Switch Theme:

Can units with fly charge past units?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Nasty Nob





Denver, Colorado

So, I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I was thinking about it, and it would be kind of neat, at least.

But the rulebook says: "If the data sheet for a model says it can fly, it can move across models and terrain as if they were not there."

It says that in the movement section, so would it only apply to the movement phase? Or could it apply to a charge move?

For example, would it be possible for a flying unit (e.g. stormboyz) to charge over a screening unit to assault something behind it?

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.". Words to live by, especially for ork players waiting for a new codex.  
   
Made in gb
Gargantuan Gargant





 Kap'n Krump wrote:
So, I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I was thinking about it, and it would be kind of neat, at least.

But the rulebook says: "If the data sheet for a model says it can fly, it can move across models and terrain as if they were not there."

It says that in the movement section, so would it only apply to the movement phase? Or could it apply to a charge move?

For example, would it be possible for a flying unit (e.g. stormboyz) to charge over a screening unit to assault something behind it?
Charge moves follow the same rules as movement.

"After any Overwatch has been resolved, roll 2D6. Each model in the charging unit can move up to this number of inches..."
"Once you’ve moved all the models in the charging unit..."

The only rules we have that tell us how to "move" are those in the movement phase rules. Thus, if you can FLY, you can "move across models and terrain as if they were not there"

Yellow for Emphasis.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2017/12/27 16:04:19


Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written in the rulebook, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective.
Because some people get their knickers in a twist, I'll list these RaW 'oddities' in my sig. Sadly GW's promise of fixing their broken rules has itself been broken. RaW you cannot advance and then fire assault weapons, you can't shoot pistols if within 1" of an enemy, "minimum" ranges don't work, Seraphim have to re-roll saves that "fail" pre-re-roll, the game simply breaks if you ever have more than one wounded model in a unit, the game also breaks if a single rule ever tries to do multiple things simultaneously, Khârn punches himself in the face if he's not near some meatshields, Librarians on Bikes are locked to the Index power list, Howling Banshees can't declare a charge further than 12", Spore Mines have an infinite range, Shroudpsalm technically doesn't do anything, only enemy models, not friendly models, have permission to move on top of a Skyshield Landing Pad, T'au have access to stackable Ignore Wounds (albeit against Mortal Wounds only), and T'au Early Warning Override Support System only works if a unit is "teleporting to the battlefield", not just arriving mid-battle, Genestealer Cults can no longer move after ambushing, you can only ever use the Deathwatch Teleportarium Stratagem "once", and then never again in any battle after you use it, single use weapons MUST be fired the first time a model shoots if they are in range and LOS, if a model splits fire, each weapon must target a different unit, the Agents of Vect stratagem can be used by ANY Drukhari army, not just one with a Kabal of the Black Heart detachment, a Tyrant Guard with Lashwhip can absorb an infinite amount of damage via Shieldwall between the time they die and the time they fight, Chapter Tactics on Successor Chapters don't actually do anything, Codex Leman Russ's can take an infinite amount of Hunter-Killer Missiles, Storm Bolters and Heavy Stubbers, and Imothekh's 'Lord of the Storm' ability hits the "target unit" twice.
--- Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities --- Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users. --- 
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob





Denver, Colorado

Hrmm, that's interesting.

In all honesty, this will probably rarely occur, as said charging unit would have to have room (and sufficient charge roll to move past a screening unit) - but still, that could be a neat strategy.

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.". Words to live by, especially for ork players waiting for a new codex.  
   
Made in gb
Gargantuan Gargant





 Kap'n Krump wrote:
Hrmm, that's interesting.

In all honesty, this will probably rarely occur, as said charging unit would have to have room (and sufficient charge roll to move past a screening unit) - but still, that could be a neat strategy.
More likely it will allow you to multicharge both the screening unit and the unit is is screening, to be able to get both into combat.

Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written in the rulebook, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective.
Because some people get their knickers in a twist, I'll list these RaW 'oddities' in my sig. Sadly GW's promise of fixing their broken rules has itself been broken. RaW you cannot advance and then fire assault weapons, you can't shoot pistols if within 1" of an enemy, "minimum" ranges don't work, Seraphim have to re-roll saves that "fail" pre-re-roll, the game simply breaks if you ever have more than one wounded model in a unit, the game also breaks if a single rule ever tries to do multiple things simultaneously, Khârn punches himself in the face if he's not near some meatshields, Librarians on Bikes are locked to the Index power list, Howling Banshees can't declare a charge further than 12", Spore Mines have an infinite range, Shroudpsalm technically doesn't do anything, only enemy models, not friendly models, have permission to move on top of a Skyshield Landing Pad, T'au have access to stackable Ignore Wounds (albeit against Mortal Wounds only), and T'au Early Warning Override Support System only works if a unit is "teleporting to the battlefield", not just arriving mid-battle, Genestealer Cults can no longer move after ambushing, you can only ever use the Deathwatch Teleportarium Stratagem "once", and then never again in any battle after you use it, single use weapons MUST be fired the first time a model shoots if they are in range and LOS, if a model splits fire, each weapon must target a different unit, the Agents of Vect stratagem can be used by ANY Drukhari army, not just one with a Kabal of the Black Heart detachment, a Tyrant Guard with Lashwhip can absorb an infinite amount of damage via Shieldwall between the time they die and the time they fight, Chapter Tactics on Successor Chapters don't actually do anything, Codex Leman Russ's can take an infinite amount of Hunter-Killer Missiles, Storm Bolters and Heavy Stubbers, and Imothekh's 'Lord of the Storm' ability hits the "target unit" twice.
--- Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities --- Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users. --- 
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob





Denver, Colorado

Yup, charging both is a viable option. But for something huge like morty or mags, it might be more tricky to utilize something like this.

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.". Words to live by, especially for ork players waiting for a new codex.  
   
Made in us
Blood Angel Terminator with Lightning Claws





Huntsville, Texas

It worked out being a huge plus for my Blood Angels being able to charge over a unit/tank. They managaed to finish surrounding a pair of Land Raiders loaded to the gills with expensive characters and Terminators and make everything inside unable to deploy while I hit the tanks with Inferno Pistols.

With The Angels Wing relic, my Librarian can declare a multi-charge against everything within 12" with no Overwatch shots and just use the charge roll to set up great Overwatch free charges for my assault unit that get 3d6 for their charge range after deep striking in with jump packs.

Having fly really changes the game when it comes to melee, since you no longer need line of sight to the charge target.
   
Made in us
Sinewy Scourge




How does the charge roll set up overwatch free charges for your assault squads? I can see that it would stop one unit's overwatch if you successfully charge, as usual, but how would it stop more?
   
Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot





Drager wrote:
How does the charge roll set up overwatch free charges for your assault squads? I can see that it would stop one unit's overwatch if you successfully charge, as usual, but how would it stop more?

He's referring to the fact that the charger was out of LoS, thus cannot be a viable target of overwatch as overwatch follows all the rules for shootin except that a roll of 6 is required for a successful hit.
   
Made in us
Sinewy Scourge




 skchsan wrote:
Drager wrote:
How does the charge roll set up overwatch free charges for your assault squads? I can see that it would stop one unit's overwatch if you successfully charge, as usual, but how would it stop more?

He's referring to the fact that the charger was out of LoS, thus cannot be a viable target of overwatch as overwatch follows all the rules for shootin except that a roll of 6 is required for a successful hit.
If so why is he mentioning using the roll for the no overwatch relic to set up the charges? Surely they would work independent of the character.
   
Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot





Drager wrote:
 skchsan wrote:
Drager wrote:
How does the charge roll set up overwatch free charges for your assault squads? I can see that it would stop one unit's overwatch if you successfully charge, as usual, but how would it stop more?

He's referring to the fact that the charger was out of LoS, thus cannot be a viable target of overwatch as overwatch follows all the rules for shootin except that a roll of 6 is required for a successful hit.
If so why is he mentioning using the roll for the no overwatch relic to set up the charges? Surely they would work independent of the character.

Yeah you're right. Misread the post.

His statements would only be true if he was using 7th ed overwatch rules and playing non-matched play where you can use same stratagem more than once per turn.
   
 
Forum Index » 40K You Make Da Call
Go to: