Switch Theme:

Do You Expect 40k To Be Balanced?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Wing Commander





Bristol (UK)

Models aren't entirely forever, I was only playing a few years before some of my models dropped off the plane of existence. Now several key units of my army are only legal with my opponent's consent, since they're Legends.

   
Made in de
!!Goffik Rocker!!






Nuremberg

I just change rule systems if GW makes my models invalid. Understand that that is not an option for most people who want to take part in the pick up game side of things.

My models are more important to me than the other aspects of the game. They are cooler and I invest more time in them.

   
Made in gb
Wing Commander





Bristol (UK)

I don't disagree, I wish I had the luxury xD
   
Made in fr
Stabbin' Skarboy






Yeah you guys are right, the more I think about it , the more I realize I was thinking of new players gettting into the game 5-10 years ago, when things evolved a lot slower

Currently things move so fast (good units becomre priced out of being good any longer, like centurions last year were great, and now no one sees them anymore) it is impossible to predict -what will work and what will not- by the time a new player has painted his/her stuff.

So a new player might as well buy what he/she thinks look cool or has cool fluff. Who knows if it will be good or not in 6 months. If they have opponents willing to tone their lists accordingly all should be ok.


This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/07 12:45:01


Ere we go ere we go ere we go
Corona Givin’ Umies Da good ol Krulpin they deserve huh huh 
   
Made in de
Ladies Love the Vibro-Cannon Operator






Hamburg

Not at all.
Mathematically, balancing would be an NP-hard problem.

Former moderator 40kOnline

Lanchester's square law - please obey in list building!

Illumini: "And thank you for not finishing your post with a "" I'm sorry, but after 7200 's that has to be the most annoying sign-off ever."

Armies: Eldar, Necrons, Blood Angels, Grey Knights; World Eaters (30k); Bloodbound; Cryx, Circle, Cyriss 
   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




Yeah well that would be nice if stuff moved fast for everyone. If someone decided to buy in to Tyranids, because they like big monsters and Alien in 8th, then they are not having a good time for longer then 6 months. Same with csm playing folks, who actualy want to use csm models in their armies.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in us
Shadowy Grot Kommittee Memba





Karol wrote:
Yeah well that would be nice if stuff moved fast for everyone. If someone decided to buy in to Tyranids, because they like big monsters and Alien in 8th, then they are not having a good time for longer then 6 months. Same with csm playing folks, who actualy want to use csm models in their armies.


Yeah, it is still incredible to me that people continue to insist there is no double standard, when GW decided to release for free all the datasheets for unique space wolves DA BA DW units JUST so they didn't have to wait EVEN ONE MONTH for their codexes to be released....

....but Grey Knights, Thousand Sons, CSM, DG? Have fun with your 1W marines vs 2W marines games, losers, hope you didn't buy into our brand new chaos space marine army range we launched like 6 months ago because those are going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck to play against all your friends for we don't know how long.

Never mind that we're just randomly throwing DA W3 terminators with always-on -1D randomly, so you can't make the argument that we would give imbalanced rules to such crazy, wildly different units as...*checks notes* chaos space marines, who are identical to tactical marines except they have worse chapter tactics and no doctrines

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/07 13:40:45


"I can't believe all these tryhard WAACs out there just care about winning all the time when it's supposed to be a game for fun!!!!!!! Also here's my 27 page essay on why marines are OP and Orkz should get a bunch of OP rules so I can win more games

-the_scotsman"

-ERJAK 
   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




Well I like to think that it is just them having their releases pushed because of corona. Stuff like DG, but probably DE and DA well probably were all ment for 2020, but GW is not going to put them out in to a world where stores are closed and people aren't buying stuff, because of 2ed wave and fear of 3ed wave in spring.

If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in de
!!Goffik Rocker!!






Nuremberg

Stuff like that is clear evidence that the design team is not really professional or serious.

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut







 Da Boss wrote:
Stuff like that is clear evidence that the design team is not really professional or serious.


And this is the number 1 reason I don't expect or anticipate balance.

Perfect balance isn't even what I'm asking for, but as pointed out there's some absolutely ridiculous, egregious balance shenanigans out there that aren't "this unit is off by a few percentage points because this gak is hard." It's like "This entire army is unplayable because of a fairly simple interaction between the way they have to build and the way secondaries are scored."
   
Made in gb
Nurgle Predator Driver with an Infestation




Well, they are professional unless GW is relying on unpaid labour for their rules? Yes, I know you mean acting unprofessionally but that is just an unfounded personal attack and from what I hear GW are not the kind of company to put up with nonsense from staff. As for serious, from interviews I have seen they appear to be very passionate and serious. Warhammer - Serious Business "serious", probably not, I suspect they have some fun with it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/07 14:10:45


 
   
Made in de
!!Goffik Rocker!!






Nuremberg

Why do they do such a bad job so consistently then? Look at the example above, how is that defensible? It would be trivially easy to put out an update or to have included the chaos marines in that update, but they don't bother.

As for unprofessional, I understand the pedantic meaning of the phrase, but colloquially it also has the meaning of "not to a very high standard" or "amateurish", which I definitely feel applies to the studios output.

Some of them seem to do a decent job, but overall there is a lack of care or quality control that is very disappointing.

It is pretty common in tabletop games though, I find.

   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




The reason they don't usually give people stuff is that they want to sell it.

I mean we have these debates on digital ruleset, GW just hand out rules and unit entries etc - but they want people to buy books.

*If* their app joined the 21st century I could see that being the main mechanism. But until someone can prove these books don't generate a lot of money for comparatively little work and overhead, they'll keep churning them out. See what will presumably be day 1 DLC to codexes released 20 minutes earlier coming soon next year.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut







I mean, they do give people stuff for free. All the Space Marine subfactions got indexes to carry them over to their next codex/supplment/bookything.

Why not give CSM some indexes in the same way? Do they really think that CSM players won't then buy the codex when it drops? But they think DA players will buy the supplement after giving them an index?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/07 14:44:48


 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut




Tyel wrote:
The reason they don't usually give people stuff is that they want to sell it.

I mean we have these debates on digital ruleset, GW just hand out rules and unit entries etc - but they want people to buy books.

*If* their app joined the 21st century I could see that being the main mechanism. But until someone can prove these books don't generate a lot of money for comparatively little work and overhead, they'll keep churning them out. See what will presumably be day 1 DLC to codexes released 20 minutes earlier coming soon next year.


It would be prime content for a white dwarf and a decent annual rules update book. Smaller sub factions as well could be well served that way and promote sales of the miniatures themselves.
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




I'll be honest I don't play weird Marines, and don't actually know what's in the indexes. GW having a double standard on Marines versus anything else in the game isn't really new though so I can fully believe it.

I can imagine CSM would be less likely to buy their codex if they got a free decent update that gives them new points with new stat lines - unless it contains a lot of codex creep, which carries its own problems.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut







Tyel wrote:
I'll be honest I don't play weird Marines, and don't actually know what's in the indexes. GW having a double standard on Marines versus anything else in the game isn't really new though so I can fully believe it.

I can imagine CSM would be less likely to buy their codex if they got a free decent update that gives them new points with new stat lines - unless it contains a lot of codex creep, which carries its own problems.


I'm just pointing out GW themselves don't share your logic, so there must be another reason they didn't update those other armies with their own indexes.

It's plausible that the reason rhymes with "sun processional"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/07 14:59:11


 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut





Halifax

Calling it unprofessional is kind of stupid because it doesn't account for cost/benefit of the work being described. QA can double the cost of doing something; the reason why media platforms are outperforming publishers these days is because they remove the cost of that QA (moderation, editing). Consider that gamers and especially tournament competitive players aren't worth the effort it would take.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/07 15:52:05


   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






 wuestenfux wrote:
Not at all.
Mathematically, balancing would be an NP-hard problem.


That's why you solve that problem through iteration to get sufficiently close enough to the desired point. From previous editions one can assume people feel like an army is healthy if its average win rate is in the 45-55% window.

People still manage to build large circular structures despite not using the exact value of pi.

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in de
!!Goffik Rocker!!






Nuremberg

Nurglitch wrote:
Calling it unprofessional is kind of stupid because it doesn't account for cost/benefit of the work being described. QA can double the cost of doing something; the reason why media platforms are outperforming publishers these days is because they remove the cost of that QA (moderation, editing). Consider that gamers and especially tournament competitive players aren't worth the effort it would take.


It may well be a cost benefit thing, in fact it certainly is. Doesn't mean they ge to be respected for that.

   
Made in ca
Secretive Dark Angels Veteran




Vancouver, BC

 Jidmah wrote:
People still manage to build large circular structures despite not using the exact value of pi.

They actually don't, they build spheroid structures to varying degrees of eccentricity and smoothness. It's impossible to build a circle in anything but theory as one cannot build with infinitely small particles measured and placed with infinite precision.
   
Made in de
!!Goffik Rocker!!






Nuremberg

Well yeah, that is the point of what Jidmah is saying. We still call approximately circle shaped objects IRL "circles" and no one feels the need to constantly correct us and say "a real circle is impossible!".

I wish the conversation about balance in wargames worked the same way

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Annandale, VA

 Da Boss wrote:
Well yeah, that is the point of what Jidmah is saying. We still call approximately circle shaped objects IRL "circles" and no one feels the need to constantly correct us and say "a real circle is impossible!".

I wish the conversation about balance in wargames worked the same way


Not when discussing it with obnoxious pedants who don't even play the game in question.

But otherwise yeah I think reasonable people recognize that while '''true balance''' is an ever-shifting and impossible target; getting better than what we have is doable. Most often the 'true balance is impossible' line is trotted out to defend the status quo, but it's an extreme straw man argument.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/01/07 18:37:59


 
   
Made in us
Quick-fingered Warlord Moderatus




Not when discussing it with obnoxious pedants who don't even play the game in question.


Whomever could you be referring to good sir?

Edit: I just googled ablutions and apparently it does not including dropping a duece. I should have looked it up early sorry for any confusion. - Baldsmug

Psiensis on the "good old days":
"Kids these days...
... I invented the 6th Ed meta back in 3rd ed.
Wait, what were we talking about again? Did I ever tell you about the time I gave you five bees for a quarter? That's what you'd say in those days, "give me five bees for a quarter", is what you'd say in those days. And you'd go down to the D&D shop, with an onion in your belt, 'cause that was the style of the time. So there I was in the D&D shop..." 
   
Made in ca
Secretive Dark Angels Veteran




Vancouver, BC

 Da Boss wrote:
Well yeah, that is the point of what Jidmah is saying. We still call approximately circle shaped objects IRL "circles" and no one feels the need to constantly correct us and say "a real circle is impossible!".

I wish the conversation about balance in wargames worked the same way

The issue is most posters grossly underestimate how much work achieving even a 45-55 split between the top and bottom win rates is within 40ks vast potential number of matchups and play experiences. Even getting that level of balance internally to a codex is near impossible let alone also nailing inter-faction balance to that degree. The issue at hand is that list building at 40ks scale will always cause skews in list strength which are further compounded by player skill and the 'pseudo-random nature of dice.

 catbarf wrote:
But otherwise yeah I think reasonable people recognize that while '''true balance''' is an ever-shifting and impossible target; getting better than what we have is doable. Most often the 'true balance is impossible' line is trotted out to defend the status quo, but it's an extreme straw man argument.

How close to perfect is acceptable? How much work do you estimate achieving that balance will take? How did you arrive at that estimate?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/01/07 18:40:10


 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut




 Blackie wrote:
Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
It's morally wrong if you're gonna be one of those players that won't let their opponents proxy because they chose the wrong paint scheme.


Absolutely. I started painting my orks with the Deathskullz colours during 3rd edition era, then 17 years later colour scheme matters for the rules! Even if I've mostly played Deathskullz since 8th anyway, forgive me if sometimes I play orks with the klan rules I want to try regardless of how they are painted .

And believe it or not, there are actually fans of Iron Hands that don't want to play another Chapter's rules because you whine about it being unfair.

It shouldn't be unfair to begin with.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in ca
Excellent Exalted Champion of Chaos





British Columbia

Free power from paint was a terrible decision. What a balancing nightmare.

 Crimson Devil wrote:
That's what 7th edition is about. Yelling "Forge the Narrative Pussy!" while kicking your opponent in the dick.
 BlaxicanX wrote:
A young business man named Tom Kirby, who was a pupil of mine until he turned greedy, helped the capitalists hunt down and destroy the wargamers. He betrayed and murdered Games Workshop.


 
   
Made in us
Steady Space Marine Vet Sergeant




San Jose, CA

As much as I never agree with Slayer, they do have a point.

I have never had any interest in playing my Salamanders as any other chapter. If I wanted to play as someone else, I wouldn't have painted them as Salamanders.

   
Made in pl
Fixture of Dakka




Slayer-Fan123 795143 11023838 wrote:
And believe it or not, there are actually fans of Iron Hands that don't want to play another Chapter's rules because you whine about it being unfair.

It shouldn't be unfair to begin with.


That actualy happened to a guy at my old store. Started at the same time as me. Picked iron hands and his army was 2 halfs of DI and 2 primaris dreads. As everyone can imagine, he was not wining stuff through out most of 8th. Then 2.0 came and people who were rolling over him for 2+ years suddenly started calling him names, and even trying to make others not play him. One of the worse things I have seen with my own eyes directly in my entire life. Dude quit when the store went down, I really felt bad for him, and what people did to him.

The issue is most posters grossly underestimate how much work achieving even a 45-55 split between the top and bottom win rates is within 40ks vast potential number of matchups and play experiences.

I think anyone who does sports or at least follows sport knows it. 50/50 is the general norm for good teams or players. Anything above it is legend. And win rates in the 60% are mind blowing strong. Specially when facing something that has a under 30% win rate. Then the actual chance to win drop so low, that in actualy they may as well mean you never win against this dude. I have seen dudes that have 60%+ win rates and all of them look like mutants. 18+y sized at the age of 15-16, with body build to match. Sometimes it is downright scary to watch the bout.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/01/07 19:33:22


If you have to kill, then kill in the best manner. If you slaughter, then slaughter in the best manner. Let one of you sharpen his knife so his animal feels no pain. 
   
Made in de
!!Goffik Rocker!!






Nuremberg

Yeah linking rules to paint schemes is very silly. It actually punishes people for using official schemes!

   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: