Switch Theme:

Will Bretonnia ever return??  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Not played for years but recently been hammering total war Warhammer 2 and 1. It has really piqued my interest in Warhammer again but my favourite faction is bretonnia and I see they are no longer supported by gw.

Any chance that they will return??
   
Made in de
Terrifying Rhinox Rider






None.

They will get warscrolls for AoS Legacy, but those will likely not be for Matched Play.
Maybe some of the line will get a limited Cast-on-demand to go with this.

 
   
Made in fr
Longtime Dakkanaut




It seems very unlikely they'll ever come back in a form that resembles what they used to be.
AoS is clearly moving away from typical high fantasy, where humans, dwarves, or elves have the usual Tolkien look and feel. Bretonnians are very much "normal humans in a typical fantasy setting", which has no place on an AoS battlefield.
   
Made in gb
Possessed Khorne Marine Covered in Spikes





Harlow

Yeah I echo what the others have said. AoS seems to be moving more and more away from the typical fantasy setting.

Age of Sigmar - Tzeentch - 5,020.
Horus Heresy - World Eaters - 6,539.
Guildball - Falconers, Farmers, Hunters & Union.  
   
Made in us
Infiltrating Naga





Huntsville, Texas

Shoot, the new(er) Dwarves seen more sci-fi than fantasy at this point.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka





West Michigan, deep in Whitebread, USA

Yeah, we'll be lucky if we even get 'normal' dwarves or elves back in AoS, much less humans. Especially ones that can be so easily proxied with other companies' ranges.



"By this point I'm convinced 100% that every single race in the 40k universe have somehow tapped into the ork ability to just have their tech work because they think it should."  
   
Made in no
Dakka Veteran






nope.
AoS is all about dream fantasy forces, not realistic middle age fantasy forces.

darkswordminiatures.com
Collects: 40K;Cult Mechanicus. AoS;NightHaunts. GF9;Tanks. Flames of War. Wings of Glory. Warmachine. SW Armada. 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Depressing, I may just dig out my death wing and play 40k again then
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

 Hanskrampf wrote:
None.

They will get warscrolls for AoS Legacy, but those will likely not be for Matched Play.
Maybe some of the line will get a limited Cast-on-demand to go with this.

Warhammer: Legends. They've not commented with regards to Matched Play or not, but I would actually expect to see stuff for Matched Play since you can get Warscrolls for this stuff via the app otherwise.

Scratch that:
Warhammer Community wrote:Warhammer Legends will be the new home of rules for classic and fan-favourite miniatures. While not intended for matched play, they’ll still be great for anyone looking to forge epic narratives or who wants to see how the heroes of yesteryear fare against the newer champions from the Age of Sigmar.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/03/28 13:15:31


 
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos




What a shame all the fan comp systems with points were nuked from orbit huh.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Haha, too true, Auticus.

For our part, i'm part of a small community working on a fan made battletome for glorious Bretonnia to be brought into the majestic mortal realms.

Here's some samples of rules and fluff we showed a few months ago at TGA.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NLkIJ1DqqgEziTu6AkN9-ZO5wWkGYZvR

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yKtIYnsdblGQljub-Eouwguc8akOFmSJ

As for GW returning Bretonnia?

Well, on the one hand they love making shout-outs in the lore. There's multiple places with a Bretonnia feel like the Three Duchies and the Volpone kingdom that lost 3,000 knights to overwhelming chaos forces (which were thrown in their sacred river) in the background fluff, the flesh-eater court's delusions are dead ringers for Bretonnians, there's multiple knightly orders in the life realm with Alarielle acting as the Lady to them with the Order of Breton being a obvious expy and the Order of the Furrow having a demigryphs knight who is a Bretonnian expy and even got his own short story after taking part in spear of Shadows.

So yeah, lots of examples there.

The best bet would be when the Freeguild is expanded upon they'll likely run with the Order of the Furrow and make a life realm knightly force composed of Demigryphs and archers that harkens back to the more high fantasy days of 5th edition Bretonnia. If we're really lucky they'll get the Ironjawz treatment and be a small elite force of a few new knights mounted on fantastical beasts with demigryphs and archers intergrated into it.

Another route is to make Stormcast squires that are humans wanting to become such noble figures as knight-questors and errants.

Then you'd have devoted paladin humans in heavy armor and riding demi-hippogryphs that can even be from different realms to give them a unique flavor like fire squires with runic weapons or life squires more devoted to Alarielle than the god-king and benefit from natural blessings.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




As mentioned above no. They have basically be rolled into the lore of Flesh Eater courts. Tons of stuff in the book all but say that's where flesh eaters came from.
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

Nearest is as stated the Flesh-Eater Courts, various Knightly orders in the Realms - especially the Order of the Fly .

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos




www.louisvillewargaming.com/Files/DeusVult.pdf

Thats the bretonnian piece I had written for our campaigns that was doing pretty well on the TGA site before my account got binned for being critical of AOS. Its been used in several events and been updated a bit to help balance it out. If you find it handy feel free to steal bits as you need.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/03/29 13:53:00


 
   
Made in us
Grovelin' Grot




Washington, D.C.

fresus wrote:
It seems very unlikely they'll ever come back in a form that resembles what they used to be.
AoS is clearly moving away from typical high fantasy, where humans, dwarves, or elves have the usual Tolkien look and feel. Bretonnians are very much "normal humans in a typical fantasy setting", which has no place on an AoS battlefield.


Can anyone direct me to info/rumors/other threads regarding FreeGuild expansions or "normal humans in a fantasy setting" releases coming to AoS? ... Or does such information (sadly) not exist? Has there been news about "normal humans" coming in the future? I also have Bretonnians. collecting dust and would love to know if there will ever be a chance to field NEW "armies of peasants" or new "puny regular humans" against the universe's unspeakable horrors.

750 WAAAGH Whazgog
750 33rd Agatheon Regiment

"HOW THE F&@% WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW; ILLEGAL OFFWORLD DEATH TOURNAMENTS WERE ILLEGAL?!?!"

"I HAVE ONE QUESTION AND ONE QUESTION ONLY TO ASK YOU: EXPLOOOOOSIONSSS?!?!" 
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos




There is no news on normal humans right now. They appear in some of the fiction and malign portents stories. But nothing game play wise.
   
Made in us
Neophyte Undergoing Surgeries




Boca Raton Fl

Rogerio134134 wrote:
Not played for years but recently been hammering total war Warhammer 2 and 1. It has really piqued my interest in Warhammer again but my favourite faction is bretonnia and I see they are no longer supported by gw.

Any chance that they will return??


Do you have the Bretonnian models or are you starting from scratch? If you still have the old stuff you might be better off trying to play 8th edition or other oldhammer editions. Or 9th age for that matter. I hope the bring back Bretonnian models for that Authurian look. You would have to convert and customize a force in AoS to be Bretonnian-esque.

"The world's best swordsman doesn't fear the second best; he fears the worst swordsman, because he can't predict what the idiot will do."-Admiral Honor Harrington (David Weber's take on Twain's original quote) 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Or just proxy your Bret models as Freeguild. If your regular cavalry heavy then use Order Draconis instead and go aelf.

 auticus wrote:
There is no news on normal humans right now. They appear in some of the fiction and malign portents stories. But nothing game play wise.


Indeed, someone mentioned a big update but it was likely a rumor made from wishful thinking.

What IS a good sign is that GW did say it'd be focusing on a free people based on their realms. so going by the lore that should mean Azyrheim orderly troops with connections to the Old World looks and heraldry, life realm gallant knightly orders, fire realm city forces with potentially oriental style troops from the Steppe Khanate, beast and metal realm hunter tribes, death realm mercenaries(from how villages will hire such people to dispose of tyrannical overlords) and hopefully a resurgent Lantic Empire army.

str00dles1 wrote:
As mentioned above no. They have basically be rolled into the lore of Flesh Eater courts. Tons of stuff in the book all but say that's where flesh eaters came from.


Well those aren't Bretonnians. They're very Like Bretonnians but the courts originated from the remnants of the Lantic Empire holdings in the realm of death and nearby kingdoms which usually have a Bretonnian-like feel to them.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






If you have a Brettonnian army, the warscrolls are in the Age of Sigmar app or here: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/WSC-BRT-ENG
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Indeed, their points are also listed in the warscroll builder on the community site as well.

Another note is that the recent compendium gave some nerfs to the Bretonnians (but a few nice things as well like characters becoming lords who can be customized).

There's a place on the TGA forum where someone downloaded the original compendiums that made Bretonnia easily mid tier and TK top tier.

   
Made in us
Dipping With Wood Stain





San Francisco, CA

If you're wanting them (I sure am, or any "normal" sized human figures), drop GW customer service a line. If they hear enough noise, they'll make them. And if they're already planning them, maybe they'll get bumped up in the queue.

I've emailed GW a few times asking them to make more humans and humanoids in a scale more representative of their older line. I'm optimistic they might, as the Sepulchral Guard from Shadespire are exactly the size I'm looking for. I just want figures with skin on the bones.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/03/29 20:29:15


I play...

Sigh.

Who am I kidding? I only paint these days... 
   
Made in us
Grovelin' Grot




Washington, D.C.

Baron Klatz wrote:
potentially oriental style troops from the Steppe Khanate


That would be awesome. I would throw so much money at GW for an army with steppe style models

750 WAAAGH Whazgog
750 33rd Agatheon Regiment

"HOW THE F&@% WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW; ILLEGAL OFFWORLD DEATH TOURNAMENTS WERE ILLEGAL?!?!"

"I HAVE ONE QUESTION AND ONE QUESTION ONLY TO ASK YOU: EXPLOOOOOSIONSSS?!?!" 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Indeed, just as a bare minimum army going by what's shown in the books you'd have swordsmen, crossbowmen, fire monks(I'd imagine a mix of Devoted and fire wizards) and sky titans as a centerpiece force. From there it'd be easy to add some flashy cavalry beasts that are pumped up demigryphs and outriders.

That's how I hope they bring about the updated human army line. Lots of models inspired by the lore but actually only a few "new" units with the rest just mostly using what's in the Free guild/Devoted/Ironweld/ collegiate already just with a make-over.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/03/29 22:06:24


 
   
Made in fr
Longtime Dakkanaut




 Whazgog Da Despot wrote:
fresus wrote:
It seems very unlikely they'll ever come back in a form that resembles what they used to be.
AoS is clearly moving away from typical high fantasy, where humans, dwarves, or elves have the usual Tolkien look and feel. Bretonnians are very much "normal humans in a typical fantasy setting", which has no place on an AoS battlefield.


Can anyone direct me to info/rumors/other threads regarding FreeGuild expansions or "normal humans in a fantasy setting" releases coming to AoS? ... Or does such information (sadly) not exist? Has there been news about "normal humans" coming in the future? I also have Bretonnians. collecting dust and would love to know if there will ever be a chance to field NEW "armies of peasants" or new "puny regular humans" against the universe's unspeakable horrors.

Yes there are normal humans in the setting, and as pointed by previous posters, there are multiple examples in the Malign Portent stories.
A militia/army of peasants could make sense lore-wise, but it would be vastly different from what GW is currently putting out for AoS.
Peasants who create a small army, start winning a few battles, attract the attention of a god, make a contract with it, and obtain new power to continue their quest, with models that end up not looking like normal humans anymore (because of the god's gifts)? That's something I could see happening. But a horde of pitchfork wielding guys, supported by some archers, a couple warmachines and some cavalry? I really don't think so.
   
Made in us
Auspicious Aspiring Champion of Chaos






I like the idea of different human forces for each mortal realm. Hopefully, they wouldn't all be Order-aligned, either. I could definitely see Nagash worshipers from Shyish being in the Death allegiance or druidic "wild" men from Ghur for Destruction.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/03/30 13:53:57


2750 Unliving Legion of the Zarith Dynasty
840 Imperial Knights of House Janis
2000 Khorne Bloodbound of the Skullfiend Tribe (Aqshy)
2000 Tzeentch Arcanites of the Cult of Searing Light (Hysh)
3000 Slaves to Darkness of the Legion of Rusted Chains (Allpoints/Azyr)
2500 Sylvaneth of the Seelie Court (Ghyran)
 
   
Made in za
Gore Spattered Punk Zombie





South Africa

The short answer is no.
The long answer is that all of the old factions are fading away or being rolled into something new, so a discontinued faction returning is not happening. GW had and is making something new (which the "new" setting enabled) if you want to play Warhammer you'll need a new thing too.

Mantic brought out a book to accommodate the armies GW left in the forest within Kings of War though.
Uncharted Empires has "The Brotherhood" which uses knights, peasants and pegasi.

 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

 DarkBlack wrote:
The short answer is no.
The long answer is that all of the old factions are fading away or being rolled into something new, so a discontinued faction returning is not happening. GW had and is making something new (which the "new" setting enabled) if you want to play Warhammer you'll need a new thing too.

Other way around. "Old factions are being turned into something new" as we just saw with the Daughters of Khaine.
   
Made in us
Grovelin' Grot




Washington, D.C.

fresus wrote:
Peasants who create a small army, start winning a few battles, attract the attention of a god, make a contract with it, and obtain new power to continue their quest, with models that end up not looking like normal humans anymore (because of the god's gifts)? That's something I could see happening. But a horde of pitchfork wielding guys, supported by some archers, a couple warmachines and some cavalry? I really don't think so.


The sad thing is, I have little to no interest in owning an army of demi-god humanoids. I don't find that compelling or engaging. Such sentiments are in the minority compared to the overall player base (see: sales figures for SM + CSM) so prob. no chance for my proud peasants

750 WAAAGH Whazgog
750 33rd Agatheon Regiment

"HOW THE F&@% WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW; ILLEGAL OFFWORLD DEATH TOURNAMENTS WERE ILLEGAL?!?!"

"I HAVE ONE QUESTION AND ONE QUESTION ONLY TO ASK YOU: EXPLOOOOOSIONSSS?!?!" 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Well technically the Flesh-eater ghouls are all just starving peasants and they get along fine with combating god-made soldiers and steampunk dwarves.

So I wouldn't discount them completely. Likely though I'd expect peasants becoming fanatics and joining the Devoted in their masses.

GW had and is making something new (which the "new" setting enabled) if you want to play Warhammer you'll need a new thing too. 


Well not entirely true, you can use the older stuff with the compendiums and the warscroll builder.

It's just if you're into competitive scenes you'll likely be proxying for a stronger army like a new one or the updated old ones in the GHB.

 EnTyme wrote:
I like the idea of different human forces for each mortal realm. Hopefully, they wouldn't all be Order-aligned, either. I could definitely see Nagash worshipers from Shyish being in the Death allegiance or druidic "wild" men from Ghur for Destruction.


Same!
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





Just reading this thread and going through the fluff etc has put me off AOs pretty quickly. I think I'll just grab some models off eBay and paint them up for fun. Quite expensive though!
   
 
Forum Index » AoS General Discussion & Background
Go to: