Switch Theme:

NOVA Open; Reg Is Open - 8/31-9/3/17; Primary Hotel Sold Out; Many Events Sold Out; 2,000+ Attending  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Stalwart Dark Angels Space Marine




Centreville, Virginia, USA

 rawne2510 wrote:
I can only exalt that reply once Gah.

On a separate note I see you guys run Death from the skies within the format. Do we have to run the dogfight phase as well or do we just ignore that bit but not all the rule changes.


Yes you do have to run the phase. Or you don't. Its pretty much up to you. Death from the skies says pretty much the same thing. SO if you both don't want to play that phase you don't have to. But if one of you does and the other doesn't you need to roll off to see if it'll happen or not.

Rogue Trader Gaming Blog - Where I post all my warhammer 40k related stuff

Huzzah Hobbies-WH40k - Huzzah Hobbies' Warhammer 40k Google Group

 
   
Made in gb
Stealthy Kroot Stalker





 elphilo wrote:
 rawne2510 wrote:
I can only exalt that reply once Gah.

On a separate note I see you guys run Death from the skies within the format. Do we have to run the dogfight phase as well or do we just ignore that bit but not all the rule changes.


Yes you do have to run the phase. Or you don't. Its pretty much up to you. Death from the skies says pretty much the same thing. SO if you both don't want to play that phase you don't have to. But if one of you does and the other doesn't you need to roll off to see if it'll happen or not.


I understand that is the book ruling of it but wasn't sure if that was how NOVA were going to run it as that really helps people who want to slow play the game by adding 5 mins per turn
   
Made in us
Beast of Nurgle




Philadelphia, PA

People aren't bringing flyers and jockeying to run the dogfight phase in order to slow play when there are so many trivially easy ways to slow play that don't involve wasting points on flyers.

15000+ points 3000 points 2500 points 1500 points
 
   
Made in gb
Stealthy Kroot Stalker





No but not all flyers are a waste of points with the abilities you get from death from the skies. the formation bonus to ignore cover or re-roll to wound. It is a legitimate way to slow play that people canĀ“t argue against. but it can have a huge effect on the game
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Forge World officially will be at NOVA.

I find that pretty cool

In terms of growth, at this point last year we had just shy of 400 people registered, with close to 1500 attending in the end.
Right now, we're nearly at 1,000 registered.

This translates to: get your tickets now.

IN particular, our total # of Games Workshop registrants to this same point as last year has more than doubled. Our total # of Star Wars registrants to this same point as last year has more than quadrupled.

Numerous seminars are sold out.
X-Wing Champs Heat 2 only has 2 spots left (out of 128)
X-Wing Champs Heat 1 only has 31 spots left (out of 128)
The first ever Star Wars: Destiny US National Championship only has 2 spots left (again, out of 128)

For Warhammer 40,000, most of the Narrative events, both all-weekend and ala carte, are sold out or down to single digit spots.

For the Narrative Nightfighter "All games" track, only 4 spots remain.

I won't go through everything, but the long and short is you should sign up sooner than later. At this point, pinkie swear this isn't your typical "promo" alert so much as wanting to make sure many of our regulars who sign up a little later get a chance to get in on the events they want. This especially applies to seminars, where we've jumped from 56 individuals registered for seminars at this point last year to 104 as of today. There are many seminars sold out or nearly sold out.

VERY exciting year, but also means a ton more work for our volunteers and a ton more pressure on event space.

If you happen to be interested in volunteering and being part of our awesome family, feel free to let us know (customerservice@novaopen.com). We could use the help - whether it's just for the weekend, or if you're local and want to contribute to things like terrain days and the like (While learning useful hobby skills and shortcuts).
   
Made in us
Unshakeable Grey Knight Land Raider Pilot




Question regarding the 40k Primer. Is it going to updated any further before NOVA?

I ask only because it looks like GW's new additions might warrant entries. For instance, 3.2.1.2 lists Lords of War for the armies, but we don't have entries for Custodes, Sisters of Silence or Yannri (or even just a statement that they don't need entries).

3.2.9 also still says that the "new" GW FAQ won't be in effect for NOVA, but 1.1.7 only says no FAQ's after August 2, 2017 will be allowed. This confused me: is NOVA going to use GW's FAQ's or not?

Thanks in advance!
   
Made in us
Stalwart Dark Angels Space Marine




Centreville, Virginia, USA

Audustum wrote:
Question regarding the 40k Primer. Is it going to updated any further before NOVA?

I ask only because it looks like GW's new additions might warrant entries. For instance, 3.2.1.2 lists Lords of War for the armies, but we don't have entries for Custodes, Sisters of Silence or Yannri (or even just a statement that they don't need entries).

3.2.9 also still says that the "new" GW FAQ won't be in effect for NOVA, but 1.1.7 only says no FAQ's after August 2, 2017 will be allowed. This confused me: is NOVA going to use GW's FAQ's or not?

Thanks in advance!


So we're kind of in a holding pattern right now waiting to see what GW decides to do. If they don't decide to release a new edition I plan on updating the packet.

As to your questions I can answer them here for you and if we are in 7th I'll update the packet to reflect that.

To my knowledge Custodes and Sisters of Silence cannot be taken in a detachment that allows them a SH/GC Lords of War choice. The Yannri will most likely be added to the list.

As to 3.2.9 I'm not sure how that date got changed to 2017. This is pretty much last year's primer and I know I didn't change that date as I fully intend to use the GW FAQs that they've been putting out for 7th. That is if we're still in 7th.

Rogue Trader Gaming Blog - Where I post all my warhammer 40k related stuff

Huzzah Hobbies-WH40k - Huzzah Hobbies' Warhammer 40k Google Group

 
   
Made in us
Unshakeable Grey Knight Land Raider Pilot




 elphilo wrote:
Audustum wrote:
Question regarding the 40k Primer. Is it going to updated any further before NOVA?

I ask only because it looks like GW's new additions might warrant entries. For instance, 3.2.1.2 lists Lords of War for the armies, but we don't have entries for Custodes, Sisters of Silence or Yannri (or even just a statement that they don't need entries).

3.2.9 also still says that the "new" GW FAQ won't be in effect for NOVA, but 1.1.7 only says no FAQ's after August 2, 2017 will be allowed. This confused me: is NOVA going to use GW's FAQ's or not?

Thanks in advance!


So we're kind of in a holding pattern right now waiting to see what GW decides to do. If they don't decide to release a new edition I plan on updating the packet.

As to your questions I can answer them here for you and if we are in 7th I'll update the packet to reflect that.

To my knowledge Custodes and Sisters of Silence cannot be taken in a detachment that allows them a SH/GC Lords of War choice. The Yannri will most likely be added to the list.

As to 3.2.9 I'm not sure how that date got changed to 2017. This is pretty much last year's primer and I know I didn't change that date as I fully intend to use the GW FAQs that they've been putting out for 7th. That is if we're still in 7th.


Thank you for the reply! I'm glad to hear about the FAQ and I can understand why you'd be waiting on GW. I have a feeling they'll keep us in suspense for awhile.

You're right: SoS was silly of me to ask because they can't, but Custodes actually can. They became troops in their new pamphlet. If you take Celestine, Voldus, Greyfax or Belisarius as the HQ to a 'Custodes CAD' you can put them in the troop slots and have a Lord of War choice. So far I've only experimented with putting Roubute in it.
   
Made in us
Stalwart Dark Angels Space Marine




Centreville, Virginia, USA

Audustum wrote:
 elphilo wrote:
Audustum wrote:
Question regarding the 40k Primer. Is it going to updated any further before NOVA?

I ask only because it looks like GW's new additions might warrant entries. For instance, 3.2.1.2 lists Lords of War for the armies, but we don't have entries for Custodes, Sisters of Silence or Yannri (or even just a statement that they don't need entries).

3.2.9 also still says that the "new" GW FAQ won't be in effect for NOVA, but 1.1.7 only says no FAQ's after August 2, 2017 will be allowed. This confused me: is NOVA going to use GW's FAQ's or not?

Thanks in advance!


So we're kind of in a holding pattern right now waiting to see what GW decides to do. If they don't decide to release a new edition I plan on updating the packet.

As to your questions I can answer them here for you and if we are in 7th I'll update the packet to reflect that.

To my knowledge Custodes and Sisters of Silence cannot be taken in a detachment that allows them a SH/GC Lords of War choice. The Yannri will most likely be added to the list.

As to 3.2.9 I'm not sure how that date got changed to 2017. This is pretty much last year's primer and I know I didn't change that date as I fully intend to use the GW FAQs that they've been putting out for 7th. That is if we're still in 7th.


Thank you for the reply! I'm glad to hear about the FAQ and I can understand why you'd be waiting on GW. I have a feeling they'll keep us in suspense for awhile.

You're right: SoS was silly of me to ask because they can't, but Custodes actually can. They became troops in their new pamphlet. If you take Celestine, Voldus, Greyfax or Belisarius as the HQ to a 'Custodes CAD' you can put them in the troop slots and have a Lord of War choice. So far I've only experimented with putting Roubute in it.


OH I thought they were elites! I've taken a new job and travel a lot so sometimes stuff like that escapes me. I'll be sure to update the packet closer to the event. Thank you!

Rogue Trader Gaming Blog - Where I post all my warhammer 40k related stuff

Huzzah Hobbies-WH40k - Huzzah Hobbies' Warhammer 40k Google Group

 
   
Made in us
Average Orc Boy




Bowie, MD

I know that Recon Squads happened last year and is scheduled for this year but is there any chance of a Shadow Wars event now that it's a thing and we know rules will be more readily available? Either in addition to or replacing Recon Squads?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Definitely possible, but we'll have to see. We're in a lot of chats with GW right now, with both FW and a large contingent of GW staff coming to NOVA. Once that clears up, we'll be able to better focus on whether there's the resources / volunteers / etc. needed to add a new event track this late in the game.

As an addendum, per this weekend's newsletter, the Hotel is now fully sold out. This is way, way earlier than we could have anticipated, so we went ahead and worked out solid rates in blocks next door to the Hyatt in the Residence Inn and Renaissance Hotel; these are a short sub-1 minute walk to the Hyatt, ensuring a very similar overall experience.

Destiny is down to 1 spot left. There are a ton of events that are either out of room or nearly out of room, and we're over 1,000 registered attendees already. Long and short, get yourself signed up.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




The 8th NOVA Open Will Use 8th

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




The 40K GT will use 2,000 points Matched Play army construction with edition - revised NOVA missions.
   
Made in us
Unshakeable Grey Knight Land Raider Pilot




MVBrandt wrote:
The 40K GT will use 2,000 points Matched Play army construction with edition - revised NOVA missions.


This is great to hear! I am so excited you guys are gonna be one of the first tournaments to run this!
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Friendly Peat Beast






The Great Marsh

Yeah the timing is perfect . It's almost like you guys planned this!

Check out the ModCube webstore! http://www.modcube.com

 
   
Made in us
Bounding Assault Marine




Philadelphia, PA, USA

Just wanted to confirm that the 40k Trios and Narrative tracks (all of them) will be using 8th edition. The specific rules are very TBD, but expect matched play (points rather than power levels).

The question above about Recon Squads is a good one. Currently we are planning to keep Recon Squads as-is, a Kill Team styled format that doesn't require additional rulebooks, learning new mechanics, isn't built around developing a squad over a campaign, etc.. It works well as a way to quickly drop-in and play a fast game of 40k over lunch/dinner, etc.. Repeating Mike's point above, other organizers are currently considering adding a separate Shadow War event, but nothing is definite yet.

Sign-ups for Trios & Narrative tickets are either almost full or very healthy, so it should be a great crowd. Only one spot remaining for a Warlord position, get on it!

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




As an FYI, we will *likely* permit Forgeworld Indices, presuming they remain on schedule for Xenos by end of June.

We'll be organizing a charity supporting mini-event in late July as well, to help people get warmed up and familiarized if they haven't yet. This will be in the vein of our past sociable charity tournaments, akin to the one that originally got NOVA started on a series of August picnic tables back in 2009.

Exciting times to be a GW fan, and exciting times to be a NOVA attendee in general! Nearly 1300 people are registered for the convention *already*, which is nearing our total for last year as a whole!
   
Made in us
Rough Rider with Boomstick




USA

Any idea when the pre-liminary mission packets for the GT might get published? The book missions are very flawed in which certain missions allows the last player to place the objective to choose the deployment zone. This essentially will allowed a player with more objectives in their deployment zone than the opponent.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




They'll release around when the edition drops.

It is likely objectives will be placed after deployment zones are selected.
   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard






Palm Beach, FL

 tjkopena wrote:
Just wanted to confirm that the 40k Trios and Narrative tracks (all of them) will be using 8th edition. The specific rules are very TBD, but expect matched play (points rather than power levels).

The question above about Recon Squads is a good one. Currently we are planning to keep Recon Squads as-is, a Kill Team styled format that doesn't require additional rulebooks, learning new mechanics, isn't built around developing a squad over a campaign, etc.. It works well as a way to quickly drop-in and play a fast game of 40k over lunch/dinner, etc.. Repeating Mike's point above, other organizers are currently considering adding a separate Shadow War event, but nothing is definite yet.

Sign-ups for Trios & Narrative tickets are either almost full or very healthy, so it should be a great crowd. Only one spot remaining for a Warlord position, get on it!


Came here to ask about the Narrative, thanks for all your work!
   
Made in us
Bounding Assault Marine




Philadelphia, PA, USA

 MasterSlowPoke wrote:

Came here to ask about the Narrative, thanks for all your work!


Thanks Craig, glad you will be joining us again!

The week after 8e drops we're running our weekend long LibertyHammer narrative. It uses the same core missions as the NOVA 40k Narrative, so we'll necessarily have them reworked and run through a ~40--50 person event pretty quickly. Current plan is to pick up my pre-ordered books as soon as my FLGS opens June 17, sit down at the tables, and not get up until we've got everything updated or they kick me out. I expect though that the Recon Squads rules will actually take the most updating. In any case, we expect to have a draft revamped NOVA primer posted by mid-July.

   
Made in us
Rough Rider with Boomstick




USA

Any chance the new NOVA missions be out before the 17th? Nick Nanavati is hosting a RTT at TOGIT this Sat, would be cool for us East coasters to test them out.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




You'd have to see if Nick wanted to use them, but yes, there's a chance.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Because Vendor Hall lists are pretty exciting ...
Anvil Eight Games
Atlantis Games and Comics Mall with Secret Weapons Miniatures, Poweredplay Gaming and GREX Airbrush, Iello, Slugfest)
Broken Egg Games
Cool Mini or Not
Fallout Hobbies
Fantasy Flight Games
Firmer Terra
Forge World
Games Workshop
Greenman Designs
Inglenook Publishing
KR Multicase
Mini Duels
MiniWarGaming
Prodos Games
Shapeways
Steamforged Games
Stiff Neck Studio
Tablewar Designs
Tectonic Craft Studios
Toledo Game Room
Warlord Games / Footsore Miniatures

CAP costs go up by $10 very shortly folks - make sure you snag one now before they do.

We've had a record spike in attendance, with nearing 1300 attendees already registered (just about our total attendance last year, and compared to only 500 at this same time last year), the Hyatt completely booked on rooms, and our rooms in the hotels immediately next door also booking up fast. DO NOT MISS OUT by waiting too long!
   
Made in us
Deranged Necron Destroyer





MVBrandt wrote:
You'd have to see if Nick wanted to use them, but yes, there's a chance.


Am I mistaken or do I see the 8E primer on the Nova Open site?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




I'm working on the live doc presently. Getting there. Missions aren't updated yet.
   
Made in us
Rough Rider with Boomstick




USA

The last mission is cool, but I think it takes too much math and adding up points lol


Edit: maybe I'm just a lazy tard

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/06/16 23:13:30


 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




You could just be lazy

I appreciate feedback on the new primer mission, which is up in the 40K GT Primer.

Furthermore, the release of 8th saw registrations for the GT go crazy over the weekend. Snag your spots.

Finally, make sure to snag rooms at the adjoining hotels ASAP - when those are gone, you'll actually have to hoof it a bit down the street, as opposed to just cross walkin' it.
   
Made in us
Bounding Assault Marine




Philadelphia, PA, USA

The event primer for the 40k Trios has been updated for 8th edition:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6k7oRNaCvBxZENjSDZjR0xLaEk/view

It's pretty much straight-up matched play but with our mission objectives & scoring, and very straightforward rules for how doubles work. A summary is here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KTBIbSeKxqgzcfZmZnDXbsaOfXcnNkLDXdJGSp7vyzI/edit?usp=sharing


2016 NOVA 40k Trios in full swing.

   
Made in us
Slippery Ultramarine Scout Biker




McCragge

Wow that is a lot of great vendors!

Bow down to Guilliman for he is our new God Emperor! 
   
 
Forum Index » Tournament Discussions
Go to: