Switch Theme:

Newish to the game not sure where to start  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Hey guys,

I am pretty much new to the game, I had an ultra-brief jump in the game in one of the older editions (5th and was only like 3 months). So I was hoping I could ask a couple of questions.
Back when 8th came out I planned to start playing again and bought a ton of daemon models.

Besides acquiring the Codex, Rulebook and models is there any other resources I could look into for the daemons?
I admit I am a bit lost, TBH I bought so many daemons that there is still a ton still on sprues so I don't have an accurate account of which I have quite yet.

Should I focus on 1 daemon army/sector or mix and match?
I remember that power creep was huge back in the day is that still the same?
How are daemons? I am committed to them cause i always wanted to play them but I would like to know what to expect. Are my ass beatings going to just be from lack of experiences or lack of experience and power level?
Is there any online reading resources/podcast etc that I could check out to further my understanding?
There is apparently new models for Slaneesh but there rules arent in the Codex, where can I find those? (Example Syll' Esske")?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this helps but I know I have at least the follwing models. (I still have several boxes to build).
Skarbrand
Daemon of korne Bloodthirster
1 unity of Bloodcrushers
1 unit of Fiends
3 Daemon Prince
Herald of Tzeentch on burning Chariot
Burning Chariot of Tzeentch
Karanak
Numerous Blue horrors and Brimstone horrors
The changling
Numerous Screamers of Tzeentch
Numerous Pink Horrors of tzeentch
Unit of Plaguebearers of nurgle
40 daemonettes
30 Bloodletters
1 unit of nurglings
The Masque
Numerous Flamers of Tzeentch
Herald of Slaanesh
Soul Grinder
Magnus the Red
   
Made in us
Wing Commander





Run, RUN AWAY! SAVE YOURSELF! ALL WHO ENTER THIS HOBBY ARE DOOOOOOMED!
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




lol nah man. I work in an office all day, I love this social interaction. I am a former warmachine player of 6 years and I own every guildball team. I have been doomed for many many years.
P.S. Love the avatar FezzikDaBullgryn

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/05/07 14:24:19


 
   
Made in us
Shas'ui with Bonding Knife






Are you wanting to be competitive or just play to have fun (not really caring too much if you lose or win as long as you're having fun)?

SG

40K - T'au Empire
Kill Team - T'au Empire, Death Guard
Warhammer Underworlds - Garrek’s Reavers

*** I only play for fun. I do not play competitively. *** 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




 ServiceGames wrote:
Are you wanting to be competitive or just play to have fun (not really caring too much if you lose or win as long as you're having fun)?

SG


Both. Starting out I am just looking to have fun but once I get my head around everything I would start shifting to be more competitive. I am aware that starting out I am probably going to lose alot. Especially vs more experienced players which is probably everyone

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/07 14:42:52


 
   
Made in us
Shas'ui with Bonding Knife






Azarin wrote:
Both. Starting out I am just looking to have fun but once I get my head around everything I would start shifting to be more competitive. I am aware that starting out I am probably going to lose alot. Especially vs more experienced players which is probably everyone
I would start here. This guy is trying to work his way to becoming a truly competitive Warhammer 40K player and seems to understand the overall meta pretty well. He hasn't put up his top armies of April yet, but he does have a video up for March. I think at least one daemon army made it onto that list. If not, take a look at his video from the month before. I know there was one recently. He also has some other good tips:




SG

40K - T'au Empire
Kill Team - T'au Empire, Death Guard
Warhammer Underworlds - Garrek’s Reavers

*** I only play for fun. I do not play competitively. *** 
   
Made in gb
Freelance Soldier




Nottingham, England

The 40k new Slaanesh model rules currently only come in the box with the models.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




 ServiceGames wrote:
Azarin wrote:
Both. Starting out I am just looking to have fun but once I get my head around everything I would start shifting to be more competitive. I am aware that starting out I am probably going to lose alot. Especially vs more experienced players which is probably everyone
I would start here. This guy is trying to work his way to becoming a truly competitive Warhammer 40K player and seems to understand the overall meta pretty well. He hasn't put up his top armies of April yet, but he does have a video up for March. I think at least one daemon army made it onto that list. If not, take a look at his video from the month before. I know there was one recently. He also has some other good tips:




SG


Awesome, thank you for the lead. Greatly appreciated.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 TwilightSparkles wrote:
The 40k new Slaanesh model rules currently only come in the box with the models.


That makes sense. Thanks. I am used to GB and Warmahordes where the rules would always just be in apps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/07 14:52:16


 
   
Made in us
Wing Commander





Custodes are a great first timers army, and you don't have a lot of tricky sub units to deal with. Also, $150 bucks gets you about 1000pts.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran



NE Ohio, USA

 FezzikDaBullgryn wrote:
Custodes are a great first timers army, and you don't have a lot of tricky sub units to deal with. Also, $150 bucks gets you about 1000pts.


And this answers the op's original questions about playing his already bought demons how exactly?

Unfortunately I don't have much 40k based advice myself on this for the op. The only time I've run my Khorne demons here in 8th was by accident. The plan had been AoS. At the last moment it turned into a 40k game - and all I had handy was my demons + the Index (I didn't own the 40k demon book at the time & nobody else had one with them). Things didn't go so well on my end of the table as I was playing minus strats etc.
So definitely get all your rules.
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps






 ServiceGames wrote:
Azarin wrote:
Both. Starting out I am just looking to have fun but once I get my head around everything I would start shifting to be more competitive. I am aware that starting out I am probably going to lose alot. Especially vs more experienced players which is probably everyone
I would start here. This guy is trying to work his way to becoming a truly competitive Warhammer 40K player and seems to understand the overall meta pretty well. He hasn't put up his top armies of April yet, but he does have a video up for March. I think at least one daemon army made it onto that list. If not, take a look at his video from the month before. I know there was one recently. He also has some other good tips:

SG


I like this guy's videos too. I'm certain he hasn't done his April's best armies video yet because he was playing in a GT this past weekend... so it's probably coming, but I'd give him a few days since 2 day tournaments take a lot of time out of you!
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




 Horst wrote:
 ServiceGames wrote:
Azarin wrote:
Both. Starting out I am just looking to have fun but once I get my head around everything I would start shifting to be more competitive. I am aware that starting out I am probably going to lose alot. Especially vs more experienced players which is probably everyone
I would start here. This guy is trying to work his way to becoming a truly competitive Warhammer 40K player and seems to understand the overall meta pretty well. He hasn't put up his top armies of April yet, but he does have a video up for March. I think at least one daemon army made it onto that list. If not, take a look at his video from the month before. I know there was one recently. He also has some other good tips:

SG


I like this guy's videos too. I'm certain he hasn't done his April's best armies video yet because he was playing in a GT this past weekend... so it's probably coming, but I'd give him a few days since 2 day tournaments take a lot of time out of you!


Neat! I checked out the march video, I will keep an eye out for the april
   
Made in us
Shas'ui with Bonding Knife






Azarin wrote:
Neat! I checked out the march video, I will keep an eye out for the april
If you have a few minutes, take a glance through his videos. He has some useful tips as well as his opinions on controversies, the new FAQs when they come out, starting a new army, etc.

SG

40K - T'au Empire
Kill Team - T'au Empire, Death Guard
Warhammer Underworlds - Garrek’s Reavers

*** I only play for fun. I do not play competitively. *** 
   
Made in ca
Courageous Space Marine Captain





regarding other resources, there is vigilus abalze which does have a tinsy msattering of Khrone Deamon rules, although it's MOSTLY CSM stuff

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut





UK

I have an opponent who plays Daemons very well and it is always a tough game. I have faced a mix of Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch from him (no Slaanesh yet).

His basic approach is normally a big blob of either Pink Horrors (for shooting) or Plague Bearers (for toughness) advancing straight down the middle. He has 3 winged Daemon Princes advancing behind this blob so as to be screened (one of them is often Belakor). He normally has 2 or 3 smallish units of Bimstone horrors to hold objectives. On turn 2, he normally drops in 3 Blood Letter bombs and charges with the Princes.

This basic setup is often flavoured with a couple of Greater Daemons or special characters.

Overall it is a bit of a one-trick pony but it is very effective if co-ordinated well. Even if I get first turn, it is almost impossible to clear through the screens before the heavy hitters reach my lines and the Blood Letters drop in to tear apart my flanks.

I stand between the darkness and the light. Between the candle and the star. 
   
Made in ch
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





Well you have a decent sized Bloodletters bomb, for a daemon army i would however reccomend more nurglings and or more plaguebearers?

Also Chaos as a faction allows you to soup generally for most things, consider this aswell. (CSM like SM are a decent starter army, has another bunch off tricks though)

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




 Karhedron wrote:
I have an opponent who plays Daemons very well and it is always a tough game. I have faced a mix of Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch from him (no Slaanesh yet).

His basic approach is normally a big blob of either Pink Horrors (for shooting) or Plague Bearers (for toughness) advancing straight down the middle. He has 3 winged Daemon Princes advancing behind this blob so as to be screened (one of them is often Belakor). He normally has 2 or 3 smallish units of Bimstone horrors to hold objectives. On turn 2, he normally drops in 3 Blood Letter bombs and charges with the Princes.

This basic setup is often flavoured with a couple of Greater Daemons or special characters.

Overall it is a bit of a one-trick pony but it is very effective if co-ordinated well. Even if I get first turn, it is almost impossible to clear through the screens before the heavy hitters reach my lines and the Blood Letters drop in to tear apart my flanks.


I was reading about the bloodletter bomb yesterday. Thank you very much for the explanation and advice.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Not Online!!! wrote:
Well you have a decent sized Bloodletters bomb, for a daemon army i would however reccomend more nurglings and or more plaguebearers?

Also Chaos as a faction allows you to soup generally for most things, consider this aswell. (CSM like SM are a decent starter army, has another bunch off tricks though)


Yea I saw that the Chaos space marines, I will probably eventually branch into them but atm I am sticking with learning the game with just the demons. You are definitely right about the Nurgle stuff, I am afraid that Nurgle was the 1 god i skimped on, so I will probably have to get more if I don't find more hidden within my box of sprues. I know I found 6 plague drones last night that I assembeled. lol

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/08 13:10:38


 
   
Made in ch
Anointed Dark Priest of Chaos





Yea I saw that the Chaos space marines, I will probably eventually branch into them but atm I am sticking with learning the game with just the demons. You are definitely right about the Nurgle stuff, I am afraid that Nurgle was the 1 god i skimped on, so I will probably have to get more if I don't find more hidden within my box of sprues. I know I found 6 plague drones last night that I assembeled. lol


see, no nurgle is good for a daemon army because durable and annoying, the bloodletters as hammer,
Alternatively if you don't like CSM there's also the oop and terrible R&H (you like mutants right?)

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/766717.page

A Mostly Renegades and Heretics blog.
_______________________________

Who would win:
10'000 + years of veterancy, or some raidy Boys?
(Not Online in regards to the new Red Corsair battalion CP boost.) 
   
Made in ca
Eternally-Stimulated Slaanesh Dreadnought





Rzhev

I can't speak to competitiveness, but I can speak to organization.


Skarbrand
Karanak
Bloodthirster
3x10 Bloodletters
1 unit of Bloodcrushers

This is a Khorne Battalion Detachment (5CP) and all the models in it get the Khorne Locus benefits.

The Masque
Herald of Slaanesh
1x14 Daemonettes
2x13 Daemonettes
1 unit of Fiends

This is a Slaanesh Battalion Detachment (5CP) and all the models in it get the Slaanesh Locus benefits.

The Changeling
Herald of Tzeentch on burning Chariot
Burning Chariot of Tzeentch
Numerous Screamers of Tzeentch
Numerous Pink Horrors of tzeentch
Numerous Flamers

This is a Tzeentch Detachment and all the models in it get the Tzeentch Locus benefits. What kind of Detachment depends on exactly how numerous each type of Daemon is. You need at least 30 Horrors to make a Battalion.

Unit of Plaguebearers of nurgle
1 unit of nurglings

You'll need an HQ to make this into a Nurgle Patrol Detachment and give all the models in it the Nurgle Locus benefits. Alternatively, you can reserve points and Summon these units during the battle.

3 Daemon Princes
Soul Grinder

These can be given any Allegiance you like and plugged into any of the above Detachments, or reserved for Summoning.

Magnus the Red

I don't know much about Magnus and will decline comment.

The Fall of Kronstaat IV
Война Народная | Voyna Narodnaya | The People's War - 2,898pts painted (updated 18/09/19)
Волшебная Сказка | Volshebnaya Skazka | A Fairy Tale (updated 07/10/19, ep9 - Разорение | Razoreniye | Downfall)
Kabal of The Violet Heart (updated 18/09/19)

You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major who got pooh-poohed; made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cause it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment.
 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




 Excommunicatus wrote:
I can't speak to competitiveness, but I can speak to organization.


Skarbrand
Karanak
Bloodthirster
3x10 Bloodletters
1 unit of Bloodcrushers

This is a Khorne Battalion Detachment (5CP) and all the models in it get the Khorne Locus benefits.

The Masque
Herald of Slaanesh
1x14 Daemonettes
2x13 Daemonettes
1 unit of Fiends

This is a Slaanesh Battalion Detachment (5CP) and all the models in it get the Slaanesh Locus benefits.

The Changeling
Herald of Tzeentch on burning Chariot
Burning Chariot of Tzeentch
Numerous Screamers of Tzeentch
Numerous Pink Horrors of tzeentch
Numerous Flamers

This is a Tzeentch Detachment and all the models in it get the Tzeentch Locus benefits. What kind of Detachment depends on exactly how numerous each type of Daemon is. You need at least 30 Horrors to make a Battalion.

Unit of Plaguebearers of nurgle
1 unit of nurglings

You'll need an HQ to make this into a Nurgle Patrol Detachment and give all the models in it the Nurgle Locus benefits. Alternatively, you can reserve points and Summon these units during the battle.

3 Daemon Princes
Soul Grinder

These can be given any Allegiance you like and plugged into any of the above Detachments, or reserved for Summoning.

Magnus the Red

I don't know much about Magnus and will decline comment.


Thank you for laying it out like that. It is one thing to see other peoples list and another to see what you currently own layed out in that format. Yea I am probably going to look into nurgling hqs as my first purchase.
   
Made in ca
Eternally-Stimulated Slaanesh Dreadnought





Rzhev

De nada, du rien, pozhaluysta.

I would advise strongly upping your Slaanesh content, but of course I am biased and ill-equipped to speak about competitiveness.

Bear in mind that in most pick-up games and, I am advised, all tournaments you'll be limited to a maximum of three Detachments at 2,000 points.

I presume you're aware of the Rule of Three? Strictly speaking, it isn't a rule at all but the community by and large treats it as if it was.

The Fall of Kronstaat IV
Война Народная | Voyna Narodnaya | The People's War - 2,898pts painted (updated 18/09/19)
Волшебная Сказка | Volshebnaya Skazka | A Fairy Tale (updated 07/10/19, ep9 - Разорение | Razoreniye | Downfall)
Kabal of The Violet Heart (updated 18/09/19)

You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major who got pooh-poohed; made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cause it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment.
 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




 Excommunicatus wrote:
De nada, du rien, pozhaluysta.

I would advise strongly upping your Slaanesh content, but of course I am biased and ill-equipped to speak about competitiveness.

Bear in mind that in most pick-up games and, I am advised, all tournaments you'll be limited to a maximum of three Detachments at 2,000 points.

I presume you're aware of the Rule of Three? Strictly speaking, it isn't a rule at all but the community by and large treats it as if it was.


I am not aware of the Rule of Three I am afraid. I am guessing it is referening to the number of Detachments? I have more slaneesh still on sprues in a box but I dont know exactly what yet until i get to building it. I literally have several feet of models still on sprues and I am just going down the pile building lmfao.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/05/08 14:52:15


 
   
Made in ca
Eternally-Stimulated Slaanesh Dreadnought





Rzhev

Broadly, the Rule of Three states that at 2,000 points you cannot include more than three of the same Datasheet, except Troops and Dedicated Transports.

So three Daemon Princes is fine, four is not. Five is right out.

The Fall of Kronstaat IV
Война Народная | Voyna Narodnaya | The People's War - 2,898pts painted (updated 18/09/19)
Волшебная Сказка | Volshebnaya Skazka | A Fairy Tale (updated 07/10/19, ep9 - Разорение | Razoreniye | Downfall)
Kabal of The Violet Heart (updated 18/09/19)

You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major who got pooh-poohed; made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cause it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment.
 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




 Excommunicatus wrote:
Broadly, the Rule of Three states that at 2,000 points you cannot include more than three of the same Datasheet, except Troops and Dedicated Transports.

So three Daemon Princes is fine, four is not. Five is right out.


Ah ok that is new to me. When I browsed at the start of 8th edition it saw list like 6 demon princes etc. I really like this Rule of three, seems to mitigate spam a bit.
   
Made in ca
Eternally-Stimulated Slaanesh Dreadnought





Rzhev

Well yes, but actually no.

It curbs some spam (like Daemon Princes), ignores others (like Cultists) and de facto, if not de jure, imposes unnecessary restrictions on non-competitive players (like me), IMO.

The Fall of Kronstaat IV
Война Народная | Voyna Narodnaya | The People's War - 2,898pts painted (updated 18/09/19)
Волшебная Сказка | Volshebnaya Skazka | A Fairy Tale (updated 07/10/19, ep9 - Разорение | Razoreniye | Downfall)
Kabal of The Violet Heart (updated 18/09/19)

You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major who got pooh-poohed; made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cause it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment.
 
   
Made in us
Resolute Ultramarine Honor Guard






Peoria IL

Have you played a game yet? If not, I'd look at playing a couple of Kill Team or small hammer games (PL40 or lower, to keep your building/painting burden down). Kill team may not be the best, since daemons are barely present there.

DO:70S++G++M+B++I+Pw40k93/f#++D++++A++++/eWD-R++++T(D)DM+
Note: Records since 2010, lists kept current (W-D-L) Blue DP Crusade 118-11-6 Looted Green Horde smash your face in 32-7-8 Broadside/Shield Drone/Kroot blitz goodness 22-3-4 Grey Hunters galore 17-5-5 Khan Bikes Win 60-1-1 Tanith with Pardus Armor 11-0-0 Crimson Tide 57-4-0 Green/Raven/Deathwing 18-0-0 Jumping GK force with Inq. 3-0-0 BTemplars w LRs 7-1-2 IH Legion with Automata 6-0-0 RG Legion w Adepticon medal 5-0-0

QM Templates here, best army builder app on the market, IMO
My Babylon 5 CCG blog
One Page 40k Ruleset for Game Beginners 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




 Lobukia wrote:
Have you played a game yet? If not, I'd look at playing a couple of Kill Team or small hammer games (PL40 or lower, to keep your building/painting burden down). Kill team may not be the best, since daemons are barely present there.


I have not, The idea was to start a small 500-1000pt game and learn from there. I know 1000 isnt the smallest but I am excited to try it and it isnt my 1st tabletop game (used to warmachine and guildball).
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: