Switch Theme:

Which codex has the most different play styles?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Which gets us back to "what is distinct".

That said, Reaper Deathstar is quite different from Spear Deathstar (although Spectre deathstar wouldn't be that different).
   
Made in us
Sinewy Scourge




Bharring wrote:
Which gets us back to "what is distinct".

That said, Reaper Deathstar is quite different from Spear Deathstar (although Spectre deathstar wouldn't be that different).
And spear deathstar/seer council play similarly.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





Drager wrote:
Bharring wrote:
Which gets us back to "what is distinct".

That said, Reaper Deathstar is quite different from Spear Deathstar (although Spectre deathstar wouldn't be that different).
And spear deathstar/seer council play similarly.

Yeah, my post was more in reference to considering things like Trukk spam vs BattleWagon spam as different builds. Where to draw the line is highly debateable.
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





Battlwagon spam would rely on nauts and planes for support and target saturation, while transports are supposed to protect expensive hammer units to break down defenses like nobz or Thrakka.
Trukk are (were?) mostly tons of fast boyz and cheap suicide units like MANz missiles or 5 tank bustas.

While the idea is the same, they play very different. However, the point is quite moot since neither archetype can be done well with the current state of boyz and transports.

Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Ultramarine Terminator with Assault Cannon






I'm going Tyranids. Their unit diversity is impressive, and multiple Hive Fleet traits offer pretty wide array of strong builds.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in us
Confessor Of Sins




CWE. Pick a strat, you can do it.

2500pts
2500
3000


 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






I'l lconced that bully boys is more of a sub-build and that orkzilla is similar to the battlewagons, but I stand by that having an army of gretchin doesn't fit in any of the other playstyles, so must be a distinct one. Grots are used to infuriate more than attack, it's a tricky thing to make work. And yeah, they need some big guns backing them up, but it's definitely different to all the other ones. So 7

4th Edition Orks in 7th, W/D/L 5/0/0 
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





Have you actually ever played 8th edition orks with a codex?

Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




 some bloke wrote:
Orks can do:
Green Tide (all the boys)
Grot Horde (MSU gretchin, everywhere!)
Dreadbash
Battlewagon Bash
Trukk Rush
Gunline (lootas, mek guns, flash gitz)
biker bash
orkzilla (squiggoths and gargantuan squiggoths)
Speed Freek (buggies, bikes, trukks and stormboys)
Flyboys (all the fliers, with minimal support to make them fit in)
Bully Boys (all elites - 'ard boys, skar boys, Meganobs and nobs)
and of course, a mix of any of the above. I'm sure there're ones I haven't mentioned, as well!
12 to beat! bring it on, 'oomies!


And of those which are competitive? Green Tide can work.....kind of....if its heavily backed up by Mek gunz and Weirdboyz but not really that competitive anymor.
Grot horde is just being a troll. You are literally spamming one of the worst units in the game as troops in order to force your opponent to try and kill enough of them before the end of the game. Not competitive nor any fun.
Dreadbash, I call this a Kan wall or Mek Army. They suck. The Nauts are okish but the Dreadz suck and the Kanz are unplayable in anything but a friendly game.
Battlewagon Bash, in a competitive game you will lose, 9 wagonz at most with 4+ saves against armies that are designed to kill an Imperial Knight in 1 turn....not going to end well.
Trukk Rush: Exactly the same as Battewagon bash but worse on every level, Trukkz are flimsy and over priced and suck in CC.
Gunline: Same as green tide really. With the removal of the Loota Mob up ability it actually is seen less and less often.
Biker Bash: You lose turn 1, congrats. Warbikes suck....in everyway possible.
Orkzilla: Same as Wagon rush but worse somehow.
Speed Freakz: Better then Biker Bash, you lose turn 2. Buggies, bikes and trukkz, 3 of our worst units. Stormboyz are questionable at this point in time.
Flyboyz: Unable to inflict any real damage against T8 which means most armies just outlast this list and kill the infantry which results in an auto-forfeit for the ork player.
BullyBoyz: You lose the turn after your Bullyboyz disembark or appear from reserve. 3 wounds with 2+ save sounds good until Plasma becomes a thing....and its a thing.

Realistically there are about 2 different competitive builds and about 5 truly different play styles.

If at first you don't succeed then Sky Diving isn't for you. 
   
Made in de
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade




The OP question is not about competitive builds, though, just about playstyles. Therefore the codex with the most different units and unit types should probably win.
   
Made in us
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot






Sgt. Cortez wrote:
The OP question is not about competitive builds, though, just about playstyles. Therefore the codex with the most different units and unit types should probably win.


by that definition then its got to be codex space marines by virtue of having the most entries by far.

10000 points 7000
6000
5000
5000
2000
 
   
Made in us
Dominating Dominatrix






 G00fySmiley wrote:
Sgt. Cortez wrote:
The OP question is not about competitive builds, though, just about playstyles. Therefore the codex with the most different units and unit types should probably win.


by that definition then its got to be codex space marines by virtue of having the most entries by far.


And is only true if you ignore unit overlap and redundancies. Using this artillery unit in place of this artillery unit doesn't make it a different play style.


These are my opinions. This is how I feel. Others may feel differently. This needs to be stated for some reason.

 JohnHwangDD wrote:

The Nazis were right. It's better to be a Nazi than a fan.

Thank you for getting me on the side of Milo and the Nazis.

 
   
Made in nl
Crazed Spirit of the Defiler




New SM codex is also certainly going to be up there as far as variety goes with Angels of Death giving Marines some much needed melee boosts.
   
Made in ca
Wicked Wych With a Whip




 G00fySmiley wrote:
Sgt. Cortez wrote:
The OP question is not about competitive builds, though, just about playstyles. Therefore the codex with the most different units and unit types should probably win.


by that definition then its got to be codex space marines by virtue of having the most entries by far.


Its not Marines I'll tell you that.

To count as a different build it needs two things.

First it must play different. Swapping an apothecary for an ancient doesn't give you a new list. Adding a few devistators doesn't make a new list. But putting everyone on a bike or in a rhino does.

Second. The list must work. You don't need to be winning at major tournaments but it needs to be a credible threat. It needs to be competitive in your local tourneys. Shooting lists need to kill or cripple a couple targets a turn (or better) assult lists must make it to their targets with enough left to crush them. You don't have to win every game but there needs to be a chance you could win.
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





Pandabeer wrote:
New SM codex is also certainly going to be up there as far as variety goes with Angels of Death giving Marines some much needed melee boosts.


agreed. a melee centric space marine army looks like it will now be VERY viable. White scars will play COMPLETELY differant from Ultramarines.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Headlss wrote:
 G00fySmiley wrote:
Sgt. Cortez wrote:
The OP question is not about competitive builds, though, just about playstyles. Therefore the codex with the most different units and unit types should probably win.


by that definition then its got to be codex space marines by virtue of having the most entries by far.


Its not Marines I'll tell you that.

To count as a different build it needs two things.

First it must play different. Swapping an apothecary for an ancient doesn't give you a new list. Adding a few devistators doesn't make a new list. But putting everyone on a bike or in a rhino does.

Second. The list must work. You don't need to be winning at major tournaments but it needs to be a credible threat. It needs to be competitive in your local tourneys. Shooting lists need to kill or cripple a couple targets a turn (or better) assult lists must make it to their targets with enough left to crush them. You don't have to win every game but there needs to be a chance you could win.


False. Someone commented about my reply that the list DOES NOT have to be competitive. So therefore it just has to be legal which means it goes by the army with the most units. SM's have a TON of units that can perform any task, maybe not well but they can do it. If we are going to move the goal posts to "Competitive" then that is a different matter.

If at first you don't succeed then Sky Diving isn't for you. 
   
Made in us
Charging Cold One Rider





I can give you a strong competitor for least.


Ta`u

8000 Dark Angels (No primaris)
10000 Lizardmen (Fantasy I miss you)
3000 High Elves
150 Tau
Artie Nelson: Y'know what the Talmud says? When someone's comin' to kill ya, get up early, kill 'em first. 
   
Made in ca
Wicked Wych With a Whip




SemperMortis wrote:
Headlss wrote:
 G00fySmiley wrote:
Sgt. Cortez wrote:
The OP question is not about competitive builds, though, just about playstyles. Therefore the codex with the most different units and unit types should probably win.


by that definition then its got to be codex space marines by virtue of having the most entries by far.


Its not Marines I'll tell you that.

To count as a different build it needs two things.

First it must play different. Swapping an apothecary for an ancient doesn't give you a new list. Adding a few devistators doesn't make a new list. But putting everyone on a bike or in a rhino does.

Second. The list must work. You don't need to be winning at major tournaments but it needs to be a credible threat. It needs to be competitive in your local tourneys. Shooting lists need to kill or cripple a couple targets a turn (or better) assult lists must make it to their targets with enough left to crush them. You don't have to win every game but there needs to be a chance you could win.


False. Someone commented about my reply that the list DOES NOT have to be competitive. So therefore it just has to be legal which means it goes by the army with the most units. SM's have a TON of units that can perform any task, maybe not well but they can do it. If we are going to move the goal posts to "Competitive" then that is a different matter.


I am the OP. clarification is not goal post shifting. And to clarify the list must "work" it must do what it supposed to do. A ramdom sampling of the units in the codex doesn't count.

Second I did state in the OP that the lists must play radically different. So again a random sampling of the units in the codex doesn't count.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Headlss wrote:
SemperMortis wrote:
Headlss wrote:
 G00fySmiley wrote:
Sgt. Cortez wrote:
The OP question is not about competitive builds, though, just about playstyles. Therefore the codex with the most different units and unit types should probably win.


by that definition then its got to be codex space marines by virtue of having the most entries by far.


Its not Marines I'll tell you that.

To count as a different build it needs two things.

First it must play different. Swapping an apothecary for an ancient doesn't give you a new list. Adding a few devistators doesn't make a new list. But putting everyone on a bike or in a rhino does.

Second. The list must work. You don't need to be winning at major tournaments but it needs to be a credible threat. It needs to be competitive in your local tourneys. Shooting lists need to kill or cripple a couple targets a turn (or better) assult lists must make it to their targets with enough left to crush them. You don't have to win every game but there needs to be a chance you could win.


False. Someone commented about my reply that the list DOES NOT have to be competitive. So therefore it just has to be legal which means it goes by the army with the most units. SM's have a TON of units that can perform any task, maybe not well but they can do it. If we are going to move the goal posts to "Competitive" then that is a different matter.


I am the OP. clarification is not goal post shifting. And to clarify the list must "work" it must do what it supposed to do. A ramdom sampling of the units in the codex doesn't count.

Second I did state in the OP that the lists must play radically different. So again a random sampling of the units in the codex doesn't count.


Well if it must "Work" but it doesn't have to be competitive then SM's win yet again.

SM's can do horde: Army of cheap Scouts and not much else.
SM's can do Vehicle gun line: Any number of units, focusing around predators.
SM's can do T8 spam: Land Raiders
SM's can do Flyer spam: Again a number of flyers.
SM's can do assaulty infantry: Assault squads
SM's can do armored fist: Rhino's/land Raiders loaded with infantry.
SM's can do Biker spam: Bikers and scout bikes
SM's can do a speed list: Rhinos for troops and land speeders and some flyers.
SM's can do Heavy infantry: Centurions and Termiantors.
SM's can do gunline infantry: Devestators, Dev Cents, min tac squads with a heavy weapon, etc.
SM's can do a Walker list: Hell, they have more walkers then Orkz do now.
SM's can do a specialist list: Primaris and the like.

So yeah, if the goal posts is "Works" then SM's win because they have the most units. Again, if you want to make it "competitive" that is a different story.

If at first you don't succeed then Sky Diving isn't for you. 
   
Made in it
Regular Dakkanaut




SM should have the biggest range and capabilities
   
Made in de
Waaagh! Ork Warboss on Warbike





Orks should have the biggest range and capabilities.

Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in ie
Norn Queen






Dublin, Ireland

Nids should have the biggest range and capabilities.

Dman137 wrote:
goobs is all you guys will ever be

By 1-irt: Still as long as Hissy keeps showing up this is one of the most entertaining threads ever.

"Feelin' goods, good enough". 
   
Made in us
Sinewy Scourge




Tau should have the biggest range and capabilities.
   
Made in us
Cog in the Machine




Washington, DC

Admech has quite a few.

You have:

1. Cawl-Ball gunline that groups up in a big ball and slowly moves up the field.

2. Mass Skitarii, usually Graia or Lucius

3. Aggressive Assault, using dragoons, infiltrators / sicarians and fulgurites / hoplights in transports

4. Ryza mid-field blaster gunline with kataphron plasma

5. Gunline + dragoons with Stygies

#dontbeatony

3500+
(Raven Guard) 7000+
(Scions) 1500+ 
   
Made in gb
Implacable Skitarii





 Valentine009 wrote:
Admech has quite a few.

You have:

1. Cawl-Ball gunline that groups up in a big ball and slowly moves up the field.

2. Mass Skitarii, usually Graia or Lucius

3. Aggressive Assault, using dragoons, infiltrators / sicarians and fulgurites / hoplights in transports

4. Ryza mid-field blaster gunline with kataphron plasma

5. Gunline + dragoons with Stygies


Don't forget Kataphron Breacher Spam, Ironstriders & Skorpius for agressive mobile shooting.

Praise the Omnissiah

About 4k of .

Imperial Knights (Valiant, Warden & Armigers)

Some Misc. Imperium units etc. Assassins...

About 2k of  
   
Made in us
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot





Iowa

Guard should have the biggest range and capabilities.

If the truth can destroy it, then it deserves to be destroyed. 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




I'm really not buying into the Eldar being that diverse.

I suppose you could argue that Dark Eldar have Kabal/Wych/Coven and Eldar have Footdar and Fleetdar. But whichever list you choose there is almost no decision making process involved in what you take because so few things actually work.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: