Switch Theme:

Dungeons And Dakkas! The Dakka DnD Thread!  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





Virginia

 Earth127 wrote:
That's completely opposite of how I like playing dnd. But if you and yopur players are having fun...

3 things I'd like to give as feedback:

1) 14 kobolds at lvl 1 is extremely hard for 4 lvl 1 chars let alone
using all those special rules.

2) I'd probably give a catch up system for xp in case a person gets killed at "higher" lvl's because constantly laggiong behind isn't really fun.

3) I'm pretty certain that rate of character loss stops being fun very quickly.


Thanks for the feedback!

1. You are absolutely right. However, I randomly generated it and rolled really high for the number of enemies, plus I figured the fact that they can funnel them through the hallway with two ranged picking them off, and the fact that they take one hit and die, would compensate.

2. Perhaps. The idea I'm going for is that everything you achieve is supposed to feel like an accomplishment, and characters that survive the odds end up giving you more to be excited about.

3. Yeah, probably. We shall see. But if someone gets to a higher level they can essentially carry the party to a degree, so it gets easier to level up.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/06/13 16:35:21


40k:
8th Edtion: 9405 pts - Varantekh Dynasty  
   
Made in us
Bonkers Buggy Driver with Rockets






Some people enjoy character loss, some people despise it. It’s up to individual taste. As for some sort of catchup system, maybe just allocate more XP to underleveled players or something, because while surviving is an accomplishment, not surviving could mean that your next character is dead weight to the party, and no one wants to be useless.

I overuse ellipses constantly in my posts. Apologies in advance, unless you already read my post. In that case regular apologies instead.
 
   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





Virginia

 gnome_idea_what wrote:
Some people enjoy character loss, some people despise it. It’s up to individual taste. As for some sort of catchup system, maybe just allocate more XP to underleveled players or something, because while surviving is an accomplishment, not surviving could mean that your next character is dead weight to the party, and no one wants to be useless.


The saving grace there is that, unless the party is actively fighting near-max level stuff, due to bounded accuracy, even level 1 characters can still contribute to combat to some degree. Yes, it makes it more difficult because it's easier for them to die, but it adds to the challenge. Imagine how Frodo was when the troll was attacking them inside the dwarven tomb place. Legolas and Aragorn are easily level 10+, but Frodo was no more than level 2 or 3. It creates scenes like that, which I believe adds to the tension.

I'm hoping that by the time they get to level 2-3, people won't die as much, because they'll have more of a buffer of abilities and health.

40k:
8th Edtion: 9405 pts - Varantekh Dynasty  
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Legendary Master of the Chapter





UK

In case anyone's interested, there's currently a Humble Bundle for a bunch of 5e third party adventures/resources. Might be of use to some of you:
Link

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/06/13 21:13:09


Paradigm's Hobby Blog: last update: 09/06: Escher, Genestealer, Predator

Available for Commission Work. Click the banner or PM me for details.
 
   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy





USA

That's awesome Paradigm, I'm going to check it out. Thanks!

   
Made in de
Battlefield Tourist






Nuremberg

I enjoyed reading about your campaign, krodarklorr.

It reminds me of the campaign I ran a couple of years ago, I didn't go as hard on my players as you did, but they were pretty used to a low death rate and a fair amount of plot armour. They also used to get a "rounds grace" between when they failed their last death save or died, and when they were actually dead. So in the early games, the death rate was quite high.

This resulted in 2 things: People began to enjoy making new characters and seeing what would happen. And players got a lot more careful. Early on people would wander into rooms or charge into dangerous combats. As time went on, they developed systems for dealing with room entry, they became canny and tactical about taking on groups. They did things like blocking doors in the dungeon to prevent attacks from behind.

It resulted in very satisfying dungeon based play.

One thing I did do that I think worked well was if someone in the party was 2 levels below the highest level character, they got 33% bonus XP. This helped them "catch up", and it usually made sense because they were often dealing with things well above their "pay grade", and some players actually roleplayed the older characters mentoring the rookies.

It also made high level characters very valued for the way they helped lower level characters and prevented resentment - they became the old warhorses of the adventuring guild and people really looked up to them and liked having them along on adventures.

People also learned to enjoy just surviving high level encounters as a low level player, and adapting their playstyle to just contribute however they were able to, often in creative ways.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/06/16 13:54:57


   
Made in us
Stabbin' Skarboy





USA

@Paradigm: Thanks again for sharing about those D&D ebooks, after mulling it over for a few days, I decided to get all of the ebooks offered in the bundle. I doubt I'll even ever use 1/3 of them, but it's a great price and should be a fun read.

@Da Boss: Those are some really good ideas for helping a party play smoothly with different levels of characters, I'll have to remember those suggestions.

   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





Virginia

 Da Boss wrote:
I enjoyed reading about your campaign, krodarklorr.

It reminds me of the campaign I ran a couple of years ago, I didn't go as hard on my players as you did, but they were pretty used to a low death rate and a fair amount of plot armour. They also used to get a "rounds grace" between when they failed their last death save or died, and when they were actually dead. So in the early games, the death rate was quite high.

This resulted in 2 things: People began to enjoy making new characters and seeing what would happen. And players got a lot more careful. Early on people would wander into rooms or charge into dangerous combats. As time went on, they developed systems for dealing with room entry, they became canny and tactical about taking on groups. They did things like blocking doors in the dungeon to prevent attacks from behind.

It resulted in very satisfying dungeon based play.

One thing I did do that I think worked well was if someone in the party was 2 levels below the highest level character, they got 33% bonus XP. This helped them "catch up", and it usually made sense because they were often dealing with things well above their "pay grade", and some players actually roleplayed the older characters mentoring the rookies.

It also made high level characters very valued for the way they helped lower level characters and prevented resentment - they became the old warhorses of the adventuring guild and people really looked up to them and liked having them along on adventures.

People also learned to enjoy just surviving high level encounters as a low level player, and adapting their playstyle to just contribute however they were able to, often in creative ways.


Sounds like that was a good group you had there. Ideally I'm hoping this group evolves their strategy and learns from their mistakes. I already hinted at some things they could've done to help in the battle against the kobolds. Today is our 3rd session, and everyone is still very excited to play, which is a good sign. Though, I will admit, I expect a few more of them to die today if they don't be careful. One of the players is trying to be a Githyanki Wizard wielding a Longsword...with 8 hit points.

As far as the catch-up mechanic. If it ever becomes a problem, I'll have to look into it. But realistically, at least how I see it, if the party is level 5 and they're fighting creatures of the appropriate level, then the 1st-level character will receive the same amount of experience, but it will easily be enough to level them up immediately. That's what I figured would be the built-in catch-up mechanic, is simply them requiring less experience to level up. But, we don't even have a level 2 PC yet, so we'll have to wait and see.

I'll be continuing the saga tomorrow once I see what happens tonight. Thanks all for those who read it.

40k:
8th Edtion: 9405 pts - Varantekh Dynasty  
   
Made in de
Battlefield Tourist






Nuremberg

Aye, I don't think the 33% catch up XP is needed and it created some problems itself anyway. I think 5th is much more easy on low level players (I was running in Pathfinder).

I think the risk of death generally motivates more careful play, but tthen I also have had some players that seem to have a deathwish at times!

   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





Virginia

 Da Boss wrote:
Aye, I don't think the 33% catch up XP is needed and it created some problems itself anyway. I think 5th is much more easy on low level players (I was running in Pathfinder).

I think the risk of death generally motivates more careful play, but tthen I also have had some players that seem to have a deathwish at times!


Oh, haha. Yeah in 5e, unless you're fighting CR26 creatures and one PC is level 1, typically it won't be an issue. Bounded accuracy makes even higher level creatures still easy enough to hit by a level 1, and so on.

I must say, the risk of death has made the game a lot more interesting in my opinion. The players are adapting, and it creates a sense of urgency with potentially running away from combat or, you know, not being dumb and rushing into dungeon chambers.

40k:
8th Edtion: 9405 pts - Varantekh Dynasty  
   
Made in de
Battlefield Tourist






Nuremberg

Yep. They switch on more and take in the surroundings a lot more carefully. If no risk of death is present they can be on autopilot sometimes.

   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





Virginia

Yeah. One of my players, god bless him, is terrible at games. He normally spends time on his phone and relies on everyone else to help him with character creation and explaining where and how to find information he needs. Or just relies on me to know it for him. He's been playing for over a year. In this game, he's died twice. More than everyone else. And he's going to keep dying if he doesn't pay attention and think tactically.

40k:
8th Edtion: 9405 pts - Varantekh Dynasty  
   
Made in de
Battlefield Tourist






Nuremberg

Hmph. Phone use at the table is a real bugbear of mine. Fine if it is important, but mindless browsing is a no-no. You can do that at home on your own.

   
Made in us
Loyal Necron Lychguard





Virginia

Agreed. This player is a good friend of mine but dang he gets on my nerves with it. I keep trying to tell him to put it down, but hey. I'll just let him keep dying until he learns his lesson.

40k:
8th Edtion: 9405 pts - Varantekh Dynasty  
   
Made in us
[MOD]
Reanimator






RVA

 Red Harvest wrote:
Just roll up the character and let its background/history develop as you play the character, not before you play the character.
Yep, 100% agree. So many bad experiences come from expecting a character to be like one thing and him or her being something different in play. Plus, it is so much fun just to see how the character emerges.

   
 
Forum Index » Board Games, Roleplaying Games & Card Games
Go to: