Switch Theme:

Many topics, a thread continued.  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Foul Dwimmerlaik





Minneapolis, MN

I will take the initiative to continue a thread that Drake Marcus closed.
www.dakkadakka.com/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/8/postid/109337/view/topic/Default.aspx

The reason why I am continuing this thread? Because I believe Drake Marcus closed the thread for untrue reasons. The reasons sited as "personal attacks". What chuckyhol said had nothing to do being against dakka forum rules and as a MOD he should know that. Being polite goes only so far. When money is at stake, the gloves slide off more freely. Especially when a business is using what is essentially a "show and tell" forum to advertise their work. This is breaking rule #3 of forum posting rules in itself.

BTP was taking care of its business defending itself quite well before intervention. As a business, it has to take criticism, and the harsher stuff should be reserved for pm's. And if it was BTP's pleas for thread closure, then they shouldnt display their models in a forum where we critique such things. Stick to banner ads. Just because BTP pays for advertsining space does not entitle them to any better treatment. I have found no cause for censorship in the previous thread.

Now that I am finished giving my reasons for starting a new thread based on a previous subject, back to the subject at hand.

I have seen some fabulous minis come out of BTP. Some seriously good jobs. But those that I am giving accolades to arent the ones who use super secret dip/glaze/wash/ whatever. I too feel the price is somewhat high in comparison with alot of the competition I have seen who can do a better job. One must keep in mind that BTP is a company however. Utilizing a fulltime staff. This isnt cheap. I ran for a short time a painting business in corpus christi texas called "5th Paradox studio" and I can tell you it is a nightmare keeping all things in line while trying to charge the most reasonable rate possible. But fair pricing is subjective. I believe BTP is still finding that delicate, ever changing balance.

I was in the market recently for a painting service and browsed through BTP examples. Some of what I saw was impressive, and some others I was not particularly impressed with. The reason why I did not choose to patronize their services was because I was afraid that their quality is not consistent. I dont want to be one of the orders who doesnt get what I feel to be worth the money I paid.

I feel the glazing isnt worth the money requested personally, but it does indeed look good. It could be improved, but then again, it isnt my commision at stake so I dont really care too deeply.

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





this really doesn't belong here, start this crap somewhere else.. I don't like how BTP paints more than anyone else out there, but they have a right to run thier business how they see fit and if you don't like them, don't buy from them. But this is a modelling forum, and personal posts need to go elsewhere

Golden Demon standard?? I can barely paint Great Unclean One standard! 
   
Made in us
40kenthus






Yoor Speeshawl too Gawd!

So if I posted a bunch of miniatures for sale and advertised my services in a modeling forum put on airs that I am more intelligent because I call people Rubenesque instead of Fat you have no right to get angry? Personally I could care less what that gentleman does and I hope he does well. However do not come on a public forum and belittle our intelligence by saying a duck is a whale then calling us stupid for not going along with his word games.

Only now do I realize how much I prefer Pete Haines' "misprints" to Gav Thorpe's "brainfarts." :Abadabadoobaddon 
   
Made in us
Clousseau





Wilmington DE

Posted By 2.0 on 10/08/2006 11:49 AM
this really doesn't belong here, start this crap somewhere else.. I don't like how BTP paints more than anyone else out there, but they have a right to run thier business how they see fit and if you don't like them, don't buy from them. But this is a modelling forum, and personal posts need to go elsewhere
I'm sorry, but Hellfury's comments weren't 'crap'. They were an objective and balanced response to both the previous thread (now closed) and the miniatures in question, as well as said painters' business practices. All of those are fair subject for polite conversation, especially when it comes to a business; whether that business is a restaurant or sells computers or paints figures. It's in the modelling forum because that's the subject: the quality of the figures for the price. I suppose it could have gone in 'swap shop' or 'discussions' or even '40k YMDC' if we were feeling dadaesque, but Modelling works.

But you're right; if we don't like what we see, we shouldn't buy the product. And if you don't want to talk about ithis subject, don't read or contribute to this thread.

Guinness: for those who are men of the cloth and football fans, but not necessarily in that order.

I think the lesson here is the best way to enjoy GW's games is to not use any of their rules.--Crimson Devil 
   
Made in us
Banelord Titan Princeps of Khorne






Telling us that "if you can't tell the difference then I can't help you." is hardly a way to endear yourself to potential customers. That basically means, you're too stupid to know etc...

Anyway, I offered to put up or shut up at the St. Louis Mills GW, but I was declined because "my mind was already made up."

I guess that means that my further promotion of the company through word of mouth ends right here, because I don't have anything positive to say about Blue Table at all. As referenced here, they definetely don't show any respect to the customer at all. Thats hardly a way to run a business I would think, but to each their own.

Veriamp wrote:I have emerged from my lurking to say one thing. When Mat taught the Necrons to feel, he taught me to love.

Whitedragon Paints! http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/613745.page 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut



California

This thread is unneccesary.

Drake_ Marcus shut the old one for a reason.

BTP contributes $120 a year to the site, so if nothing negative is able to be said about it in order to get the dakkadakka we all know and love, so be it.

Chuck

"I know what hearsay is, I do not know what a federal librarian is as I am not American and to me a librarian is a person who helps you find books and then returns them back to their shelves or stacks at night (so your credentials do not awe me, and do not impress me" -
IG fan 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Gun Mage






New Hampshire, USA

People are free to make comments about services they've received. I don't care if the service is an advertiser here or not.

However:

1) This is really he-said she-said right now. "You dip" "No we don't" "Yes you do".

2) I have dipped models myself before, I don't think BTP dips.

3) So far, all those attacking BTP have been the same voices, and suprisingly, they are not actual BTP customers. I'd much rather hear from folks who've had work done. What did you think?

I"m moving this thread to Discussions, as it's nothing to do with modeling.

 
   
Made in us
Been Around the Block




Hey,



> People are free to make comments about services they've received.

I don't care if the service is an advertiser here or not.



I didn't read the other thread, but it sounds like a doozie.


I agree that product reviews should be based on firsthand appraisal. It's just that -



> if nothing negative is able to be said...in order to get the dakkadakka we all know and love, so be it



Reads like 'censorship is the price we all pay for seeing banner ads on Dakka'.



Say it ain't so, Russ.



Playa
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Getting my broom incase there is shenanigans.

My question is why is BTP's PR guy in St. Louis, and their studio is in Spanish Fork, Ut?


 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




Spanish Fork? Thats not too far away from where I live in Magna. Somebody didn't like their figs eh? I'll check the other thread.
   
Made in lk
Dakka Veteran





Sri Lanka


As far as army painters are concerned:

Fastest turn around, Blue Table Painting.
Average $5-$6 per mini.

Best quality, Dragon Painting Service
http://www.dragonpaintingservice.com
Average $6 per mini. Their Ebay stuff is wild.

Best prices, paintedfigs.com (ahem, ahem)
http://www.paintedfigs.com
Average $3 per mini.

Best historicals, Fernando Enterprises
www.miniaturelovers.com
Prices vary. Oldest and largest miniature painting service in the world (35 painters, plus support staff)

Best Spin-the-Wheel-o-Fate
www.bartertown.com
You can get "convertions!"

Highest satisfaction.
You.
Priceless.

Don't get hung up on the weaknesses, look at the strengths and decide accordingly.


   
Made in lk
Dakka Veteran





Sri Lanka

Posted By Playa on 10/08/2006 9:24 PM


Reads like 'censorship is the price we all pay for seeing banner ads on Dakka'.



Say it ain't so, Russ.



Playa

Um, he did.

   
Made in us
[MOD]
Madrak Ironhide







Posted By pnweerar on 10/08/2006 11:21 PM



Highest satisfaction.
You.
Priceless.


I bet you say that to all the altar boys.

The entire argument mystifies me. But the thread lock mystifies me even
more. I'm one of those who could care less if Blue Table took your miniatures
to the "painting" room and "highlighted" the figs with white streaks. They're
your miniatures, pay what you want.

But if people want to discuss method then go ahead and do so. They have
the blue table phone number on a post somewhere if you want to talk to
them in person about it. The thread wasn't getting ugly (or at least not yet)
and mods/admins could always edit posts so that people sound stupider
than they already are (we do this all the time in the Wasteland. I like to think
of it as "translation" . So Hellfury can bring it up for discussion if he likes.

If you want the thread to die, ignore it or alert Russ. Posting in a thread
saying it doesn't exist just bumps it up as the newest thread. Yay! You
just made the conversation more visible!

DR:70+S+G-MB-I+Pwmhd05#+D++A+++/aWD100R++T(S)DM+++
Get your own Dakka Code!

"...he could never understand the sense of a contest in which the two adversaries agreed upon the rules." Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude 
   
Made in us
Hardened Veteran Guardsman




Illinois

I'm a college student who does commision painting as a pretty much full-time job. I started in the business end of painting my freshman year of high school. After being on the other side of the hobby for so long I find any discussion of a "studio" or other similar painting service extremely interesting. I think the methods, business practices, and end results of any painting service should be able to be freely discussed. I would love to know the businesss model and actual numbers are for such a studio that employs a full-times staff. However I have done the dip and I know exactly what it looks like...
   
Made in us
Plastictrees



Amongst the Stars, In the Night

I'm personally not convinced that those aren't dipped figures. If not litterally dipped, then painted on. Dipping, after all, is but a glazing technique stripped to the minimum of steps. The pics of the figures bear this out as the glazes are all uniform in color regardless what the base coat is.

Mind you, I don't think there is anything wrong with "dipping", it produces good tabletop results with a minimum of effort. What I think what rubs people wrong is calling it some super-secret "glazing" technique when said technique is apparent. Truth in advertising and all that.

OT Zone: A More Wretched Hive of Scum and Villany
The Loyal Slave learns to Love the Lash! 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Tilter at Windmills






Manchester, NH

Nyarly, have you seen any of the figures in person? Have you been a customer? It's a fair comment to say "from the photos, their glazing technique looks a lot like dipping" if that's your opinion, but it's also fair for us to give a bit more credence to the opinions of people who've seen them personally. If it doesn't come across in the photos taken so far, perhaps they'll take some better photos, which is a win for all of us.

Adepticon 2015: Team Tourney Best Imperial Team- Team Ironguts, Adepticon 2014: Team Tourney 6th/120, Best Imperial Team- Cold Steel Mercs 2, 40k Championship Qualifier ~25/226
More 2010-2014 GT/Major RTT Record (W/L/D) -- CSM: 78-20-9 // SW: 8-1-2 (Golden Ticket with SW), BA: 29-9-4 6th Ed GT & RTT Record (W/L/D) -- CSM: 36-12-2 // BA: 11-4-1 // SW: 1-1-1
DT:70S++++G(FAQ)M++B++I+Pw40k99#+D+++A+++/sWD105R+++T(T)DM+++++
A better way to score Sportsmanship in tournaments
The 40K Rulebook & Codex FAQs. You should have these bookmarked if you play this game.
The Dakka Dakka Forum Rules You agreed to abide by these when you signed up.

Maelstrom's Edge! 
   
Made in us
Plastictrees



Amongst the Stars, In the Night

But that's just it, nobody who has seen them personally (and isn't a BTP employee/spokesperson) has said anything. I also find suspicious that when an offer was withdrawn for someone independant of BTP to look at the figs. Why hide the work? I would like to see better (larger) photos, and I'd definitely like to hear from someone that has seen the figures and is independant of BTP.

Mind you, I'm not saying their stuff is bad. They are solid tabletop quality figures. They're not going to win any painting contests, but they're definitely not going to blind anyone with a jarringly bad paintjob either. If I had to make an educated guess, they're not using a traditional "dipping" formula (ie: Minwax Polyshades or similar), but are batch mixing magic wash cut with Tamiya flat base and one or two coating figs with it by brush. Or it could even be Minwax (they have 60 colors available now) with a couple matte coats on top.

Regardless, even if they are dipped, all that really matters is if the customer is satisfied with the product they paid for. If their customers are happy, then it's all a wash.

OT Zone: A More Wretched Hive of Scum and Villany
The Loyal Slave learns to Love the Lash! 
   
Made in us
Banelord Titan Princeps of Khorne






For those that skimmed over about the "in person" thing.

Magical Memories offered to show me some of the figures in person, but then later retracted because he thought my views too closed minded.

If the figures truly ARE wonderful, don't you think they would want to make me PUT up or shut up? Then I could be singing their praises for real. Right?

As nyarly said, highly suspect.

Veriamp wrote:I have emerged from my lurking to say one thing. When Mat taught the Necrons to feel, he taught me to love.

Whitedragon Paints! http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/613745.page 
   
Made in us
Hardened Veteran Guardsman




Illinois

From the Blue Table Website:

Blue Table's technique involves traditional methods as well as a method called "glazing". Glazes are made from durable, model-friendly materials that are applied in multiple layers give a smooth, shaded effect. This is NOT the same as "dipping" (which uses floor wax over the whole model). Glazes rely on high quality paint and inks to apply color. Your models will be less likely to wear or chip.

I was under the impression that dipping was done with wood stain. Are they confusing this with Future floor wax? Future IS used with inks to make glazes. Perhaps changing the definition of what dipping is makes them feel better. I think it's funny that they feel they need to make that statement in the first place. Could these "durable, model friendly materials" be a high-tech space-age formula of stain and polyurethane made by the good people at min wax?
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Boston MA

I've seen them... I was part of the crew from Atlanta that was at Adepticon last year.   Most of the armies (not all) from Team FN Kai Gun and No FN KAi Gun were BTP products.  Our centerpiece was a BTP product.

I personally own zero BTP painted armies.  I do own a Paintedfigs.com army (and highly recommend them, though that's a seperate topic).  I've played with and against BTP paint jobs a lot.  Here's my opinion after handling numerous figures of theirs...

It looks a little like dipping (Shocker!) but it isn't.  Essentially they glaze the figures down to handle highlighting and give them a fast quick paint job.   I've seen their results on Dark Eldar, NIght Lords, Nurgle, Eldar, Iron Warriors, Thousand Sons, Word Bearers, some Imperial Guard, and probably some other stuff I can't remember.

Sometimes, it looks really really good.  Sometimes... it's kind of meh.  It really comes down to personal preference.  Overall, I've never seen a BTP army I didn't like.  Not every one is going to win a Golden Demon (obviously), but they'll all do well on an appearance scoring at an RTT type event.  Most of the time your opponents will look across the table and say "Man, nice looking army".  I like their style, but choose not to pay their prices.  That's a personal decision.

The painting purists will snarl their noses if they look closely at a figure.  The style is what it is... if you want a good looking army, painted FAST (Blue Table really does deliver quickly), and you don't expect Golden Demon quality, then they're a great company.  If you want Golden Demon... look elsewhere...

Again... you'll either love or hate it. 

Thanks,

Brad Wood
Table One Gaming
Atlanta, GA

Thunderjaw
NATO - Dorkamorka - Boston

DT:70+S+++G+++MB+I++Pw40k89+D++A+++/fR+DM++ 
   
Made in us
Rogue Daemonhunter fueled by Chaos






Macon, GA

A few thoughts:

It's a pet peeve when anybody accuses a private entity of censorship.  Dakka is a private interest, and can regulate the business whithin in as it sees fit.  You can accuse them of stifiling free expression, or even hiding the truth, but censorship is the role of the state, not an enterprise.

Keep in mind, that the Dakka rules exhort us to "to be polite"  This is vague, of course, and seems to be sporadically enforced.  While it may appear, to the casual observer, unusual that the right to lock threads be used when the thread is critical of a sponsor; it is still the right of the owner and his agents to enforce their rules.

Finally, this is a debate on nothing.  BTP is going to stand by their claim of glazing, and no amount of evidence will sway the poster who claims it's dipped.  While normally such debates are fine, they are in effect becoming libelous, and since BTP is a sponsor, I think it's Dakka's duty to stand up for their sponsors.

Obviously, there were overreactions on both sides.  But let's not make this out to be the actions of Big Brother when Dakka is merely doing what any business should do.

My Painted Armies
: Co. B, 37th Praetorian IG: 21,000pts
KOW Ogres: 4500 points
Loyalist Emperor's Children: 2500 points 
   
Made in us
Banelord Titan Princeps of Khorne






Your argument is bunk polonius.

Dakka is no longer a business, just a message board. Besides if I was a Dakka Sponsor, and my business was entitled "BABY KILLERS ARE US" and someone said baby killing was wrong, you would be singing a different tune about Dakka defending me.

There is no debate. We claim the pictures look like crap. (Which is our right) They claim they are not. I have been invited to see the stuff in person, but then declined. Apparently they don't really care about expanding their business all that badly.

Veriamp wrote:I have emerged from my lurking to say one thing. When Mat taught the Necrons to feel, he taught me to love.

Whitedragon Paints! http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/613745.page 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
The Tyranny of Evil Men




Los Angeles

Posted By whitedragon on 10/11/2006 5:57 PM

Dakka is no longer a business, just a message board.


"The last known instance of common sense happened at a GT. A player tried to use the 'common sense' argument vs. Mauleed to justify his turbo-boosted bikes getting a saving throw vs. Psycannons. The player's resulting psychic death scream erased common sense from the minds of 40k players everywhere. " - Ozymandias 
   
Made in us
Rogue Daemonhunter fueled by Chaos






Macon, GA

I thought that Dakka was a firm of some sort, my apologies if I was wrong. Dakka is still private, in the sense that it's owned by one or more individuals, not the state. Since the owner sells advertising as well as deluxe memberships, it seems reasonable to classify it as some sort of enterprise.

As for your argument that I wouldn't support Dakka defending their sponsors if they were "baby killers are us," it's a bit spurious. Assuming the sponsors were actually engaged in the kililng of infants, that would be illegal. If Dakka protected you, I'd be a little concered, especially since I enjoy this site and I doubt it'll be maintained from prison. I think you raise an interesting point, however, in that there are protests against enterprises that are protected speech. Since it's possible to debate Dakka on many other web forums, I think it unlikely that Dakka's squashing of debate on baby killing would be wrong.

My point on censorship is mostly a personal annoyance, but there is a common and persistant misconception, especially in the US, about what their "right" to speech entails. The right to speech may not be abridged by the laws of the US or any of it's states, but a property owner has the right to limit the speech of those on their property. You have every right to claim that the paint job is poor. Dakka simply has the competing, and stronger, right to limit or ban such speech on their property. Whether they should or not is a matter of ethics, not of "rights."

Your admission that there is no debate is a correct one, simply because there are few facts and plenty of opinion. I agree that the photo appears to be dipped, but since I'm not an expert on dipping or glazing I can't readily contribute. And I think that is why the thread was locked, as you pointed out.

As for Blue Table expanding their business, I think you've stumbled on the actual issue here. If Blue Table is gaining their new business though false advertising, by claiming to use a technique that they do not, then there is a legitmate concern. Like all accusations, this one requires some proof, mostly in the form of dissatisfied costumers. I think that BTP understands their market really well: gamers who want a well painted army quickly and professionally. Given that such an accusation is effectively impossible to prove outside of the courts, I think Dakka was within it's rights to simply end discussion, and stop the possible defamation of one of its sponsors.


My Painted Armies
: Co. B, 37th Praetorian IG: 21,000pts
KOW Ogres: 4500 points
Loyalist Emperor's Children: 2500 points 
   
Made in de
Rampaging Carnifex






Franconia

But then with a good reason.
"These are personal attacks!" BAM! Closed.
Leave people like: " Hey wait a sec that weren't..."
"Yes they were! Nothing to see here please go on posting."

To say this "You dip!", "No we don't!", "Yes you do!", "No!" never comes to an end is a much better explanation to close that thread.

For the rest I'm with Hellfury.

I know when it is closing time. - Rascal Mod

"Some people measure common sense with a ruler others with a potato."- Making Money Terry Pratchett
"what's with all the hate go paint something you lazy bastards" - NAVARRO
"You don't need pants for the victory dance." -BAWTRM
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Gun Mage






New Hampshire, USA

A few quick points for thought:

1.     If Dakka censors based on being critical of an advertiser, then why is this thread still open?

2.     If Dakka is not a business, then what is that little "Copyright 1997-2006 by Brok and Lok, LLC" thingy in the corner of each web page?

3.     "False Advertising?" Here's my problem with this whole "BTP misrepresents their product" issue:

BTP displays HUNDREDS of pictures on their site of past projects.  If you order something from them, and they charge you what they quoted, and you get it in a reasonable amount of time, and it looks like the other work they've presented on their website... well ... What's the problem? 

The "personal attacks" issue is because there are a few determined posters here that consistently attack them with no real experience.  Our thread here shows that everyone who has seen their stuff up close says "the army looks good on the table, and they get it done fast."

I can't figure out the problem. 

Why do I stick up for them?  I stick up for them for two reasons:

1.     They support us, so I support them ... But Dakka doesn't just accept any old advertiser.  We do a bit of research.  BTP has never been accused of killing babies.  Nor do they have any complaints filed against them with the BBB to the best of my knowledge.  If you read Dakka's advertising policies you'll see that we don't accept advertising for certain types of businesses.  Baby killing goes without saying.

2.     They are a small business, run by people with families.  I've run a small business.  I know what it takes.  I don't like people who try to bring down someone who works hard to make a living at what he/she likes to do.  If you've got a valid issue, air it, and I'm sure BTP will try to fix it, but if you are just attacking because you feel like it... stop.  You are only making yourself look foolish, and possibly injuring the reputation of a honest businessman trying to make a buck doing what he loves.


 
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Madrak Ironhide







In response to Russ:

1. What about baby feasting? Advertising, here we come...

2. I think whitedragon secretly lusts for Magickal Memories. He's now both president and
grand poobah of the Maul Ed fan club as well as Blue Table's Number One Fan. Too bad
we all know what happened to Paul Sheldon and his number one fan.

3. I have no third point.

DR:70+S+G-MB-I+Pwmhd05#+D++A+++/aWD100R++T(S)DM+++
Get your own Dakka Code!

"...he could never understand the sense of a contest in which the two adversaries agreed upon the rules." Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude 
   
Made in lk
Dakka Veteran





Sri Lanka

Ah Malfred, You get a hard core point.

Just cause.

   
Made in us
Banelord Titan Princeps of Khorne






HAHAHA derflaM, you have finally ousted me! And soon I will be living near baltimore, even closer to my Fan Club Celebrity!

As for Magickal Mem, I really wanted to see the figs in person, but until that happens, I remain unconvinced.

And for the record, we have had much more venomous debates on YMDC.

Veriamp wrote:I have emerged from my lurking to say one thing. When Mat taught the Necrons to feel, he taught me to love.

Whitedragon Paints! http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/613745.page 
   
Made in gb
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard




The drinking halls of Fenris or South London as its sometimes called

ok what the hell is dipping and glazing? i dont know what that is someone pls explain. Stop cussing small independent painters and go burn some GW stores, they are the extortionists.

R.I.P Amy Winehouse


 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: