Switch Theme:

Is Champions of Fenris the only competitive way to play Space Wolves?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert

Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.

Made in ca
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer

Ontario, Canada

Due to the force org, it seems like thats the best way to play the wolves.
what are your thoughts?

Blog For Average dudes, by an average dude: http://averagehobbyist.blogspot.ca

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

No, Grey Hunter Pod Wolves do real good.

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in ca
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer

Ontario, Canada

Anpu since your here, i got a question, what is the big deal with the void claw formation, i see it in a lot of lists floating around

Wolves for the Wolf God wrote:
Anpu since your here, i got a question, what is the big deal with the void claw formation, i see it in a lot of lists floating around

Mostly I think it comes from the fact you can Re-Roll both Reserves and Scatter as long as they are around.

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in au
Stealthy Space Wolves Scout

Sydney

I don't rate them.

- 10,000+ (since 1994)
- 5000 (since 1996)
Harlequins/Ynnari -2500
Empire - 3000 (Current build)
Dwarves - Old and desperately in need of updating

Made in us
Dakka Veteran

To be competitive or use the only thing space wolves have is to bring the CoF detachment. Bring a thunderlord then iron priests as your compulsory elites then attach to TWC units. Then possibly bring thunderstrike, but grey hunters took a nerf and you will have a tough time dealing with MCs, wolves do not have an effective way of dealing with them other than throwing expensive, but not as good models at them.

Made in ca
Dour Wolf Priest with Iron Wolf Amulet

Canada

I would say no. It might be the most optimized way to run a very heavy TWC-star list since they will get bumped up WS and you won't have to take troops, but it's not necessary to make a competitive list.

Made in pr
Longtime Dakkanaut

Rochester, MN

I could see it getting use at some tournaments, but it will be trumped by Drop Pod and TWC lists.

Made in us
Veteran Knight Baron in a Crusader

Drop pod melta with tigurius and grav cents in a fast attack pod is the most competitive way to play SW. Rune priest, 3x GH squads with 2 melta and CCW, WG Sgt with combi melta, SM tac squad with melta and Sgt with combi melta, tigurius, 3 grav cents with omni scope and a stormfang is how I play it.

Made in ca
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer

Ontario, Canada

I am yet to see a competitive space wolves list. Every time i watch a game it gets either whooped or they lose but its a close game.

Blog For Average dudes, by an average dude: http://averagehobbyist.blogspot.ca

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Wolves for the Wolf God wrote:
I am yet to see a competitive space wolves list. Every time i watch a game it gets either whooped or they lose but its a close game.

What armies are in your local Meta?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/11/20 00:02:53

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in ca
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer

Ontario, Canada

we got crons, screamer star, knights, guard, csm daemons herald spam , eldar , dark eldar

Blog For Average dudes, by an average dude: http://averagehobbyist.blogspot.ca

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Wolves for the Wolf God wrote:
we got crons, screamer star, knights, guard, csm daemons herald spam , eldar , dark eldar

To Quote Adam: There's your Problem!

Your Meta is not a MEQ-Friendly Environment. I take it no Marine Army does well?

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in ca
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer

Ontario, Canada

actually grey knights do, and space marines do well

Blog For Average dudes, by an average dude: http://averagehobbyist.blogspot.ca

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Wolves for the Wolf God wrote:
actually grey knights do, and space marines do well

Then then should do well then...
Going into Problem Solving Mode:
Are the Space Wolf Players running them as Assault Armies?
What is a typical List?
>TWC Heavy
>Pod List
>MSU

The #1 Issue I have seen is the Space Wolf Assault Army. Space Wolves are not an Assault Army, they are Mid Ranged Shooting Amy with Superior Counter Assault.

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in ca
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer

Ontario, Canada

i am the only wolf player, our other one doesn't play anymore.

Im currently running a thunder wolf star with grey hunters in pods. io don't know how to get the superior shooting though.
the lists just feel so lack luster

Blog For Average dudes, by an average dude: http://averagehobbyist.blogspot.ca

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Well a look at your list might help

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in ca
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer

Ontario, Canada

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/623801.page

Theres the link to my list

Blog For Average dudes, by an average dude: http://averagehobbyist.blogspot.ca

Made in us
Dakka Veteran

I would say your best bet would be to allie in some other armies. Wolves are decent when have allies, but in your meta they really just are not that good. Eldar will crush them in most cases even with drop podding and necrons are amazing this edition same with daemons. Knights will always be tough and do not play against deldar that much to have an opinion

Made in ca
Dour Wolf Priest with Iron Wolf Amulet

Canada

I have only lost 2 out of 11 games I've had with the new book so far (and one of those was in my first game where I ran my old list to see how effective it still was; the other was versus uber-competitive Serpent/Wraithknight spam). I definitely wouldn't say that the book is weak in my experience.

Made in ca
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer

Ontario, Canada

what list are you running that is doing that well andilus

Blog For Average dudes, by an average dude: http://averagehobbyist.blogspot.ca

Made in us
Dakka Veteran

Also who do you play against, what is your meta?

oz of the north wrote:
Also who do you play against, what is your meta?

yea i would also like to see what your meta is

Blog For Average dudes, by an average dude: http://averagehobbyist.blogspot.ca

Made in us
Dakka Veteran

My meta is lots of MCs and FMCs, usually nids or chaos with a few eldar players thrown in. Also a few guard and grey knights. Though no imperial knights unless a tournament.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2014/11/20 15:09:29

Made in us
Grim Rune Priest in the Eye of the Storm

Riverside CA

Well my Meta is Marines, Orks, Marines, Guard, Orks, Marines, and Chaos Marines. We do have an occasional Dark Eldar Player with a 750 point force and about 350 points of allied Sister from time to time. I am also working on a Tau Force.

We are mostly "Casual/Fluffy" Players, though fro time to time we bring a "Ultra-Competitive List" out.

Space Wolf Player Since 1989
My First Impression Threads:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/727226.page;jsessionid=3BCA26863DCC17CF82F647B2839DA6E5

I am a Furry that plays with little Toy Soldiers; if you are taking me too seriously I am not the only one with Issues.

IEGA Web Site”: http://www.meetup.com/IEGA-InlandEmpireGamersAssociation/

Made in ca
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer

Ontario, Canada

We got guys that travel to the LVO and NOVA open, so its very much a competitive play to win meta, that ebign said, we all get a long and laugh and joke and chirp at each other while we play (and were extremely new player friendly) but its very much a play to win meta.

oz of the north wrote:
Also who do you play against, what is your meta?

yea i would also like to see what your meta is

I've mostly been using my tournament list. I nearly tabled a Farsight Enclaves Triptide list with it, and have been very successful against other semi-competitive Space Marines, Tau and Necrons lists thus far. My meta generally doesn't go all out on fortifications, super heavies and allies though, so that might skew the results somewhat (but then again, you could take all that as well to compensate, especially since this is only 1500pts). I'm planning on stripping down the RPs, ditching the Skyclaws and putting in a pair of TWC Iron Priests though.

HQ
Rune Priest (ML2, Runic Axe, Psychic Hood)
Rune Priest (ML2, Runic Stave)

TROOPS
5x Grey Hunters (Meltagun, Rhino)
5x Grey Hunters (Meltagun, Rhino)
5x Grey Hunters (Meltagun, Rhino)
5x Grey Hunters (Plasmagun, Rhino)
5x Grey Hunters (Plasmagun, Rhino)

FAST ATTACK
3x TWC (WC/SS, TH/SS, CCW/SS)
3x TWC (PF/BP, 2x CCW/SS)
5x Skyclaws (2x Meltagun)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Vindicator (Storm Bolter)
Vindicator (Storm Bolter)

TOTAL: 1500pts

Made in us
Daemonic Dreadnought

Eye of Terror

Wolves for the Wolf God wrote:
I am yet to see a competitive space wolves list. Every time i watch a game it gets either whooped or they lose but its a close game.

Same here. I have not seen a Space Wolves army win with the current Codex. Haven't seen too many games, but it's always very close.

Made in ca
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer

Ontario, Canada

If i may ask, why do you not have a shield on the fist? would you not want him to be as safe as possible?

Blog For Average dudes, by an average dude: http://averagehobbyist.blogspot.ca

Made in ca
Dour Wolf Priest with Iron Wolf Amulet

Canada

Wolves for the Wolf God wrote:
If i may ask, why do you not have a shield on the fist? would you not want him to be as safe as possible?

It was mostly for cost cutting, but he's also the sergeant so he can just LOS it if necessary. With decent positioning it actually hasn't caused me any problems yet.

Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: