Switch Theme:

Do you frown upon grey models in matches?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Do you find unpainted minis in matches acceptable?
Yes its acceptable, if people cant be bothered painting then who cares
No its unacceptable they are lazy and are annoying
I prefer people have fully painted minis, but dont really care.

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Stormatious wrote:


In the true sence of the word some one who would be called a wargamer would not not paint there models its simple as that, im not good at using a bunch of technical words to break this down in to a detailed anaylisis of what a wargamer is, if you dont understand what i mean then imo that's not my fault. But it is true to say a TRUE war gamer paints his army... ok


So you're gatekeeping. Good to know.
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

What does that mean?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
What how do you not understand that. Theres another catagory you fit in to if you are not following the basic laws of wargaming

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/11 01:49:17


 
   
Made in us
Bounding Assault Marine



Leominster

Paint...your...fething...models.

If you are going to an event, come on.

This is why I prefer 30k. You almost never see a grey army.

"I was never a Son of Horus. I was and remain a Luna Wolf. A proud son of Cthonia, a loyal servant of the Emperor."

Recasts are like Fight Cub. No one talks about it, but more people do it then you realize.



Armies.
Luna Wolves 4,000 Points
Thousand Sons 4,000 Points. 
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

You definitly cant be called some one with a battlefield ready army, therefore how are you a wargamer with no army
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Stormatious wrote:
What does that mean?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
What how do you not understand that. Theres another catagory you fit in to if you are not following the basic laws of wargaming


https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gatekeeping

Tell me where these basic laws of wargaming are written down.

Tell me who the almighty authority enforcing them is.

   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

LunaWolvesLoyalist wrote:
Paint...your...fething...models.

If you are going to an event, come on.

This is why I prefer 30k. You almost never see a grey army.


Well with your spiritual guidance we can do this in 40k
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





LunaWolvesLoyalist wrote:
Paint...your...fething...models.

If you are going to an event, come on.

This is why I prefer 30k. You almost never see a grey army.


I see more grey armies in 30K than I do in 40K. But hey, each local is different.
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

 Mmmpi wrote:
 Stormatious wrote:
What does that mean?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
What how do you not understand that. Theres another catagory you fit in to if you are not following the basic laws of wargaming


https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gatekeeping

Tell me where these basic laws of wargaming are written down.

Tell me who the almighty authority enforcing them is.





These are unwritten laws, just like you are not acting like a idiot right now because that would go against being a civilized human
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Stormatious wrote:
You definitly cant be called some one with a battlefield ready army, therefore how are you a wargamer with no army


So being unpainted stops the player from rolling dice. Got it.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Stormatious wrote:
LunaWolvesLoyalist wrote:
Paint...your...fething...models.

If you are going to an event, come on.

This is why I prefer 30k. You almost never see a grey army.


Well with your spiritual guidance we can do this in 40k


Good luck.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Stormatious wrote:
 Mmmpi wrote:
 Stormatious wrote:
What does that mean?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
What how do you not understand that. Theres another catagory you fit in to if you are not following the basic laws of wargaming


https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gatekeeping

Tell me where these basic laws of wargaming are written down.

Tell me who the almighty authority enforcing them is.





These are unwritten laws, just like you are not acting like a idiot right now because that would go against being a civilized human


Ad hominum? Really?

So, how do you enforce these unwritten 'laws'?
Or even stop someone from making stuff up and calling it 'unwritten'?

I guess though you're just saying you don't have proof, so you're making an 'appeal to tradition'.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/01/11 01:58:34


 
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

 Mmmpi wrote:
 Stormatious wrote:
You definitly cant be called some one with a battlefield ready army, therefore how are you a wargamer with no army


So being unpainted stops the player from rolling dice. Got it.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Stormatious wrote:
LunaWolvesLoyalist wrote:
Paint...your...fething...models.

If you are going to an event, come on.

This is why I prefer 30k. You almost never see a grey army.


Well with your spiritual guidance we can do this in 40k


Good luck.



No but in the definition of the word battleready in miniture wargaming you are not. Doesn't mean you are not actauly ready.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Mmmpi wrote:
 Stormatious wrote:
You definitly cant be called some one with a battlefield ready army, therefore how are you a wargamer with no army


So being unpainted stops the player from rolling dice. Got it.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Stormatious wrote:
LunaWolvesLoyalist wrote:
Paint...your...fething...models.

If you are going to an event, come on.

This is why I prefer 30k. You almost never see a grey army.


Well with your spiritual guidance we can do this in 40k


Good luck.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Stormatious wrote:
 Mmmpi wrote:
 Stormatious wrote:
What does that mean?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
What how do you not understand that. Theres another catagory you fit in to if you are not following the basic laws of wargaming


https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gatekeeping

Tell me where these basic laws of wargaming are written down.

Tell me who the almighty authority enforcing them is.





These are unwritten laws, just like you are not acting like a idiot right now because that would go against being a civilized human


Ad hominum? Really?

So, how do you enforce these unwritten 'laws'?
Or even stop someone from making stuff up and calling it 'unwritten'?

I guess though you're just saying you don't have proof, so you're making an 'appeal to tradition'.





These are unwritten laws because there not enforced, as i said its just like being an idiot right now or acting civilized

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/11 02:00:27


 
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





No but in the definition of the word battleready in miniture wargaming you are not. Doesn't mean you are not actauly ready.


So you can tell me where that definition is written down then.

These are unwritten laws because there not enforced, as i said its just like being an idiot right now or acting civilized


So if it's not being enforced, and it's not written down, then it's not actually a rule. You're just trying to make people think it's one.

Also, don't forget rule #1 ( being an idiot right now)
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

 Mmmpi wrote:
No but in the definition of the word battleready in miniture wargaming you are not. Doesn't mean you are not actauly ready.


So you can tell me where that definition is written down then.

These are unwritten laws because there not enforced, as i said its just like being an idiot right now or acting civilized


So if it's not being enforced, and it's not written down, then it's not actually a rule. You're just trying to make people think it's one.

Also, don't forget rule #1 ( being an idiot right now)


if you look up common sence in the dictionary and ponder what i have said you will get it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/11 02:05:17


 
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Stormatious wrote:
 Mmmpi wrote:
No but in the definition of the word battleready in miniture wargaming you are not. Doesn't mean you are not actauly ready.


So you can tell me where that definition is written down then.

These are unwritten laws because there not enforced, as i said its just like being an idiot right now or acting civilized


So if it's not being enforced, and it's not written down, then it's not actually a rule. You're just trying to make people think it's one.

Also, don't forget rule #1 ( being an idiot right now)


if you look up common sence in the dictionary you might get what im saying.


https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&q=common+sense+meaning

Nope, it doesn't say what you claim.
   
Made in gb
Shas'la with Pulse Carbine




Eastern Fringe

Only play painted. As others have mentioned, I feel like it's a sign of respect for the game and your opponent. Obviously If soeone has just bought a new unit and want to try it out or you can see a force is making progress thats ok, but people who just play plastic are not generally the kinda games I want to play.

The first rule of unarmed combat is: don’t be unarmed. 
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

 Mmmpi wrote:
 Stormatious wrote:
 Mmmpi wrote:
No but in the definition of the word battleready in miniture wargaming you are not. Doesn't mean you are not actauly ready.


So you can tell me where that definition is written down then.

These are unwritten laws because there not enforced, as i said its just like being an idiot right now or acting civilized


So if it's not being enforced, and it's not written down, then it's not actually a rule. You're just trying to make people think it's one.

Also, don't forget rule #1 ( being an idiot right now)


if you look up common sence in the dictionary you might get what im saying.


https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&q=common+sense+meaning

Nope, it doesn't say what you claim.




No but it might help you know if you have common sence or not. There are words for things for a reason, if you think its fine to take some thign and change it and for its orginal name to still be there then i duno.
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





There are words for a reason. I should know. I'm an English teacher.

Common Sense as a phrase however, doesn't mean what you're claiming.

You're thinking "Traditional" instead, as in: It's a traditional view to have painted armies.
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

Ok its traditional.
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





So, why should the traditional view be the only one?
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

Because its a major part of what it means to have a miniture battleready army and therefore if your going to break tradition and change what it means you also need to find a new catagory to fit what you do in other then wargaming
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





As you define it. Not as everyone defines it.

Again, you're gatekeeping.
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

As it is defined, is minture wargaming in warahammer not defined as battling painted models?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
I mean one of the main definitions

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/11 02:29:04


 
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





Correct. Miniature war gaming is not defined as battling painted models.

My friend's dad plays a game called "Fires in the East". This WWII strategy game uses 1cm square cardboard chits. It's still a war game.
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

Im not going to win at debating you, ill just shut up but i still feel strongly that its a compulsary part of warhammer wargaming

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2019/01/11 02:34:13


 
   
Made in fi
Chaplain with Hate to Spare






 Mmmpi wrote:

My friend's dad plays a game called "Fires in the East". This WWII strategy game uses 1cm square cardboard chits. It's still a war game.

But it is not a miniature war game. But perhaps you'd be happier with that game, then you would't need to assemble the models either.

And as noted, this discussion doesn't happen with historicals, it is absolutely given that you paint your bloody models before playing.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. 
   
Made in us
Contagious Dreadnought of Nurgle






As Crimson said earlier, the game is clearly intended to be played with painted models. I don't think you can really argue that. Every indication given from GW's materials, battle reports etc. would lead one to the expectation of having each army be painted. Further, I'd argue that that expectation is a perfectly reasonable one.

If you don't like painting or just don't want to do it that's fine. I don't see why that's so hard to say (many people in this thread have) opposed to acting like everyone doesn't already know this is a miniature wargame or that the models are sold unpainted for a reason.

 
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





Ok, the only point I've been trying to make is that many people don't see it as compulsory, and not believing it doesn't exclude them from the gaming community.

You like painting and it's fine (so do I), but not liking to paint is a perfectly acceptable. Different strokes for different folks.

I've found gentle encouragement, and 'painting days' to be a big help in encouraging people to paint, rather than telling them they're doing it wrong for not painting.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Crimson wrote:
 Mmmpi wrote:

My friend's dad plays a game called "Fires in the East". This WWII strategy game uses 1cm square cardboard chits. It's still a war game.

But it is not a miniature war game. But perhaps you'd be happier with that game, then you would't need to assemble the models either.

And as noted, this discussion doesn't happen with historicals, it is absolutely given that you paint your bloody models before playing.


It's like you didn't read my first post in this thread.

I prefer painted armies, and opponents with different armies.

my whole point though, is that we don't get to decide what is right or wrong for fielding an army. Different people like different things, and forcing something, like painting, on people is a good way to get them to quit.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/11 02:39:49


 
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

Yeah i know i understand but we should just strongly encourage, im not saying exclude in any way at all but yeah its all good.
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Luciferian wrote:
As Crimson said earlier, the game is clearly intended to be played with painted models. I don't think you can really argue that. Every indication given from GW's materials, battle reports etc. would lead one to the expectation of having each army be painted. Further, I'd argue that that expectation is a perfectly reasonable one.

If you don't like painting or just don't want to do it that's fine. I don't see why that's so hard to say (many people in this thread have) opposed to acting like everyone doesn't already know this is a miniature wargame or that the models are sold unpainted for a reason.


My point is that it's not our place to force painting onto people. Gently encourage them, yes. But taking an arbitrary "My way is the only right way" stance is just going to force people out, who are otherwise fine people.
   
Made in nz
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Space, near Jupiter

 Mmmpi wrote:
 Luciferian wrote:
As Crimson said earlier, the game is clearly intended to be played with painted models. I don't think you can really argue that. Every indication given from GW's materials, battle reports etc. would lead one to the expectation of having each army be painted. Further, I'd argue that that expectation is a perfectly reasonable one.

If you don't like painting or just don't want to do it that's fine. I don't see why that's so hard to say (many people in this thread have) opposed to acting like everyone doesn't already know this is a miniature wargame or that the models are sold unpainted for a reason.


My point is that it's not our place to force painting onto people. Gently encourage them, yes. But taking an arbitrary "My way is the only right way" stance is just going to force people out, who are otherwise fine people.



Yeah you're right but i don't really know why you think any ones taking extreme stances against non painters


Automatically Appended Next Post:

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/01/11 02:43:30


 
   
Made in jp
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Stormatious wrote:
Yeah i know i understand but we should just strongly encourage, im not saying exclude in any way at all but yeah its all good.


Personally, i'd go with gently encourage. I know for myself, that if someone came up and told me strongly I'm not doing something right, and it was a subjective opinion, my first reaction would be to do the opposite as an FU to them.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: