Switch Theme:

Swappable sponson weapons for Landraiders  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
Author Message

Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.

Made in us
Huge Hierodule

North Bay, CA

I recently bought a Land Raider Redeemer and noodled around a bit trying to figure out how to make the sponson weapons swappable. I though about using magnets then discarded the idea because I didn't think the magnets would be strong enough and the fuel tanks for the flamers are too big to fit if the center post is glued in. I decided to replace the entire center post. All you'll really need is some 3/16" styrene tubing and some 3mm round rod. I got both of them at the local model train store.

First, cut a length of tubing to fit the interior of the Land Raider sponson. This is what you're going to hang the weapons from. Next, file or cut a slot into both sides of the 3mm rod. You need this so that the targeter will fit onto the end. It may be hard to see in the picture, given that it's white on white.

The first thing we're going to make is the pin that holds the weapon in place. Fit the targeter to the end of your rod and glue. Drop this through the two holes on the sponson, mark where it exits the lower part, and trim to fit. You may want to leave a little bit exposed to make it easier to extract later.

Using a round file, file out a shallow groove on both sides of the sponson weapons, right at the mounting hole. This will give the model glue a little more surface area to work with. Here's what my flamer and hurricane bolter assemblies look like.

You're pretty much done. All you have to do now to swap out weapons is to pull out the center pin and pull the weapon out. Here's the flamer in place, without the side guard.

To change to the hurricane bolters, just position over the holes and drop the pin in.

To be honest, I haven't quite figured out what to do with the side shields. I'm thinking I might just glue them to the flamers and fabricate another set of shields for the bolters. If and when I acquire a set of lascannons, I can add this set in the same way and they'll have their own side shields.

Made in us
Fixture of Dakka

dead account

These look effing brilliant! Now to find a hobby/model store nearby to get the necessary materials...
Made in us
Servoarm Flailing Magos


That is an original idea, mad kudos for that. What makes you think those rare earth magnets wouldn't be strong enough, out of curiosity?

http://www.teun135miniaturewargaming.blogspot.com/ https://www.instagram.com/teun135/
Foxphoenix135: Successful Trades: 21
With: romulus571, hisdudeness, Old Man Ultramarine, JHall, carldooley, Kav122, chriachris, gmpoto, Jhall, Nurglitch, steamdragon, DispatchDave, Gavin Thorne, Shenra, RustyKnight, rodt777, DeathReaper, LittleCizur, fett14622, syypher, Maxstreel 
Made in us
Sneaky Kommando

Baltimore, MD

An inspired solution.

Made in us
Huge Hierodule

North Bay, CA

FoxPhoenix135 wrote:That is an original idea, mad kudos for that. What makes you think those rare earth magnets wouldn't be strong enough, out of curiosity?

While the magnets would be strong enough to hold the pieces on, it has more to do with them not being able to handle the torque, as well as it being difficult to get the flamer assemblies out. I tried to dry fit them and I had a hard time seeing how I could pull the the flamer + tanks out. The bolters would hold on ok, but to then get the assemblies to rotate back into place, I think the magnets wouldn't hold well enough to allow the rotation around the original pin.

What I realized after I prepped my Baneblade, was that I could have stuck magnets into the holes as well as the ends of the mounting post. That would have been another solution.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2009/04/13 05:35:47

Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut

I've Magnetized Land Raiders with Las Cannon and Hurricane Bolter sponsons and the magnets work just fine. Rotation is slightly limited but they come off easily if blown off. I haven't done the new Flamer sponsons yet as I haven't got any and not really interested in taking Redeemers.

Great tutorial Ifurita.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2009/04/13 16:05:33

Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User

I like the design here, looks like it will serve quite well. As for the side shielding, magnets would likely pose no problems for what you're after.
Forum Index » Painting & Modeling Tutorials
Go to: