Switch Theme:

Warhammer {{{40k}}} Quest - Blackstone Fortress  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Nurgle Chosen Marine on a Palanquin






Me too. I like weird stuff. I'm almost done reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville and that book is weird.

I'm also pretty tempted to pick up that December issue of White Dwarf, even if it is day one DLC. Do they only sell single issues a month after the issue is released?

 
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
Guess you’ve never read Barrington J Bayley’s effort then.


Fear and Loathing in the Eye of Terror was great!

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Mad Doc Grotsnik wrote:
Guess you’ve never read Barrington J Bayley’s effort then. Or the original Space Marine


Are you holding those up as examples of bad 40k novels, or weird ones? Because Space Marine (and Inquisitor and The Alien Beast Within) are all excellent. The sequels to Inquisitor, not so much.

Still, "weird and not like the other 40k novels" is a fine recommendation; I'll check it out.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Played through a combat. After dealing with the initial wave, I don't feel there's much tension. Hostile reinforcements feel more like a nuisance than a threat, only delaying searching the four discovery markers.

Am I missing something? Maybe it gets more difficult and dramatic later?

Battlescribe Catalog Editor - Please report bugs here http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/#/repo/wh40k 
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







All dungeon crawlers are attrition games. It's going to be a different story when you're on your fourth combat of the expedition and some random encounter cards already put a bunch of wounds on you.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran





Mississippi

Finally got my copy and was able to play it today. Missed a rule here or there (notably, the reinforcement rule).

The game is fun, but it's a bit "easy mode". We only had one combat where anyone got hurt (one person underestimated Ur-Guls after we'd been blowing the crap out of the guardsmen), and we were able to resolve that pretty quickly anyways.

It did inspire my son and I to write up some additional characters to try out, as well as try our hand at statting up some other hostiles - namely Orks & Necrons.

We've yet to play them, but the characters we put together were a 3-man team of guardsmen (Sergeant Rekk, Corporal Riley and Private Jones), a Primaris Intercessor (Brother Nicholas), A Necron Cryptarch (Oligarch the Seeker) a Fallen Dark Angel Space Marine Terminator (Angelo) and an Ork Nobz (Strogg). If I remember and anyone's interested, I'll try to put them up later.

It never ends well 
   
Made in au
Sister Oh-So Repentia




 Stormonu wrote:
Finally got my copy and was able to play it today. Missed a rule here or there (notably, the reinforcement rule).

The game is fun, but it's a bit "easy mode". We only had one combat where anyone got hurt (one person underestimated Ur-Guls after we'd been blowing the crap out of the guardsmen), and we were able to resolve that pretty quickly anyways.

It did inspire my son and I to write up some additional characters to try out, as well as try our hand at statting up some other hostiles - namely Orks & Necrons.

We've yet to play them, but the characters we put together were a 3-man team of guardsmen (Sergeant Rekk, Corporal Riley and Private Jones), a Primaris Intercessor (Brother Nicholas), A Necron Cryptarch (Oligarch the Seeker) a Fallen Dark Angel Space Marine Terminator (Angelo) and an Ork Nobz (Strogg). If I remember and anyone's interested, I'll try to put them up later.
Don't worry, it gets potentially more deadly the more you play. Being ambushed by 4 groups of enemies is a lot more dangerous when the first group is a Chaos Lord with 2 Chaos Space Marines and a blob of Traitor Guard. It also turns very bad really quickly with a few unlucky rolls.
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran





Mississippi

Lammia wrote:
 Stormonu wrote:
Finally got my copy and was able to play it today. Missed a rule here or there (notably, the reinforcement rule).

The game is fun, but it's a bit "easy mode". We only had one combat where anyone got hurt (one person underestimated Ur-Guls after we'd been blowing the crap out of the guardsmen), and we were able to resolve that pretty quickly anyways.

It did inspire my son and I to write up some additional characters to try out, as well as try our hand at statting up some other hostiles - namely Orks & Necrons.

We've yet to play them, but the characters we put together were a 3-man team of guardsmen (Sergeant Rekk, Corporal Riley and Private Jones), a Primaris Intercessor (Brother Nicholas), A Necron Cryptarch (Oligarch the Seeker) a Fallen Dark Angel Space Marine Terminator (Angelo) and an Ork Nobz (Strogg). If I remember and anyone's interested, I'll try to put them up later.
Don't worry, it gets potentially more deadly the more you play. Being ambushed by 4 groups of enemies is a lot more dangerous when the first group is a Chaos Lord with 2 Chaos Space Marines and a blob of Traitor Guard. It also turns very bad really quickly with a few unlucky rolls.


Funnily enough, we had an encounter with Obsidian Mallux & company already. We toasted him (and most of the guard) in a single turn (thanks to the lady with the flamethrower, mostly)

It never ends well 
   
Made in us
Legendary Dogfighter





In a Desert Exile

 Stormonu wrote:
Finally got my copy and was able to play it today. Missed a rule here or there (notably, the reinforcement rule).

The game is fun, but it's a bit "easy mode". We only had one combat where anyone got hurt (one person underestimated Ur-Guls after we'd been blowing the crap out of the guardsmen), and we were able to resolve that pretty quickly anyways.

It did inspire my son and I to write up some additional characters to try out, as well as try our hand at statting up some other hostiles - namely Orks & Necrons.

We've yet to play them, but the characters we put together were a 3-man team of guardsmen (Sergeant Rekk, Corporal Riley and Private Jones), a Primaris Intercessor (Brother Nicholas), A Necron Cryptarch (Oligarch the Seeker) a Fallen Dark Angel Space Marine Terminator (Angelo) and an Ork Nobz (Strogg). If I remember and anyone's interested, I'll try to put them up later.


The dark mech are scary as all heck. They outright killed our Man of Iron after ganging up on him 2 to 1 easily, with their denying defense rule.

One thing I am a bit miffed about is that the rules seem so scattered. It was really a pain to look things up because what you need could be in one of three different books, with no page numbers listed. It took us half an hour just to find the token chart explaining each token! (felt stupid after we found it, being on the back of one of the books and all) but I feel it could have been much, much better organized.

That said, I really like it! The models were fun to build, and I think will be fun to paint. The game itself is fun!

Salamanders are the best chapter.

 
   
Made in pl
Been Around the Block




 Togusa wrote:

One thing I am a bit miffed about is that the rules seem so scattered. It was really a pain to look things up because what you need could be in one of three different books, with no page numbers listed. It took us half an hour just to find the token chart explaining each token! (felt stupid after we found it, being on the back of one of the books and all) but I feel it could have been much, much better organized.

That said, I really like it! The models were fun to build, and I think will be fun to paint. The game itself is fun!


We tested it with friend last night and i have the same opinion. Its because i was the only one who read the rules beforehand

Anyway the game is fun.

We also didnt know if arriving hostile reinforcements move or shoot. In the rules it says when they arrive they have to attack and if they dont have target they have to move (not charge). However just below this text it says hostiles are not activated. We assume they indeed shoot (or move) but its not an activation because its not a behaviour roll. Do we assume how it is supposed to be?
   
Made in vn
Dakka Veteran




 Togusa wrote:


One thing I am a bit miffed about is that the rules seem so scattered. It was really a pain to look things up because what you need could be in one of three different books, with no page numbers listed. It took us half an hour just to find the token chart explaining each token! (felt stupid after we found it, being on the back of one of the books and all) but I feel it could have been much, much better organized.



The rule book with the tag "Read this first" start to make no sense halfway through, only explain until you open the "Combat" one with the tag "When combat occur", and GW actually think it is a good format.
   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch






Played our first test game the other night. Overall..."meh" is the feeling I came away with. Will reserve judgment until we play several more games. Doesn't look like it has the legs I was expecting it to have though (upon digging through the content).

 
   
Made in us
Near Golden Daemon Caliber





Affton, MO. USA

 Elbows wrote:
Played our first test game the other night. Overall..."meh" is the feeling I came away with. Will reserve judgment until we play several more games. Doesn't look like it has the legs I was expecting it to have though (upon digging through the content).

Which will be how they expand the game and scope with a trickle release of models and rules.

LOL, Theo your mind is an amazing place, never change.-camkierhi 9/19/13
I cant believe theo is right.. damn. -comradepanda 9/26/13
None of the strange ideas we had about you involved your sexual orientation..........-Monkeytroll 12/10/13

I'd put you on ignore for that comment, if I could...Alpharius 2/11/14 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






Yeah I'm not trying to convince anyone to play it now. Maybe after a few expansions it'll come off the shelf. Still happy with the models, especially if they get kill team rules

Battlescribe Catalog Editor - Please report bugs here http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/#/repo/wh40k 
   
Made in tw
Dakka Veteran





I think its alright as it is, and has alot og potential.

The biggest thing it needs is a more tactically interesting variety of enemies.

As it stands now everything seems like stuff you want to keep at a distance amd shoot. The game needs to introduce an enemy that you the player actually want to get into CC with because the enemynis more dangerous at range, amd squishy close up.

Mix them into the enemy pool and then interesting things can happen!

   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




 Elbows wrote:
Played our first test game the other night. Overall..."meh" is the feeling I came away with. Will reserve judgment until we play several more games. Doesn't look like it has the legs I was expecting it to have though (upon digging through the content).


First game is easy, it's the later ones when you're picking between the guys with loot and the guys without injuries things get more tense, as that's the same time the bigger baddies start coming in.
Or were you playing a proper pick up game with all the enemies?

Think after our third cultist/guard fight I was waning a little, then we had a ghoul and drone fight where the AI was different enough to keep it interesting (lots more hiding out of LOS rather than just weathering fire or darting around corners).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/05 00:58:14


 
   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch






We played the first full expedition (minus one combat at the end when we got bored and bailed - having acquired more than enough archeotech and clues). While the game was not awful, it didn't give me any buzz about wanting to play it again immediately. I think the main disappointment is just how non-elegant the overall design ended up being. Dozens of ideas thrown together without massaging them into a logical, flowing, enjoyable game.

Again, will definitely be trying several more games, but I suspect this'll be a 3 month wonder and then disappear. Still happy with the minis, and confident I can pawn off some (painted, perhaps) and recoup the small chunk I paid for it. Not a big deal. Will see in a few weeks how I'm feeling about it.

Full disclosure; I design games as a hobby and small side-business. Normally a game like this would get me juiced up to make a bunch of fan-content. But the core mechanics aren't appealing to me yet (hell, I designed expansions for the WHQ Card Game when FFG dropped it!). So it's not about depth of baddies etc. - those are always easy to invent.

 
   
Made in us
Using Object Source Lighting





Portland

So, to those of you who've played Silver Tower, how do you think it compares?

Specifically, my group found ST really dumb and easy, until we artificially increased the difficulty, at which point it at least had a little tension, and was fun enough to run through the campaign and then again after several months; not fantastic, but pretty enjoyable.

How do you think BF would compare to that experience?


My painted armies (40k, WM/H, Malifaux, Infinity...) 
   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch






I found our first expedition too easy, and have seen numerous discussions to that effect. But can't really claim either way till I get more stuck in. It required little to no effort to blaze through the four combats of the expedition.

 
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran





Mississippi

We played one general expedition with four combats (none of the challenges came up), got our clues, shopped at Precipice and then went after the first vault (Descent) [which had it's own 6 encounters before hitting the vault]. We missed the reinforcement rules section until we read the vault section, that was about the only "major" thing we got wrong. Our group consisted of the Rogue trader captain, the Kroot, the "Imperial" robot and the flamethrower-toting purifier. The only thing we didn't encounter were spindle drones; we fought everything else and even had an encounter with Obsidian Malleux, and killed him before he was able to act (with a small combination of luck and a LOT of strategy).

With that said, my opinion of the game is it's like watching a hollywood summer blockbuster. Shut your mind off and enjoy the explosions and the action-packed romp. The game's good fun, worth the price is you can get it at a discount, but don't expect a lot from it. It does have a lot of opportunity for expansion though, and I hope we'll see GW put out more content with both baddies and heroes you can throw into the game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/05 05:47:32


It never ends well 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

 Stormonu wrote:
It does have a lot of opportunity for expansion though, and I hope we'll see GW put out more content with both baddies and heroes you can throw into the game.
I think that's what a lot of us are banking on.

If Necromunda was GW's attempt at an 'Early Access' game, then Blackstone Fortress might be their 'Live Service' game.

   
Made in ca
Battle-tested Knight Castellan Pilot





Vancouver BC Canada

 H.B.M.C. wrote:
My copy of Blackstone Fortress arrived!!!



Along with a few other things. *cough*




Man..... you have a problem...."Looks at all my 40k scale titans".... I guess I do also atleast your problem is cheaper them my problem

Awesome hall there.

CATS- How are you gentlemen?
CATS- All your base are belong to us.
CATS- You are on the way to destruction.
Captain -What you say?
CATS- You have no chance to survive make your time.
CATS HA HA HA!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hi%20Welcome



 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Well, you call it a haul. I call it a *cough* slight... restock.

   
Made in es
Dakka Veteran





https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/12/05/5th-dec-kill-team-command-roster-and-the-servants-of-the-abyss-waiting-on-cr-linkgw-homepage-post-3/


Rules for KILL TEAM
   
Made in si
Steady Stonecleaver







Looks a bit lazy, but better thought out than Rogue Trader.

Posters on ignore list: 33

40k Potica Edition - 40k patch with reactions, suppression and all that good stuff. Feedback thread here.

Gangs of Nu Ork - Necromunda / Gorkamorka expansion supporting all faction. Feedback thread here
   
Made in gb
Wing Commander



London

Definitely agree about rules being scattered around. There’s really no reason to split the three up. And a summary of the turn sequence(s) would be really helpful.

It took us a really long time to find out that you could only cure grievous wounds by returning to precipice, for example. In fact it doesn’t say that you even remove them there except in the FAQ. It would be pretty simple for them to just say that, but instead they say that there’s no way to remove them during an “encounter” – when what I think they mean is “expedition”.

I played a bunch of BSF all day on Friday and Saturday morning. We did an expedition all the way through and then took down a stronghold. So we’re something like a quarter of the way through the campaign after maybe 12+ hours of play. It’s not a quick game you can play with friends – particularly not people who haven’t played before. You’ll want to seriously invest time in it, or not.

It’s fun though. The different characters are different enough for it to matter. I really like how the monsters have behaviour tables so they don’t all just act the same way.

All the different monsters are cool. Actually a fair few of the grievous wounds we suffered were caused by guardsmen with lasguns. Their aim action means that they can do a cover-ignoring shot from far away. On the other hand we quickly realised how scary negavolt cultists and the flamer guardsmen are, so we tended to nuke them down fast.

It’s a fun game overall but not a must-have. I’d quite like to use some of the great minis in 40k but that doesn’t look particularly feasible. I don’t get how the Imperial guys’ factions are supposed to work, as currently it doesn’t seem possible to include most of them in detachments.
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran





Mississippi

It’s really annoying that the 40K datasheets attempt to limit you to adding only a single box’s content to a game. There’s absolutely no reason they should have limited the number of Negavolt, Rogue Psyker, Beastmen and most especially traitor guardsmen squads you can add to your army. It’s an aggravatingly stupid limitation that has no business existing.

It never ends well 
   
Made in gb
Wing Commander



London

 Stormonu wrote:
It’s really annoying that the 40K datasheets attempt to limit you to adding only a single box’s content to a game. There’s absolutely no reason they should have limited the number of Negavolt, Rogue Psyker, Beastmen and most especially traitor guardsmen squads you can add to your army. It’s an aggravatingly stupid limitation that has no business existing.

True, especially since the fortress is obviously full of loads of these guys.

I'm confused by the Imperial characters though. There doesn't seem to be any legal way to include some of them in a list, except maybe as auxiliary detachments. The ratlings, Kroot and Ranger fit into their armies with no problems though. I don't know if Taddius and Vorne will work for sisters lists - they may well cancel out the equivalent of chapter tactics unless they have a special rule, as they won't belong to a convent (or whatever they end up being called).

Am I missing something?
   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch






Well, in theory you can run any of them as their own auxiliary detachment, which only needs to share the <IMPERIUM> keyword. Though you'd lose a CP for it.

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






The spindle drones can be in any army as an auxiliary detachment since they're Unaligned. I know they're not "good" but I'm gonna do that anyway.

Battlescribe Catalog Editor - Please report bugs here http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/#/repo/wh40k 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: