Switch Theme:

Do we have a confirmed date for the next FAQ/Chapter Approved?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Been Around the Block




Other than the first published "two per year" plan GW described at the beginning of 8th, have we heard anything about when the next update will be? Will it include rules changes? Points adjustments? Balancing? Do we even know what quarter or month it will fall in?
   
Made in gb
Gargantuan Gargant





Riggs wrote:
Other than the first published "two per year" plan GW described at the beginning of 8th, have we heard anything about when the next update will be? Will it include rules changes? Points adjustments? Balancing? Do we even know what quarter or month it will fall in?
No, we don't. Even if GW gives a date, they can't even meet the deadlines they set for themselves. Remember, it was supposed to be a March FAQ.

TBH GWs approach to all this literally Victorian Era. You can't use the excuse of "Not everyone has Internet" because anyone who can afford Warhammer has internet access of SOME sort. FAQ update every two months with the issues people bring up (hint, start with my sig), points updates every 6 months, don't take the piss by charging for points changes in Chapter Approved, add new rulesets, missions and other content instead.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2018/07/09 15:32:24


Disclaimer: My YMDC answers are from a "What the rules, as written in the rulebook, actually say" perspective, not a "What I wish the rules said" perspective.
Because some people get their knickers in a twist, I'll list these RaW 'oddities' in my sig. Sadly GW's promise of fixing their broken rules has itself been broken. RaW you cannot advance and then fire assault weapons, you can't shoot pistols if within 1" of an enemy, "minimum" ranges don't work, Seraphim have to re-roll saves that "fail" pre-re-roll, the game simply breaks if you ever have more than one wounded model in a unit, the game also breaks if a single rule ever tries to do multiple things simultaneously, Khârn punches himself in the face if he's not near some meatshields, Librarians on Bikes are locked to the Index power list, Howling Banshees can't declare a charge further than 12", Spore Mines have an infinite range, Shroudpsalm technically doesn't do anything, only enemy models, not friendly models, have permission to move on top of a Skyshield Landing Pad, T'au have access to stackable Ignore Wounds (albeit against Mortal Wounds only), and T'au Early Warning Override Support System only works if a unit is "teleporting to the battlefield", not just arriving mid-battle, Genestealer Cults can no longer move after ambushing, you can only ever use the Deathwatch Teleportarium Stratagem "once", and then never again in any battle after you use it, single use weapons MUST be fired the first time a model shoots if they are in range and LOS, if a model splits fire, each weapon must target a different unit, the Agents of Vect stratagem can be used by ANY Drukhari army, not just one with a Kabal of the Black Heart detachment, a Tyrant Guard with Lashwhip can absorb an infinite amount of damage via Shieldwall between the time they die and the time they fight, Chapter Tactics on Successor Chapters don't actually do anything, Codex Leman Russ's can take an infinite amount of Hunter-Killer Missiles, Storm Bolters and Heavy Stubbers, and Imothekh's 'Lord of the Storm' ability hits the "target unit" twice.
--- Mathhammer tables for 2D6 and 3D6 Charging with various re-roll abilities --- Stylus CSS theme for DakkaDakka forums to hide black avatar background and fully hide ignored users. --- 
   
Made in us
Major General






Florence, KY

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/15/the-future-of-faqs-and-chapter-approved-dec-15gw-homepage-post-2/

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Ghaz wrote:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/15/the-future-of-faqs-and-chapter-approved-dec-15gw-homepage-post-2/


This is the only thing you need to read instead of watching someone beat a dead horse. The last FAQ had point changes, new rules, and datasheet changes so expect anything, really. If you're looking for a lot of Grey Knight changes it seems they plan to do those in CA this December.

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





TN/AL/MS state line.

When did the last Chaoter Approved drop?

Black Bases and Grey Plastic Forever:My quaint little hobby blog.

40k- The Kumunga Swarm (more)
Count Mortimer’s Private Security Force/Excavation Team (building)
Kabal of the Grieving Widow (less)

Plus other games- miniature and cardboard both. 
   
Made in pl
Regular Dakkanaut




 Daedalus81 wrote:
 Ghaz wrote:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/15/the-future-of-faqs-and-chapter-approved-dec-15gw-homepage-post-2/


This is the only thing you need to read instead of watching someone beat a dead horse. The last FAQ had point changes, new rules, and datasheet changes so expect anything, really. If you're looking for a lot of Grey Knight changes it seems they plan to do those in CA this December.

December are they insane? that is 5 more months.
   
Made in us
Liberated Grot Land Raida




Karol wrote:
 Daedalus81 wrote:
 Ghaz wrote:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/15/the-future-of-faqs-and-chapter-approved-dec-15gw-homepage-post-2/


This is the only thing you need to read instead of watching someone beat a dead horse. The last FAQ had point changes, new rules, and datasheet changes so expect anything, really. If you're looking for a lot of Grey Knight changes it seems they plan to do those in CA this December.

December are they insane? that is 5 more months.


*sits around waiting in Ork*
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





TN/AL/MS state line.

the_scotsman wrote:
Karol wrote:
 Daedalus81 wrote:
 Ghaz wrote:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/15/the-future-of-faqs-and-chapter-approved-dec-15gw-homepage-post-2/


This is the only thing you need to read instead of watching someone beat a dead horse. The last FAQ had point changes, new rules, and datasheet changes so expect anything, really. If you're looking for a lot of Grey Knight changes it seems they plan to do those in CA this December.

December are they insane? that is 5 more months.


*sits around waiting in Ork*

Aren’t SoB waiting around until “sometime” in 2019?

Black Bases and Grey Plastic Forever:My quaint little hobby blog.

40k- The Kumunga Swarm (more)
Count Mortimer’s Private Security Force/Excavation Team (building)
Kabal of the Grieving Widow (less)

Plus other games- miniature and cardboard both. 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





Karol wrote:

December are they insane? that is 5 more months.


Which isn't all that long in the grand scheme of things (when you had to wait 4+ years for a new codex) and here's why you should be happy about that -- Chapter Approved gives them enough space to do a proper redesign.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/07/09 16:58:56


   
Made in ie
Calm Celestian





 Daedalus81 wrote:
Karol wrote:

December are they insane? that is 5 more months.


Which isn't all that long in the grand scheme of things (when you had to wait 4+ years for a new codex) and here's why you should be happy about that -- Chapter Approved gives them enough space to do a proper redesign.


There's a consistent problem with people having a skewed perception of how long the edition has been around because GW have massivly accelerated their release schedule to update the armies to 8th compared to previous editions.

   
Made in gb
Rookie Pilot





I hope it's soon. I really love adding extra £20 books to my collection just to unlock the privilege of playing a game...
It's like a kickstarter.
   
Made in de
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





You could set the old CA on fire so safe some money on heating.

Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in vn
Growlin' Guntrukk Driver with Killacannon





My prediction is that Orks and Space Wolves will oem out first and then get a huge update in a September or October FAQ. They were clearly written before the Big FAQ last year (as we say with Knights) so might need a bit of a work around with any new rules that come in.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
ValentineGames wrote:
I hope it's soon. I really love adding extra £20 books to my collection just to unlock the privilege of playing a game...
It's like a kickstarter.


I feel you. I'm still adamant that we should not have to pay for rule changes... I know people say there are work arounds if you don't want to buy them but GW is a mukti million £€$ company, we shouldn't be forced to go out of our way to find alternative ways to get these rules juat to play at a GW store (where many players are restricted to). I honestly wouldn't mind GW selling a book full of new missions etc... but rule changes and points changes should be free online in this day and age... especially after last CA where some people only had a single page (basically what we in the gaming world would call a patch notes page) of useful information realting to their faction in the entire book but needed that page to continue playing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/07/11 07:08:24


 
   
Made in pl
Regular Dakkanaut




 Daedalus81 wrote:
Karol wrote:

December are they insane? that is 5 more months.


Which isn't all that long in the grand scheme of things (when you had to wait 4+ years for a new codex) and here's why you should be happy about that -- Chapter Approved gives them enough space to do a proper redesign.

I haven't played 4 years ago. Plus as I said before GK were bad before the last Chapter Approved too, and they weren't fixed then too, and with zero information from GW what they want to do, we can't be sure what they plan for GK now, they may as well not be planning any fixs.

Imagine Toyota bringing up a car that has an engine that blows up after 200km. Their stock would drop hard, even if they said they will fix it next day. Yet somehow with GW, making bad books, or giving no insight on what they plan, has no effect.
   
Made in il
Tzeentch Doomlord Pilot






Let's put a stop to this GK "when is my update" cries.

Not every army even HAS a codex yet. You are not getting a godamn rework before everyone is getting the first run.
FAQ will not give a rework, it's meant only to fix flawed rules. Poor=/=flawed, faq only addresses things that liturally don't function.
CA will not give you a rework, it's meant for tweaks and adding non army content like missions, settings, etc. Not army reworks. At most CA will give you point tweaks.

Gk will get an big update when and only when the second cycle begin, and they WON'T be the first, nor second, at that cycle. It will be a year from now, at the earliest. Probably two.

can neither confirm nor deny I lost track of what I've got right now. 
   
Made in pl
Regular Dakkanaut




And why can't they do it. It would take a guy 10 min to write an points cost or rules errata on put it on their site. Maybe 2-3 hours if the wanted to add some fancy art on the sides?
   
Made in gb
Aspirant Tech-Adept




United Kingdom

Karol wrote:
And why can't they do it. It would take a guy 10 min to write an points cost or rules errata on put it on their site. Maybe 2-3 hours if the wanted to add some fancy art on the sides?

Because it also needs to be playtested (don't laugh!) and internally approved, and if people are doing that they're not working on new things that'll make GW money...
   
Made in pl
Regular Dakkanaut




Ah ok, I guess, is there something like a list of GW playtesters or at least a list of guys who did GK for this edition.
   
Made in de
Big Mek in Kustom Dragster with Soopa-Gun





They stopped publishing such information after Matt Ward got a bunch of death threats.

Drager wrote:
I'd heard there would be a clatter, then perhaps a hiss, but that's not what it's like. We'd all been told that these things lurked in vents and crevices, that they could sneak up on a man no matter how alert, but that just wasn't what happened. We saw them coming, well, we heard them first, an ear-splitting boom as they accelerated across the plain. They must have been 2 miles away when we heard the crack, but we barely had time to lift our weapons before they were on us and then... past us. Running faster than I could follow. They didn't attack, didn't even try and it was then, as the whole platoon stared after them that a dread crept through me and I turned to see that which they had been running from.

-Infantryman Collins, 5th Umbra Rifles
 
   
Made in gb
Aspirant Tech-Adept




United Kingdom

Karol wrote:
Ah ok, I guess, is there something like a list of GW playtesters or at least a list of guys who did GK for this edition.

All the Codex says "With thanks to the Mornival for their additional playtesting services". GW stopped naming individuals when Matt Ward got death threats.
   
Made in jp
Fixture of Dakka





beast_gts wrote:
Karol wrote:
And why can't they do it. It would take a guy 10 min to write an points cost or rules errata on put it on their site. Maybe 2-3 hours if the wanted to add some fancy art on the sides?

Because it also needs to be playtested (don't laugh!) and internally approved, and if people are doing that they're not working on new things that'll make GW money...


Ah the sweet naivety of gw game beginners

“Nothing has a definite nature, so people cannot be purely evil. Even so-called evil people will aspire to follow a moral path when they feel a sense of community.” – Kukai

8100 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights
 
   
Made in kr
Veteran Inquisitorial Tyranid Xenokiller






your mind

tneva82 wrote:
beast_gts wrote:
Karol wrote:
And why can't they do it. It would take a guy 10 min to write an points cost or rules errata on put it on their site. Maybe 2-3 hours if the wanted to add some fancy art on the sides?

Because it also needs to be playtested (don't laugh!) and internally approved, and if people are doing that they're not working on new things that'll make GW money...


Ah the sweet naivety of gw game beginners


What game?
OOOOOh...
yeah.
You must mean the intellectual property involving the use of GWs famous models to actually play a "game" or something much like a game, anyways, but which is more exactly an active book discussion club...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/07/12 12:55:41


   
Made in us
Nurgle Veteran Marine with the Flu





cedar rapids, iowa

Karol wrote:

I haven't played 4 years ago.


Why are you on a board for 40k talking about an army you haven't played in 4 years? Just sit quiet at the keyboard unless you have something to add to the discussion.

Those of you complaining about the last one being late, just stop. Would you prefer Warmachine where they literally killed the game with a unreviewed mess?

It is a breath of fresh air to finally have a ruleset that makes sense, plays easily, and gets updated FOUR times a year. That is insane, no one else does that, and no one else has done it this well. GW is literally crushing the market right now and someone of you just complain just to complain....

 
   
Made in gb
Rookie Pilot





 sfshilo wrote:

It is a breath of fresh air to finally have a ruleset that makes sense, plays easily, and gets updated FOUR times a year.

Plenty of them exist.
GW just charge you an extra £20 for those updates in the 40k kickstarter.
   
Made in pl
Regular Dakkanaut




 sfshilo wrote:
Karol wrote:

I haven't played 4 years ago.


Why are you on a board for 40k talking about an army you haven't played in 4 years? Just sit quiet at the keyboard unless you have something to add to the discussion.

Those of you complaining about the last one being late, just stop. Would you prefer Warmachine where they literally killed the game with a unreviewed mess?

It is a breath of fresh air to finally have a ruleset that makes sense, plays easily, and gets updated FOUR times a year. That is insane, no one else does that, and no one else has done it this well. GW is literally crushing the market right now and someone of you just complain just to complain....


I havent played 4 years ago, because I started to play my first table top games around 2 months ago. And the sit quite stuff sounds very patronising. And I did check the GK updates for 8th ed, and read most of the GK tactica. It seems that the 4 updates either skiped them in total, or GW has a different definition of the word update.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 lolman1c wrote:
My prediction is that Orks and Space Wolves will oem out first and then get a huge update in a September or October FAQ. They were clearly written before the Big FAQ last year (as we say with Knights) so might need a bit of a work around with any new rules that come in.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
ValentineGames wrote:
I hope it's soon. I really love adding extra £20 books to my collection just to unlock the privilege of playing a game...
It's like a kickstarter.


I feel you. I'm still adamant that we should not have to pay for rule changes... I know people say there are work arounds if you don't want to buy them but GW is a mukti million £€$ company, we shouldn't be forced to go out of our way to find alternative ways to get these rules juat to play at a GW store (where many players are restricted to). I honestly wouldn't mind GW selling a book full of new missions etc... but rule changes and points changes should be free online in this day and age... especially after last CA where some people only had a single page (basically what we in the gaming world would call a patch notes page) of useful information realting to their faction in the entire book but needed that page to continue playing.


All part of the plan. They are selling more paper than ever.
   
Made in us
Ork Boy Hangin' off a Trukk




Los Angeles



Ork just glare.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/07/15 04:34:51


5000
2000
 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: