Switch Theme:

Black Library 2018 News & Rumor thread  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
[MOD]
Et In Arcadia Ego





Canterbury

last thread :

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/3630/574053.page

April releases are listed :

https://www.blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/april

There's certainly some interesting stuff coming out.


Think I'm most looking forwards to

https://www.blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/march/carcharodons-outer-dark-ebook.html

least looking forwards too -- still -- failing to secure a physical copy of Sabbat Crusade which is still going for silly money on e-bay and the like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2315708.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xsabbat+crusade.TRS0&_nkw=sabbat+crusade&_sacat=0

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/03 13:40:58


The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn't; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all
We love our superheroes because they refuse to give up on us. We can analyze them out of existence, kill them, ban them, mock them, and still they return, patiently reminding us of who we are and what we wish we could be.
asked what advice he had for people who wanted to amass a huge fortune and replied that the trick was to have an ancestor who was best mates with William the Conqueror.
 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control





Looky Likey

I wish they would have carried on reissuing the Gaunts books as a three book hardback set as they did with the first three books. I'm guessing they didn't sell very well as the first set of three hung around for ages?

I have finally started the latest Gaunts book, Warmaster having taken an age to read the latest Fabius book. Spoilers on the Fabius book, which I really enjoyed apart from:
Spoiler:
It really annoyed me that they built up the Fulgrim clone and the prospect of a rebuilt, most likely loyalist, Emperor's Children, then used Trazyn as a maguffin at the last minute to dash it all. Still, rather brutal of Fabius


Oh, and there was even an interesting spoiler from Fabius on the missing legions:
Spoiler:
Fabius's original lab on Harmony had clones for ALL 20 primarchs, very interesting that Fabius could get genetic material for the missing Primarchs, big shame that was all was mentioned on them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/03 13:51:06


 
   
Made in gb
[MOD]
Et In Arcadia Ego





Canterbury

I liked warmaster but the first few ref's to things that, apparently, occur in some of the Sabbat Crusade short stories threw me a bit.


Fabius wise :

Spoiler:


I seem to recall that wwaayy back there was a fan theory that Trazyn had a primarch in his collection :

"A giant of a man clad in baroque power armour, his face contorted in a permanent scream".

One assume Trazyn would dress his collection appropriately, wonder if this is him/it ?




The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn't; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all
We love our superheroes because they refuse to give up on us. We can analyze them out of existence, kill them, ban them, mock them, and still they return, patiently reminding us of who we are and what we wish we could be.
asked what advice he had for people who wanted to amass a huge fortune and replied that the trick was to have an ancestor who was best mates with William the Conqueror.
 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control





Looky Likey

 reds8n wrote:
I liked warmaster but the first few ref's to things that, apparently, occur in some of the Sabbat Crusade short stories threw me a bit.


Fabius wise :

Spoiler:


I seem to recall that wwaayy back there was a fan theory that Trazyn had a primarch in his collection :

"A giant of a man clad in baroque power armour, his face contorted in a permanent scream".

One assume Trazyn would dress his collection appropriately, wonder if this is him/it ?



On that, it is briefly covered:
Spoiler:
Trazyn mentions that a couple of hundred years before meeting Fabius he nearly managed to add another Primarch to his collection, so Fulgrim might have been the one you mention, or number 2 in the collection? I thought it was either Vulkan or Dorn that Trazyn had?

Trazyn needs his own book covering this stuff as there are loads of lore nuggets, he has a whole mid battle scene made up of frozen UM and WB during the underground war on Calith, a Krork (the orginial orks) that has power armour better than Fabius's heavily improved SM power armour, and a ton of other stuff.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/03 14:14:55


 
   
Made in nl
[DCM]
Indomitable hell rider of glorious renown






102nd Expeditionary Fleet

This is my top pick of this year:



April can't come soon enough!

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





i finished First Lord of the Imperium. what a magnificent trollfest. i'm still not sure how i feel about it.
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut





Well huge change to 40k world. Surprised there's not been more fuss about it.

”Buddhism doesn't tell you what is false and what is true but it encourages you to find out for yourself.” ~ Chogyam Trungpa ~ 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





as someone whose not a big fan of audio dramas. can you spoil?

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut





BrianDavion wrote:
as someone whose not a big fan of audio dramas. can you spoil?


Spoiler:

Some were deliberate lies to comfort dying but some big ones:

-Emperor was not Emperor until he met Malcador that was born some 6000 years or so ago(he remembers his own birth by the second).
-Heresy was basically deliberate action by Emperor. He never intended marines to stay long so much like thunder warriors they were meant to go. They were meant to exterminate each other once they had served their function of taking humans(not post-humans) to the stars so basically Emperor was making damn sure there WOULD be civil war. Chaos accelerated things though a bit.
-Malcador also noted things are still going as planned(this I suspect is the lie)




Some other stuff but those were the big ones.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/04 07:37:03


”Buddhism doesn't tell you what is false and what is true but it encourages you to find out for yourself.” ~ Chogyam Trungpa ~ 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





Spoiler:
6000 years ago would conflict with Master of Mankind... so SOMEONE is lying. the heresy being deliberate makes sense too.


Sounds to me like GW is deliebratly trying to add some confusion and mystery to the story of the emperor. a good decision. It's better when we don't know.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/04 07:43:49


Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in fi
Longtime Dakkanaut





BrianDavion wrote:
Spoiler:
6000 years ago would conflict with Master of Mankind... so SOMEONE is lying. the heresy being deliberate makes sense too.


Sounds to me like GW is deliebratly trying to add some confusion and mystery to the story of the emperor. a good decision. It's better when we don't know.


Spoiler:

Memory fails me. Did they refer to Malcador's age in Master of Mankind? 6000 years ago was here birth of Malcador, not when to-be-Emperor and Malcador met.


”Buddhism doesn't tell you what is false and what is true but it encourages you to find out for yourself.” ~ Chogyam Trungpa ~ 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





tneva82 wrote:
BrianDavion wrote:
Spoiler:
6000 years ago would conflict with Master of Mankind... so SOMEONE is lying. the heresy being deliberate makes sense too.


Sounds to me like GW is deliebratly trying to add some confusion and mystery to the story of the emperor. a good decision. It's better when we don't know.


Spoiler:

Memory fails me. Did they refer to Malcador's age in Master of Mankind? 6000 years ago was here birth of Malcador, not when to-be-Emperor and Malcador met.



Spoiler:

No but if the emperor wasn't the emperor before then... what was he? an ordinary man?

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control





Looky Likey

BrianDavion wrote:

Spoiler:

No but if the emperor wasn't the emperor before then... what was he? an ordinary man?


He was:
Spoiler:
Just the best of the Warlords according to Malcador, I suspect this is a lie. We know from PoV scenes of the Emperor that he was much much more than this.

I suspect the biggest thing that didn't go to plan was Magnus destroying the wards around the Palace and scuppering the web way as the web way should have followed the Great Crusade/Heresy.


There is some discussion on this audio book in the previous thread thats worth reading if you want spoilers.
   
Made in gb
Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries



England

Honestly I know they kind of have to brush on the emperor given the topic, but with some of the recent work they've put out I almost wish they would just go back to leaving it for fans to just mull over with little information one way or another.
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Ignoring Nikaea since 001.M31






Svalarheima, MA

While I was initially quite excited by the Horus Heresy, a lot of these 'big reveals' are...less than satisfactory.

Some might make a bit of sense, maybe, but it almost does feel like a bit of a troll job at times.

Nil nos tremefacit.
 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control





Looky Likey

I am sure that no matter what ideas they went with it would be impossible to please everybody as so much has been ill defined and fans allowed to fill in the gaps (as with all great universes), best case is that they please as many people as possible. I'd be interested in a detailed survey on people's opinions on the reveals once the series is wrapped up to see if they managed that.

My personal peeve with the series is that you get internal monologues for the Primarchs, which might seem weird as I mostly love the Primarch series, but I think that the Primarchs thought processes should be so alien that they'd make no sense to even a trans human. Instead we often end up with the monologue of a petulant teenager.
   
Made in nl
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 Looky Likey wrote:
I am sure that no matter what ideas they went with it would be impossible to please everybody as so much has been ill defined and fans allowed to fill in the gaps (as with all great universes), best case is that they please as many people as possible. I'd be interested in a detailed survey on people's opinions on the reveals once the series is wrapped up to see if they managed that.

My personal peeve with the series is that you get internal monologues for the Primarchs, which might seem weird as I mostly love the Primarch series, but I think that the Primarchs thought processes should be so alien that they'd make no sense to even a trans human. Instead we often end up with the monologue of a petulant teenager.


Well, that kinda matches their actions - most of what the Primarchs do over the course of the Crusade and Heresy doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you place it in the context of a bunch of squabbling, petty, status-obsessed siblings vying for the affections of a distant father figure and becoming stroppy & rebellious when they don't get them.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in ie
Dominating Dominatrix






Dublin, Ireland

Please God just let them reach Terra. Scary to think HR was written in 2006. Im all for fleshing out a fairly epic story but BL have been milking this for years now.
Granted the argument went that when FW began releasing their HH book series, BL were likely instructed to keep pace (i.e. not out pace) but with FWs work on the HH having gone tits up, its time for BL to bite the bullet.....

Dman137 wrote:
goobs is all you guys will ever be

By 1-irt: Still as long as Hissy keeps showing up this is one of the most entertaining threads ever.

"Feelin' goods, good enough". 
   
Made in gb
Androgynous Daemon Prince of Slaanesh





Devon, UK

Might be something or nothing, I had my MMPB pre order of Corax cancelled by Amazon yesterday.

The only other time I recall this happening was when Dan Abnett got ill and Prospero Burns got delayed, but as I believe Corax has already been published, that can't apply here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/04 20:31:45


We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank Howard Clark

The wise man doubts often, and changes his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubts not; he knows all things but his own ignorance.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!” Professor Brian Cox

Ask me about
Barnstaple Slayers Club 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control





Looky Likey

 Yodhrin wrote:
Well, that kinda matches their actions - most of what the Primarchs do over the course of the Crusade and Heresy doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you place it in the context of a bunch of squabbling, petty, status-obsessed siblings vying for the affections of a distant father figure and becoming stroppy & rebellious when they don't get them.
They didn't have to be like that though, BL had the choice to remove that element from the story and make them more sensible. Any time a demi god who is meant to be operating on level beyond human ability makes a decision even I, king of bad decisions, thinks is stupid, then something has gone wrong.
   
Made in gb
Bloodthirsty Vampire Thrall





UK

 Looky Likey wrote:
 Yodhrin wrote:
Well, that kinda matches their actions - most of what the Primarchs do over the course of the Crusade and Heresy doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you place it in the context of a bunch of squabbling, petty, status-obsessed siblings vying for the affections of a distant father figure and becoming stroppy & rebellious when they don't get them.
They didn't have to be like that though, BL had the choice to remove that element from the story and make them more sensible. Any time a demi god who is meant to be operating on level beyond human ability makes a decision even I, king of bad decisions, thinks is stupid, then something has gone wrong.


It does however match the behaviour of most divine or semi divine entities in Mythology - the only thing missing is the love affairs with each other and mortals.

I do think it can go too far in some depictions but most of them seem to be severely damaged - especially emotionally.

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control





Looky Likey

 Mr Morden wrote:
It does however match the behaviour of most divine or semi divine entities in Mythology - the only thing missing is the love affairs with each other and mortals.

I do think it can go too far in some depictions but most of them seem to be severely damaged - especially emotionally.
But those are creatures of their emotions, mostly lust I've always held the belief that the Emperor made the Primarchs to be above simple pleasure seeking, I can't remember if we ever had conclusive proof if they were capable of a physical relationship or like Ken dolls (before the Heresy, afterwards I dread to think what Fulgrim got up to once he turned). Obviously Angron is a creature of rage, but that was his Chaos souped up butcher's nails exacerbating the issue.
   
Made in nl
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM




We'll find out soon enough eh.

Whatever the Emperor intended them to be, he used the power of the Four in their creation and there's no way that didn't warp them to some degree, even the ones that stayed loyal in the end.

And they could have changed things, sure, but given the things they have chosen to change and how they chose to change them, I'd prefer they keep that sort of thing to a minimum - the Heresy was always a Greek tragedy writ large.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in es
Ancient Venerable Dark Angels Dreadnought




Vigo. Spain.

We only need the Emperor to become golden rain to laid down with Malcador and give birth to Horus. Then we can call the Horus Heresy a proper Greek Mythology background.

 Crimson Devil wrote:

Dakka does have White Knights and is also rather infamous for it's Black Knights. A new edition brings out the passionate and not all of them are good at expressing themselves in written form. There have been plenty of hysterical responses from both sides so far. So we descend into pointless bickering with neither side listening to each other. So posting here becomes more masturbation than conversation.

ERJAK wrote:
Forcing a 40k player to keep playing 7th is basically a hate crime.

 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Ignoring Nikaea since 001.M31






Svalarheima, MA

Yeah, let's not, OK?

Nil nos tremefacit.
 
   
Made in gb
Ultramarine Land Raider Pilot on Cruise Control





Looky Likey

Black Library are after new blood for a anthology they are planning for their 20th anniversary: https://www.warhammer-community.com/writeforblacklibrary/

I hope this one is a bit more open to people outside of GW HQ than some in the past.

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Haha, fingers crossed for Shinros winning, a death themed story is right up his alley.

I might submit something too, my years of fanboying over Dark Souls, Medievil, Ghosts and Goblins, Maximo might finally pay off.
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

We want diverse narratives that fit into at least one of the following themes:

Heist
Detective/Police Procedural
Adventure
Mystery
Ghost/Paranormal/Horror
War


Can’t wait to read CSI: Terra!
   
Made in gb
Slaanesh Chosen Marine Riding a Fiend






 Looky Likey wrote:
Black Library are after new blood for a anthology they are planning for their 20th anniversary: https://www.warhammer-community.com/writeforblacklibrary/

I hope this one is a bit more open to people outside of GW HQ than some in the past.



Yup I am going for it, hope I get it. I already picked out an extract now to make all my mates read and criticise it!
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Huzzah! Good luck.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/11 03:12:05


 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: