Switch Theme:

Why Are Primaris Allergic to Jump Packs?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Myrtle Creek, OR

It's a model engineering thing, almost definitely

They plan to replace the current flight stands (like for inceptors, which have flight stands that are too durable) with cooked pasta. Initial tests show that regular spaghetti is still too robust. Angel hair is showing promise, though.

Once they have that problem licked (how to make the stands break solely due to shipping---no need to pre-break them during manufacturing), jump inceptors will be falling down, er, landing everywhere.
   
Made in ca
Steadfast Ultramarine Sergeant






 Super Ready wrote:
I suspect that a proper Suppressor kit is in the pipeline, but not really being considered a priority since it seems nobody's really crying out for them at the moment.


AAAAAAAHHHHHH SUPPRESSOR KIT NOW!!!!

I really want them but haven't bought them because there's no full kit. I think they're super cool
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





 Nerak wrote:
On a slightly related note doesn't it feel like the Primaris are lacking in the CC-department? I know they have more modelling kits then necessary but apart from the Reivers and heroes there's no dedicated CC squad is there? I find this very strange. Almost as if GW made the decision that fighting with chainsaw swords is a sub-optimal form of warfare


... I had to check the date on this post to make sure this wasn't a necro'd thread

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





 generalchaos34 wrote:
Breton wrote:
 Super Ready wrote:
I suspect that a proper Suppressor kit is in the pipeline, but not really being considered a priority since it seems nobody's really crying out for them at the moment.
As a fellow Blood Angels player, I have to admit that a jump pack unit with actual melee weapons would be nice - the Inceptors' "dual big pistols" thing doesn't really fit the theme for me. Buuuuut, given all the perfectly valid uproar about the number of Primaris releases I'm more than happy to wait until Xenos have had a fair crack of the release whip.


That's because they weren't very good. The upgrade to Heavy 3 makes them a little better.

They lost 1AP, got one more shot, lost smoke launchers but gained smokescreen, went up a few points (but everything did) and their suppresive fire went from destroy to hit, so they improved quite a bit compared to what they were.


I feel like there is a "jump" wave out there for their final release, probably a suppressor kit with weapon options and some sort of Melee or close fire support option. Im sure they are holding it until they are midway through next year or so since they are not going to release it all at once.


They almost have to do a jump melee release. You can’t really do Primaris BA, and to a lesser extend SW and RG without them. BA are extremely Jump melee based. Ravenguard are heavily so. SW were more so before, but less so lately. I’m surprised they haven’t teased anything yet given how close the BA supplement is.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





Breton wrote:
 generalchaos34 wrote:
Breton wrote:
 Super Ready wrote:
I suspect that a proper Suppressor kit is in the pipeline, but not really being considered a priority since it seems nobody's really crying out for them at the moment.
As a fellow Blood Angels player, I have to admit that a jump pack unit with actual melee weapons would be nice - the Inceptors' "dual big pistols" thing doesn't really fit the theme for me. Buuuuut, given all the perfectly valid uproar about the number of Primaris releases I'm more than happy to wait until Xenos have had a fair crack of the release whip.


That's because they weren't very good. The upgrade to Heavy 3 makes them a little better.

They lost 1AP, got one more shot, lost smoke launchers but gained smokescreen, went up a few points (but everything did) and their suppresive fire went from destroy to hit, so they improved quite a bit compared to what they were.


I feel like there is a "jump" wave out there for their final release, probably a suppressor kit with weapon options and some sort of Melee or close fire support option. Im sure they are holding it until they are midway through next year or so since they are not going to release it all at once.


They almost have to do a jump melee release. You can’t really do Primaris BA, and to a lesser extend SW and RG without them. BA are extremely Jump melee based. Ravenguard are heavily so. SW were more so before, but less so lately. I’m surprised they haven’t teased anything yet given how close the BA supplement is.


Space Wolves have never been very jump minded.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





BrianDavion wrote:


Space Wolves have never been very jump minded.


They were more-so than others. The introduction of TWC really shrunk their Jump usage, but still moreso than Salamanders, Imperial Fists or Ultras. As things started BA were Termies and Vanguard Vets, Ultras were Termies and Sternguard Vets, DA were Termies, period, and SW were Termies and Bikes. Then Ravenwing and White Scars showed up so SW went more Termie and Skyclaws

For a while BA were more Vanguard than Termie, SW were more Termie. Then, because they want each chapter to be even more flavor unique they went with TWC. That's probably why White Scars paired bikes with Rhino Rush instead of Speeders. They've all got some flavor units - either unique to their chapter, preferred in their fluff, or both - that you think of when you make your own mental picture of their chapter.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in gb
Chalice-Wielding Sanguinary High Priest





Stevenage, UK

I've gotta disagree on Space Wolves. You've got to look back all the way to 3rd/4th edition before they even have the same number of jump units available, because traditionally they've only had Skyclaws and characters - meaning that every other Chapter overtook them the moment they got access to previously-Blood-Angels-only Vanguard. That, and the fluff calls out that most Space Wolves disdain Skyclaws because "if fighting on the ground was good enough for Russ, it's good enough for them" - or words to that effect.

They are in fact just about the only Chapter with any anti-jump fluff that I can think of!!

For me, pre-Thunderwolves the fluffy Wolves units were in fact their core squads - Grey Hunters, Blood Claws and Long Fangs.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/10/14 08:17:28


"Hard pressed on my right. My centre is yielding. Impossible to manoeuvre. Situation excellent. I am attacking." - General Ferdinand Foch  
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





 Super Ready wrote:
I've gotta disagree on Space Wolves. You've got to look back all the way to 3rd/4th edition before they even have the same number of jump units available, because traditionally they've only had Skyclaws and characters - meaning that every other Chapter overtook them the moment they got access to previously-Blood-Angels-only Vanguard. That, and the fluff calls out that most Space Wolves disdain Skyclaws because "if fighting on the ground was good enough for Russ, it's good enough for them" - or words to that effect.

They are in fact just about the only Chapter with any anti-jump fluff that I can think of!!

For me, pre-Thunderwolves the fluffy Wolves units were in fact their core squads - Grey Hunters, Blood Claws and Long Fangs.


Right as I mentioned they started with Bloodclaws as Bikers. Then picked up Skyclaws about the same time everyone got Vanguard, then moved to TWC to return to unique instead of doubling up Termie/Jump that BA do.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in gb
Chalice-Wielding Sanguinary High Priest





Stevenage, UK

Hmmm... apologies, I think we jumped on your statement prematurely. All you said was "SW were more so before, but less so lately" - which I guess is accurate. It's not so much a case of being jump-focused, though, more than it's just they happened to get a jump-pack option where it was previously missing, before they then got fully wolfed-out.

"Hard pressed on my right. My centre is yielding. Impossible to manoeuvre. Situation excellent. I am attacking." - General Ferdinand Foch  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




BrianDavion wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
i am firmly of the opinion that the person having created the flighstands must've been the one to design droppods and is in dire need of an exorcism.


I'd rather put together an entire chapters worth of drop pods then have to deal with those flight stands. at least once the drop pod comes together it's solid. I can proably throw my drop pod agaisnt the wall without breakage. the new flight stands are flimsy as HELL


I'll see your flight stands and raise you a Vertus Praetor Stand. It's a round ball nub that goes in an oversized hole in the base of the unit, and it also somehow doesn't adhere to the glue melting stuff, so half the time your praetor falls over and dries at a bad angle, and you have to snap it off and re-do it. All my Custode bikers are about 1/4 inch shorter. I just filed the ends to a point and drilled a hole big enough for the spike, and used superglue.
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





 Super Ready wrote:
Hmmm... apologies, I think we jumped on your statement prematurely. All you said was "SW were more so before, but less so lately" - which I guess is accurate. It's not so much a case of being jump-focused, though, more than it's just they happened to get a jump-pack option where it was previously missing, before they then got fully wolfed-out.


No worries, a lot of the editions jumble together for me after a while anyway. Point remains, they're going to have to do something, it's too ingrained in too many Chapter flavors to just cancel them all.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





FezzikDaBullgryn wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
i am firmly of the opinion that the person having created the flighstands must've been the one to design droppods and is in dire need of an exorcism.


I'd rather put together an entire chapters worth of drop pods then have to deal with those flight stands. at least once the drop pod comes together it's solid. I can proably throw my drop pod agaisnt the wall without breakage. the new flight stands are flimsy as HELL


I'll see your flight stands and raise you a Vertus Praetor Stand. It's a round ball nub that goes in an oversized hole in the base of the unit, and it also somehow doesn't adhere to the glue melting stuff, so half the time your praetor falls over and dries at a bad angle, and you have to snap it off and re-do it. All my Custode bikers are about 1/4 inch shorter. I just filed the ends to a point and drilled a hole big enough for the spike, and used superglue.


I own both, the Incursors flight stands are vastly less durable than the Vertus Praetor stands.

The Praetor stands are the wrong type of plastic for modeling cement (they need super glue instead) but I didn't glue them down at all and I've found that the thickness of several layers of paint is enough for them to mostly stay put during play. The Incursor stand's connection point is a miserable little 1/8th square inch plate that doesn't even fit onto a groove somewhere. Mine kept breaking off just taking my storage box off the shelf, after the third or fourth time that happened I replaced them with roofing nails.

   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





They have them on 2 units already.

Why does this thread exist?

"'players must agree how they are going to select their armies, and if any restrictions apply to the number and type of models they can use."

This is an actual rule in the actual rulebook. Quit whining about how you can imagine someone's army touching you in a bad place and play by the actual rules.


Freelance Ontologist

When people ask, "What's the point in understanding everything?" they've just disqualified themselves from using questions and should disappear in a puff of paradox. But they don't understand and just continue existing, which are also their only two strategies for life. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Why does your post exist? Basically the same reason, though the thread at least has the advantage of having a topic that people are evidently interested in discussing, given the amount of responses.
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





The Newman wrote:
FezzikDaBullgryn wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
Not Online!!! wrote:
i am firmly of the opinion that the person having created the flighstands must've been the one to design droppods and is in dire need of an exorcism.


I'd rather put together an entire chapters worth of drop pods then have to deal with those flight stands. at least once the drop pod comes together it's solid. I can proably throw my drop pod agaisnt the wall without breakage. the new flight stands are flimsy as HELL


I'll see your flight stands and raise you a Vertus Praetor Stand. It's a round ball nub that goes in an oversized hole in the base of the unit, and it also somehow doesn't adhere to the glue melting stuff, so half the time your praetor falls over and dries at a bad angle, and you have to snap it off and re-do it. All my Custode bikers are about 1/4 inch shorter. I just filed the ends to a point and drilled a hole big enough for the spike, and used superglue.


I own both, the Incursors flight stands are vastly less durable than the Vertus Praetor stands.

The Praetor stands are the wrong type of plastic for modeling cement (they need super glue instead) but I didn't glue them down at all and I've found that the thickness of several layers of paint is enough for them to mostly stay put during play. The Incursor stand's connection point is a miserable little 1/8th square inch plate that doesn't even fit onto a groove somewhere. Mine kept breaking off just taking my storage box off the shelf, after the third or fourth time that happened I replaced them with roofing nails.


Ditto having played with both, the inceptor flightstand is MUUUCH worse

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in se
Member of the Malleus





BrianDavion wrote:
 Nerak wrote:
On a slightly related note doesn't it feel like the Primaris are lacking in the CC-department? I know they have more modelling kits then necessary but apart from the Reivers and heroes there's no dedicated CC squad is there? I find this very strange. Almost as if GW made the decision that fighting with chainsaw swords is a sub-optimal form of warfare


... I had to check the date on this post to make sure this wasn't a necro'd thread

My apologies. I appear to be living in the past. Also I stand corrected.

His pattern of returning alive after being declared dead occurred often enough during Cain's career that the Munitorum made a special ruling that Ciaphas Cain is to never be considered dead, despite evidence to the contrary. 
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





 DarknessEternal wrote:
They have them on 2 units already.

Why does this thread exist?


To link the smoke trail flight stands a lot of people just bookmarked.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut



NE Ohio, USA

 Super Ready wrote:
Hmmm... apologies, I think we jumped on your statement prematurely. All you said was "SW were more so before, but less so lately" - which I guess is accurate. It's not so much a case of being jump-focused, though, more than it's just they happened to get a jump-pack option where it was previously missing, before they then got fully wolfed-out.


?? Are you aware that we SW players have had access to jump squads since the armies debut?
Personally my own 3 squads are slightly younger than that - having been bought in the opening days of 2e....

And, barring chapters with special rules/unique extra jump pack units, we've had the same access to them as everyone else.

Now players preferences have shifted back & forth on what mix of units to use (based on rules advantages mostly). But that doesn't equal the unit/option not existing.
   
Made in gb
Chalice-Wielding Sanguinary High Priest





Stevenage, UK

Sorry, yes, I am indeed aware - confusion on my part between them simply being Blood Claws with jump packs, and getting their own unique "Skyclaws" name.
Carry on!

"Hard pressed on my right. My centre is yielding. Impossible to manoeuvre. Situation excellent. I am attacking." - General Ferdinand Foch  
   
Made in us
Cabin Zombie






Breton wrote:
 DarknessEternal wrote:
They have them on 2 units already.

Why does this thread exist?


To link the smoke trail flight stands a lot of people just bookmarked.


Bookmarked? Hell, I immediately ordered em. They’ve already shipped.

 
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





I sent him an email and he's got plans to eventually do something for seraphium too BTW.

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in us
Scarred Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran





 AduroT wrote:
Breton wrote:
 DarknessEternal wrote:
They have them on 2 units already.

Why does this thread exist?


To link the smoke trail flight stands a lot of people just bookmarked.


Bookmarked? Hell, I immediately ordered em. They’ve already shipped.


I figured I might want to order more than once and bookmarked.

My WHFB armies were Bretonians and Tomb Kings. 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: