DakkaDakka - Warhammer 40000, Flames of War, Warmachine and Warhammer Forums
ForumGalleryArticlesVideoPodcastsHobby BlogsStore FinderPlayer FinderArmy PainterJoin Us!
Switch Theme:

Space marines-----without armor?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.
Made in us
[MOD]








Google has failed me. Does anyone have any suggestions for models of space marines-----without power armor? Like a barbarian, etc? Thanks!

Adepticon TT 2009---Best Heretical Force
Adepticon 2010---Best Appearance Warhammer Fantasy Warbands
Adepticon 2011---Best Team Display
 
   
Advert


Login or Register to make this and other promotional elements disappear from your dakka browsing.
Made in us
Thrall Wizard of Tzeentch





Do...space marines get out of there armor? I was always under the thought they did...but the 40k movie made me wonder...Since after a few marines got hurt..and they were being worked on...while they where still in there armor..
   
Made in us
Trustworthy Shas'vre





Ft. Leonard Wood Missouri

Yes Space Marines do get out of their armor for multiple reasons. Every time I've read about a marine out of armor they've mostly worn a tunic with their chapter color/emblem on it with combat fatigues and boots (albiet large fatigues and boots) or one other example he was shirtless but he was also training. There is also a picture of a marine out of armor in the SW codex.

 
   
Made in us
Long-Range Land Speeder Pilot





Colorado Springs CO USA

One of the compilations books Hero's or Legends of the Space Marines has a Marine out of armor at his temple and he is wearing very simple cloths, tunic and pants,

If not for the mediocre who would be great, and thank goodness for those who are just terrible they make even those who are mediocre look great

May the Sons of Dorn forever be vigilant  
   
Made in us
[MOD]








Well, I'm more interested in a model depicting a space marine out of armor...like imagine he's wounded in a medi-bed.

Adepticon TT 2009---Best Heretical Force
Adepticon 2010---Best Appearance Warhammer Fantasy Warbands
Adepticon 2011---Best Team Display
 
   
Made in us
Nigel Stillman





Seattle WA

Maybe your best bet would be to find a pic of one suiting up?

There is one I recall of a marine standing with a bolter and cables attached to his shoulders.


See more on Know Your Meme 
   
Made in au
Focused Fire Warrior




australia

i think they laugh , love and cry in their power armour

Moonblade cadre 3400 pts
24th Regiment of Tra 1800 pts
Laylith the whites host - High elves 3500 pts
Men of the holy shrine - Bretonnian 3200 pts
Scarsnick;s hoddies -Night gobbos 2100 pts
The guard of the east gate of Mordhiem - 3200pts 
   
Made in us
Stalwart Tribune





Michigan

Hello,
I vaguely recall a good pic of one in one of the Rogue trader supplements, it was the one describing the Harliquins and thier weapons and fields, It expained and showed how the black carpace was to work.

Regards,
Carl

No, spraying three colors on your minis does not count as painted!  
   
Made in us
Rampaging Reaver Titan Princeps





I think it has been written that "there is only war..." Thus SM surely always wear there armour...




 
   
Made in us
Long-Range Land Speeder Pilot






Space marines do get out of their armour. Uriel was out of his armour for most of the killing ground.


Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.


 
   
Made in us
Trustworthy Shas'vre





Ft. Leonard Wood Missouri

AgeOfEgos wrote:Well, I'm more interested in a model depicting a space marine out of armor...like imagine he's wounded in a medi-bed.


GW has no reason to make a model like that so it's up to you to make it. Hence our referances as to what marines wear when not in armor

 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Portland

AgeOfEgos wrote:Google has failed me. Does anyone have any suggestions for models of space marines-----without power armor? Like a barbarian, etc? Thanks!


AgeOfEgos, I don't think anyone here is going to answer your question. They all seem to intent on describing what a marine out of armor might look like over actually suggesting a model.

If you want to stay within the GW range you might try the plastic Catachans. I know, I know... but they are the right size an ddo have the bulk. Shave off the t-shirts and headbands and you have bulky warriors in fatigues and boots, which is pretty much what everyone is describing.

If you want to stray from GW you might try Reaper. Maybe this one: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/barbarian/latest/03461

 
   
Made in us
[MOD]








Warboss Imbad Ironskull wrote:
AgeOfEgos wrote:Well, I'm more interested in a model depicting a space marine out of armor...like imagine he's wounded in a medi-bed.


GW has no reason to make a model like that so it's up to you to make it. Hence our referances as to what marines wear when not in armor



I wasn't aware that GW doesn't make a model of a space marine out of their armor. I better start a thread asking for suggestions on alternative models that might look appropriate. Perhaps I should try the Painting and Modeling section?

Jake:

Yeah, that's the closest I've seen so far too. I'm thinking Catachan might be the only way to go.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2011/02/10 13:57:56


Adepticon TT 2009---Best Heretical Force
Adepticon 2010---Best Appearance Warhammer Fantasy Warbands
Adepticon 2011---Best Team Display
 
   
Made in us
Utilizing Careful Highlighting





Houston, TX

The only other thing I can think of is Fantasy marauders, but they have some different style costumes- might work for Space Wolves.

-James
 
   
Made in us
Automated Rubric Marine of Tzeentch






VA Beach

Space Marines rarely get out of armor, from what I've read. The only reason I've seen them out is that they were insanely injured and their armor was completely destroyed. Otherwise, maybe some guys do, but SM armor isn't really made to come off, so I think most guys keep it on most of the time.

Though the pretty much just look like very large men without it on.


Let the galaxy burn.

 
   
Made in us
Gor with Big Horns




Minnesota

Something like a scout without the shoulder pads would be what I would imagine. I am not very fluff savy with 40k, but both scouts and marines have the geneseed right? Are they the same minus armor types?

Ravenguard
Word Beares (last edition)
Beastmen
Vampire Counts (Last edition: Nechrarch)
Black Templars (In Armageddon)
Imperial Guard 
   
Made in gb
Lieutenant Colonel







I would look for a Barbarian torso and use either SM Scout legs or Catachan. Alternatively buy a Barbarian model and add a simple Tunic, like the Dark Angel ones....

Go on the website below and search for barbarians. replace the head and give him a Power Sword like he has just come out of a training cage = Awesome.


Search Arcane Miniatures.com http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/

Collecting Forge World 30k????? If you prefix any Thread Subject line on 30k or Pre-heresy or Horus Heresy with [30K] we can convince LEGO and the Admin team to create a 30K mini board if we can show there is enough interest! 
   
Made in dk
Sneaky Lictor





Aarhus, Denmark

*Makes one wonder about stuff like toilet breaks*

:: I'm not suffering from insanity; I'm enjoying every minute of it! ::
Akaean's Eldar Tactica: Walking the Path of the Eldar
Hulk's Tyranid Tactica:Tyranid Tactica and Mythbuster Living Tactica 
   
Made in gb
Pete Haines




Nottingham

Well, if your sculpting skills are up to scratch, you could go for something like:



But that's pretty advanced!
   
Made in us
Stormin' Stompa





Binghamton, NY

That reaper mini looks quite bulky, which works, but I'm leery of the scale. In my experience, Reaper minis are downright tiny compared to GW's ~28mm heroic scale. Even a hulk of a man like that isn't likely to measure up, if put side by side with a SM model.

The Dreadnote wrote:But the Emperor already has a shrine, in the form of your local Games Workshop. You honour him by sacrificing your money to the plastic effigies of his warriors. In time, your devotion will be rewarded with the gift of having even more effigies to worship.
 
   
Made in dk
Sneaky Lictor





Aarhus, Denmark

@GCMandrake
Wow! I just love the illuminating effects! And the blending is just made of win!

:: I'm not suffering from insanity; I'm enjoying every minute of it! ::
Akaean's Eldar Tactica: Walking the Path of the Eldar
Hulk's Tyranid Tactica:Tyranid Tactica and Mythbuster Living Tactica 
   
Made in gb
Pete Haines




Nottingham

Billinator wrote:@GCMandrake
Wow! I just love the illuminating effects! And the blending is just made of win!


By Rubén Martínez

Won the Spanish Slayer Sword 2010. - http://demonwinner.free.fr/spain/2010Madrid/slayer_sword.php?p=286
   
Made in gb
Paladin of the Wall






Wouldn't scouts look like marines (because they are not in power armour)
That's the only idea I can think of :(

thornfall alliance: 30pts bringing home the bacon
menoth: 134pts "burn heretics, BURN!" 
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob on Warbike with Klaw





St. Louis, MO

AgeOfEgos wrote:I wasn't aware that GW doesn't make a model of a space marine out of their armor. I better start a thread asking for suggestions on alternative models that might look appropriate. Perhaps I should try the Painting and Modeling section?


Yeah. You probably should've thought of that first, before you went posting these things willy-nilly and cluttering up the forums.


AgeOfEgos wrote:Jake:

Yeah, that's the closest I've seen so far too. I'm thinking Catachan might be the only way to go.


ZacktheChaosChild wrote:Space Marines rarely get out of armor, from what I've read. The only reason I've seen them out is that they were insanely injured and their armor was completely destroyed. Otherwise, maybe some guys do, but SM armor isn't really made to come off, so I think most guys keep it on most of the time.

Though the pretty much just look like very large men without it on.



Catachan seems too small to me. Like, WAY too small.

I can't get on their site from work, but heresy Miniatures as a cool barbarian guy that might work.

www.heresyminiatures.com

He's the one in this logo:


As I understand it, they have this guy in quite a number of poses.

Hope that helps.

Eric

Black Fiend wrote: Okay all the ChapterHouse Nazis to the right!! All the GW apologists to the far left. LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE !!!
The Green Git wrote: I'd like to cross section them and see if they have TFG rings, but that's probably illegal.
Polonius wrote: You have to love when the most clearly biased person in the room is claiming to be objective.
Greebynog wrote:Us brits have a sense of fair play and propriety that you colonial savages can only dream of.
Stelek wrote: I know you're afraid. I want you to be. Because you should be. I've got the humiliation wagon all set up for you to take a ride back to suck city.
Quote: LunaHound--- Why do people hate unpainted models? I mean is it lacking the realism to what we fantasize the plastic soldier men to be?
I just can't stand it when people have fun the wrong way. - Chongara
I do believe that the GW "moneysheep" is a dying breed, despite their bleats to the contrary. - AesSedai
You are a thief and a predator of the wargaming community, and i'll be damned if anyone says differently ever again on my watch in these forums. -MajorTom11 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut





North Wales

I quite like the idea of this, I've been putting together a Storm Wardens army kitbashed with some of the less furry space wolf stuff to make them look a little more celtic and barbarian-like. And now you've put the idea in my head, warhammer fantasy's empire flagellant warband would work quite well for non armoured SM's I think, just needs alot of greenstuffing and chopping.

 
   
Made in us
Trustworthy Shas'vre





Ft. Leonard Wood Missouri

AgeOfEgos wrote:
Warboss Imbad Ironskull wrote:
AgeOfEgos wrote:Well, I'm more interested in a model depicting a space marine out of armor...like imagine he's wounded in a medi-bed.


GW has no reason to make a model like that so it's up to you to make it. Hence our referances as to what marines wear when not in armor



I wasn't aware that GW doesn't make a model of a space marine out of their armor. I better start a thread asking for suggestions on alternative models that might look appropriate. Perhaps I should try the Painting and Modeling section?


Lets see just because no one has given you exactly what you wanted does not mean that people are not being helpfull. In order to determine what parts could be used to make a marine out of armor it's helpfull to know what one looks like. Now instead of being sarcastic how about you look up the images being mentioned so that you can look at which models could be converted to match.

 
   
Made in gb
Mutilatin' Mad Dok





Papua New Guinea

This might not be of much help to you as it's scratch built, but this is a simplistic unarmoured marine I made as part of a project I was working on a while back.

Out of armour:



In armour:



Pretty basic stuff but you get the gist.

Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Show me your god and I'll send you a warhead because my god's bigger than your god.
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Stirring oratory and tactical genius.






The command bunker next to the vox-caster.

AgeOfEgos wrote:Well, I'm more interested in a model depicting a space marine out of armor...like imagine he's wounded in a medi-bed.

Basically?

Even the most feral Chapters, like the Space Wolves, tend to wear very simplistic clothing when out of their armour.

If it were me, I'd look at the Jaffa from SG-1 for some ideas of how Marines would look outside of their power armour.

Stuff like a relatively heavy, simple robe bearing their Chapter insignia and an Aquila would be fantastic.
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob on Warbike with Klaw





St. Louis, MO

That's all well and good, guys, but that's not what he *wants*. He wants something else.
I think it's obvious that GW's okay with that. I mean, they gave a Golde Demon to a model whose every fiber goes against GW fluff.

The model GCMandrake linked above is off on a few points.
1) The Cigar. Really? I don't remember reading ANYTHING that had a cigar-chomping SM.
2) No... whatever the suit is called... that his armor hooks into
3) There's a machine putting the armor on him!

If they'll give that the nod with a Golden Demon, I think they'll be okay with AoE wanting to depict a half-naked one in the privacy of his own conversions.

Granted, they won't like the use of non GW models...

Eric

Black Fiend wrote: Okay all the ChapterHouse Nazis to the right!! All the GW apologists to the far left. LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE !!!
The Green Git wrote: I'd like to cross section them and see if they have TFG rings, but that's probably illegal.
Polonius wrote: You have to love when the most clearly biased person in the room is claiming to be objective.
Greebynog wrote:Us brits have a sense of fair play and propriety that you colonial savages can only dream of.
Stelek wrote: I know you're afraid. I want you to be. Because you should be. I've got the humiliation wagon all set up for you to take a ride back to suck city.
Quote: LunaHound--- Why do people hate unpainted models? I mean is it lacking the realism to what we fantasize the plastic soldier men to be?
I just can't stand it when people have fun the wrong way. - Chongara
I do believe that the GW "moneysheep" is a dying breed, despite their bleats to the contrary. - AesSedai
You are a thief and a predator of the wargaming community, and i'll be damned if anyone says differently ever again on my watch in these forums. -MajorTom11 
   
Made in us
Long-Range Land Speeder Pilot






Dont space marine have flat stomachs because of the extra bone and muscle?


Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.


 
   
 
Forum Index » Painting & Modeling
Go to:   

Dakka 5.42 - Privacy Policy - Legal Stuff - Forum Rules