Switch Theme:

Sonic the Genestealer - Gotta Go Fast!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut







I ran into this one...amusing observation, so correct me if this is wrong because I saw it second-hand.

Rules as Written says that advancing increases your movement stat "for that movement phase". Hive fleet Kraken has the stratagem "Opportunistic Advance" (1 CP) which doubles the result for advances. Since this is Kraken, your fleet adaptation lets you roll 3d6 and take the highest. This gives you a six most often (~42%), so for the rest of this assume you're always getting a six. A unit of Genestealers moves 8" base; with Opportunistic Advance and a roll of 6, their movement goes up by 12" to 20".

Here's where it gets interesting. There's another stratagem called "Metabolic Overdrive" (1 CP) which allows a unit to move and advance again in their movement phase. This makes you roll d6 for each model and deal a mortal wound on a 6, and you can't shoot or charge afterwords, but you're still moving.

RaW, the Genestealers' movement stat is currently 20". Since the unit is Advancing again, with Opportunistic Advance still active for that Movement Phase, the Genestealers now move 8"+12"+12" or 32".

The Swarmlord has an ability called "Hive Commander" that allows for a unit within 6" to move during the shooting phase as if it were the movement phase, which includes advancing. However, this is a different Phase so the Advances are no longer doubled and from a reset. Our genestealers can now move 8" + 6" for their advance.

With the right positioning, a unit of genestealers can move 20"+32"+14" in one turn.
Genestealers can outrun supersonic aircraft.

On foot.
   
Made in es
Dark Angels Librarian with Book of Secrets




Vigo. Spain.

Seems fluff accurate.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Ultramarine Terminator with Assault Cannon






Haven't seen something like that since the eversor assassin with special issue combat drugs and the quickening cast on him for iirc 72" move in 2nd edition.

And They Shall Not Fit Through Doors!!!

Tyranid Army Progress -- With Classic Warriors!:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/743240.page#9671598 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




I don't think that's RAI, even if it is RAW. And I would let you do that to me once then just decline further games from you.
Point is, even if you find a loophole don't exploit it like that, it only ruins the game for everyone.
   
Made in de
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





Azuza001 wrote:
I don't think that's RAI, even if it is RAW. And I would let you do that to me once then just decline further games from you.
Point is, even if you find a loophole don't exploit it like that, it only ruins the game for everyone.


Except those genestealers which were running circles around your army cannot assault it that turn. You know, unlike genestealers that can just assault you using the swarmlord and no further stratagems.

Point is, people will find a reason to throw a tantrum, flip the table and leave no matter what you do. That is ruining games a lot more than some genestealers outrunning eldar wraith fighers.

Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle




In My Lab

Azuza001 wrote:
I don't think that's RAI, even if it is RAW. And I would let you do that to me once then just decline further games from you.
Point is, even if you find a loophole don't exploit it like that, it only ruins the game for everyone.


Seems unnecessarily rude. He's not even advocating doing it-he's just pointing out a fun rules quirk. And honestly, if someone pulled this, I'd stop the game-not because it's wrong, but because I'd be laughing my ass off.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in gb
Imperial Admiral






Even without the Easter egg it's still 20+20+14 which will get you pretty much wherever you want.
   
Made in il
Tzeentch Doomlord Pilot






Well, you technically CAN do it.

But why? Seems like a huge effort for no gains.

can neither confirm nor deny I lost track of what I've got right now. 
   
Made in us
Pyro Pilot of a Triach Stalker





 BoomWolf wrote:
Well, you technically CAN do it.

But why? Seems like a huge effort for no gains.

Sometimes the thought experiment is its own reward.

Maybe one day you'll have the opportunity to zip a genestealer from one side of the table to the other to secure a game-winning objective. But even if it never comes up in real life the fact that it could is hilarious.
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 Arachnofiend wrote:
 BoomWolf wrote:
Well, you technically CAN do it.

But why? Seems like a huge effort for no gains.

Sometimes the thought experiment is its own reward.

Maybe one day you'll have the opportunity to zip a genestealer from one side of the table to the other to secure a game-winning objective. But even if it never comes up in real life the fact that it could is hilarious.


I could see that being maybe usable on some frigging big multi-player apoc game but that's about it.

So while amusing hardly game breaking or one you really expect to do in real life.

“Nothing has a definite nature, so people cannot be purely evil. Even so-called evil people will aspire to follow a moral path when they feel a sense of community.” – Kukai

11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
3225 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut



Portland,OR

A game that has a victory condition of exiting infantry? T1 "zip, zap,zooom!" lol
   
Made in nl
Longtime Dakkanaut




That is pretty funny. Gamewise it is also pretty useless to speed around with your genestealers if you are not allowed to charge with them.
   
Made in ca
Mekboy Hammerin' Somethin'




Kapuskasing, ON

Nice find. If I was to ever see it happen on table I'd be one to say "cool road runner trick". Lol at the one calling it fluff accurate. I'd giggle if I read a story of super sonic genestealers breaking the sound barrier on foot in the middle of a hive city. Writing quality wouldn't surprise me.
   
Made in us
Clousseau





East Bay, Ca, US

This is pointless. They can't charge after all that moving.

You can deep strike them for less points and Cps.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/11/09 22:09:46


 Galas wrote:
I remember when Marmatag was a nooby, all shiney and full of joy. How playing the unbalanced mess of Warhammer40k in a ultra-competitive meta has changed you

Bharring wrote:
He'll actually *change his mind* in the presence of sufficient/sufficiently defended information. Heretic.
 
   
Made in ca
Mekboy Hammerin' Somethin'




Kapuskasing, ON

Just forging a narrative. =P
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut







 Marmatag wrote:
This is pointless. They can't charge after all that moving.

You can deep strike them for less points and Cps.


Can't Deep Strike within 9" of an enemy unit. You may just want to zip past some enemies to grab a Relic or cap an Objective from behind them.

Nothing personal, kid.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




I wasn't trying to sound rude, I was simply saying that it's not a very good thing to do as far as RAI and keeping the game fun for all. And as others have pointed out there could still be uses besides attacking.

Say your playing malestorm and get a "secure objective" that you have no one near and it's across the board, with this trick you could rush in and grab it from the other side of the table.

Is it silly? Yes. Is it right? Obviously not, it's an unintended side effect of the rules in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




So how much time would you say you spend on /tg/?
   
Made in us
Tough Tyrant Guard





We've been talking about this on the Hive atm.

General Consensus is that you're supposed to roll for each advance.

http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/thread/53911/metabolic-overdrive-oppotunistic-advance-question

PourSpelur wrote:
It's fully within the rules for me to look up your Facebook page, find out your dear Mother Gladys is single, take her on a lovely date, and tell you all the details of our hot, sweaty, animal sex during your psychic phase.
I mean, fifty bucks is on the line.
There's no rule that says I can't.
Hive Fleet Hercual - 6760pts
Cult of Saint Alahsuk Aroadr - 3400 pts
Seraphon - 4600pts
 
   
Made in de
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





pinecone77 wrote:
A game that has a victory condition of exiting infantry? T1 "zip, zap,zooom!" lol

We once had a race game where we would remove the two rightmost tiles whenever any model reached the left border of the battlefield (destroying everything on those tiles), shifted the entire battlefield to the right and added the two tiles on the left side. Last one with anything alive would win the game.

Orks won the game with eldar protesting that deff rolling the leading wave serpent was not in the spirit of the race

Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in gb
Jovial Plaguebearer of Nurgle





Harlow

This is genious.

Age of Sigmar - Sylvaneth - 5,360.
Horus Heresy - World Eaters - 8,684.
Warhammer 40K - Death Guard - 4,079.
Guildball - Hunters, Masons, Morticians. 
   
Made in gb
Painting Within the Lines




Sheep Loveland

I'd honestly be laughing too hard and making outrageously bad sonic impression to even care if this is breaking the spirit of the game.

IMHO having fun is more important, and supersonic genestealer blurs are bang on the money in that regard!

Custodes 1,900pts 100% painted
Minatours 2,500pts 30% painted 
   
Made in gb
Sinewy Scourge




I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
   
Made in de
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





I'm gonna steal that for my signature

Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in gb
Instigating Incubi




The dark behind the eyes.

I'm disappointed that this thread did not contain any Genestealers converted and painted to look like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Akiasura wrote:
I hate to sound like a serial killer, but I'll be reaching for my friend occam's razor yet again.
 Andilus Greatsword wrote:

"Prepare to open fire at that towering Wraithknight!"
"ARE YOU DAFT MAN!?! YOU MIGHT HIT THE MEN WHO COME UP TO ITS ANKLES!!!"



 insaniak wrote:

You're not. If you're worried about your opponent using 'fake' rules, you're having fun the wrong way. This hobby isn't about rules. It's about buying Citadel miniatures.

Please report to your nearest GW store for attitude readjustment. Take your wallet.
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut







 vipoid wrote:
I'm disappointed that this thread did not contain any Genestealers converted and painted to look like Sonic the Hedgehog.


No! How can't this be?
   
Made in us
Legendary Master of the Chapter






this is the closest my google foo will do.

so is sanic here the fastest unit in the game?

 Unit1126PLL wrote:
 Scott-S6 wrote:
And yet another thread is hijacked for Unit to ask for the same advice, receive the same answers and make the same excuses.

Oh my god I'm becoming martel.
Send help!

 
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran





Mississippi

 MagicJuggler wrote:
 Marmatag wrote:
This is pointless. They can't charge after all that moving.

You can deep strike them for less points and Cps.


Can't Deep Strike within 9" of an enemy unit. You may just want to zip past some enemies to grab a Relic or cap an Objective from behind them.

Nothing personal, kid.


One of the things you listed was the Swarmlord letting them move in the Shooting phase, so if you could figure out a way to DS Swarmy, you could use the following Advance towards the Relic or Objective (and if the enemy is more than 9" away from the Relic/Objective, you can just DS them right on top of it).

Also, isn't there a rule you can't use two Stratagems in the same phase?

It never ends well 
   
Made in us
Rotting Sorcerer of Nurgle




In My Lab

 Stormonu wrote:
 MagicJuggler wrote:
 Marmatag wrote:
This is pointless. They can't charge after all that moving.

You can deep strike them for less points and Cps.


Can't Deep Strike within 9" of an enemy unit. You may just want to zip past some enemies to grab a Relic or cap an Objective from behind them.

Nothing personal, kid.


One of the things you listed was the Swarmlord letting them move in the Shooting phase, so if you could figure out a way to DS Swarmy, you could use the following Advance towards the Relic or Objective (and if the enemy is more than 9" away from the Relic/Objective, you can just DS them right on top of it).

Also, isn't there a rule you can't use two Stratagems in the same phase?


Can't use the SAME Stratagem twice in the same phase.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in us
Douglas Bader






Welcome to the dumpster fire of 8th edition. Remember when people said it was going to be better than 7th?

There is no such thing as a hobby without politics. "Leave politics at the door" is itself a political statement, an endorsement of the status quo and an attempt to silence dissenting voices. 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: