A tutorial by Fifty
Based on this P&M blog post
I needed some roses for my Nighthaunt army. I did a lot of searching, including some green-stuffed roses and some cake-decoration methods, but nothing looked quite like I was hoping to achieve, so I developed this method from some of those sources and some ideas of my own.
I think the photos are generally fairly self-explanatory, so I will keep my commentary notes to a minimum.
If you have better wiki skills than me, please do make edits!
Remember to use water to stop anything sticking to your surface!
I used a bit of rod to roll this out, but a round pen would do the job
I used a sharp knife to peel my green stuff from the surface, then wrapped it carefully around the very thin (0.5mm?) plastic.
I used a sharp knife to make some petal shapes.
SLIGHTLY more green stuff for the next ball.
This is just the spare bits of green stuff from the triangles I cut out, used to give a bit of body to the rose.
I then wrapped the slightly bigger bit with triangles cut out all of the way around, and again used the knife to cut slightly o make petal shapes and tease out the tips of some petals.
I think this would be a very open rose, like a Eustacia Vye...
However, part of me does feel that particular rose is slightly over the top, with too many petals for tabletop miniatures.
I therefore did the same thing again with about half as much greenstuff. I kept the same width of greenstuff, and flattened it out far more, but used shorter bits, each therefore wrapped around fewer times...
And I feel this would probably look better at 28mm scale.
This, perhaps, is more like a Wildfire;
Both pics from https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/shop-onlinea store who I would thoroughly recommend for their quality of service and wonderful roses.