Switch Theme:

Which legion's successor chapters are the most gifted in psyker arts?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero






The SoB murdered by the GK makes perfect sense when the SoB were able to weaken the Daemons but were still dying. The GK being the better warriors for the job at hand (ending an incursion) took the tools they had and completed their mission.
Nobody ever said they were happy about it.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





 Gert wrote:
The SoB murdered by the GK makes perfect sense when the SoB were able to weaken the Daemons but were still dying. The GK being the better warriors for the job at hand (ending an incursion) took the tools they had and completed their mission.
Nobody ever said they were happy about it.


I didn't read the story, so please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this:

The Grey Knights murdered the Sisters of Battle to use their blood as a ward against chaos corruption, right? And yet the Grey Knights are stated as already being resistant to the effects of chaos corruption, hence why Castellan Crowe is able to wield the Blade of Antwyr.

So...what was the point of that slaughter?





Add in the poor treatment of Sisters during 5th Ed (their "codex" was a White Dwarf article), and you see why people are upset at that story.
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero






Arcanis161 wrote:

I didn't read the story, so please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this:

The Grey Knights murdered the Sisters of Battle to use their blood as a ward against chaos corruption, right?

Think of it like garlic and vampires. The Knights basically had a kind power dampening field that then made it easier for their already sanctified weapons to end the incursion. It wasn't like the Knights murdered an entire Priory, just the remnants of one. They were more useful as a ritual than as soldiers at that point, which to me is pretty dark.

Add in the poor treatment of Sisters during 5th Ed (their "codex" was a White Dwarf article), and you see why people are upset at that story.

Honestly, a lot of the rage at Ward was massively overstated and frankly a joke. You can be mad that your army was used as murder bait again but how many of the people who sent horrible messages to Ward (that caused GW to print all future publications in anonymity for the safety of the writers) actually collected SoB?
   
Made in ca
Legendary Master of the Chapter





Arcanis161 wrote:
 Gert wrote:
The SoB murdered by the GK makes perfect sense when the SoB were able to weaken the Daemons but were still dying. The GK being the better warriors for the job at hand (ending an incursion) took the tools they had and completed their mission.
Nobody ever said they were happy about it.


I didn't read the story, so please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this:

The Grey Knights murdered the Sisters of Battle to use their blood as a ward against chaos corruption, right? And yet the Grey Knights are stated as already being resistant to the effects of chaos corruption, hence why Castellan Crowe is able to wield the Blade of Antwyr.

So...what was the point of that slaughter?





Add in the poor treatment of Sisters during 5th Ed (their "codex" was a White Dwarf article), and you see why people are upset at that story.


resistant doesn't mean proof.as many a parent has told a kid with a broken watch

Opinions are not facts please don't confuse the two 
   
Made in gb
Wise Ethereal with Bodyguard







I don’t think you need to collect a particular army to think that a story about that particular faction is distasteful… it’s also pretty demeaning to the GK.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/07/30 19:56:18


Please excuse any spelling errors. I use a tablet frequently and software keyboards are a pain!

Terranwing - w3;d1;l1
51st Dunedinw2;d0;l0
Cadre Coronal Afterglow w1;d0;l0 
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero






 Flinty wrote:
I don’t think you need to collect a particular army to think that a story about that particular faction is distasteful… it’s also pretty demeaning to the GK.

That would be the point though. You aren't supposed to think it's a cool good-guy thing to do because the Grey Knights are above sanction in an uncompromisingly cruel empire. Hilariously, despite all the whining and horrible stuff people did to him, Matt Ward wrote one of the most 40k pieces of background ever.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





 Flinty wrote:
I don’t think you need to collect a particular army to think that a story about that particular faction is distasteful… it’s also pretty demeaning to the GK.


Yeah, I didn't collect Sisters yet when that story was released, and I thought that was awful.
   
Made in fr
Stalwart Tribune





Are we sure they can't fall to chaos? 'cause ritualistically murdering a bunch of innocent women and painting yourself in their blood sounds exactly like something chaos would love...

If you enjoy that bit of fluff, then good for you but it seems weird, unnecessary and just out of place to me.
   
Made in gb
Wise Ethereal with Bodyguard







The story is super grim, which is 40k all over, but I think it’s just a bit jarring. The theme of loyalist forces killing innocents or their own troops to keep secrets is well worn at this point. Ritualistic slaughter by a force that had previously been sufficiently hardcore in combat not to need such assistance was a bit much. And obviously it plays on societal presets of doing bad things to nuns.

Please excuse any spelling errors. I use a tablet frequently and software keyboards are a pain!

Terranwing - w3;d1;l1
51st Dunedinw2;d0;l0
Cadre Coronal Afterglow w1;d0;l0 
   
Made in us
Did Fulgrim Just Behead Ferrus?




Noctis Labyrinthus

It's jarring because it contextually makes no sense given that very codex's fluff.

The Sisters in question were able to resist the bloodtide due to their faith. Yet the Grey Knights, whose faith and resistance to Chaos has ensured that not a single Grey Knight has ever fallen to Chaos or been corrupted, need to slaughter them and use their blood to drive off the bloodtide's corruption?

It's not grimdark, it's grimderp, needlessly edgy fluff that falls apart under scrutiny.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Background
Go to: