Switch Theme:

[1500] - Iron Hands - Dreadnought List  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest






Varying cities in the North

Hi all, this is the basics of a dreadnought-heavy list. I want it to be fun and maybe win some matches in a semi-comp setting. Not going for Leviathans because money. Also I'm aware that grav devastators in a drop pod would be better than one of the mortis dreads, but going thematically here.

Battalion +3
Techmarine 45
Techmarine 45

Scouts – snipers, camo cloaks 80
Scouts – snipers, camo cloaks 80
Scouts – snipers, camo cloaks 80


Spearhead +1
Techmarine 45 (Warlord - Ironstone relic)

Mortis Dreadnought – 2x twin las 175
Mortis Dreadnought – 2x twin las 175
Contemptor Mortis – 2x Kheres assault cannon 156
Thunderfire Cannon 92

Vanguard +1
Primaris Lieutenant – master crafted stalker bolt rifle 70

Ironclad – cc weapon, chainfist, 2 heavy flamers, ironclad assault launchers 131
Invictor – incendium cannon 131
Invictor – incendium cannon 131

1436

Some points left over to upgrade someone to the Iron Father character once we know how much he is. Let me know your thoughts, I'd be worried v Knights or heavy armour but I think I've got screens and hordes covered tbh.

UPDATED LIST FURTHER DOWN

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2019/09/12 20:31:54


   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User




Snipers and camo cloaks are a bit of a waste.
You'd probably be better off just running bare bones scout squads and having a captain over a techmarine, re- rolling 1's is important this edition.
Because you're iron hands, your dreadnoughts degrade later and the heal from the techmarine probably isn't as worth it.

Another issue, is that if you whiff your flamers hordes would overrun you very fast.

If you take this to 2000, think about a leviathan. 20 str 7 ap -2 2 damage shots for 300 points is ridiculous.

Good luck!
   
Made in nl
Fresh-Faced New User




Pretty sure you forgot to pay points for the LT's hun.

Also, techmarines are 45 points base do you play Them with a power weapon?
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest






Varying cities in the North

Lifeistorment wrote:
Snipers and camo cloaks are a bit of a waste.
You'd probably be better off just running bare bones scout squads and having a captain over a techmarine, re- rolling 1's is important this edition.
Because you're iron hands, your dreadnoughts degrade later and the heal from the techmarine probably isn't as worth it.

Another issue, is that if you whiff your flamers hordes would overrun you very fast.

If you take this to 2000, think about a leviathan. 20 str 7 ap -2 2 damage shots for 300 points is ridiculous.

Good luck!


Was thinking just to get some wounds from enemy characters? I'm not attached to them though, so they're open to change. Would you go bare bones rather than a heavy weapon or something? The Captain seems a little redundant seeing as Iron Hands reroll 1s on Heavy weapons anyway, which most of this stuff is. A Leviathan (or two) is definitely on the list, I just need to find the cash first!



faithonwings wrote:
Pretty sure you forgot to pay points for the LT's hun.

Also, techmarines are 45 points base do you play Them with a power weapon?


Ah thanks for pointing that out. I actually checked the points for a regular Lieutenant and added the bolt rifle, instead of the Primaris one. I'll add that on. Good point on the techmarines, I saw they had power axe as standard and didn't even think to swap it out for a chainsword. Would save a few points. Cheers!

   
Made in gb
Wicked Canoptek Wraith




I'd swap the Sniper scouts out for three units of Stalker Bolt rifle Intercessors. About same cost, twice the wounds, can use the strat to target characters if need be and the benefit from Iron hands Doctrine nicely.
   
Made in de
Rampaging Furioso Blood Angel Dreadnought






Germany

Quad LC mortis dreads are 155, but you can have quad LC contemptor mortis dreads for 168, which i recommend. Your points are pretty much off, i suggest checking for updates.
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest






Varying cities in the North

IanVanCheese wrote:
I'd swap the Sniper scouts out for three units of Stalker Bolt rifle Intercessors. About same cost, twice the wounds, can use the strat to target characters if need be and the benefit from Iron hands Doctrine nicely.

That's not a bad shout actually. May well do that - thanks.


p5freak wrote:
Quad LC mortis dreads are 155, but you can have quad LC contemptor mortis dreads for 168, which i recommend. Your points are pretty much off, i suggest checking for updates.

I can't for the life of me work out how you got to 155? Yes, a twin lascannon in the Space Marines codex is 40 points, but in Imperial Armour (the only place you can take Mortis dreads from) it is still 50. The most recent update for that book I can find is 1.6, and there are no points changes there. Unless you're using the points for "Quad Lascannon" rather than taking two Twin Lascannons as the entry says? As such, I make Contemptor Mortis with four lascannons out to be 206 also? It would be helpful to let me know where you've found these values rather than simply saying "your points are pretty much off" as it would be more constructive for a returning player! Thanks

   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User




You need to look into the app battle scribe, and google adding 40k repository’s, there will have been plenty of changes to points and this is the best bet for up to date info
   
Made in de
Rampaging Furioso Blood Angel Dreadnought






Germany

 Sledgio wrote:
IanVanCheese wrote:
I'd swap the Sniper scouts out for three units of Stalker Bolt rifle Intercessors. About same cost, twice the wounds, can use the strat to target characters if need be and the benefit from Iron hands Doctrine nicely.

That's not a bad shout actually. May well do that - thanks.


p5freak wrote:
Quad LC mortis dreads are 155, but you can have quad LC contemptor mortis dreads for 168, which i recommend. Your points are pretty much off, i suggest checking for updates.

I can't for the life of me work out how you got to 155? Yes, a twin lascannon in the Space Marines codex is 40 points, but in Imperial Armour (the only place you can take Mortis dreads from) it is still 50. The most recent update for that book I can find is 1.6, and there are no points changes there. Unless you're using the points for "Quad Lascannon" rather than taking two Twin Lascannons as the entry says? As such, I make Contemptor Mortis with four lascannons out to be 206 also? It would be helpful to let me know where you've found these values rather than simply saying "your points are pretty much off" as it would be more constructive for a returning player! Thanks


CA 2018 changed the base cost for a contemptor mortis dread to 88 pts. One twin LC is 40, thats 168 pts for a double twin LC contemptor mortis dread. My FW index adeptus astartes says a mortis dread is base 75 pts. plus 80 for two twin LC is 155 pts. Use battlescribe, it has the right point costs, unless there was a change, it takes a few until it gets updated.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/09/11 17:42:18


 
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest






Varying cities in the North

 p5freak wrote:
 Sledgio wrote:
IanVanCheese wrote:
I'd swap the Sniper scouts out for three units of Stalker Bolt rifle Intercessors. About same cost, twice the wounds, can use the strat to target characters if need be and the benefit from Iron hands Doctrine nicely.

That's not a bad shout actually. May well do that - thanks.


p5freak wrote:
Quad LC mortis dreads are 155, but you can have quad LC contemptor mortis dreads for 168, which i recommend. Your points are pretty much off, i suggest checking for updates.

I can't for the life of me work out how you got to 155? Yes, a twin lascannon in the Space Marines codex is 40 points, but in Imperial Armour (the only place you can take Mortis dreads from) it is still 50. The most recent update for that book I can find is 1.6, and there are no points changes there. Unless you're using the points for "Quad Lascannon" rather than taking two Twin Lascannons as the entry says? As such, I make Contemptor Mortis with four lascannons out to be 206 also? It would be helpful to let me know where you've found these values rather than simply saying "your points are pretty much off" as it would be more constructive for a returning player! Thanks


CA 2018 changed the base cost for a contemptor mortis dread to 88 pts. One twin LC is 40, thats 168 pts for a double twin LC contemptor mortis dread. My FW index adeptus astartes says a mortis dread is base 75 pts. plus 80 for two twin LC is 155 pts. Use battlescribe, it has the right point costs, unless there was a change, it takes a few until it gets updated.


Thanks, that's really helpful! Battlescribe isn't for me tbh - I tend to use official GW stuff, but cheers for the tip.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Still looking for more list advice - other than points clarifications! I think I'll struggle with armour at the moment.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/09/11 23:32:49


   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




Some suppressors could be an interesting inclusion if you can get them in points wise especially with the new previewed iron hands no penalty to move and shoot heavy trait.

   
Made in de
Rampaging Furioso Blood Angel Dreadnought






Germany

I dont think you will struggle against vehicles with 8 lascannons. Kheres AC also works ok against vehicles. Two twin autocannons on a dread work against hordes/heavy infantry and vehicles. 8 shots at S7 AP-1 D2. Inceptors work well against hordes and reasonable well against vehicles with T6-8. Any more anti vehicle guns will make you weaker against hordes.
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest






Varying cities in the North

Brass eye wrote:
Some suppressors could be an interesting inclusion if you can get them in points wise especially with the new previewed iron hands no penalty to move and shoot heavy trait.

They certainly look cool with Iron Hands, but I think I'd plump for a dread in this particular list to keep with the theme!

p5freak wrote:
I dont think you will struggle against vehicles with 8 lascannons. Kheres AC also works ok against vehicles. Two twin autocannons on a dread work against hordes/heavy infantry and vehicles. 8 shots at S7 AP-1 D2. Inceptors work well against hordes and reasonable well against vehicles with T6-8. Any more anti vehicle guns will make you weaker against hordes.

8 lascannons doesn't even take a standard Knight down a bracket. Other vehicles, yes I'm sure I'm fine, but Knights could be a problem. Autocannons could well be the answer.

   
Made in de
Rampaging Furioso Blood Angel Dreadnought






Germany

8 LC shots from contemptor mortis dreads score 6 hits, 3 are saved by the knight with its 4+ inv. 3 wounds with 3.5 damage each is 10.5 damage on the knight.
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest






Varying cities in the North

You haven't taken into account rerolls I don't think, but you're still proving my point exactly. Knights have 25 wounds, and they need to be down to 13 before they start to degrade. I made it out to be just over 11 damage with a Lieutenant and IH rerolls.

And that's not even a Castellan. Three turns to kill even a basic Knight is too many. Perhaps the Kheres Contemptor can chip in to get it down in two turns, but it doesn't look great.

   
Made in de
Rampaging Furioso Blood Angel Dreadnought






Germany

I havent taken re-rolls into account. Actually you need to kill a knight in one turn, because they can ignore damage for 1CP. So either kill it in one turn, or ignore it, or use other shenanigans against it. Like move blocking it with your stormtalons, which is still possible. If you go all in for anti knight you will not be able to fight hordes.
   
Made in gb
Fully-charged Electropriest






Varying cities in the North

Ah yes forgot about that strat. Thanks for your input here dude


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Thanks for your help everyone, I've edited the list. The biggest changes are a Stormtalon in for the Kheres Contemptor for Knight blocking efforts, correct points values, and other small bits. The Captain is a placeholder for the IH Iron Father, I assume he'll be around the 100 point mark tbh.

Battalion Detachment +5CP
HQ
Iron Father 110pts
Techmarine 45pts
- Boltgun, Chainsword, Servo-arm, (Warlord - Ironstone)

Troops
Scout Squad 55pts
Scout Squad 55pts
Scout Squad 55pts

Vanguard Detachment +1CP
HQ
Primaris Lieutenant 70pts
- Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle

Elites
Invictor Tactical Warsuit 131pts
- Fragstorm Grenade Launcher], Heavy bolter, Incendium cannon, 2x Ironhail Heavy Stubber
Invictor Tactical Warsuit 131pts
- Fragstorm Grenade Launcher], Heavy bolter, Incendium cannon, 2x Ironhail Heavy Stubber
Ironclad Dreadnought 131pts
- Dreadnought chainfist, Heavy flamer, Ironclad Assault Launchers, Dreadnought combat weapon w/Heavy Flamer

Spearhead Detachment +1CP
HQ
Techmarine 45pts
- Boltgun, Chainsword, Servo-arm

Heavy Support
Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought 168pts
- Two twin lascannons
Mortis Dreadnought 155pts
- Two twin lascannons
Thunderfire Cannon 92pts
Thunderfire Cannon 92pts

Flyer
Stormtalon Gunship 164pts
- Twin assault cannon, Two Heavy Bolters

1499

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2019/09/15 15:15:08


   
 
Forum Index » 40K Army Lists
Go to: