Switch Theme:

Black Library News & Rumour thread: HH POD now available -- 2 weeks only  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

Nice article on Gotrek and Felix on Warhammer
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/19/gotrek-gurnisson-the-story-so-far/

Shows not just a summary of their publication history through time, but also their models as made through the years as well.


As a note that original stories are a great whistle-stop tour of the Old World as Gotrek and Felix travel the lands dealing with all manner of nefarious enemies. I've been catching up through the omnibus editions which are a great selection of the novels and collections of the short stories.

A Blog in Miniature - now featuring reviews of many new Black Library books (latest Novellas) 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Jolly bringer of death and suspensions






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

Wrapped up Spear of the Emperor, it was.. okay?

Really feels like the start of a series, has a sequel been announced or is Aaron still recovering from this one?

Roll on next Saturday so I can preorder the last two Genevieve books and some new-old Necromunda stuff already.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Aspirant Tech-Adept




UK

I picked up Spear of the Emperor today, up to chapter 4 so far.

Imperial Soup
2200pts/1750 painted
2800pts/1200 painted
2200pts/650 painted
217pts/151 painted 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

Just got notice that my Inferno reprints from their 3rd collection have just shipped so chances are they will be shipping all around the world any time now!

A Blog in Miniature - now featuring reviews of many new Black Library books (latest Novellas) 
   
Made in us
Ruthless Interrogator





The hills above Belfast

 BrookM wrote:
Wrapped up Spear of the Emperor, it was.. okay?

Really feels like the start of a series, has a sequel been announced or is Aaron still recovering from this one?

.


It’s been announced as the opening book in a series but that’s about all we know.

I adored this book, it felt like the best BL fiction I’ve read in years and certainly ADBs best since the night lords trilogy. I loved the narration through the slave. I’m rereading it by listening to it at the minute and I find it equally captivating. It’s beautifully read.

I sense you felt underwhelmed by it? What did you feel was missing?


EAT - SLEEP - FARM - REPEAT  
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Jolly bringer of death and suspensions






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

 Knockagh wrote:
 BrookM wrote:
Wrapped up Spear of the Emperor, it was.. okay?

Really feels like the start of a series, has a sequel been announced or is Aaron still recovering from this one?

.


It’s been announced as the opening book in a series but that’s about all we know.

I adored this book, it felt like the best BL fiction I’ve read in years and certainly ADBs best since the night lords trilogy. I loved the narration through the slave. I’m rereading it by listening to it at the minute and I find it equally captivating. It’s beautifully read.

I sense you felt underwhelmed by it? What did you feel was missing?

It may have been the wait in between the collectors edition last year and the regular edition now, maybe too much hype on my end?

It didn't help that the art shown off for the book dropped a pretty big spoiler well in advance..

Spoiler:
Amadeus becoming a Primaris


Mind, I still recommend this book to any and all in need of a good Space Marine read, but for me it felt in some way more of the same.

There were some funny bits and bobs in there, like the epitaphs written for fallen battle brothers, which are both touching and bordering on a delicious tar black comedy.

That said, I am patiently looking forward to the sequel, there's a lot of stuff alluded towards in this one that's yet to come.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in au
Resentful Grot With a Plan





I finished it last weekend and was equally not super enthusiastic of it. I think I had too much hype build up for it based on the original uber special version and early reviews and GW hype that the actual product, while ok, wasn't the brilliance I had expected.

To me the Black Legion books were more interesting, as was the Grey Knights book he did a while back.

The narrative style wasn't much different to his normal thing of putting a human next to a Marine and then discussing how each is confused by the others emotional state or actions. Felt a bit of a reskin of bits and pieces of his earlier work.

I was also a bit confused by the adoption by the end of the phrase 'aye'. I don't recall the Spears walking around with Scottish affectations or it being a prominent part of their language during the book, but it suddenly popped up a few times in the last act. I picked up some Welsh type language throughout.

I was also confused a bit by Amadeus' choice at the end and decision about sending the message.

Spoiler:
Appeared a bit heretical to me that he could be so put out by the choices of his Chapter and the Imperium that he could disown his chapter and in essence go Renegade, which is how the Spears appeared to me. Fighting for the Imperium in their own way, but not following the orders of the Imperium in others. I kind of think that's how the Astral Claws started on their path. And we all know where that ended up.


Overall, I didn't think it was bad by any stretch, and it was interesting reading about the other side of the rift. I just didn't love it like I expected too.

Those damn monkeys keep stealing my saving throws

Azrael13: Conversions should be a choice, not a necessity to make a "premium" product acceptable. 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Jolly bringer of death and suspensions






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

Hehehe, I rate the Black Legion novels lower personally, there are some cool things in there, but I felt that the main character was such a Larry Stu with his awesome shadow wolf and his totally hot and OP Dark Eldar servant. And that the traitors could be so immature in their insults sometimes.

"Hey, missing your ceremonial scythe? I turned it into a piss pot for my slaves, hur hur hur." At which point the narrator confirms that this is indeed what had happened to said weapon.

Grey Knights though, amazing. The whole post Armageddon bit drags on a bit too long imho, but it's more than made up for with that final chapter, which is simply..


Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Aspirant Tech-Adept




UK

Got my Inferno! 11-15 reprints today.

The post-Armageddon part of the Emperor's Gift spoiled that book a bit for me.

Imperial Soup
2200pts/1750 painted
2800pts/1200 painted
2200pts/650 painted
217pts/151 painted 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Jolly bringer of death and suspensions






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

Got an email regarding my Inferno! reprints yesterday as well, I'll have mine in a week or so, can't wait to dig into the iffy past of BL and add them to the collection.

High time they announce when the next one is going to drop, or if they already did so, remind us of it again.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka




UK

I wish the current Inferno were like the old ones - short stories are great but the lore tid bits and artwork and comics all together just rounded the old Inferno out into a more "fun" book. In fact if GW wanted me to buy hard copies of current Inferno that's what I'd do since right now I get them all digitally because its just story text and my Kindle displays that fantastically.



A Blog in Miniature - now featuring reviews of many new Black Library books (latest Novellas) 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Jolly bringer of death and suspensions






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

I quite like the current anthology format with a hard focus on just fiction, something for everyone thankfully and so far, not that many duds in there, but as always, YMMV.

This format is also, no slight meant towards the authors who contribute to this all, an easier and less intensive format for them to work with. Just got to check and edit the stories, commission cover art to match one of the stories and done.

That said, more comics, preferably not done by BOOM! or Titan would be great. Though this may be personal bias of mine as I have fond memories of the old black and white stuff (with exception of Obvious Tactics, though the artist did do some other great stuff for Inferno!). I've read most of the new stuff put out by others and meh, it just doesn't always click as well as the stuff BL did their selves back in the day.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

 Knockagh wrote:
 BrookM wrote:
Wrapped up Spear of the Emperor, it was.. okay?

Really feels like the start of a series, has a sequel been announced or is Aaron still recovering from this one?

.


It’s been announced as the opening book in a series but that’s about all we know.

I adored this book, it felt like the best BL fiction I’ve read in years and certainly ADBs best since the night lords trilogy. I loved the narration through the slave. I’m rereading it by listening to it at the minute and I find it equally captivating. It’s beautifully read.

I sense you felt underwhelmed by it? What did you feel was missing?



I’m with you, one of the best BL books I’ve read in quite a while.
   
Made in gb
Boom! Leman Russ Commander





The Shire(s)

 FrothingMuppet wrote:


I was also a bit confused by the adoption by the end of the phrase 'aye'. I don't recall the Spears walking around with Scottish affectations or it being a prominent part of their language during the book, but it suddenly popped up a few times in the last act. I picked up some Welsh type language throughout.

I can understand it being a bit odd if it came out of nowhere towards the end of the book, but "aye" is not at all a strictly Scottish word and is pretty common in much of the British isles.

From Wikitionary:
aye

yes; yea; a word expressing assent, or an affirmative answer to a question.
Usage notes
It is much used in Scotland, the north and Midlands of England, the northern counties of Ireland, North Wales, as well as in Australia and New Zealand (where it may follow rather than precede a statement).


It is worth noting that ADB lives in Northern Ireland too, so probably hears "aye" a lot in general life.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/06/25 15:33:59


 ChargerIIC wrote:
If algae farm paste with a little bit of your grandfather in it isn't Grimdark I don't know what is.
 
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Bodt

 BrookM wrote:
Hehehe, I rate the Black Legion novels lower personally, there are some cool things in there, but I felt that the main character was such a Larry Stu with his awesome shadow wolf and his totally hot and OP Dark Eldar servant. And that the traitors could be so immature in their insults sometimes.

"Hey, missing your ceremonial scythe? I turned it into a piss pot for my slaves, hur hur hur." At which point the narrator confirms that this is indeed what had happened to said weapon.



I like the immature insults. Makes it more realistic. My favourite is 'another glorious victory... ` iksandur to lheor after he smashes a ghost statue of sanguinius.

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in us
Ruthless Interrogator





The hills above Belfast

 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
 BrookM wrote:
Hehehe, I rate the Black Legion novels lower personally, there are some cool things in there, but I felt that the main character was such a Larry Stu with his awesome shadow wolf and his totally hot and OP Dark Eldar servant. And that the traitors could be so immature in their insults sometimes.

"Hey, missing your ceremonial scythe? I turned it into a piss pot for my slaves, hur hur hur." At which point the narrator confirms that this is indeed what had happened to said weapon.



I like the immature insults. Makes it more realistic. My favourite is 'another glorious victory... ` iksandur to lheor after he smashes a ghost statue of sanguinius.


I’ve struggled with the black legion books. I found them fairly dull. I liked the basic structure of the book, the narration from a captive herald. That was typically clever ADB work. I just found the story rather uninspiring. Whereas the spears I’ve found incredible. Nihilus itself is a brilliant setting and I’m really hungry for more of it. The inquisitions working within it, the life of imperial citizens stranded. Guard regiments isolated from command structure. Heck even huge fleets who have lost their command. The potential for storytelling of a whole new kind is huge.

EAT - SLEEP - FARM - REPEAT  
   
Made in us
Pulsating Possessed Chaos Marine




Seattle, WA

 Knockagh wrote:

I’ve struggled with the black legion books. I found them fairly dull. I liked the basic structure of the book, the narration from a captive herald. That was typically clever ADB work. I just found the story rather uninspiring. Whereas the spears I’ve found incredible. Nihilus itself is a brilliant setting and I’m really hungry for more of it. The inquisitions working within it, the life of imperial citizens stranded. Guard regiments isolated from command structure. Heck even huge fleets who have lost their command. The potential for storytelling of a whole new kind is huge.


I'm more than half way through Spears and it's been a bit of a slog. It might be due to the fact that he's doing a lot of world building for something that doesn't have a lot of background already. That combined with the narrator I feel like I'm listening to a lecture on tape. There are interesting bits of trivia, but it doesn't feel alive. Stop telling me how barbaric the space marines are and show them doing something barbaric. To me it's ADB's weakest book so far.
   
Made in us
Ruthless Interrogator





The hills above Belfast

bogalubov wrote:
 Knockagh wrote:

I’ve struggled with the black legion books. I found them fairly dull. I liked the basic structure of the book, the narration from a captive herald. That was typically clever ADB work. I just found the story rather uninspiring. Whereas the spears I’ve found incredible. Nihilus itself is a brilliant setting and I’m really hungry for more of it. The inquisitions working within it, the life of imperial citizens stranded. Guard regiments isolated from command structure. Heck even huge fleets who have lost their command. The potential for storytelling of a whole new kind is huge.


I'm more than half way through Spears and it's been a bit of a slog. It might be due to the fact that he's doing a lot of world building for something that doesn't have a lot of background already. That combined with the narrator I feel like I'm listening to a lecture on tape. There are interesting bits of trivia, but it doesn't feel alive. Stop telling me how barbaric the space marines are and show them doing something barbaric. To me it's ADB's weakest book so far.


ADB did great bolter porn in Helsreach but more and more people want something more from their BL reads these days. Surely there is enough action in the book? There are only so many ways you can describe shooting. I love that he leaves some of the gore out. When Tyberia is tortured he doesn’t describe her injuries at all, Ana tells us the damage was horrific, that’s all that needs told. Her death is much more emotional without the gore, the gore would only distract you from the importance of the scene. He makes an emotional story in this book, sometimes less is best.

I’m fascinated with the inquisitions role in the book and I’m pretty sure that’s far from settled. It will be cool to see where that takes us.

EAT - SLEEP - FARM - REPEAT  
   
Made in us
Pulsating Possessed Chaos Marine




Seattle, WA

 Knockagh wrote:

ADB did great bolter porn in Helsreach but more and more people want something more from their BL reads these days. Surely there is enough action in the book? There are only so many ways you can describe shooting. I love that he leaves some of the gore out. When Tyberia is tortured he doesn’t describe her injuries at all, Ana tells us the damage was horrific, that’s all that needs told. Her death is much more emotional without the gore, the gore would only distract you from the importance of the scene. He makes an emotional story in this book, sometimes less is best.

I’m fascinated with the inquisitions role in the book and I’m pretty sure that’s far from settled. It will be cool to see where that takes us.


Oh I agree that the bolter porn gets tedious. I frequently skip whole pages of it. I don't need to read/listen to torture porn either. The current book feels sterile though where previous books were full of relationships that felt real and were interesting. This might be due to the narrative style of having one person tell everything from her perspective or maybe because that person is a thrall for a very un-emotional chapter. Maybe it picks up in the second half.
   
Made in us
Ruthless Interrogator





The hills above Belfast

When you finish it let us know what your final thoughts are. Everyone likes different things I suppose. The narrative style was a big plus for me I enjoyed it. Ive loved Eisenhorn and other novels told directly in first person. It really personalises the story.

EAT - SLEEP - FARM - REPEAT  
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






I realize I'm a year or two late but I've been on a strange pre-Heresy World Eaters kick for some reason and am considering reading the Angron book. I've read the plot synopsis so I pretty much already know what will happen but I'm curious if the journey is worth it for someone just looking for a good story to connect the dots.

   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Bodt

The Angron book is very good.

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Jolly bringer of death and suspensions






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

Contents for the Underhive anthology are finally known:



Wanted: Dead by Mike Brooks
Dirty Dealings by Rachel Harrison
Redemption by Darius Hinks
Death’s Head by Josh Reynolds
Emp-rah’s Eye by Guy Haley
Once a Stimm Queen by Robbie MacNiven
Scar Crossed by Nick Kyme
Burned by Darius Hinks
A Common Ground by Mike Brooks
Red Salvage by Josh Reynolds


Included are the novella from last year and all the eshorts from the Necromunda bundle they did a while ago as well. So not really worth getting if you've already got both.

Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
Made in gb
Ruthless Interrogator





The hills above Belfast

 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
The Angron book is very good.


I will second that! Superb

EAT - SLEEP - FARM - REPEAT  
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






 Knockagh wrote:
 queen_annes_revenge wrote:
The Angron book is very good.


I will second that! Superb


Thanks to you both. I read a bit yesterday and was happy with at least the start (especially with the character of Centurion Mago as the savage nobility angle is exactly what I was hoping for in contrast to the typical blind rage you get with World Eaters).

   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero





Bodt

The part where kharn gets the nails implanted is a very nice touch. Took me a couple of seconds to figure out what was going on.. But I won't ruin it for you.

Heresy World Eaters/Night Lords Genestealer cults.

Instagram: nagrakali_love_songs 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






I'll look out for that part then. I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same novel given your post but, just in case anyone else isn't, I'm referring to the Angron Slave of Nuceria book. I was just looking it up on Amazon and saw another Black Library novel titled simply "Angron". Also, the physical book delivered next day is cheaper by several dollars than the ebook. Wacky..

   
Made in us
Ancient Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought






I bit the bullet and bought Spears of the Emperor. Plowed through it in a single sitting. It's.... weird. Good, but weird. The reveal at the very end totally caught me by surprise. Probably my favorite ADB book since Helsreach.

Iron Warriors 442nd Grand Battalion: 5k points
Carcharodons 4th Company: 2k points  
   
Made in gb
[MOD]
Et In Arcadia Ego





Canterbury

Think I'll wait for the paperback one of that then.

Am going to pick up the Apocalypse book out next week and also treated myself to the new Gloomspite novel.

Only 70 or so pages in currently but most enjoyable so far.


The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn't; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all
We love our superheroes because they refuse to give up on us. We can analyze them out of existence, kill them, ban them, mock them, and still they return, patiently reminding us of who we are and what we wish we could be.
the stark reality is that Harry would have simply killed and eaten each and every one of the Hendersons.
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Savage Minotaur




Baltimore, Maryland

 reds8n wrote:
treated myself to the new Gloomspite novel.

Only 70 or so pages in currently but most enjoyable so far.



I finished it yesterday, was a fun read.

"Sometimes the only victory possible is to keep your opponent from winning." - The Emperor, from The Outcast Dead.
"Tell your gods we are coming for them, and that their realms will burn as ours did." -Thostos Bladestorm
 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: