Switch Theme:

What aspect of miniature wargaming is most important to you?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
What aspect of miniature wargaming is most important to you?
Social life
Painting
Collecting
Playing the actual games
Background/Fiction
Other (Write in)

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
[ADMIN]
Da Big Mek






London, UK

What aspect of miniature wargaming is most important to you? We all tend to like most aspects of the hobby, but what would you say is the biggest attraction for you to miniature wargaming?

Check out our new, fully plastic tabletop wargame - Maelstrom's Edge, made by Dakka!
 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






Columbia, SC (USA)

I chose "Other" because I prefer building/converting/customizing over the other choices. That's not to say that the listed choices aren't important to me, but if you limited me to one choice for the rest of my days, I'd spend them tweaking minis to look the way I want. GS sculpting, lots of bits and odds/ends, and casting allow for unlimited variation.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that painting or collecting a stock figure, without changing it, just doesn't excite me much. Plastic and resin models that make it easy to vary heads, arms, poses lead to figures that are fun to paint and play. Metal models are often cool and esquitely detailed but some of the glam is lost when ten other guys in the room are using the exact same model or when you have a squad with three or four of that exact same pose.

Just my two cents in support of the "Other" category!
   
Made in ca
Avatar of the Bloody-Handed God





Inactive

Its nice to see some nice info on this matter, great idea for a poll legoburner!

Paused
◙▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
           ◂◂  ►  ▐ ▌  ◼  ▸▸
          ʳʷ   ᵖˡᵃʸ  ᵖᵃᵘˢᵉ  ˢᵗᵒᵖ   ᶠᶠ 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka





Southampton

LunaHound wrote:Its nice to see some nice info on this matter, great idea for a poll legoburner!


I'm guessing it was your conflagration of a thread which gave him the idea

   
Made in gb
Roarin' Runtherd





Cumbria

All of the following!!!!! Thats whats makes my hobby!

my armies: :1000pts+
:750pts (work in procress) :1000pts+ Empire: wip!!!
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are one of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.

Pls check out my gallery http://www.dakkadakka.com/core/gallery-user.jsp?u=12160 
   
Made in gb
[ADMIN]
Da Big Mek






London, UK

Flashman wrote:
LunaHound wrote:Its nice to see some nice info on this matter, great idea for a poll legoburner!


I'm guessing it was your conflagration of a thread which gave him the idea


Actually, it was Jervis Johnson's latest standard bearer article. God I feel so dirty... so very dirty

Check out our new, fully plastic tabletop wargame - Maelstrom's Edge, made by Dakka!
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Las Vegas

legoburner wrote:
Flashman wrote:
LunaHound wrote:Its nice to see some nice info on this matter, great idea for a poll legoburner!


I'm guessing it was your conflagration of a thread which gave him the idea


Actually, it was Jervis Johnson's latest standard bearer article. God I feel so dirty... so very dirty


You should feel dirty!

I vote OTHER. For me its all aspects of the game.

BTW, the new homepage looks great!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2009/06/28 21:55:13


 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Burtucky, Michigan

I voted other. Simply because I love the aspect of converting/painting/fluff discussing, all rolled up into one large lump of fun-ness

 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka





Southampton

legoburner wrote:
Flashman wrote:
LunaHound wrote:Its nice to see some nice info on this matter, great idea for a poll legoburner!


I'm guessing it was your conflagration of a thread which gave him the idea


Actually, it was Jervis Johnson's latest standard bearer article. God I feel so dirty... so very dirty


That was going to be my second guess

   
Made in us
Battleship Captain






I enjoy pretty much every aspect of the hobby, but the big ones are the backround and social life.

Backround is important other wise it wouldn't make much sense.

The social life part of the hobby (in my experiance) is important because you get to hang out and meet cool people and goof off.
   
Made in ca
Huge Hierodule






Outflanking

I enjoy painting most of all. There is just something about takeing bare plastic and turning it into an army with character.

Converting is second. I do, however, have to limit how much I do or I start going nuts (Looks at Ork Painboy dentist, Ork dressed as a UN Peacekeeper, Ork with Chainsaws instead of Hands)

Gameing is third. Nice way to pit your mind against someone elses.


P.S. What was Jervis blathering about this time?

Q: What do you call a Dinosaur Handpuppet?

A: A Maniraptor 
   
Made in us
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant




Adumar

I just love all of it. I like the social part because you get to hang out with friends and maybe meet new people.

I love painting them, because it gives me a fun little challenge for the day. the collecting is also fun simply to just watch your armies grow.

Playing the game is 100% awesome!

and the fiction is exciting to read and write about.


"We Die Standing" 
   
Made in us
Calculating Commissar





Ellensburg, Washington

The fluff. I write my own for every army I own or wish I own. It helps pass the time.

EDIT: In the year i have played 40k, I have only finished 2 games, one being yesterday. I have writen more fluff then I have actualy played. I am truly in it for the fluff.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2009/08/16 18:49:10


40k: IG "The Poli-Aima 1st" ~3500pts (and various allies)
KHADOR
X-Wing (Empire Strong)
 Ouze wrote:
I can't wait to buy one of these, open the box, peek at the sprues, and then put it back in the box and store it unpainted for years.
 
   
Made in us
[ARTICLE MOD]
Fixture of Dakka






Chicago

Other:

I cannot pick between modelling/painting and gaming. They're the two parts I really enjoy, and I enjoy them equally.

   
Made in us
Slippery Scout Biker





Louisville, KY

I love the gaming aspect and painting to a limited degree. Mostly, I'm into wargaming for the social part of it. Meeting interesting people, even jerks, that I wouldn't normally meet is great. Also, attending cons adds to that. I could meet interesting people through more mainstream activities but the best people I ever met has been through wargames, RPGs, Renaissance faires, martial arts, shooting, etc.

Plus, creating an army to pwn some smack talking n00b is also great fun.
   
Made in gb
Repentia Mistress





Glasgow, UK

The game itself, the aesthetic of the models, but also being part of a gaming fraternity.
   
Made in ca
Guard Heavy Weapon Crewman






The game is first and foremost for me. I have long neglected the hobby side of the game. I love seeing well painted armies but lack the skill/patience to make one of my own.

3000pts+ 
   
Made in za
Junior Officer with Laspistol





South Africa

Since I have no one to play against in my area I am mainly a painter.I love painting,only ever played one or two games in 4th edition.But I will would like to get out and game more.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."-Groucho Marx
 
   
Made in us
Wolf Guard Bodyguard in Terminator Armor





Utah

avery thing about the hobby is fun

DR:90+S++G++M+B++I+Pw40kPwmhd+ID+++A++/wWD359R+++++T(M)DM+
Deff Gearz 2,000+pts. (50% painted), Retribution 57pt.(70% painted), FOW British Armoured Squadron 1660pts. (15% painted)

 
   
Made in gb
Crafty Clanrat




Northern Ireland

Lore by far

 
   
Made in us
Humming Great Unclean One of Nurgle





Georgia,just outside Atlanta

Other*
I enjoy converting/kitbashing & modeling most,however I love pretty much all aspects of the hobby.


"I'll tell you one thing that every good soldier knows! The only thing that counts in the end is power! Naked merciless force!" .-Ursus.

I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
<small>Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.</small>

I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
 
   
Made in ph
Screamin' Stormboy




Cebu, Phillipines

Playing the game!!

As much as I love painting to death to make them realistic (which I can't seem to accomplish) or converting them like mad, the reason I got into this is to play!

Plus the attention when passerby's look at my stuff!! ^_^

KingCracker wrote:
frgsinwntr wrote:in fact... 2 ICs can join together to be their own Unit now : )



Then they will hold hands and be HAPPY!


95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building copy and paste this if you are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair grab some popcorn and yell JUMP BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
   
Made in us
Da Head Honcho Boss Grot





Minnesota

Another write in for "conversions".

The Emperor doesn't seem to do much for you but you sure are expected to be mutilated, suffer, and die to make him happy. And is he dead or what? If he's entombed that would mean he's dead as a doornail, right? So, how can he be happy about anything you do, or even give orders to anyone? Are you worshipping the dead now? Is that something you'd really want to do? Because it sounds freaking creepy to me.
 
   
Made in us
Honored Helliarch on Hypex





Back in GA

I am kinda suprised you did not have a catagory for Winning at All Costs. I wonder how that would change the percentages. For me its the paint side simply because it tends to lead into the social side as well. People are more apt to talk to you about a good looking army then the power gamer with 3 colors hehe.

I do what the voices in my wifes head say...
 
   
Made in au
[DCM]
-- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . .-.






Toowoomba, Australia

This is a tough one.

I went with gaming, only because I wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't for the games.

But I try to with the best painted awards at tourneys.
40K background is an excellent read in the novels from BL.
I buy the rarer special edition minis and put them in a box, unopened.
Alot of my friends play the games.

2017: Wargames Played: 45/Models Bought: 39 Sold: 103/ Painted: 4
2016: Games: 90/ Models Bought: 169/ Sold: 3/ Painted: 72
2015: Games: 86, Models bought: 456/ Sold: 76/ Painted: 70
2014: Games: 90, Models bought: 187/ Sold: 73/ Painted: 100
2013 : Games: 124, Models bought: 325/Sold: 115/Painted: 165
2012: Games: 112, Models Bought: 195 /Sold: 466/Painted: 101
 
   
Made in ca
Avatar of the Bloody-Handed God





Inactive


Ahh if only the other thread wasnt locked i'll point this thread to them... only 26% xD
solid proves (others) do exist.

Paused
◙▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
           ◂◂  ►  ▐ ▌  ◼  ▸▸
          ʳʷ   ᵖˡᵃʸ  ᵖᵃᵘˢᵉ  ˢᵗᵒᵖ   ᶠᶠ 
   
Made in au
Gore-Soaked Lunatic Witchhunter






Australia (Recently ravaged by the Hive Fleet Ginger Overlord)

I chose other becuase I just can't CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!!!

Smacks wrote:
After the game, pack up all your miniatures, then slap the guy next to you on the ass and say.

"Good game guys, now lets hit the showers"
 
   
Made in us
Lead-Footed Trukkboy Driver





Auburn, CA

Other - building the models, terrain, etc followed by painting.

This is opposite how I feel about board wargaming where the ruleset and how fun the game is to play are the most important.

Waagh! Lagduf
Sons of Vulkan
Cadian Mountain Division
 
   
Made in ca
Trigger-Happy Baal Predator Pilot




Toronto (GTA), Ontario

All of the above+conversions+scratchbuilding and then some. lol

Dracos wrote:Codex does not override rulebook. Specific rules (generally those found in codex tend to be more specific) override general rules in case of conflict.
 
   
Made in us
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos






For me it is about the actual modeling and converting both of models and terrain. I spend many hours doing so, far more then I actually play...

++ Death In The Dark++ A Zone Mortalis Hobby Project Log: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/663090.page#8712701
 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Polls
Go to: