Switch Theme:

Fallout Wasteland Warfare - Post your projects, games, ideas and discussions thread!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Got sucked into some video games and I don't multi-task very well so after a month of that I've gotten some stuff done for FWW.

With the update to Settlement mode going through approvals I wanted to actually have a settlement. So I've been working on the Plasticraft Hobo Jungle as the starting point. Well I got all those buildings done -- just need to do some interiors (as I like to do those) for me to call them done done but that's something I tend to do in bulk for lots of things at once and will come later.



A bunch more pics in the spoilers

Spoiler:








I also but up some crop planters. These are just O scale plants with balsa wood and some dirt flock.



I also printed up some Goose Hydra to annoy the Settlers. I've been working on a card for them but need to play around with it some.



That includes a Radgoose and Nukagoose




Lastly Heroforge is doing a STL sale, $4, so I'm currently printing out a few things that I've made over the past little while. This alien farmer is my favorite but I basically copied from a reddit thread and made a few small changes

https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D25309650/




A ghoul farmer
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D25309274/



Ghoul mechanic/fixer/biker. Maybe for some power armor/atom cats
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D25310401/


And this one I'm still working on which is a settler sweeping. I find all the NPCs that sweep in the Bethesda games funny as the buildings never look cleaned and have trash everywhere. So I wanted that for FWW.
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D25308358/


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/11/26 08:42:00


 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Saw someone do this on facebook and thought it was a good idea. I got some cork tiles with adhesive backing and stuck them to the paper mat in the starter box and then cut off the excess paper to make tiles for Into The Wasteland.



My issue with the game mode was always the awkward map layouts and trying to block off areas of a mat that shouldn't be played on. This, I think, is a much better method. The downside of the cork is it's expensive vs, say, vinyl tiles that you could use as the same type of backing. The upside is the cork doesn't slide around on my table like vinyl is so I don't mind the extra cost.
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

That's a really great idea, I might copy that.

Just add a bit more weight to the setup.

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Wish I could take credit for it. Great use of the paper mat.

I've been wanting to get into the ITWL more with the upcoming expansions that complement it and one thing I've noticed is it's hard to set up interesting challenges that change things up as you play so I got thinking about a card deck of "Hindrances" that you can draw from that adds a bit more complexity to the game play.

I also want these to be useable for those with the RPG expansion so I did a few sample layouts (excuse any typos as I was going more for what fits onto a card and still be readable) and curious what others think.

The first one is a Radiation pit that surrounds and objective which prevents you from getting close enough to search. I need to replace objective (text) with the searchable icon but overall a simple concept. It has rules for both the RPG and regular game on it.


Wanting to try something a bit different I made a different set that's a barricade that covers a full 1' side of a tile with a single locked door at a random edge of the wall. This one I broke out the RPG and FWW rules into two separate cards which gives me a bit more room to play with but is a bit more pain to organize. Maybe not the best example as they're almost the same.





Another option, which I haven't made yet, is set these up as full playing card size, like the unit cards, and put all the rules there. That would basically double the space I have to work with. Probably make a mock up after work, well later today since it's 1am here right now, of that concept as well.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Ok did a bit more with the layout. Turns out the Into the Wasteland Cards are standard size and not mini like the so much else of the game so once I got the dimensions correct there's a bit more to work with. I also used a reference card as there's also more room on these due to the header taking up less overall real-estate on the card. Photoshop is also a bad layout platform as these cards are the correct dimensions but since I used a higher dpi they're saved off larger for whatever reason (which I'm sure is perfectly reasonable for those that use it regularly). But they downscale really well and printing at 75% looks good and is the right size.





Overall I'm liking the look of the first card and think that's plenty of room but now I just need to maybe layout some more and see. If I end up actually following through with making all of these it might finally get me to write the card making webapp I've been debating as that will be less overall time on my end.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/02/04 10:01:07


 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

How is the solo / coop mode for the game? Yesterday I discovered that they've been doing minis for New Vegas, my favourite game from the franchise, so curious as to how this all plays and how much it would cost me to get started.
   
Made in no
Boom! Leman Russ Commander






Oslo Norway

It does feel like fallout, but I find it hard to learn because of the unnecessary heavy use of icons and range bands.

I have played through most of the intro scenarios, but it has stayed on the shelves since then because the rule set just didnt flow well for me.

   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





It's fun and has a great AI system compared to all the other systems I've tried but it's also a lot of setup (more like a complex boardgame ala Kingdom Death) and there's a lot of things to track as, for example, each unit has their own AI and there can also be custom AI rules for each scenario. So there's a trade off.

It feels like James, the original designer, always chose emulating the videogames in feel over streamlining. Having a such a streamlined version, similar to Elder Scrolls, and the more complex for those that want them would be a good thing as there are times I want to play but don't want to spend all the setup time (and I like to play their random map rules which adds more to setup time instead of the regular scenarios) which is why I never play Kingdom Death anymore.

In a lot of ways the phone app is kind of needed to play, thankfully the monthly sub is very cheap.

The range bands aren't really that bad (we're not talking about infinity here) and each color is just a 2" increment increase so it's easy to not use their rulers. However, Illumini is right that all the iconography that they use can be a turn off. It's really only bad on weapons where they basically only use icons to explain how the weapon works and it's a bit like hieroglyphs until you get use to them.

The best thing really is the RPG expansion as when you play like that it's really like an isometric RPG similar to FO1 and 2. You, obviously, get all the combat in the wargame but the RPG also adds stealth and other non-combat stuff in addition to leveling.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2022/03/01 20:35:19


 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

Thanks for the feedback so far, I've decided to order the starter set for now and will work things out from there. I do like what's been mentioned about the RPG expansion, it being similar to the first two games, another pair of favourites of mine. Haha, if it includes the survival skill, I'm in.

Are there any plans to also do stuff with those two games, or is it purely the Bethesda / Obsidian games that they're working with.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





They are, we've seen a sculpt of the master and Frank has been out for over a year, but you really won't get many sculpts from 1 & 2 any time soon for a few reasons:

1) It takes a lot of work with Besthsda to convert the small sprits into modern designs so non-unique (named) units will be less likely.
2) The units have to fit into the game somehow and not just be alternate sculpts with the same stats. How would East Coast supermutants play different then west coast and is that what the game needs? Same with Raiders.


Haha, if it includes the survival skill, I'm in


The FWW RPG doesn't sadly but I'm working on unofficial expansions and choose your own adventures for it. I've got templates all ready to do in homebrery that let you mimic Modiphis's PDFs in design as well as (some cards) via markdown. I'm currently waiting to see how Modiphius wants to handle this stuff. Technically there's not a whole lot they can really do legally as long as it's not for profit but I reached out to them about maybe some legal stuff that needs to be put in and they're figuring it all out.




   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

Less said about most games shat out by Bethesda the better in my opinion. I only consider F1, F2 and FNV canon personally.

But thanks for the food for thought, looking forward to having my starter in hand soon.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





I find myself continually frustrated by the models for Fallout: WW. I love how they look, but they have all the conversion-friendliness of resin collectable statuettes, and they don't scale with any of the rest of my post-apocalypse collection.

I find myself tempted to do the opposite of what I commonly see DIYers do with the game - use the rules, but sell off my minis and go my own way with 28mm conversions.
   
Made in no
Boom! Leman Russ Commander






Oslo Norway

The AI system is a good point. It is a lot better than for example the AI in "five parsecs". It really aids in the game feeling like the computer games do.

The RPG crossover also looks tempting.

   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

Starter box came in, some of the minis did not survive the trip, but mold lines and flash aside, not disappointed by the overall quality. Two of the three included books have also been shoved in rather questionably and are damaged as well, but when you can get the boxed set for half off, beggars can't be choosers.

Will have to read the tutorial and core rulebooks a fair few times to get to understand everything, things are not laid out very ideally, the tutorial booklet in particular is a bit of a mess.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





Psychopomp wrote:I find myself continually frustrated by the models for Fallout: WW. I love how they look, but they have all the conversion-friendliness of resin collectable statuettes, and they don't scale with any of the rest of my post-apocalypse collection.

I find myself tempted to do the opposite of what I commonly see DIYers do with the game - use the rules, but sell off my minis and go my own way with 28mm conversions.


Resin isn't very conversion friendly. There are some people I've seen do some great work but it requires some patience to cut things without breaking everything . Though the Starter PVCs are most commonly used for conversions.

A lot of people in the facebook group actually do their own conversions for the same reason you want to, they prefer a smaller scale, so you're not the only one out there.

Illumini wrote:The AI system is a good point. It is a lot better than for example the AI in "five parsecs". It really aids in the game feeling like the computer games do.

The RPG crossover also looks tempting.


Just a warning that the RPG expansion really is for running games with a GM. The AI does work well with it so during combat the GM can play a character as well. There is a bit of a choose your own adventure for it from modiphius but only 1/3 of the PDFs is out and not something I'd expect them to really focus on anytime soon as it was something to keep people engaged with the game during lockdowns and while the other 2 parts are wirtten they still have to go through Bethesda approvals and layout and Modipihus despite the first part releasing almost 15 months ago.

BrookM wrote:Starter box came in, some of the minis did not survive the trip, but mold lines and flash aside, not disappointed by the overall quality. Two of the three included books have also been shoved in rather questionably and are damaged as well, but when you can get the boxed set for half off, beggars can't be choosers.

Will have to read the tutorial and core rulebooks a fair few times to get to understand everything, things are not laid out very ideally, the tutorial booklet in particular is a bit of a mess.


If anything is damaged you can reach out the support@modiphus.com and they're generally pretty good about getting stuff sent out.

I agree with the tutorial being a bit meh. It's not unusable but for a game that really does have a lot of people new to wargaming buying, due to the license, you think there would be more effort there as that's part of a reason for using an existing property. Jon has stated recently that they actually have an introduction to the game and how to play website in the works but it's very slow going just due to other priorities. I wouldn't be surprised to see the fruits of that when they release the plastic kits and FO3 stuff next year as I think plastic Fallout Power Armor kits would be well received by the overall tabletop community for all sorts of games and bring some eyes to FWW.

I think the part that most people really struggle with is the weapon cards as some of that stuff gets really cryptic and even some of the well known playtesters of the game will debate what a card does when new ones come out.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2022/03/05 01:31:11


 
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






 BrookM wrote:
Will have to read the tutorial and core rulebooks a fair few times to get to understand everything, things are not laid out very ideally, the tutorial booklet in particular is a bit of a mess.


What worked for me was to read the core rules and just not bother with anything else at first. Then I set up a Settler and a Scavenger (just to use different unit cards) a distance from one another and let them punch each other. Then I added a simple melee weapon each, then a pistol and some radioactive barrels between them, just to get used to the rules.

In my opinion the difficulty of Wasteland Warfare is in the presentation and maybe the way the dice work. The core rules themselves should be easy and intuitive to anyone who's played 40k or a similar system. I found it to help to learn things incrementally to become familiar with the symbols and how to use the dice pool. Anything else, like scenarios, slotted in naturally after that.

That said, different people learn things differently, and in my case that means actually playing to wrap my head around how things work. Not sure if that helps you.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

The symbol salad on the cards is rather confusing, not having everything explained on the same page isn't helping things either I've been finding. The baseball bat weapon card is a great example of this, great shitballs on fire, that's a lot of symbols and info for such a simple melee weapon.

And yeah, I prefer to push models and chuck dice as well to learn the game mechanics, working with visuals is better for me too, just that this all is again, a bit of a mess for me to get into properly. Then again, I feel a bit spoiled by the First Strike and Recruit edition starters, which dumbed down things to such a degree that even someone like me could pick things up easily.

Mention of plastic power armour is ace though, but I'm guessing they're going with the uglies Bethesda created and not T51b's or F2's Enclave armour.
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






Yeah, the baseball bat card is a good example of how to cut things down in the beginning. Half of the symbols, the ones on the right, are for delivering a critical hit. It's not something you have to bother with initially. It becomes easier once you cut down the symbols by half. Then it just tells you to use a black and a yellow die, and each hit causes one physical damage. Not much need to worry about the effects at the bottom either until you actually roll two bottle symbols, and you can look stuff up then.

It is a lot of stuff to take in. There's no doubt about that. I've demoed the game and people found it easy enough to learn, but that required some work on my part. Without a solid learn to play guide from Modiphius it's just useful to have someone cut down the rules to the necessary core so the beginner doesn't have to worry about and deal with the mess of symbols while learning the basic rules. You'll probably be keeping the reference pages at the back of the rule book open for a good while even after you've got the core rules down. It really is just that much stuff.

T-51 power armor has a bit of history with Bethesda as well. While they made sure the Brotherhood employed T-45 and T-60 respectively as their standard gear in Fallout 3 and 4, T-51 prominently features in their games and marketing material. Modiphius also released resin T-51 and T-45 at the same time, and I'd be surprised if they somehow omitted T-51 when they release plastic versions. There's no logic to that.

Enclave armor from Fallout 2, as Monkeysloth has said, kind of suffers from doubling up on something that's already released. I'm much in the same boat with Raiders as I much prefer the outfits from Fallout 3 over Fallout 4, but we got the latter. Not much that can be done about that, unfortunately.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Geifer wrote:


Enclave armor from Fallout 2, as Monkeysloth has said, kind of suffers from doubling up on something that's already released. I'm much in the same boat with Raiders as I much prefer the outfits from Fallout 3 over Fallout 4, but we got the latter. Not much that can be done about that, unfortunately.


Enclave armor from Fallout 2 is the X0-1 in the series from FO4 onward. It's pretty much identical outside of a bit of fattening the helmet some so a head could actually fit inside it. I doubt you'll ever see the more cartoony look in miniature form as it's own thing for FWW as it would be way easier for modiphius to release resin helmets for the plastic kits then a whole kit by itself. Not sure if they'll do something like that but if they think it will be a good return on the effort they might.



I heavily suspect it will get a plastic kit as it and the t-51s alternate sculpts are some of the most requested things for the line on social media.

I'm also more of a Fallout 3 raider person then FO4 (I think I even like the brutalist designs of FO3 more then FO4 more retro-future style). Maybe we'll get a slavers box with a few and Eulogy Jones as named characters and support are the most likely way I see them adding things to factions from other games. The only other way I see them going back to older games is doing results every few years like Corvis Belli does with Infinity to keep distributors interested in stocking the line (and avoiding the Privateer Press sku bloat) but that has it's issues as while raiders and some of the other factions have lots to pull from a large number of other factions don't and Modiphius cannot just invent new redesigns for an IP they don't own.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2022/03/06 02:15:43


 
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






Yeah, a Paradise Falls expansion would be cool and a place for the Fallout 3 Raider outfits, although I seem to remember the slavers pretty much going with metal armor since they're rich and not just some trashy wastelanders. Modiphius might have to sneak them in for lower level guys. The Pitt could also serve that purpose and come with the added bonus of giving the Enslaved Tech some friends.

Not sure about New Vegas. The Raiders around Vegas also used those outfits, but I don't remember them having any real purpose or identity of their own that would make them appealing to release as a faction.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Geifer wrote:


Not sure about New Vegas. The Raiders around Vegas also used those outfits, but I don't remember them having any real purpose or identity of their own that would make them appealing to release as a faction.


And yet one of those is always someone's favorite faction. I've seen Boomers, kings, powder gangers and probably every other group in FONV and FO3 come up across reddit and facebook. Heck even Fallout Brotherhood of Steele, the red headed stepchild of the franchise, has its fans and people wanting very specific designs from that game made in mini form. Jon was right to start setting people's expectations on what they can reasonably release and keep the game healthy even if it caused some real anger when he did a few months ago (no one wants to see their favorite thing not get included but some people didn't take it well).

I think the most likely raider expansion, outside of Nuka World which we know we're getting eventually (probably wave 7 later this year), would be the Khans/Great Khans as I could see Modiphius making them a bit tougher then the current raider lineup which is all really low-cost swarm units and they can work from the NV designs which will be easier then pixels from FO1. Probably even make them a sub faction like they did Nightkin (which I was happy to see).

With the next 2 years already through basic planning and various stages of design/production I'll be curious to see how much they hop around different games in the series as FO4 just has it's expansions left to cover (though really only some raiders, Children of Atom and synth's left) as I have a feeling FO76 will get attention next year after FO3 or in 2 years as being gaining in popularity over the past 2 years due to all the changes Bethesda made and there's a lot of content from that game that will fit better into the wargame then from the older games. I especially expect to see that game's floaters sooner than later as it adds to the supermutant faction and they're a much more mini friendly design then the originals which I suspect would be very fiddly to put together with lots of small parts that would break easily.

I'm also hoping the 2d20 RPG gets some better support as it kind of had an anemic launch but is the most active Modiphius RPG on reddit but they've been super silent on the game (probably due to the delays all their games have been getting due to Bethesda wrapping up Starfield) as I'm hoping for some minis that wouldn't make sense for FWW but would an RPG like non-combatants and build your own PC plastic kits. Speaking of Starfield I would be surprised if Modiphius themselves were planning product releases for that game this year or early next as well.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2022/03/06 09:48:29


 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

Slowly working my way through the rules, decided to just pit Nora armed with a random ranged weapon against a brute with sledge, just to chuck dice and get to grips with everything combat related.

Only thing I couldn't find explained anywhere after several reads is the critical effect of the laser rifle, which aside from 4 energy damage, also gives you +1 nuka bottle, which I interpret as getting one free nuka symbol effect on top of the buffed damage?
   
Made in ch
Been Around the Block





 BrookM wrote:
Slowly working my way through the rules, decided to just pit Nora armed with a random ranged weapon against a brute with sledge, just to chuck dice and get to grips with everything combat related.

Only thing I couldn't find explained anywhere after several reads is the critical effect of the laser rifle, which aside from 4 energy damage, also gives you +1 nuka bottle, which I interpret as getting one free nuka symbol effect on top of the buffed damage?


That sounds about right, so 1 dmg will ignore armor. If you manage to roll a second bottle, the target starts burning.

As I’m pretty new to this forum, I find it much harder to learn than the FWW rules…
[Thumb - CAB69A37-C2BF-4A50-93E7-B48EBFC56696.jpeg]


   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






 Monkeysloth wrote:
And yet one of those is always someone's favorite faction. I've seen Boomers, kings, powder gangers and probably every other group in FONV and FO3 come up across reddit and facebook. Heck even Fallout Brotherhood of Steele, the red headed stepchild of the franchise, has its fans and people wanting very specific designs from that game made in mini form. Jon was right to start setting people's expectations on what they can reasonably release and keep the game healthy even if it caused some real anger when he did a few months ago (no one wants to see their favorite thing not get included but some people didn't take it well).


No doubt every faction has its fans. Far be it from me to deny people their preferences. I was more speaking of what Modiphius can realistically do with those faction, or what fans can realistically expect. Still waiting for Zetans myself, but, you know, they're not exactly a core faction.

Any fuss on social media has luckily passed me by. I do appreciate Modiphius being as open as they are about their processes. I like that about them. But of course it's never great news to find out your favorite character or faction won't be supported.

 Monkeysloth wrote:
With the next 2 years already through basic planning and various stages of design/production I'll be curious to see how much they hop around different games in the series as FO4 just has it's expansions left to cover (though really only some raiders, Children of Atom and synth's left) as I have a feeling FO76 will get attention next year after FO3 or in 2 years as being gaining in popularity over the past 2 years due to all the changes Bethesda made and there's a lot of content from that game that will fit better into the wargame then from the older games. I especially expect to see that game's floaters sooner than later as it adds to the supermutant faction and they're a much more mini friendly design then the originals which I suspect would be very fiddly to put together with lots of small parts that would break easily.


Wouldn't surprise me. I think Jon even mentioned (professionally) spending time in Fallout 76. And yeah, 76 probably has a lot to offer for adaptation to the tabletop since it's a Fallout theme park more than anything. Might not be a bad idea to be selective and a little conservative with that, though. Well, as far as I'm concerned anyway.

True about Floaters. And hey, maybe Modiphius will make a larger expansion for Super Mutants and we get Centaurs as well.

Mitnick wrote:
 BrookM wrote:
Slowly working my way through the rules, decided to just pit Nora armed with a random ranged weapon against a brute with sledge, just to chuck dice and get to grips with everything combat related.

Only thing I couldn't find explained anywhere after several reads is the critical effect of the laser rifle, which aside from 4 energy damage, also gives you +1 nuka bottle, which I interpret as getting one free nuka symbol effect on top of the buffed damage?


That sounds about right, so 1 dmg will ignore armor. If you manage to roll a second bottle, the target starts burning.


Yeah, a black symbol is the effect you gain. A white symbol is something you can spend your rolled symbols on for the black effect following it. Should be on p.20 of the rulebook (symbols and effects).

Also to be clear, you spend symbols to get effects. So if you add a second bottle from your dice roll to the one you have from your critical, you have the choice to buy the burning effect for two bottles, or two armor penetrations for a bottle each, or spend only one bottle for one armor penetration or none at all if you're feeling generous.

Mitnick wrote:
As I’m pretty new to this forum, I find it much harder to learn than the FWW rules…


Welcome.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

Cheers for the confirmation, both of you! I especially like that that two bottles means I can just do two armour penetrations instead of setting the target on fire even more. I did change out the "flip a luck token" mechanic for a simple D6 roll where odds = luck symbol, evens = notsolucky, never been a fan of flipping tokens.

Been doing more pointless rolling of the dice, quite like the laser rifle and as pointless as it is, shooting it at an advancing Deathclaw is a fun way to better memorize stuff. Getting steamrolled by it a lot, but both its attacks have interesting mechanics that I've been trying to understand, especially the opposed rolling. Str 11 versus Agi 7 seems like a contest that's unwinnable unless you roll an X.

Have decided to order the Enclave set (two PA's, two teslas and an officer) plus their cards, the raider cards pack and the box containing Nate, Codsworth and another Dogmeat, Amazon to the rescue.

And welcome aboard Mitnick.
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






Hey, someone's hooked!

Yeah, the laser rifle is pretty cool. It's got really good stats and has been universally useful when I used it (I usually go WYSIWYG so only a few times outside Brotherhood of Steel where I made some conversions).

I suspect the flipping tokens thing is just a way of using what's in the box since there is no simple D6 in it. I also use a die as I don't care for token flipping either. Modiphius actually made luck dice as part of their promotional efforts that you can see in Mitnick's picture above. I like that best.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





 Geifer wrote:

True about Floaters. And hey, maybe Modiphius will make a larger expansion for Super Mutants and we get Centaurs as well.



That reminds me that Centaurs were supposed to be in New Vegas, even have a weapon card for them, and got pulled right before production and Jon said we'd get them soon. I would have thought in Wave 6 would be when they were released, but obviously they're not, so wave 7 (which is where I'd expect them to be now)? If not I guess part of the FO3 release as pretty sure we'll get some minigun Supermutants but I cannot remember if I ever saw Centaurs in downtown DC? I think maybe in some building instances?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 BrookM wrote:
Cheers for the confirmation, both of you! I especially like that that two bottles means I can just do two armour penetrations instead of setting the target on fire even more. I did change out the "flip a luck token" mechanic for a simple D6 roll where odds = luck symbol, evens = notsolucky, never been a fan of flipping tokens.


There's actually official luck dice that are basically this (was a promo but I think it's a web exclusive now). So it's a common way people play.


Been doing more pointless rolling of the dice, quite like the laser rifle and as pointless as it is, shooting it at an advancing Deathclaw is a fun way to better memorize stuff. Getting steamrolled by it a lot, but both its attacks have interesting mechanics that I've been trying to understand, especially the opposed rolling. Str 11 versus Agi 7 seems like a contest that's unwinnable unless you roll an X.

Have decided to order the Enclave set (two PA's, two teslas and an officer) plus their cards, the raider cards pack and the box containing Nate, Codsworth and another Dogmeat, Amazon to the rescue.



The deathclaw as a few odd things for sure. The primed attack for one where after every action (you get 2) you put a token on the card and once you have 3 you can use the weapon. It's a way to limit how often something can be used. The hardest part is remembering to add all the tokens. The STR minus AGI thing is why people tend to not run the deathclaw as it's really not worth giving up a normal attack for the Crush but you have to take the crush. It's not even that high damage of an attack (just high armor penetration chance) so not sure why it has this odd rule (I don't think any other weapon has something like this) that makes it pretty useless against half the units in the game (though there are a good number with AGI of 4 or less including Deathclaws -- which is funny)


Since you're getting more into the game you should know about the free downloads page. All the cards for making a force are there for free. The Narrative stuff (AI, wasteland deck) are not as those "pay the bill" as we've been told. Also point value PDF, errata, and lists of what's in every card pack.

https://www.modiphius.net/pages/fallout-downloads

Also there's an app that you can grab that's licenses, but not made by modiphius, where you can buy the card packs (not recommended) or sub (recommended as it's very cheap this way) to get access to everything and it will help track games.


And welcome aboard Mitnick.


Indeed. Looking at your posts I'm similar to you. More of a solo and co-op tabletop gamer now days. Much easier to get the friends over if everyone can play (odd number) and casually stomping AI is just more our thing.

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at 2022/03/06 22:40:32


 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

 Geifer wrote:
Hey, someone's hooked!
Hah, it started with me ordering the X-01 set as a potential return to the hobby, then it snowballed from there when I saw the starter up for half price. If the New Vegas were more readily available here, I'd be a lost cause for sure.

 Monkeysloth wrote:
The deathclaw as a few odd things for sure. The primed attack for one where after every action (you get 2) you put a token on the card and once you have 3 you can use the weapon. It's a way to limit how often something can be used. The hardest part is remembering to add all the tokens. The STR minus AGI thing is why people tend to not run the deathclaw as it's really not worth giving up a normal attack for the Crush but you have to take the crush. It's not even that high damage of an attack (just high armor penetration chance) so not sure why it has this odd rule (I don't think any other weapon has something like this) that makes it pretty useless against half the units in the game (though there are a good number with AGI of 4 or less including Deathclaws -- which is funny)
Yeah, book keeping may be overdoing it a bit, but the primed attack is a bit of a bovver to keep an eye on all the time. Throwing your enemies also seems a bit pointless, unless you're dealing with more than one, but still I'd rather keep my enemies in melee range, them being stunned by it is already nice as is.

Cheers for the link (what's in which card pack is certainly helpful for future purchases, double cheers!) and I'll be skipping the app for now, not a big fan of subbing to apps for games, plus not like my phone can run those anyway.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Longtime Dakkanaut





I think it's the only weapon that uses throw instead of pushback which makes it even dumber. I don't think there's any extra damage or rules on "what happens if you hit other units" for it. It's a rule that's never been fully fleshed out. Technically It probably would trigger free attacks from surrounding units as the errata says "move" (as well as the deathclaw itself). Though I guess you can throw in any direction so there could be some fun fall damage there depending on the terrain.

Pushback (the black arrow) allows you to follow the moved unit as long as you stay in base contact basically giving you extra movement so it's super useful.

I actually decided to ask about the Deathclaw Crush and breaking engagement.

https://forums.modiphius.com/t/deathclaw-crush-and-breaking-engagements/17636

If it's ruled it does that could be pretty abusive as even the deathclaw would get a free attack caused by one of it's attacks but at the same time actually make the Deathclaw worth it's points.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2022/03/07 08:21:02


 
   
Made in de
Powerful Ushbati






 Monkeysloth wrote:
 Geifer wrote:

True about Floaters. And hey, maybe Modiphius will make a larger expansion for Super Mutants and we get Centaurs as well.



That reminds me that Centaurs were supposed to be in New Vegas, even have a weapon card for them, and got pulled right before production and Jon said we'd get them soon. I would have thought in Wave 6 would be when they were released, but obviously they're not, so wave 7 (which is where I'd expect them to be now)? If not I guess part of the FO3 release as pretty sure we'll get some minigun Supermutants but I cannot remember if I ever saw Centaurs in downtown DC? I think maybe in some building instances?


Good to know. I have yet to check out the New Vegas cards. I'm a bit behind on that.

There's a Centaur patrolling outside a ruin full of Super Mutants, coming down the Potomac not far from Project Purity. I must have killed the damn thing a hundred times or more since its blocking my preferred route to Rivet City and the Mall.

Nehekhara lives! Sort of!
Why is the rum always gone? 
   
 
Forum Index » Other Sci-Fi Miniatures Games
Go to: