Switch Theme:

Could Space Wolves be allied with anyone in game lore wise  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





Was wondering if there were any lore friendly factions I could ally with my Wolves? From what I understand they are quite a independent faction so most likely not.

2700
1500 
   
Made in fr
Regular Dakkanaut




Other Space Marines Chapters, Imperial Guard, Adeptus Mechanicus, Deathwatch, Custodes. Only the Inquisition are a little iffy
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





Oh awesome! I anticipated that they were quite a isolated chapter and allying goes against there 'principles'? But thankyou for that, gives me a lot of options.

2700
1500 
   
Made in fr
Regular Dakkanaut




If you check the Lexicanum, you can see that most engagements and campaigns fought by space wolves have them allying with some other Imperial forces.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Wolves#Recent_History
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut





Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Lots of people don't like the wolves, but the Imperium is a big place and for every stuck-up grey knight/inquisitor/Ultramarine who hates them for their unusualness there's a guard commander/inquisitor/Salamander who loves them for their efficacy and defence of civilians.

"The sword can be anklebiter as well as throatcleaver. We need no new weapons to defeat the sons of the hydra, merely new doctrines."
-Joriah Stendall, second Chapter Master of the Red Grail Crusaders 
   
Made in us
Aspirant Tech-Adept






I don't think they're on good terms with the officio assassinorum...


Automatically Appended Next Post:
I don't think they're on good terms with the officio assassinorum...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/06 12:12:01


"I learned the hard way that if you take a stand on any issue, no matter how insignificant, people will line up around the block to kick your ass over it." Jesse "the mind" Ventura. 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






No-one's on good terms with the Officio Assassinorum. They just turn up and do their thing.
   
Made in ca
Regular Dakkanaut





Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

 AndrewGPaul wrote:
No-one's on good terms with the Officio Assassinorum. They just turn up and do their thing.


And usually get worf'd

"The sword can be anklebiter as well as throatcleaver. We need no new weapons to defeat the sons of the hydra, merely new doctrines."
-Joriah Stendall, second Chapter Master of the Red Grail Crusaders 
   
Made in us
Focused Dark Angels Land Raider Pilot




Hanoi, Vietnam.

 Danielle Rae wrote:
 AndrewGPaul wrote:
No-one's on good terms with the Officio Assassinorum. They just turn up and do their thing.


And usually get worf'd

Pff. You don't know what you're talking about. Assassins are aweso... Nevermind...
   
Made in fi
Confessor Of Sins




The Space Wolves are usually welcome if there's butt to be kicked since they're not afraid to do just that. Sure, they're headstrong and boastful, but they deliver and don't usually get in scrapes with the other Imperial forces. Despite that little incident (or two) posters talk about they're still one of the original Chapters with 10K years of legendary service and few black marks.

There are others you'd turn down long before the SW, like the Flesh Tearers who have a tendency to cause collateral damage. Or the cheerful Iron Hands who once freed a world, then executed a third of the population for "being weak"...
   
Made in us
Aspirant Tech-Adept






Space wolves work with non marine forces so much they've even made a special, human safe version of their normally lethal favorite drink, mjød, to share with the rare worthy human.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Fenrisian_Ale

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/07 12:45:05


"I learned the hard way that if you take a stand on any issue, no matter how insignificant, people will line up around the block to kick your ass over it." Jesse "the mind" Ventura. 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





Spetulhu wrote:The Space Wolves are usually welcome if there's butt to be kicked since they're not afraid to do just that. Sure, they're headstrong and boastful, but they deliver and don't usually get in scrapes with the other Imperial forces. Despite that little incident (or two) posters talk about they're still one of the original Chapters with 10K years of legendary service and few black marks.

There are others you'd turn down long before the SW, like the Flesh Tearers who have a tendency to cause collateral damage. Or the cheerful Iron Hands who once freed a world, then executed a third of the population for "being weak"...


Damn those Iron hands.. that is Brutal. I am guessing the flesh tearers succumb to the black rage and attack everyone?

I like that the incidents that the Wolves find themselves in are usually because of there traditional, stoic nature, not so much that they are sly or schemers.

Techpriestsupport wrote:Space wolves work with non marine forces so much they've even made a special, human safe version of their normally lethal favorite drink, mjød, to share with the rare worthy human.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Fenrisian_Ale

That is brilliant! I love that.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/12/07 12:59:40


2700
1500 
   
Made in us
Aspirant Tech-Adept






On a personal note I could imagine space wolves and catachans getting along just fine, given their overall similarities.

Of course they've have to make it clear that female catachans were not to sexually harass the spacewolves...

"I learned the hard way that if you take a stand on any issue, no matter how insignificant, people will line up around the block to kick your ass over it." Jesse "the mind" Ventura. 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





I would like an imperial guard ally. I am unsure of how they regiment AM forces, and who wolves would be most likely to accompany, for thematic reasons of course. It is a shame the IG regiments are OOP. Although a catachan ally would be fun, I have been wanting to play around with a jungle theme. Just some of the models are too arnold-esque for my liking!


2700
1500 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




Guard allies are easy for Wolves. They protect a whole bunch of worlds so just grab one of those.

tremere47-fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate, leads to triple riptide spam  
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Guard. Space wolves have been consistently shown working well with guard units. Logan Grimnar even had a veteran guard sergeant be his cupbearer for the duration of his association with Macharius, which is a high honor usually only bestowed upon respected chapter serfs or promising young space marines.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/07 22:29:15


 
   
Made in ie
Been Around the Block




 Techpriestsupport wrote:
On a personal note I could imagine space wolves and catachans getting along just fine, given their overall similarities.

Of course they've have to make it clear that female catachans were not to sexually harass the spacewolves...


They might have a hard time impressing the Catachans enough to be friends.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




While the Space Wolves have a long rivalry with the Dark Angels that dates back to a Great Crusade-era duel between Russ and Johnson, both chapters actually end up fighting alongside each other with some frequency.

Every time members from the two chapters meet, they engage in a honor duel the one that took place between their respective primarchs.

The DA codex even has a very fun pre-game stratagem to reflect the honor duel. I've actually been running lists around it for the last few months. It's not only extremely fluffy, it's actually a decent stratagem, so best of all worlds. Furthermore, the unique units respective combat styles of both chapters also complement each other pretty well.

I play DA, so if you'd like an overview of what the easiest unit options from our codex might be for you without requiring a small fortune, feel free to PM me, as, I assume I should keep that sort of advice out of the background forum

PS - the book that outlines the duel between Russ and Johnson is called Leman Russ: The Great Wolf, and is actually a decent read for any SW player, whether you choose to ally DA or not.


PPS - YOUR CHAPTER LACKS THE DISCIPLINE AND STRATEGIC APPROACH REQUIRED OF A PROPER SPACE MARINE

(I kid on the last part. This is the sort of thing that's very fun to yell at my SW units when they fail all of their rolls, though, and I would strongly encourage you to do the same in reverse)
   
Made in us
Aspirant Tech-Adept






I think space wolves would have a particularly bad relationship with the officio assassinorum. After the firstbattle for Armageddon the high lords of terra betrayed and condemned the population of armageddon to slavery and extermination becuase "Oh noes, they saw daemons and fought them!"

Logan grimnar loudly and openly castigated the HLoT for their horrible treatment and abuse of loyal imperial citizens who had fought courageously.

The HLoT, upon being spoken of in less that fawning terms, responded reflexively and sent an imperial assassin to silence grimnar.

Logan grimnar is still alive and well, rumor has it the remins of the assassin are in a secluded area of the spacewolves hall of legends.

So again, they may not be on good terms with the officio assassinorum.


"I learned the hard way that if you take a stand on any issue, no matter how insignificant, people will line up around the block to kick your ass over it." Jesse "the mind" Ventura. 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





AdmirableGoal wrote:While the Space Wolves have a long rivalry with the Dark Angels that dates back to a Great Crusade-era duel between Russ and Johnson, both chapters actually end up fighting alongside each other with some frequency.

Every time members from the two chapters meet, they engage in a honor duel the one that took place between their respective primarchs.

The DA codex even has a very fun pre-game stratagem to reflect the honor duel. I've actually been running lists around it for the last few months. It's not only extremely fluffy, it's actually a decent stratagem, so best of all worlds. Furthermore, the unique units respective combat styles of both chapters also complement each other pretty well.

I play DA, so if you'd like an overview of what the easiest unit options from our codex might be for you without requiring a small fortune, feel free to PM me, as, I assume I should keep that sort of advice out of the background forum

PS - the book that outlines the duel between Russ and Johnson is called Leman Russ: The Great Wolf, and is actually a decent read for any SW player, whether you choose to ally DA or not.


PPS - YOUR CHAPTER LACKS THE DISCIPLINE AND STRATEGIC APPROACH REQUIRED OF A PROPER SPACE MARINE

(I kid on the last part. This is the sort of thing that's very fun to yell at my SW units when they fail all of their rolls, though, and I would strongly encourage you to do the same in reverse)

That stratagem sounds very cool. What does it do? If that is allowed to be said on the forum..

Ahh another book to read! Thank you very much, definitely will give that a read after I have got through the others.

I appreciate the offer on advice.. however, if I was to do DA it would be fallen! If I recall correctly, Ragnar spared a fallen his life in some form or other, and I have Blackmane company, so that is a possibility.. So I may take you up on that!

Techpriestsupport wrote:I think space wolves would have a particularly bad relationship with the officio assassinorum. After the firstbattle for Armageddon the high lords of terra betrayed and condemned the population of armageddon to slavery and extermination becuase "Oh noes, they saw daemons and fought them!"

Logan grimnar loudly and openly castigated the HLoT for their horrible treatment and abuse of loyal imperial citizens who had fought courageously.

The HLoT, upon being spoken of in less that fawning terms, responded reflexively and sent an imperial assassin to silence grimnar.

Logan grimnar is still alive and well, rumor has it the remins of the assassin are in a secluded area of the spacewolves hall of legends.

So again, they may not be on good terms with the officio assassinorum.


If I was to do assasins, I would fluff it as the wolves did not know they were there. I like a couple of the models of the assasins and the Vindicar is right up my street in terms of rules.

2700
1500 
   
Made in ru
Implacable Skitarii






Planet of fakes - as 'there's no wolves on Fenris' so there's no honey in their mjød...

Without passion we'd be truly dead. 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





UK

 Alphabet wrote:
AdmirableGoal wrote:The DA codex even has a very fun pre-game stratagem to reflect the honor duel. I've actually been running lists around it for the last few months. It's not only extremely fluffy, it's actually a decent stratagem, so best of all worlds. Furthermore, the unique units respective combat styles of both chapters also complement each other pretty well.

That stratagem sounds very cool. What does it do? If that is allowed to be said on the forum..

It has been shared online at the Warhammer community so I assume it is OK to repost this here since it has been posted by GW themselves, not scanned from a codex.


I stand between the darkness and the light. Between the candle and the star. 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Techpriestsupport wrote:
I think space wolves would have a particularly bad relationship with the officio assassinorum. After the firstbattle for Armageddon the high lords of terra betrayed and condemned the population of armageddon to slavery and extermination becuase "Oh noes, they saw daemons and fought them!"

Logan grimnar loudly and openly castigated the HLoT for their horrible treatment and abuse of loyal imperial citizens who had fought courageously.

Um, wrong. They weren't condemned because "they saw daemons". IG troopers do that all the time. It's because Armageddon was halfway towards turning into a full blown daemon world, with dozens of bloodthirsters and even daemon primarch manifesting. This is not "oh noes", it's everyone present being irrevocably corrupted by the strongest source of warp taint after the Eye of Terror. Every human left alive on the planet was a massive security risk that could have spawned the cycle that just cost Imperium oceans of blood all over again, even if they didn't wanted to. Expending them working away from any vital assets was actually the right call, and what Logan did was idiotic beyond belief, with the only sensible explanation being the fact that Khornate axe he carries probably overwrote his brain long ago and he was actively working to spread the cults around.

But then came even more idiotic retcon, where ADB makes Logan Sue not only betray the Imperium by letting tainted people escape and never suffers any consequences for it, he actually backstabs and kills Grey Knight Grand Master (with his axe probably laughing all the way to the bank) during parley for which he should be instantly executed, not let go. The whole incident borders on ridiculous, too, with GM, his champion, retinue of terminators and psyker inquisitor all failing to notice Logan wants to kill them (despite, oh, only being able to read thoughts, with one guy even being able to see the future...) then Logan Sue somehow cuts his head off by striking through chest of terminator armour, then gorget, then psychic hood like it was wet paper, and, while everyone else stares in disbelief for so long Wolfwolfes can have a leisure conversation with their ship ordering to be teleported away and escape
   
Made in us
Aspirant Tech-Adept






I only read the original fluff where the peolle of Armageddon we're betrayed, grimnar protested, the HLoT sent an assassin and reportedly what's left of that assassin is now an exhibit in the SW hall of legends. I never read the detailed retcon.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Even tho it would be very much an "odd couple" I could see the space wolves and the blood angels being able to respect each other and work together as each chapter knows what it's like to live with a monster inside them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/17 02:56:51


"I learned the hard way that if you take a stand on any issue, no matter how insignificant, people will line up around the block to kick your ass over it." Jesse "the mind" Ventura. 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





 Irbis wrote:
 Techpriestsupport wrote:
I think space wolves would have a particularly bad relationship with the officio assassinorum. After the firstbattle for Armageddon the high lords of terra betrayed and condemned the population of armageddon to slavery and extermination becuase "Oh noes, they saw daemons and fought them!"

Logan grimnar loudly and openly castigated the HLoT for their horrible treatment and abuse of loyal imperial citizens who had fought courageously.

Um, wrong. They weren't condemned because "they saw daemons". IG troopers do that all the time. It's because Armageddon was halfway towards turning into a full blown daemon world, with dozens of bloodthirsters and even daemon primarch manifesting. This is not "oh noes", it's everyone present being irrevocably corrupted by the strongest source of warp taint after the Eye of Terror. Every human left alive on the planet was a massive security risk that could have spawned the cycle that just cost Imperium oceans of blood all over again, even if they didn't wanted to. Expending them working away from any vital assets was actually the right call, and what Logan did was idiotic beyond belief, with the only sensible explanation being the fact that Khornate axe he carries probably overwrote his brain long ago and he was actively working to spread the cults around.

But then came even more idiotic retcon, where ADB makes Logan Sue not only betray the Imperium by letting tainted people escape and never suffers any consequences for it, he actually backstabs and kills Grey Knight Grand Master (with his axe probably laughing all the way to the bank) during parley for which he should be instantly executed, not let go. The whole incident borders on ridiculous, too, with GM, his champion, retinue of terminators and psyker inquisitor all failing to notice Logan wants to kill them (despite, oh, only being able to read thoughts, with one guy even being able to see the future...) then Logan Sue somehow cuts his head off by striking through chest of terminator armour, then gorget, then psychic hood like it was wet paper, and, while everyone else stares in disbelief for so long Wolfwolfes can have a leisure conversation with their ship ordering to be teleported away and escape

I have never read this book, so I honestly cannot comment with anything of real worth. Never heard the voe interpretated that way, more power to you, that's the beauty of literature.

2700
1500 
   
Made in de
Thinking of Joining a Davinite Loge





Fort Hood (Tx)

In the HH the Space wolves worked well with the Iron Hands, Imperial Fists and white scars

Modern times, the Salamanders like them. And I'd assume most guard regiments wouldnt mind working with them.



Check out my slow progressing work blog Vlka Fenryka 
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

 Alphabet wrote:
Was wondering if there were any lore friendly factions I could ally with my Wolves? From what I understand they are quite a independent faction so most likely not.


Any Imperial faction - yep

Xenos - Eldar and tau wuld be fine - although the Wolves have screwed up such alliances in the past

Chaos - plenty of Space Wolf traitors in the past.

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran




Most Xenos would work (except Nids, I suppose. They struggle with allies).


Space Wolves did shoot Sisters of Battle on sight in the 5th Edition codex though (despite allying with Eldar basically on the same page).
   
Made in ca
Battlefortress Driver with Krusha Wheel





Sunny Side Up wrote:
Most Xenos would work (except Nids, I suppose. They struggle with allies).


Space Wolves did shoot Sisters of Battle on sight in the 5th Edition codex though (despite allying with Eldar basically on the same page).


Wasn't that when the Ecclesiarchy invaded the Fang due to claims of their local religions on Fenris being pagan/heretical? That gives a little more reason as to why Space Wolves were hostile to them, rather than it being out of the blue.

My milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard and they're like, hurr darry darr.


My suggestion to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy, if you have a bad wife you'll become a philosopher. 
   
Made in us
Aspirant Tech-Adept






Could someone give me some background on this bit with the wolves firing on SoBs please?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Could someone give me some background on this bit with the wolves firing on SoBs please?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/18 23:02:03


"I learned the hard way that if you take a stand on any issue, no matter how insignificant, people will line up around the block to kick your ass over it." Jesse "the mind" Ventura. 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Background
Go to: