Switch Theme:

Warhammer in Vietnam  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ie
Death-Dealing Dark Angels Devastator




Hanoi, Vietnam.

Hi all.

I recently made the decision to move to Vietnam and I'd hate to have to abandon the hobby because of a lack of community. Is anyone here aware of any sort of community or group of wargamers anywhere in Vietnam. Do GW even ship their products there?
   
Made in es
Krazed Killa Kan




Barcelona, Spain

 Ginjitzu wrote:
Hi all.

I recently made the decision to move to Vietnam and I'd hate to have to abandon the hobby because of a lack of community. Is anyone here aware of any sort of community or group of wargamers anywhere in Vietnam. Do GW even ship their products there?


To my understanding, bar catachans, they do ship everything.


From my store-finder-fu, though, I've only found one independent store in Saigon, though.


   
Made in de
Guard Heavy Weapon Crewman





Lord Kragan wrote:
 Ginjitzu wrote:
Hi all.

I recently made the decision to move to Vietnam and I'd hate to have to abandon the hobby because of a lack of community. Is anyone here aware of any sort of community or group of wargamers anywhere in Vietnam. Do GW even ship their products there?


To my understanding, bar catachans, they do ship everything.


From my store-finder-fu, though, I've only found one independent store in Saigon, though.




Catachans are actually banned in Vietnam?
   
Made in nl
Wrathful Warlord Titan Commander





Somewhere... over the rainbow

Nearest GW store seems to be in Hong Kong.
However, there is a store called Empire Capital Shop in Ho-Chi-Minh City. From its Facebook page it seems like a pretty neat FLGS. Looks like they stock primarily or only GW products and also have playing spaces.
From looking at a few fora, it seems there are no stores in Hanoi however, and it also seems people find it difficult to get GW products there (apart from counterfeit stuff from China).
This is just from a 5-min Google search though.

А сегодня, что для завтра сделал Я?
But today I don't feel like doing anything... 
   
Made in es
Krazed Killa Kan




Barcelona, Spain

 Esmer wrote:
Lord Kragan wrote:
 Ginjitzu wrote:
Hi all.

I recently made the decision to move to Vietnam and I'd hate to have to abandon the hobby because of a lack of community. Is anyone here aware of any sort of community or group of wargamers anywhere in Vietnam. Do GW even ship their products there?


To my understanding, bar catachans, they do ship everything.


From my store-finder-fu, though, I've only found one independent store in Saigon, though.




Catachans are actually banned in Vietnam?


No, they just get too many flashbacks when they come back.
   
Made in ie
Death-Dealing Dark Angels Devastator




Hanoi, Vietnam.

 Iron_Captain wrote:
Nearest GW store seems to be in Hong Kong.
However, there is a store called Empire Capital Shop in Ho-Chi-Minh City. From its Facebook page it seems like a pretty neat FLGS. Looks like they stock primarily or only GW products and also have playing spaces.
From looking at a few fora, it seems there are no stores in Hanoi however, and it also seems people find it difficult to get GW products there (apart from counterfeit stuff from China).
This is just from a 5-min Google search though.


Your 5 minute Google-fu is excellent sir! That Empire Capitol Shop looks like it might fit the bill perfectly! Thanks. Now to learn how to say "2 up, rerollable invuln save" in Vietnamese and I should fit right in
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Illuminati






Arlington, va

As I always I recommend adding yourself and Empire capitol to the player and store finders (links at the top of the screen). I've had luck with them in China and India and you may as well.

 
   
Made in ru
[DCM]
Cultist of Nurgle with Open Sores





You can fly to Australian tournaments, though.

But comparing to Albion, Eastern Hemisphere is a wasteland.
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

Looking at the images of Empire Capital Shop, and also by realising the name of rthe shop is not a translation it is evident that English is the primary language for gaming.

This makes sense as I am 99% certain GW would not bother to localise to Vietnamese. Some of the clientelle also looked white.

For someone looking to move over and learn the language it there are worse ways, you will meet an English speaking community in Vietnam, over a hobby you like.
However it will be odd if the first Vietnamese you get to speak is "make your panic test" rather than "where can I buy some food".
I am interested in how far you will get on in life speaking only fluent Warhammer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/11/13 00:26:49


n'oublie jamais

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.
 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Illuminati






Arlington, va

When I was in China (a much larger market) it was a mix of expats, English speaking Chinese (who got into games while overseas) and some fan translations.

I'd expect Vietnam will be similar

 
   
Made in ie
Death-Dealing Dark Angels Devastator




Hanoi, Vietnam.

 Orlanth wrote:
Looking at the images of Empire Capital Shop, and also by realising the name of rthe shop is not a translation it is evident that English is the primary language for gaming.

I've started following their Facebook page. They seem to make a combination of English and Vietnamese posts.

This makes sense as I am 99% certain GW would not bother to localise to Vietnamese. Some of the clientelle also looked white.

For someone looking to move over and learn the language it there are worse ways, you will meet an English speaking community in Vietnam, over a hobby you like.

This was my thought as well.

However it will be odd if the first Vietnamese you get to speak is "make your panic test" rather than "where can I buy some food".
I am interested in how far you will get on in life speaking only fluent Warhammer.

   
 
Forum Index » Local Gaming
Go to: