Nice work! It seems like you've resisted the urge to make anything terribly over the top. A few notes from someone whose knowledge of current marine rules is sketchy at best and whose GK
knowledge is even worse:
* Am I correct in understanding that these are new "free" rules? I get that the warlord traits and relics use up "slots," but the "Chapter Command" rules are basically just free CP
/bonus rules, right? If so, do you see a need to raise the points cost of GK
characters a bit to compensate?
Currently, the CP
upgrade is the most straight-forward way to implement the Character upgrades for GKs
. Points increase is a possibility, but while they are SMs
they are not close to as points efficient as Codex SM
characters are pretty much the back-bone of a GK
army, but even then, they are currently considered over-costed for what they do. Point changes will definitely require another layer of balancing after the 2021 points update is released.
* The Tides of the Warp, wasn't this ability formerly only available if your entire army was GK
? Am I overlooking (or imagining) that limitation?
It is the same system introduced at the end of 8Ed. Some of its wording is out-dated to the new 9Ed rules and is tweaked to erase confusion, while also bolstering some of it's current rules, which were hardly used due to the lackluster performances.
* Accession of Malediction; is the "Malediction" keyword a thing again and I've overlooked it? If not, you can probably drop the keyword here as you explicitly list the powers this rule impacts.
Malediction in 9Ed isn't a keyword per say. It used to be a term GW
used in 7Ed for Psychic powers that affected enemy units - opposite to "Blessings" when it was a psychic buff to friendly units. I use it as the title for the Trait, because if you gives you an idea of what the trait is about - before the rules that follow go into the details.
* Coordinator and Condemnor of Worlds; You phrase it as "each time" the bombardment strat is used but isn't that strat once per game? I may be mistaken.
Correct, it is a once per battle strat. In trying to keep with official GW
wording, they use the term "each time" for the Chief Apothecary WLT
when he uses the Combat Revival at 0 Command Points. For consistency I used the same wording. "Each time" here is still limited to once per battle.
* Psychic Enfeeblement; probably fine, but this is going to suck much more for your harlequin/daemon/drukhari opponents than, for instance, guard or marines.
Yeah, I understand - I've reduced it to just one phase instead eg. effects one shooting/fighting phase only.
* Prognostic Strike; being able to turn a 9" deepstrike charge into a 7" deepstrike charge for multiple units in an army with ton of deepstrike like GK
seems like it may be a smidge abusable. Is there something comparable available to other marines?
I've change the WLT
to add 1 to Charge rolls instead. I myself have lined up 5-6 GK
units in a turn ready for 9" charges - and ended up failing all but 1 charge (which is actually close to statistical), resulting in basically half my army being shot to bits in the following opponent's turn. Hopefully an 8" Charge is a nice balance between doable - but not reliable.
* Ieuneum Insis; might be fine, but definitely caught my eye. Am I correct in thinking this basically doubles the melee offense of the character wielding them? Are there other relics that double the offense of marine characters like this? (Specifically on things like captains rather than meh melee combatants like librarians.)
To my knowledge there isn't any SM
weapon relics with such an ability. Compared to other GK
melee relics, except for the Daemonhammer - the other modelled weapons come free / 0 points. For falchions, to equip the standard pair is 4 points (which is considered way over-costed for the normal +1A). I did crunch the numbers eg. vs. Primaris Gravis Captain (T5, 3+/4++) and it still does less damage than the other GK
Relic Falchion - 4.58 damage
Relic Sword - 5 damage
Relic Halberd - 5.19 damage
Relic Daemonhammer - 5.33 damage
So, I feel with any lesser stats and the initial 4pts cost, people won't really take it.
* Piercing Illumination; is that an automatic wound instead of or in addition to the normal wound? I know in some armies this would get wonky if there were weapons that had abilities that triggered on to-wound rolls. Example: sniper rifles can't do mortal wounds in addition to normal wounds on to-wound rolls of 6 if they never roll to-wound. I can't think of any GK
weapons with a rule like that though.
It's an auto-wound not an extra wound. It's fine I think, since no GK
weapons currently have and abilities that trigger on 6s to wound etc.
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!