Switch Theme:

Question about terrain placement  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Been Around the Block




Eastern Kingdoms

When placing terrain do you have to go by the chart in the rule book or is that a guideline? is is possible to cheat with terrain placement adding way to much to a small battle plan.
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos




You can set up terrain however you want. If you have two people that cannot agree on terrain, then you use the chart in the rules. If you are going by the chart in the rules, then you are doing things "by the book" so there would be no "cheating".

GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




Eastern Kingdoms

 auticus wrote:
You can set up terrain however you want. If you have two people that cannot agree on terrain, then you use the chart in the rules. If you are going by the chart in the rules, then you are doing things "by the book" so there would be no "cheating".


What if you didnt go by the chart and only one person set up terrain with a new player not knowing they had a say in it
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos






 Uldakh wrote:
 auticus wrote:
You can set up terrain however you want. If you have two people that cannot agree on terrain, then you use the chart in the rules. If you are going by the chart in the rules, then you are doing things "by the book" so there would be no "cheating".


What if you didnt go by the chart and only one person set up terrain with a new player not knowing they had a say in it


I would consider that do be a move on the part of the experienced player.

2750 Unliving Legion of the Zarith Dynasty
840 Imperial Knights of House Janis
2000 Khorne Bloodbound of the Skullfiend Tribe (Aqshy)
2000 Tzeentch Arcanites of the Cult of Searing Light (Hysh)
3000 Slaves to Darkness of the Legion of Rusted Chains (Allpoints/Azyr)
2500 Sylvaneth of the Seelie Court (Ghyran)
 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




Eastern Kingdoms

 EnTyme wrote:
 Uldakh wrote:
 auticus wrote:
You can set up terrain however you want. If you have two people that cannot agree on terrain, then you use the chart in the rules. If you are going by the chart in the rules, then you are doing things "by the book" so there would be no "cheating".


What if you didnt go by the chart and only one person set up terrain with a new player not knowing they had a say in it


I would consider that do be a move on the part of the experienced player.


I had a feeling it was fishy it was the scorched earth battle plan the guy put out tons of terrain seemed like he looked at my army off to the side before deploy asked himself "how it looked" and when i answered "That looks like enough" said nah lets add some more, there was like 15 pieces of terrain. I was playing a horde army i felt like he placed it to bottle neck me.
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos




Depends. If the new player is someone that wants to play by the rules as written only, then that should be communicated.

I'll often set up a table and let my opponent move stuff around however they want.

In our "official" campaign games we use the method in the rules.

Without hearing the other side of the story, who knows?

If you have two people that are playing competitively and not casually, then I'd absolutely always use the rule pamphlet way of doing it.

GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




Eastern Kingdoms

It was a practice game for a coming up tournament. only thing communicated before hand was the point value of the armies and a dice roll on what the battle plan would be. then he went placing things however without telling me anything or asking me anything. i had no idea i was suppose to do any of what you stated.
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos




Well to be fair if its for a tournament, you don't get to usually place the terrain. The tournament organizer will have the tables laid out.

Though typically in a tournament there is hardly any terrain in my experience because its not easy to stock a bunch of tables with decent amounts of terrain.

GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in us
Chaos Space Marine dedicated to Slaanesh




New Orleans, LA -USA

Sorry if this is thread-necromancy.

When you use the "official" method for terrain (roll on the chart), are there rules for what pieces of terrain can be placed? I'm referring to special terrain pieces that have rules.

I'm a Sylvaneth player and while I do get one "free" Wyldwood after terrain setup, I was wondering if I get some during normal terrain setup. Do we alternate placing terrain; is it just mutually agreeable; is it "no named terrain" during battlefield setup?

I'm fine either way, I'd just like to know how others play it.

Cheers and thanks!

-Jon

Emperor's Children (30k/40k), Tyranids, Sylvaneth 
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos




Nope there is no chart or anything you just place what you want.

GW points don't bring balance. They exist purely for structure. You can get more balance from no points than you do from GW points. You however can get no structure in your game without points. 
   
Made in us
Chaos Space Marine dedicated to Slaanesh




New Orleans, LA -USA

 auticus wrote:
Nope there is no chart or anything you just place what you want.


Okay, that's what I thought. I'll just talk it over with my opponent and come to an agreement. :-)

Thanks!

-Jon

Emperor's Children (30k/40k), Tyranids, Sylvaneth 
   
 
Forum Index » AoS Tactics, Army Lists & Rules Questions
Go to: