Switch Theme:

mcmattila's hobby projects - 40k, AoS, Underworlds  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Trigger-Happy Baal Predator Pilot






Sweet work on the Astra Rodentia Sentinal! Nice stalking pose, perfect for these vermin.

How did you get the near vertical face at the rear of the base? Was it cutting layers of cork or just smoothed filler?

Goberts Gubbins - A Random Oldhammer P&M Blog, now with added Blackstone Fortress 
   
Made in fi
Regular Dakkanaut





amazingturtles wrote:Aw, nice, I'm glad the name stuck. Astra Rodentia forever!
Sentinels are tons of fun, they're one of my favorites to see because of how creative people get with them and yours is amazing. the pilot looks perfect in there and the more animals on bases the better, i say.

Thanks again for the suggestion!
Animals on bases is indeed good, I'd been looking for an opportunity to use those rats that come with the Plague Monks for ages, and I'm glad that I finally got to work with a base bigger than 25mm!
gobert wrote:Sweet work on the Astra Rodentia Sentinal! Nice stalking pose, perfect for these vermin.
How did you get the near vertical face at the rear of the base? Was it cutting layers of cork or just smoothed filler?

Thanks gobert! The rear of the base is indeed just cut up cork. You can see the layers and the pitted texture, which I'm not completely happy with, but it does somewhat resemble concrete.. I would like it to be completely vertical and smooth, and to paint it black, but I'll have to come up with a way to do it so that it looks nice. I did think about filler/clay, but I wasn't confident that I could get it straight and smooth by hand.

---

A bit of a sneak peak of what I'm working on now: a Lord of Plagues. As you can (maybe) tell, it has been zenithally undercoated which is a first for me. Since taking the photo I've started painting him, and already have the skin and armor pretty much done. So hopefully I'll get to show the finished model very soon! His base is pretty much done, just the SC helmet to paint when I decide on the color. Also, the dirt on the base is quite a bit more red IRL, the basecoat is Doombull Brown. Couldn't get the hue right with my phone cam.


My P&M log here on Dakka [WIP and finished work]
My blog on Wordpress [Finished work] 
   
Made in gb
Trigger-Happy Baal Predator Pilot






Great work on the base, surely the stormcast helmet needs to match one of your units?

Goberts Gubbins - A Random Oldhammer P&M Blog, now with added Blackstone Fortress 
   
Made in se
Resentful Grot With a Plan






The Lord of Plagues looks promising, especially the base. Also, the sentinel from last week is fantastic. It looks a bit like the driver has torticollis in the WIP pictures, but with the sentinel leaning forwards, I think the pose makes sense. You've done a great job with the painting, too, with all the weathering effects and crispy details. More Astra Rodentia, please!

Check out my army, the 414th Cadian!
Also known as the Imperial Mushroom Hunters, this expeditionary force is
deployed by the Adeptus Astra Telepathica to hunt for psyche-enhancing fungi.

Dakka Thread Instagram Account  
   
Made in fi
Regular Dakkanaut





gobert wrote:Great work on the base, surely the stormcast helmet needs to match one of your units?

Thanks gobert! That's a classic idea, and I thought about it, but that would mean the only option is to paint it silver. I'll have to see if it works okay with the rest of the model, or if gold or some other color would be better. Of course silver/gray is a neutral color, so it should be okay.
Pomander Cask wrote:The Lord of Plagues looks promising, especially the base. Also, the sentinel from last week is fantastic. It looks a bit like the driver has torticollis in the WIP pictures, but with the sentinel leaning forwards, I think the pose makes sense. You've done a great job with the painting, too, with all the weathering effects and crispy details. More Astra Rodentia, please!

Cheers Pomander Cask, and welcome to the blog! No worries, more rats are definitely inbound I've got plans for a lot of models, but they'll have to wait until next year. I'll have to finish the Nurgle Lord first and maybe some other projects too..

My P&M log here on Dakka [WIP and finished work]
My blog on Wordpress [Finished work] 
   
Made in au
Death-Dealing Ultramarine Devastator





Australia

That sentinel looks great mcmattila!! I've been meaning to pick some up for my Vostrpyans but haven't gotten round to it yet!

 
   
Made in fi
Regular Dakkanaut





 zahnib wrote:
That sentinel looks great mcmattila!! I've been meaning to pick some up for my Vostrpyans but haven't gotten round to it yet!

Thanks zahnib! I can heartily recommend the kit!

---

Lord of Plagues is now done!



I bought the model last month after a pretty insane work week, deciding I had earned something nice The Lord was on stock in my FLGS, and as the price isn't as extortionate as GW's more recent character models I picked him up. I know this model is often used for all sorts of cool (INQ28) conversions, but as the basic model is so close to perfect I wanted this one to remain in stock form. I did however build him a bit more elaborate base to make him stand out a bit more.

As this model was bought purely for painting and not for an existing army, I thought it would be a good platform to try out some new things. Firstly, the model got a zenithal undercoating, as you saw in my sneak peek from the last post. I can't really tell if it has a lot of effect on the finished model, as I might have still painted with too thick paint, but it certainly helped me to position shadows and highlights more easily. It's definitely something that I want to come back to in the future though.

Secondly, rather than trying to paint the armor smoothly, I wanted to use stippling both for easier color transitions and to give an impression of the armor being pitted and banged up, which I think work well as there is already quite a lot of sculpted damage to begin with. There's still room for improvement in my stippling, but I'm pretty happy with the light-to-dark contrast that I achieved.



For the paint scheme I wanted to do something a bit different from the default green. I had seen Andrew King's rather wonderful blue Nurgle army in White Dwarf, and decided to try something like that. Andrew used Thunderhawk Blue as the basecolor for his armor, but as my local shop doesn't stock it I used Stegadon Scale Green. The color was a bit more green than I'd have liked, but glazing some Guilliman Blue on top worked out well to correct this.

To complement the colder blue tones of the armor I wanted the base to have warm red dirt on it (now you can see the actual color). Happily, WHTV recently published a tutorial on the new Underworlds Goblin Riders. I used the basing recipe (with some alterations) in it and got a really nice result. Some weathering powders could probably take it to the next level, but I'll leave experimenting with those for another time.

I'm using this model to claim a square in the hobby bingo: "paint a model from an army you don't already collect". Now, while I don't expect him to grow into an army anytime soon, I might just get some Plague Bearers for him to broodingly watch over. Or maybe his little brother, the Lord of Blights!

Spoiler:


And with that, my 2019 hobby year is pretty much over. I might try to sneak in a bit of building before the new year, but definitely wont be finishing anything. I still want to do a wrap-up post for the year, but as I'm not going to get it up before tomorrow, I wish happy holidays to everyone!

My P&M log here on Dakka [WIP and finished work]
My blog on Wordpress [Finished work] 
   
Made in gb
Painting Within the Lines





Love the armour, the stippling worked well.

   
Made in us
Stoic Grail Knight





drinking tea in the snow

Yeah, i like the stippling a lot. He turned out excellently!

realism is a lie
 
   
Made in us
Near Golden Daemon Caliber





Affton, MO. USA

The armor and skin are great . Also love that verdigris.

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in gb
Trigger-Happy Baal Predator Pilot






Great stippling on the Lord of Plagues, really adds to his best up look, and the dusty dry brush on his lower half ties him in nicely to the base. Nice work!

Goberts Gubbins - A Random Oldhammer P&M Blog, now with added Blackstone Fortress 
   
Made in se
Resentful Grot With a Plan






Yes, very nice work! Your idea of complementing the blue armour with a red-brown base really worked out well. Also good work on the hobby bingo, you've checked off more squares than me.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/12/23 21:07:36


Check out my army, the 414th Cadian!
Also known as the Imperial Mushroom Hunters, this expeditionary force is
deployed by the Adeptus Astra Telepathica to hunt for psyche-enhancing fungi.

Dakka Thread Instagram Account  
   
Made in fi
Regular Dakkanaut





aku-chan wrote:Love the armour, the stippling worked well.

Thank you very much!
amazingturtles wrote:Yeah, i like the stippling a lot. He turned out excellently!

Much appreciated!
Theophony wrote:The armor and skin are great . Also love that verdigris.

Thanks Theo! The verdigris was actually one thing that I wasn't super happy with, at least on the axe head. But I don't really know how I'd change it either.. Good to hear that it looks good to you! I'll keep experimenting
gobert wrote:Great stippling on the Lord of Plagues, really adds to his best up look, and the dusty dry brush on his lower half ties him in nicely to the base. Nice work!

Cheers! I was also really happy with the drybrushed dust effect. I mean, I do it with basically every mini, but there was something with this one that it worked surprisingly well!
Pomander Cask wrote:Yes, very nice work! Your idea of complementing the blue armour with a red-brown base really worked out well. Also good work on the hobby bingo, you've checked off more squares than me.

Thanks a lot Pomander! Ahh, a fellow bingo player! I had fun checking off squares, but still couldn't get a bingo (see below). But maybe this year!

---

All right, time to look at what I managed to paint during 2019!



Above you can see the tally (apologies for the photo quality, my setup still isn't ideal for big group shots). When they're all brought out like this it.. Doesn't actually look like much. But I'm very happy with each and every one of them, and with space (and wife's tolerance) being a limited commodity I think my output has been just right!

All in all, I finished 57 models, which was about the same as last year, and more than a model per week on average, which was my target at the beginning of the year. Here's a list of all the models:

Spiteclaw's Swarm (5 models)
Scatter terrain and objective markers (12 models)
SCE Liberators with hammers (5 models)
SCE Liberators with swords (5 models
SM Devastator Squad (5 models)
Warzone Trooper
SM Ironclad Dreadnought
SM Captain
SCE Retributors (3 models)
AR infantry (5 models)
Thorns of the Briar Queen (7 models)
Stormsire's Cursebreakers (3 models)
Ork Boyz (2 models)
AR Sentinel
Lord of Plagues

So yeah, not too shabby. During the past year I've embarked on a number of new (slow-grow) projects, such as the Astra Rodentia and Orks. I've also continued adding to older ones, such as my Revelators Space Marines, Underworlds warbands and working on the AoS 1st edition starter set. I've upped my weathering game and dabbled on more complex freehand designs than last year. I got to say that painting various projects with different color schemes and mixing things up with new techniques definitely helps to keep things fresh and motivating.

Speaking of motivation, there were/are two bloggers that deserve much credit for influencing me to pick the projects that I did and actually getting them done in a timely fashion! One is of course Azazel with his monthly hobby challenges. I did have a little time management mishap and missed one month's deadline, but for the other 11 I got at least one miniature done.

The other blogger is Rob Hawkins, whose hobby bingo card has been a fun additional game on top of finishing models. Below you can see my finished card for the year. After finishing the Lord of Plagues I looked at the card and noticed that I had painted some models that hadn't been used for the card even though they could've been. I used the two SCE squads to cross off two additional squares, but even with that I couldn't get a bingo. No matter though, I'll try again next year with a little more ambition, and try to get at least that one bingo!



Of course, there's still one more blogger that I shouldn't forget when it comes to motivation: me! Sharing my work here on Dakka and on my blog and getting amazing feedback from you guys has pushed me to paint and finish stuff much more consistently than I otherwise would. So thank you, reader, for taking a look and commenting!

And that's it for 2019! Here's hoping for an even better 2020! I already have some great models in the queue and many plans in my head, hopefully I'll have enough time to transform many of those into finished minis!

My P&M log here on Dakka [WIP and finished work]
My blog on Wordpress [Finished work] 
   
Made in fi
Shrieking Guardian Jetbiker





Finland, Espoo

I have been absent for a while, so had to do some catching up. It's always fun to read a well laid out hobby thread with good quality pictures, writing and modelling work!

So, firstly: late congrats on getting married dude! It's a big step.

You have produced a bunch of really amazing looking models during the autumn.
I liked the Cursebreakers a lot. The colors on them work really well and you pulled the blending effects nicely.
The Astra Rodentia (a fitting name btw) models are maybe my favorites. And oh boy does that sentinel look badass! The dynamic pose works wonders.

First time hearing about zenithal priming. I have to do some research and give it a shot when I find a suitable project.
I have been a bit lazy when it comes to researching new techniques. I should do that more.

Also, what kind of photo setup do you have at the moment? I'm still trying to combat the darkness that covers our grim student flat with mixed results. I bought a small light box from ebay which helped a lot, but that is way too small for group shots. Might need to buy a bigger one anyway.

Keep up the good work in 2020!

   
Made in ca
Stoic Grail Knight





drinking tea in the snow

57 isn't small at all, it's an impressive number! It's been a blast following your progress this year, so I say keep up the good work too.

Astra Rodentia forever!

realism is a lie
 
   
Made in au
Death-Dealing Ultramarine Devastator





Australia

That's some awesome progress over the year mcmattila! Super diverse range of very well painted minis! Your Lord of Plague looks great, I especially like the pitted effect on the armour and the flesh around the belly.

Look forward to seeing what you get up to in 2020!

 
   
Made in gb
Trigger-Happy Baal Predator Pilot






I’ve gotta agree with turtles, 57 is a good number. Especially with such quality! Shame you didn’t get a bingo, you’ll have to strategise a way across the board or two!

Goberts Gubbins - A Random Oldhammer P&M Blog, now with added Blackstone Fortress 
   
Made in fi
Regular Dakkanaut





Ezki wrote:I have been absent for a while, so had to do some catching up. It's always fun to read a well laid out hobby thread with good quality pictures, writing and modelling work!

So, firstly: late congrats on getting married dude! It's a big step.

You have produced a bunch of really amazing looking models during the autumn.
I liked the Cursebreakers a lot. The colors on them work really well and you pulled the blending effects nicely.
The Astra Rodentia (a fitting name btw) models are maybe my favorites. And oh boy does that sentinel look badass! The dynamic pose works wonders.

First time hearing about zenithal priming. I have to do some research and give it a shot when I find a suitable project.
I have been a bit lazy when it comes to researching new techniques. I should do that more.

Also, what kind of photo setup do you have at the moment? I'm still trying to combat the darkness that covers our grim student flat with mixed results. I bought a small light box from ebay which helped a lot, but that is way too small for group shots. Might need to buy a bigger one anyway.

Keep up the good work in 2020!

Welcome back Ezki, and thank you very much for the kind words!

The AR are probably my favorites as well, and the Sentinel might just be my model of the year..

I recommend Vince Venturella's videos on Youtube for zenithal priming/undercoating. I think he uses it for basically every model, and his videos are really informative and thorough. I think Miniac also did a good video on the subject.

For my photography setup, I use an old, entry-level DSLR with a cheap 50mm lense, and a tripod (a cheap one from Motonet). My lights are just a couple of wildly different desk lamps, which to be honest are not ideal for photography (or painting). I take photos of single models/squads on a piece of printer paper (and using the aforementioned lights), but this latest group photo was taken on our kitchen table with just the ceiling lamp (not much light coming from the windows either). The key to the setup is the tripod which allows me to increase the shutter time (more light), and the manual settings mode which helps to get the colors correct. I shoot in RAW and use (mostly) the auto settings on Photoshop to get the colors as good as I can. I also recently got a gray card which helps to get the colors right even more accurately, but to be honest it hasn't made a huge difference. But more than anything, I suggest reading this article from Tale of Painters. What I do is basically all learned from there. There's also one for smartphones, though I haven't really dived into it.
amazingturtles wrote:57 isn't small at all, it's an impressive number! It's been a blast following your progress this year, so I say keep up the good work too.
Astra Rodentia forever!

Thanks for the compliments, and for naming my rats! Astra Rodentia forever!
zahnib wrote:That's some awesome progress over the year mcmattila! Super diverse range of very well painted minis! Your Lord of Plague looks great, I especially like the pitted effect on the armour and the flesh around the belly.
Look forward to seeing what you get up to in 2020!

Cheers! Variety is the spice of (hobby) life!
gobert wrote:I’ve gotta agree with turtles, 57 is a good number. Especially with such quality! Shame you didn’t get a bingo, you’ll have to strategise a way across the board or two!

Thanks! Yeah, I'll have to plan out my bingo projects a bit better this year, and hopefully get at least one whole row by the end of year. I think the issue in 2019 was the terrain related squares. I'll have to try and rectify that this year! Nevertheless, the bingo will have to wait just a little while, as Rob said in his end-of-2019 post that he'll redesign the board a bit for this year. I'll wait and see what's it like first.

My P&M log here on Dakka [WIP and finished work]
My blog on Wordpress [Finished work] 
   
Made in fi
Shrieking Guardian Jetbiker





Finland, Espoo

 mcmattila wrote:


For my photography setup, I use an old, entry-level DSLR with a cheap 50mm lense, and a tripod (a cheap one from Motonet). My lights are just a couple of wildly different desk lamps, which to be honest are not ideal for photography (or painting). I take photos of single models/squads on a piece of printer paper (and using the aforementioned lights), but this latest group photo was taken on our kitchen table with just the ceiling lamp (not much light coming from the windows either). The key to the setup is the tripod which allows me to increase the shutter time (more light), and the manual settings mode which helps to get the colors correct. I shoot in RAW and use (mostly) the auto settings on Photoshop to get the colors as good as I can. I also recently got a gray card which helps to get the colors right even more accurately, but to be honest it hasn't made a huge difference. But more than anything, I suggest reading this article from Tale of Painters. What I do is basically all learned from there. There's also one for smartphones, though I haven't really dived into it.


Thanks for the tips!
It seems we have quite the similar setup, even the lens. I think I have to play around with the lights a bit more. Could also try to use a bit slower shutter speed, which was a good tip.
I have also thought about getting a grey card, but have not bothered yet. Could give it a try. So far I have been fixing the white balance in Photoshop with a few different techniques.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/01/06 23:42:56


   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Love that nurgle guy, particularly that disgusting gut and the stippling on the armour has worked well too. Nice end of year shot, a collection to be proud of.
   
Made in fi
Regular Dakkanaut





Maharg wrote:
Love that nurgle guy, particularly that disgusting gut and the stippling on the armour has worked well too. Nice end of year shot, a collection to be proud of.

Thanks a lot Maharg! I'm very proud of the collection, and look forward to making it bigger this year! Unfortunately I'm soon running out of display space on my Detolf, so I'll have to start looking into storage solutions for some of my minis..

---

Alright, let’s get the hobby year 2020 started! I wanted to pick a small project to ease myself back to painting after a bit of a hiatus, so here’s Lieutenant Varras from the Battle for Macragge box.



I didn’t get any hobbying done during Christmas / New Year, due to not being home for the majority of them. But since then I’ve slowly been building and prepping models to eventually paint, and during last weekend and Epiphany Monday managed to paint up one of them. Varras had been sitting on my table for pretty long, and of course he’s been in my possession since the release of BfM in 2004. I had actually painted the model back then, but as he wasn’t really a part of my Ultramarine army, and I was never really happy with how he looked, I decided to strip him and give him a new paintjob.



Painting was rather straightforward, I used the same palette as for my Revelators, with the difference that I painted the pouches and holsters brown instead of black to bring in some additional color. I also tried out Citadel’s new paint triad for dark skin, and am very happy with the result. Definitely using it for some other models as well!



Painting this model pretty much finished the Space Marine side of BfM, as I have already painted the objective markers and a Tactical Squad (will have to do a marine with a flamer at some point). The squad is of course not the one from the box, but that’s fine as, to be frank, the BfM marine sculpts and casts were mostly terrible. I might get to the Tyranids at some point, as I think I’ve got most of the minis still in my possession. I’ve also tried to get hold of the Aquila lander terrain pieces (I still kick myself for binning those as a teenager), but so far the prices have been a bit too much.

Finally, I’ll begin filling the hobby bingo card as well. The card is a bit different than last year, as Rob redesigned it just this month. Let’s see if I’ll do better this time! I’ll cross off the “to-do pile model”, I think Varras qualifies.
Spoiler:

My P&M log here on Dakka [WIP and finished work]
My blog on Wordpress [Finished work] 
   
Made in us
Near Golden Daemon Caliber





Affton, MO. USA

Nicely done alt. Vargas there.

I think I will print out that bingo board and start work on it. I just bought the start collecting set for Khorne and I’m on my way to building/painting it. So you have laid down the gauntlet sort of

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in us
Long-Range Black Templar Land Speeder Pilot






London

Love Lt Varras. Boy that lad is a blast from the past! Still have a few of them knocking around which I keep meaning to paint up in the classic ultra scheme



Relapse wrote:
Baron, don't forget to talk about the SEALs and Marines you habitually beat up on 2 and 3 at a time, as you PM'd me about.
nareik wrote:
Perhaps it is a lube issue, seems obvious now.
 
   
Made in fi
Shrieking Guardian Jetbiker





Finland, Espoo

The skin turned out really really well! The model looks very good all around.

Good luck with the hobby bingo in 2020!

   
Made in fi
Regular Dakkanaut





Theophony wrote:Nicely done alt. Vargas there.
I think I will print out that bingo board and start work on it. I just bought the start collecting set for Khorne and I’m on my way to building/painting it. So you have laid down the gauntlet sort of

Thanks! I'll be sure to follow your progress, let's see which one of us gets more squares crossed off I don''t think I'll be able to get that starter set square. Unless.. Hmm.. If I finish the Khorne side of the AoS1 starter, that could count..
IGtR= wrote:Love Lt Varras. Boy that lad is a blast from the past! Still have a few of them knocking around which I keep meaning to paint up in the classic ultra scheme

Cheers! I was debating for a long time whether to paint him like the box art or some other scheme, but in the end I went with my chapter colors / a neutral gray. If I had more copies (and I wouldn't say no to them), I'd surely paint one as an Ultra.
Ezki wrote:The skin turned out really really well! The model looks very good all around.
Good luck with the hobby bingo in 2020!

Much obliged! I'm off to a good start at least!

---

Time for a WIP pic, of which I feel I haven't been posting much lately. Too busy painting (and playing video games..) to snap photos I'm back to the Underworlds, working my way to finish my collection of Shadespire warbands. The Farstriders are up, and I'm trying a new color scheme. So far I've got the armor, the black leather and the cloaks done, and basecoated the brown-red leather bits. I still have to do some red spot colors, the metals on the weapons and some details, the bases and the bird. I still haven't settled on color scheme for it, but maybe when I get the other stuff done it'll be easier to decide.






My P&M log here on Dakka [WIP and finished work]
My blog on Wordpress [Finished work] 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





A very educational visit for me this time. Interesting to see the GW skin tones on your latest model (great paint job by the way) - I recently got them but haven't got round to using them, good to see they work well.
I'm also painting the farstriders at the moment, and hadn't noticed the fur cloaks go round the front of the model until I saw yours. I like the aged look you've gone for on these, I think it's a better loo for them than the normal clean approach, wondering if I need to change mine up a bit now...
Thanks for posting the photography link, I've just bought a DSLR but have no idea how to use it properly, that guide will save reading through many, many pages of instructions!
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut






Farstriders look really cool, that muted gold sets a nice atmosphere and the fur cloaks are great. Excited to see how you'll finish the models.
   
Made in fi
Shrieking Guardian Jetbiker





Finland, Espoo

Liking the gold, good job!

Sometimes figuring out the color scheme is the hardest part of a project.

   
Made in gb
Painting Within the Lines





Great capes!

   
Made in gb
Trigger-Happy Baal Predator Pilot






Sweet work on their golds, very ancient looking! Care to share the recipe?

Goberts Gubbins - A Random Oldhammer P&M Blog, now with added Blackstone Fortress 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka P&M Blogs
Go to: