampf wrote:
Maybe he wants to push this (or similar projects) forward, be it alone or with his buddies from Blaster Magazine?


Hope so. For me, Joe has a way of weaving a ton of atmosphere into his works with very little backstory or lore. Can't tell what it is that he does, but it's thick in Frostgave and Rangers.


I agree. Love the blue boxes scattered through the Frostgrave books, these are doing more for my imagination than 2 full pages of AoS/40k lore. Maybe because it's just the idea of a setting, like a writing prompt, instead of following a larger narrative.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/13 14:17:47



 
   
Made in gb
Been Around the Block




Yeah, you're encouraged to make Frostgrave your own, and that's one of the most compelling things about it. It's not like a GW game where they literally remove models and profiles and retcon things as if to say "If you liked this character or faction, you were wrong and now they're gone"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/13 14:21:45


 
   
Made in pl
Infiltrating Broodlord





Bold decision by Joe. I wish him all the best, and hopefully it will result in many awesome new games for us to enjoy.
   
Made in us
Deranged Necron Destroyer






 Hanskrampf wrote:
I agree. Love the blue boxes scattered through the Frostgrave books, these are doing more for my imagination than 2 full pages of AoS/40k lore. Maybe because it's just the idea of a setting, like a writing prompt, instead of following a larger narrative.
It's the power of suggestion. A little detail to spark the reader's imagination can be more effective than a full explanation. If something is explained like, "[X] is this, and here's what it means", the reader files that away, and stops thinking about it. The matter is settled. If things are left unclear, the reader's mind will linger on the subject for a bit, and speculate. The reader is engaged with the subject matter. Also, each individual will have their own take on the subject matter which will reflect their interests. For example, if filming a horror movie such as The Thing, it is more effective to never reveal the monster, as each viewer's imagination will fill it in with whatever is most frightening to them. If you show the monster, then it comes down to the quality of special effects, and if you've hit on someone's personal fear (such as spiders). Since Joe Mc uses the suggestion method, it builds more atmosphere than GW's direct statements.

Kings of War: Abyssal Dwarves, Dwarves, Elves, Undead, Northern Alliance [WiP], Nightstalkers [WiP]
Kings of War Historical: Macedonian [WiP]
Dropzone Commander: PHR
Kill Team: Deathwatch AdMech Necron

 
   
Made in pl
Infiltrating Broodlord





Some metal accessories for the wizards https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=15256
   
Made in gb
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot




UK

 Ancestral Hamster wrote:
Billicus wrote:
Oh for sure. The more plastic frostgrave parts available, the better, imo. Particularly when the warband sets have 20 figures in and you only need 10 for a warband - give us conversion parts!
While I guess this discussion is focused on getting more demon bits for converting the new demon kit, for those who don't know, Northstar has three metal conversion sets: Robin Hood/Forest outlaws, Cultist Sci-fi, and the PIRATE parts for Ghost Archipelago. [Now that the taboo is lifted, shout it! [color=orange]PIRATES![/color.


I doubt it would be a deal breaker for people here but the cultist sci fi sets I have ordered recently have come as resin parts not metal.

I like the sets and have been using them with 40k IG bits to make Blood Pact/ Renegade Guard.

   
Made in us
Deranged Necron Destroyer






alphaecho wrote:
I doubt it would be a deal breaker for people here but the cultist sci fi sets I have ordered recently have come as resin parts not metal.

I like the sets and have been using them with 40k IG bits to make Blood Pact/ Renegade Guard.
Did not know that: mine have not arrived yet. And its not a deal-breaker for me. At least resin and superglue bond well. With Stargrave on the way, I want to experiment with some of the Ghost Archipelago kits. If possible, using the cultist guns on the snakemen, although it looks like the snakemen arms are scaled, and the cultist arms are clothed.

Kings of War: Abyssal Dwarves, Dwarves, Elves, Undead, Northern Alliance [WiP], Nightstalkers [WiP]
Kings of War Historical: Macedonian [WiP]
Dropzone Commander: PHR
Kill Team: Deathwatch AdMech Necron

 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: