Switch Theme:

Eldar Q1 2015 Release - Plastic Harlequin models & Codex book  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

 Swastakowey wrote:
 Januine wrote:
Anyone got the Harelquin painting guide yet? From what 'seen looks like a guide actually worth the coin (for a change).


Dont pay for the guides mate. Its easy to find guides online for free. As in other peoples tutorials etc.

The guides that GW has been releasing are not just painting step by steps.

They also include background material and a kind of "reference guide" for markings and things of that nature.
   
Made in nz
Heroic Senior Officer




New Zealand

 Kanluwen wrote:
 Swastakowey wrote:
 Januine wrote:
Anyone got the Harelquin painting guide yet? From what 'seen looks like a guide actually worth the coin (for a change).


Dont pay for the guides mate. Its easy to find guides online for free. As in other peoples tutorials etc.

The guides that GW has been releasing are not just painting step by steps.

They also include background material and a kind of "reference guide" for markings and things of that nature.


Thats still not worth the price tag. The Codex, the free online information and your imagination will suffice and save you cash easy.

I mean, in my opinion paying for something that has substitutes for free is usually not worth it.
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




Melbourne

OK so - does anyone have any info or further rumours on whether GW will be updating the Eldar jetbikes/Vypers/whatever after this?

I've been trawling through everything and really can't find it; hopefully someone who has been in touch a bit more can help me out...

Thanks!
-M

Eldar: 8,560
Tyranid: 2,397
Tau: Soon... 
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

 Swastakowey wrote:
 Kanluwen wrote:
 Swastakowey wrote:
 Januine wrote:
Anyone got the Harelquin painting guide yet? From what 'seen looks like a guide actually worth the coin (for a change).


Dont pay for the guides mate. Its easy to find guides online for free. As in other peoples tutorials etc.

The guides that GW has been releasing are not just painting step by steps.

They also include background material and a kind of "reference guide" for markings and things of that nature.


Thats still not worth the price tag. The Codex, the free online information and your imagination will suffice and save you cash easy.

I mean, in my opinion paying for something that has substitutes for free is usually not worth it.

That's your opinion, as you say.

In my opinion and experience? They have been worth the price tag. It never hurts to have more reference material to work with, and it's nice to be able to specifically match in a 1:1 ratio something that you have seen in the Codex.
   
Made in nz
Heroic Senior Officer




New Zealand

Eh, think of the more models you could have purchased and practiced on instead of buying the painting guides though... one purchase leaves you with experience and something to show for it.

But ultimately it doesnt matter too much. Just my opinion.
   
Made in us
Guarding Guardian





 Miniature13 wrote:
I like the new shadow seer model but I think the old one is much nicer.


But they're pretty much the exact same model...

Eldar 4000 points 
   
Made in us
Speed Drybrushing






Chicago, Illinois

majendie wrote:
OK so - does anyone have any info or further rumours on whether GW will be updating the Eldar jetbikes/Vypers/whatever after this?

I've been trawling through everything and really can't find it; hopefully someone who has been in touch a bit more can help me out...


I don't think it's really necessary to wait for official new Eldar models now. The jetbikes and the ...larger one are basically Eldar models right now. All you need to do is swap out the Harlie heads with Guardian heads, and put something else in place of where there are those mounted masks on the bikes. Instant Eldar Update.

I'm definitely going to be doing that soon with a squad of Vypers, and I might build a second squad of jetbikes, too (I already did a set of bikes using Dark Eldar as a base).

Rokugnar Eldar (6500) - Wolves of Excess (2000) - Marines Diagnostica (2200)
tumblr - I paint on Twitch! - Also a Level 2 Magic Judge  
   
Made in us
Shas'o Commanding the Hunter Kadre




Missouri

I honestly don't know if they even plan on updating the Eldar jetbikes anymore. In one of the newest White Dwarfs they point out the difference between the Craftworld and Harlequin bikes by noting how the rider sits on it like the dark kin do, trying to emphasize how Harlequins straddle the line between the two. The prototype that we saw years and years ago had a rider mounted just like the DE reavers, though, leaning forward as if he was racing instead of sitting upright.

It just seems like a weird thing to emphasize to me if they were planning on releasing an updated kit with new riders matching the DE and Harlequin bikes. I imagine those molds paid for themselves a long time ago and that GW is probably content to keep that kit around for as long as possible, as the new bikes probably wouldn't differ too much from the existing bikes to force people to update them anyway, and every sale they make for the current bikes is all profit. GW seems to avoid replacing existing plastic kits whenever possible, preferring instead to introduce new stuff for people to buy instead of updated versions of older models.

 Desubot wrote:
Why isnt Slut Wars: The Sexpocalypse a real game dammit.


"It's easier to change the rules than to get good at the game." 
   
Made in kr
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM





Republic of Ireland

guessing plastic aspect figs is a wish, spit n dream :(

   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




Melbourne

Hmmm I've got to say, I'm expecting a new jetbike based on the new Harlequin ones. I have nothing to go on, rumour wise, but looking at the model it now makes the Eldar ones look incredibly dated. They've clearly taken the DE jetbike and tweaked it to look more mainline Eldar, then added a couple of things back to make it a bit hybrid; the split front on the cowling and the face mask thing. The model could be very very easily converted to regular Eldar, sure, but I would not be in the least surprised to see them finally replace the standard Jetbike.

If nothing else, I don't want to go buy a bunch of Harlequin jetbikes (which I would expect to be more expensive than new Guardian jetbikes, since there's another rider on each one) and have them finally release new jetbikes a month later.

At the moment I'm sitting on my hands, not buying Harlequins, until I see a bit more confirmation one way or the other...

Now, plastic Aspect Warriors? Where are we on that one, GW? Eldar have the oldest models still in production; get on that!

I would really love to see some actual sales figures showing the breakdown between armies and which sells the most, as well as how those figures change when they bring out new models. They've just replaced a bunch of old Tyranid models, and now the Harlequins; Eldar are surely due for the desperately needed updates!

Eldar: 8,560
Tyranid: 2,397
Tau: Soon... 
   
Made in kr
Arch Magos w/ 4 Meg of RAM





Republic of Ireland

majendie wrote:
Hmmm I've got to say, I'm expecting a new jetbike based on the new Harlequin ones. I have nothing to go on, rumour wise, but looking at the model it now makes the Eldar ones look incredibly dated. They've clearly taken the DE jetbike and tweaked it to look more mainline Eldar, then added a couple of things back to make it a bit hybrid; the split front on the cowling and the face mask thing. The model could be very very easily converted to regular Eldar, sure, but I would not be in the least surprised to see them finally replace the standard Jetbike.

If nothing else, I don't want to go buy a bunch of Harlequin jetbikes (which I would expect to be more expensive than new Guardian jetbikes, since there's another rider on each one) and have them finally release new jetbikes a month later.

At the moment I'm sitting on my hands, not buying Harlequins, until I see a bit more confirmation one way or the other...

Now, plastic Aspect Warriors? Where are we on that one, GW? Eldar have the oldest models still in production; get on that!

I would really love to see some actual sales figures showing the breakdown between armies and which sells the most, as well as how those figures change when they bring out new models. They've just replaced a bunch of old Tyranid models, and now the Harlequins; Eldar are surely due for the desperately needed updates!


totally. wanting to build up a new eldar army but damned if i want to be buying shitecast aspect figs

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut



Las Vegas

majendie wrote:
OK so - does anyone have any info or further rumours on whether GW will be updating the Eldar jetbikes/Vypers/whatever after this?

I've been trawling through everything and really can't find it; hopefully someone who has been in touch a bit more can help me out...

Thanks!
-M


Vypers got a minor update a few years ago, to expand the weapons options in the kit. I don't really think it needs any further updating. Regular Eldar jetbikes sure do, though.
   
Made in us
Badass "Sister Sin"






Camas, WA

Isn't this thread kind of over now?

Looking for great deals on miniatures or have a large pile you are looking to sell off? Checkout Mindtaker Miniatures on Facebook!
Live in the Pacific NW? Check out http://ordofanaticus.com
Want to know your rumor monger's history? Check out the Ongoing Rumor Accuracy Tracking thread

"For this thread to have some utility and remain useful, please refrain from spamming it with 'jokes'." - Alpharius
"Irrational negativity is the engine that drives the forums" - BrassScorpion
"It's too early to be crying about this. Maybe next month all your tears will be valid." - Redbeard

200+ Successful Trades on Dakka.
My trade list: http://mindtaker.org/trade.html 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]







Yes, I think it is!

So long everyone, and thanks for the fish!
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: