Switch Theme:

What's going on in fantasy wargames?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Which fantasy wargame(s) do you play?
Kings of War
The 9th Age
Warhammer Fantasy Battle 8th edition
Warhammer Fantasy Battle 6th edition
Other Oldhammer
Age of Sigmar
Warmachine and Hordes
Malifaux
Conquest
Runewars
Frostgrave
Kings of War Vanguard
Lord of the Rings
Blood Bowl
Mordheim
Age of Sigmar Skirmish

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Playing a lot of shadespire these days and absolutely loving it. Want to get in some kill team as well.

Slowly plugging away at 40k stuff as well, but for small, small-scale games.

Doing some warlord 'historicals' (not really 'fantasy wargames' but included for completion).

Sadly, more or less dropped out of warmachine/hordes, and I was a dedicated follower throughout mk2. Keeping my tharn and khador, but really, not interested in the new releases or getting back into the game. privateer press, at the time of the mk3 launch (and since then) have done far too many things to hack me off and disillusion me with their game, handling of game, and company to the point where, right now, I really can't be bothered with them.


greatest band in the universe: machine supremacy

"Punch your fist in the air and hold your Gameboy aloft like the warrior you are" 
   
Made in de
Regular Dakkanaut




 JoshInJapan wrote:
dyndraig wrote:
Kings of War and Vanguard for me. I can't go back to individual basing in a army-sized game, KoW has ruined me for other wargames


All my KoW stuff is individually based, and has been since the late 80's when I started. They are, however, magnetized to stick to their movement trays.


My old Warhammer armies are also individually based, but any new army I do gets multibased. So much more convenient
   
Made in us
Boosting Black Templar Biker





Austin, TX

It’s not listed, but the A Song of Ice And Fire game by CMON is really good and deserves more attention. Really satisfying ranked-combat, and the tactics cards add a nice amount of depth to the gameplay.
   
Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos





My feel of Song and Ice and Fire is its too close to a board game for my liking.

GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Enigmatic Exalted Daemon





Albany, NY

I remember a time when we were talking about KOW's doom somewhere (this comes up from time to time) and there was a lurking dread that ASOI&F would be its demise. Hasn't turned out to be in the least, and I've actually never heard of people playing CMON's game once it delivered. Looks good and all but of minimal interest to me - not fantastical enough, which is my same opinion of most of the goings on below the Wall in the books of the same name

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/14 13:04:40


BLOODFIRE: KOW SALAMANDER REPORTS 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




WM/H seems to have consolidated down to the more competitive elements and lost a lot of the "casual player". At least in my neck of the woods. PP has made lots of effort to rebalance the game after the awful Mk3 launch and keeps adding new mini factions. But its not doing anything to address the things that keeps a community healthy. Price, attractiveness to casual players, working with sellers to keep their product on the shelves in physical stores.

Still love the game. But I'm burning out on the constant churn in the community, CiD's producing one or two OTT items that people argue over for months and the fact that quite often, cost of the new models in ££'s.

I'm really excited for the launch of Malifaux M3E. Will probably make that my main game for a while continuing to paint and play the odd game of WM/H to keep my hand in and hopefully the company and the community can sort itself out.
   
Made in us
Boosting Black Templar Biker





Austin, TX

For me with regards to WM/H, the combination of the steady bloat within factions combined with the slightly larger army size and the way themes work in 3e has driven me from the game. I have nearly one of every unit for RoS, but with themes I feel like I can’t make any half-decent lists without going out and buying some multiples. For a new player, I can imagine how overwhelming it would be to try to figure out what to buy when factions have 20+ units and 20+ jacks to choose from, not to mention solos and casters.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/15 01:40:35


 
   
Made in us
Charging Dragon Prince





West Lafayette, IN

6th Ed. WFB. No reason to play anything else, honestly.

www.classichammer.com

For 4-6th WFB, 2-5th 40k, and similar timeframe gaming

Looking for dice from the new AOS boxed set and Dark Imperium on the cheap. Let me know if you can help.
 CthuluIsSpy wrote:
Its AoS, it doesn't have to make sense.
 
   
Made in gb
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps





Earlobe deep in doo doo

Warlords of Erewhon has proven popular down the club recently

"But me no buts! Our comrades get hurt. Our friends die. Falkenburg is a knight who swore an oath to serve the church and to defend the weak. He'd be the first to tell you to stop puling and start planning. Because what we are doing-at risk to ourselves-is what we have sworn to do. The West relies on us. It is a risk we take with pride. It is an oath we honour. Even when some soft southern burgher mutters about us, we know the reason he sleeps soft and comfortable, why his wife is able to complain about the price of cabbages as her most serious problem and why his children dare to throw dung and yell "Knot" when we pass. It's because we are what we are. For all our faults we stand for law and light.
Von Gherens This Rough Magic Lackey, Flint & Freer
Mekagorkalicious -Monkeytroll
2017 Model Count-71
 
   
Made in us
Speed Drybrushing





San Francisco, CA

Any good reviews or summaries for Warlords of Nowhere/Erewhon? Preferably not a video...

I play...

Sigh.

Who am I kidding? I only paint these days... 
   
Made in gb
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps





Earlobe deep in doo doo

Not that I've seen but its basically Hammers of Antares tweaked to emphasise close combat slightly more. Bolt Action with farmore variable profiles is another way to look at it.

"But me no buts! Our comrades get hurt. Our friends die. Falkenburg is a knight who swore an oath to serve the church and to defend the weak. He'd be the first to tell you to stop puling and start planning. Because what we are doing-at risk to ourselves-is what we have sworn to do. The West relies on us. It is a risk we take with pride. It is an oath we honour. Even when some soft southern burgher mutters about us, we know the reason he sleeps soft and comfortable, why his wife is able to complain about the price of cabbages as her most serious problem and why his children dare to throw dung and yell "Knot" when we pass. It's because we are what we are. For all our faults we stand for law and light.
Von Gherens This Rough Magic Lackey, Flint & Freer
Mekagorkalicious -Monkeytroll
2017 Model Count-71
 
   
Made in us
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos





 pancakeonions wrote:
Any good reviews or summaries for Warlords of Nowhere/Erewhon? Preferably not a video...


I posted one in the others forum here.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/770868.page


GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in cz
Mysterious Techpriest






Fortress world of Ostrakan

I'm not very much into fantasy, so I play only Mordheim as it was a back-up game that everybody had in my group.

After house-ruling some of the biggest issues (club/dagger spam), it's a funny and very enjoyable game.

I play Dwarves and plan on getting the Pirates, along with a sailing ship.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/28 09:00:50



Neutran Panzergrenadiers, Ostrakan Skitarii Legions, Order of the Silver Hand
My fan-lore: Europan Planetary federation. Hot topic: Help with Minotaurs chapter Killteam






 
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





9th Age.
   
Made in au
Anti-Armour Swiss Guard






Newcastle, OZ

I've played a bit of 9th age and KoW.

The problem with T9a (as they refer to it) locally is that the key players are ALL ETC players, and they'd rather spend more time playing each other to keep their ranking up than "grow" the game so it's rather stagnant. They don't have GW behind their game, pushing it for them, so that's now THEIR job.

KoW - the locals only play in a handful of places and again are rather insular.

AoS- these are the evangelicals of fantasy around me. ALWAYS trying to get people to play "THEIR" game, because it's got better figures (if I wanted to play with action figures, I'd do that instead). Their game is the only true game.

So my high elf army has stayed in the cupboard for the last couple of years.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/04/29 09:45:58


I'm 50.
Old enough to know better, young enough to not give a ****.

That is not dead which can eternal lie ...

... and yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.
 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 chromedog wrote:
I've played a bit of 9th age and KoW.

The problem with T9a (as they refer to it) locally is that the key players are ALL ETC players, and they'd rather spend more time playing each other to keep their ranking up than "grow" the game so it's rather stagnant. They don't have GW behind their game, pushing it for them, so that's now THEIR job.

KoW - the locals only play in a handful of places and again are rather insular.

AoS- these are the evangelicals of fantasy around me. ALWAYS trying to get people to play "THEIR" game, because it's got better figures (if I wanted to play with action figures, I'd do that instead). Their game is the only true game.

So my high elf army has stayed in the cupboard for the last couple of years.


That mirrors my experiences too. T9A isn't too popular and is basically a hardcore tournament game, with not much done to try to bring in new players. TBH, the rules don't help much with this - they're a mess of overly complex systems and legalistic impenetrability for the new player so having experienced players to help newbies is pretty much required. I can see T9A really starting to fall away quite severely in the UK once the original players start to drift away.

KoW isn't too popular but seems to have a small, dedicated following. It's at least company supported and has active development and new products coming out, which is quite important for keeping interest going. I personally found it a little clunky as a system, and army selection a little annoying but it's quick and easy to learn and is a true rank-and-flank game.

AoS never recovered from its awful start for me personally and does absolutely nothing to scratch the Fantasy gaming itch.

I've seen other systems on the table about 2-3 times total, with Dragon Rampant being at least 2 of those occasions. Seems like a good system - streamlined, easy to learn. Can't say if it's got the depth to make it a long-term solution though.

What has proved popular is more skirmish games like Frostgrave, with smaller model counts and often fairly detailed rules. Given that GW got out of rank-and-flank gaming it seems likely the reason we don't see a lot of them out there right now is it's not what the market as a whole wants.
   
Made in gb
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps





UK

auticus wrote:
 pancakeonions wrote:
Any good reviews or summaries for Warlords of Nowhere/Erewhon? Preferably not a video...


I posted one in the others forum here.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/770868.page



Ta for that. Looks like a nice ruleset to scratch my long standing Warhammer itch...
   
Made in de
Longtime Dakkanaut





 chromedog wrote:
I've played a bit of 9th age and KoW.

The problem with T9a (as they refer to it) locally is that the key players are ALL ETC players, and they'd rather spend more time playing each other to keep their ranking up than "grow" the game so it's rather stagnant. They don't have GW behind their game, pushing it for them, so that's now THEIR job.

So my high elf army has stayed in the cupboard for the last couple of years.


9th Age
I did various demo games in the past year on a more or less regular basis and this was my experience:

Blood Bowl: I got a few people interested and they delved into the sport of violent football.

Necromunda: "Geez, only a dozen guys without any sort of tanks?" A lot of people preferred to play 40K.

Freebooter´s Fate: "Nice game but I am already committed to play Infinity."

Rumbleslam: "You say all I need is a single mini and a match takes just ten minutes? Nope, too expensive and time-consuming for me."

9th Age: I didn´t even try to sell them this game because of obvious reasons. The majority of my audience could be described by these attributes:

Poor, lazy and a short attention span. Just the notion of them picking up 9th Age or any sort of vintage WHFB edition is so outlandish that it would be more likely for GW to bring back the Old World in all
it´s glory.


High Elves
Why don´t you play any vintage edition of WHFB? I even play 2nd 40K once in a while.



@Slipspace

That mirrors my experiences too. T9A isn't too popular and is basically a hardcore tournament game, with not much done to try to bring in new players. TBH, the rules don't help much with this - they're a mess of overly complex systems and legalistic impenetrability for the new player so having experienced players to help newbies is pretty much required. I can see T9A really starting to fall away quite severely in the UK once the original players start to drift away.


"Not much done to bring in new players."

That´s just wrong. I want to see you trying to sell an audience a tabletop game. It´s not a walk in a park by any means. A lot people nowadays shy away from games that take a lot of commitment like 9th Age requires and prefer games with just a bunch of minis. And if you target even the latter predominantly then you are not seldom in for a surprise as even a task of painting a few plastic dudes or reading the rules is beyond them.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/04/29 12:02:36


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Strg Alt wrote:


@Slipspace

That mirrors my experiences too. T9A isn't too popular and is basically a hardcore tournament game, with not much done to try to bring in new players. TBH, the rules don't help much with this - they're a mess of overly complex systems and legalistic impenetrability for the new player so having experienced players to help newbies is pretty much required. I can see T9A really starting to fall away quite severely in the UK once the original players start to drift away.


"Not much done to bring in new players."

That´s just wrong. I want to see you trying to sell an audience a tabletop game. It´s not a walk in a park by any means. A lot people nowadays shy away from games that take a lot of commitment like 9th Age requires and prefer games with just a bunch of minis. And if you target even the latter predominantly then you are not seldom in for a surprise as even a task of painting a few plastic dudes or reading the rules is beyond them.


It's not wrong at all. It's my experience in my particular location, which I thought was an interesting observation since it mirrors that have another poster from literally the other side of the globe. Obviously your own area may well be different, which is great. Why do you suppose I haven't done anything to get new players involved in tabletop gaming? That's a bizarre assertion on your part given the utter lack of evidence for it. Over more than 20 years I have probably been directly or indirectly responsible for bringing over 100 new players into various games, from full-on mass battle games like WH to small skirmish games like Necromunda and X-Wing. It's not always easy and I acknowledge that fact.

What's interesting is your response shows a very similar, highly defensive attitude, to many of T9A players I have encountered. There's also a hint of superiority in many of their attitudes, similar to your disparaging and dismissive attitude towards potential gamers in your last sentence. I don't dispute your claim a lot of people are shying away form mass battle, rules-heavy games but I think T9A doesn't help itself with the way it presents itself. It's great that the rules are free and the production quality is pretty good too. But the rules themselves seem to have been the main turn-off for a lot of players. They see them as too complicated and impenetrable. I can understand why.

I fear that the market for mass battle wargames will continue to shrink over the coming years. It seems they are simply not as popular as they once were and that the attitude of the general gaming public has shifted away from them. Time will tell if that trend continues or can be reversed.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User






 Nate668 wrote:
For me with regards to WM/H, the combination of the steady bloat within factions combined with the slightly larger army size and the way themes work in 3e has driven me from the game. I have nearly one of every unit for RoS, but with themes I feel like I can’t make any half-decent lists without going out and buying some multiples. For a new player, I can imagine how overwhelming it would be to try to figure out what to buy when factions have 20+ units and 20+ jacks to choose from, not to mention solos and casters.


This is part of the issue that I had with the game when I tried to get into it. When I bought the two-player box initially, I was under the impression that Warmachine was played with maybe a dozen models at the maximum. Then I found out that it was much, much more than that. Add in the fact that I rarely find a theme that has enough of the models of the faction for me to be interested in playing it, and I lost all interest in the game within a month of research. I'm going to use the models as painting fodder and as proxies for other games with friends.

The other issue I had was that the starter boxes have some of the worst plastic minis I have ever encountered. I was glad that I built my Star Wars Legion box before attempting to build my Warmachine two-player box because most of those minis were so bad that I nearly gave up on them. I recently bought a Menoth battlegroup box because my younger brother liked the look of them, and I told him I would build and paint them for him. Those Menoth minis are the absolute worse I have ever built. There are large moldlines over a lot of the tiny details, and many of the parts require so much cleanup that just removing moldlines and fixing some mold slip (minor enough that it isn't noticeable, but bad enough that parts don't fit together) from one mini took as long as the same process for an entire squad of my Fyreslayers for AoS. IMO, you should put some of of the best quality minis in a starter box to get people interested, not the worst quality.
   
Made in us
Tzeentch Aspiring Sorcerer Riding a Disc





Orem, Utah

Lately, I've been playing more Blood Bowl than anything else on this list.

I guess Monsterpocalypse is too science fictiony for the list, right?

 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: