Switch Theme:

Update on the Faun Project  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 ingtaer wrote:
That sucks to hear mate, hope it wasn't too acrimonious.
But then there was good news as well! Look forward to seeing the samples.



Alarming when the molder claims you cant good details until about 40mm. All wasn't in vain though, we kept in contact with leads and we will be partnering with Wargames Atlantic LLC to make some models. We had some common goals in mind, and thought our models could coexist. Down payment out tomorrow, sprue formation is changing a bit, but more later.
   
Made in de
Primus





Rhein Main Gebiet

Wow, that is alarming.

"What do you want?"
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Morden and Vir, In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 StygianBeach wrote:
Wow, that is alarming.



Tim called some major bs to.



   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Bare arms have at least 2 each, shoulder pad and shield 2 as well. To streamline the first mold, while also offering parts enough to do weapons and bodies, we condensed, and placed parts as so. Mentality hasn't changed much, as the females will replicate the idea, and the third focusing on the goody bag of weapons.


Tooling is streamlined, so after the male, we expect to try 10k for each section of the molds thereafter. 10K nets females, 20k weapons, 30k centaurs etc
[Thumb - layout.png]

   
Made in nz
[MOD]
Villanous Scum






Is that one sprue mirrored or one sprue complete (with 4 bodies but mirrored)?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/15 09:34:36


On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Mirrored. We can essentially produce two bodies twice if needed, alleviating the space for the third mold where we can increase the amount of parts to toy with
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




off topic, but I couldn't help but find: wargames factory LTD does GW stuff?
   
Made in us
Repentia Mistress





Kansas

rgdgaming wrote:
off topic, but I couldn't help but find: wargames factory LTD does GW stuff?


Having signed an NDA when I was painting Wargames Factory's display models a couple years ago (which is likely still in force), I can neither confirm nor deny that.

Curious where you discovered that?

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Cargo logs on ships. Didn't need an insider for that. They routed product through Port of Tacoma, thousands of age of sigmar stuff.


https://panjiva.com/Wargames-Factory-Ltd/33258484


According to some others, they are almost exclusively GW



This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/19 00:34:00


 
   
Made in nz
[MOD]
Villanous Scum






I heard that they were originally making some of the terrain and later picked up some slack when the whole GW warehouse debacle happened.

They also do Kingdon Death and Malifaux as well as others, they have a pretty distinctive way of making sprues so are often easy to spot.

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Seems they do some of the stuff. Im sure if subscribed more cargo logs could be found. But you can trace each companies molder to a boat, Hong Kong seems to be really popular.


0.2mm-0.3mm molders aren't too hard to find
0.1mm molders definitely locked up


Rubicon models appears to be one of the best shots, they partner with a studio in HK.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Looking for critiques and feedback on the kickstarter page preview for now. We are awaiting samples in February, so updates are inevitably due. We want to hear how we can step it up a notch for you. Delivery times aren't set in stone yet, and we want to show mold samples on the page.


https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rgdgaming/1482710497?ref=736381&token=80ddeecc&fbclid=IwAR3rCkncRipodQXF5JEITNBEtqSUoegfCS7M5n0-2OXUWxP3gR9Cja1QOS8

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/01/22 07:04:14


 
   
Made in us
Unhealthy Competition With Other Legions




Philadelphia PA

IMO the comparison photos are too dark - I can't really see the details on the minis.

I mean I know from the posts here you have a good product, but as someone just taking a scroll through it doesn't jump out at me.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 ScarletRose wrote:
IMO the comparison photos are too dark - I can't really see the details on the minis.

I mean I know from the posts here you have a good product, but as someone just taking a scroll through it doesn't jump out at me.




Better lighting, check.
   
Made in de
Primus





Rhein Main Gebiet

It is great to see the project come so far, but it pains me to write that the models are just not Heroic enough for me.
Sure up close they look great, but from my lofty heights over the table they will look too thin and smooth for my unsophisticated eyes.
I like easy to see details, even if it defies realistic anatomy, but I know others prefer a more true representation.

"What do you want?"
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Morden and Vir, In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 StygianBeach wrote:
It is great to see the project come so far, but it pains me to write that the models are just not Heroic enough for me.
Sure up close they look great, but from my lofty heights over the table they will look too thin and smooth for my unsophisticated eyes.
I like easy to see details, even if it defies realistic anatomy, but I know others prefer a more true representation.



I would reserve judgement until we get some painted models, and some better photos. I realize that everything on the page so far isn't necessarily over the top. One thing we've always needed was a good photographer. Consensus so far is better photos, any info that stands out as weird to you guys?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/22 09:06:15


 
   
Made in nz
[MOD]
Villanous Scum






rgdgaming wrote:
Looking for critiques and feedback on the kickstarter page preview for now. We are awaiting samples in February, so updates are inevitably due. We want to hear how we can step it up a notch for you. Delivery times aren't set in stone yet, and we want to show mold samples on the page.


https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rgdgaming/1482710497?ref=736381&token=80ddeecc&fbclid=IwAR3rCkncRipodQXF5JEITNBEtqSUoegfCS7M5n0-2OXUWxP3gR9Cja1QOS8


I don't want to come off wrong so forgiveness in advance but mate those photos are awful, do yourself a favour and spend a few extra bucks to hire a professional with rig. They are the showcase of your talent and hardwork as well as being the main draw for your project and you really shouldn't skimp here. Renders are great and can sell projects by themselves but if you have actual miniatures to show then they need to be seen in the best possible light, for clarity/detail/hype the photos need to be as good as you can get including dressed sets etc. Further to this, the photo labelled the mini that strated it all needs to be front and center, it is well painted and looks fantastic, furthermore it makes much more sense to show first than the centaur which is a stretch goal, so why is the centaur shown first in the model stage? I would ask you to cut out from "Resin, Pewter and 3D Prototypes" to "*lead free pewter at 34.5mm" and add that to the end (just before goals). If the text starts with the Faun that began it all and ran through to the Centaur/Minotaur the story makes sense and show cases the initial goal.

Second, your shipping means nothing. Whats a LB of sprues? I don't know and am not going to go and weigh my sprues to find out. I could, but if I am going to give you money you should make it as easy as possible for me to do so. Estimate how many boxes that comes too per tier, round it out and add a slight margin and list that as the price (ie. four boxes of Fauns costs tier 1 shipping to EU rather than a LB).

Third, solely as a matter of taste but I found it read as rather clinical... it lacks jazz/hype. It lets me know what you are doing, why and what it costs but it lacks a certain excitement.

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire.
Keeping the flame of Babylon 5 A Call to Arms alive, check it out;
Babylon 5 ACTA campaign log
Babylon 5 ACTA Painting log
 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 ingtaer wrote:
rgdgaming wrote:
Looking for critiques and feedback on the kickstarter page preview for now. We are awaiting samples in February, so updates are inevitably due. We want to hear how we can step it up a notch for you. Delivery times aren't set in stone yet, and we want to show mold samples on the page.


https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rgdgaming/1482710497?ref=736381&token=80ddeecc&fbclid=IwAR3rCkncRipodQXF5JEITNBEtqSUoegfCS7M5n0-2OXUWxP3gR9Cja1QOS8


I don't want to come off wrong so forgiveness in advance but mate those photos are awful, do yourself a favour and spend a few extra bucks to hire a professional with rig. They are the showcase of your talent and hardwork as well as being the main draw for your project and you really shouldn't skimp here. Renders are great and can sell projects by themselves but if you have actual miniatures to show then they need to be seen in the best possible light, for clarity/detail/hype the photos need to be as good as you can get including dressed sets etc. Further to this, the photo labelled the mini that strated it all needs to be front and center, it is well painted and looks fantastic, furthermore it makes much more sense to show first than the centaur which is a stretch goal, so why is the centaur shown first in the model stage? I would ask you to cut out from "Resin, Pewter and 3D Prototypes" to "*lead free pewter at 34.5mm" and add that to the end (just before goals). If the text starts with the Faun that began it all and ran through to the Centaur/Minotaur the story makes sense and show cases the initial goal.

Second, your shipping means nothing. Whats a LB of sprues? I don't know and am not going to go and weigh my sprues to find out. I could, but if I am going to give you money you should make it as easy as possible for me to do so. Estimate how many boxes that comes too per tier, round it out and add a slight margin and list that as the price (ie. four boxes of Fauns costs tier 1 shipping to EU rather than a LB).

Third, solely as a matter of taste but I found it read as rather clinical... it lacks jazz/hype. It lets me know what you are doing, why and what it costs but it lacks a certain excitement.




(no offense taken on the photos, I need place holders)

This is the kind of critique I was looking for. When it started out, it was an idea for price ranges in shipping. When the actual set got put together, we could weigh it and give people a better response. So going with the pewter faun up front, leading to the eventual sprues/painted models, letting it transition to the centaurs going down I could see that being more natural to people going from one end to the next.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




This is what you guys would probably expect.
[Thumb - ghoul king.jpg]

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Tim also has photoshop, this a bit better?
[Thumb - photoshop.jpg]

[Thumb - female 3D.jpg]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/01/22 22:10:55


 
   
Made in ca
Phanobi






Canada,Prince Edward Island

I would look at some of the big miniature kickstarters for some inspiration. CMON always have very bright and energetic pages for every game they churn out that I would recommend looking at.

No amount of photoshop is going to save those pictures though, better to stick to just pictures of renders unless you have the actual models professionally done I think.

Maybe a 360 degree video of an individual faun would be a good addition as well?

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Effectively, emblem, intro, photo of products, kickstarter pledge goodies, goals, shipping info. Bordered pics.
   
Made in gb
Basecoated Black





You don't need to hire a photographer, thousands manage perfectly decent photos every day. You really need to get this sorted asap.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/06/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/

Check out my facebook page 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 Huginn wrote:
You don't need to hire a photographer, thousands manage perfectly decent photos every day. You really need to get this sorted asap.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/06/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/


This is good stuff.


Reworking the page strategy, condensing and focusing. I don't expect it to be the level of Cmon, but ill take some inspiration from their layout.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






Sterling, Virginia

So, this is amazing, and exactly why I love Dakka, despite not being around for a year or so. Love it all, thank you so much for taking the time to share it in so much detail!

Fauns and centaurs have been a project I have been messing with for a while, and you are doing a great job, so much so that I will probably just buy these and not mess with mine anymore

One idea for the two handed weapons, to add variety, is to make 2-3 different arm sets holding shafts, then have a handful of different tops that can be added. If each head has a small hole or divot where the top of the shaft can nestle into it will be plenty secure, and allow either a lot of uniformity or variation in weapon types and sizes for a minimal amount of sprue space.

Very much looking forward to this launching.


Woad to WAR... on Celts blog, which is mostly Circle Orboros
"I'm sick of auto-penetrating attacks against my behind!" - Kungfuhustler 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 Wehrkind wrote:
So, this is amazing, and exactly why I love Dakka, despite not being around for a year or so. Love it all, thank you so much for taking the time to share it in so much detail!

Fauns and centaurs have been a project I have been messing with for a while, and you are doing a great job, so much so that I will probably just buy these and not mess with mine anymore

One idea for the two handed weapons, to add variety, is to make 2-3 different arm sets holding shafts, then have a handful of different tops that can be added. If each head has a small hole or divot where the top of the shaft can nestle into it will be plenty secure, and allow either a lot of uniformity or variation in weapon types and sizes for a minimal amount of sprue space.

Very much looking forward to this launching.





Really cant say this is a one man thing:


You need talented sculptors, designers, and folks specialized in particular softwares to get you from A to B, and even then the molders available are not going to be what you expect after you talk for weeks getting details back and forth. The learning curve is immense, but surprisingly not as bad as it could be.

I believe I got the priorities people are vibing out there, so currently revamping from top to bottom.

The one thing about these models is that they are different in style and design vs other companies, but on par with height and feel. I don't think it will come across until people have it in their hands. Hence we got to double our efforts .


   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Tim Barry has started playing with the centaurs. Thickened the legs, added hair, line of draft already
[Thumb - 51683553_2088773821203949_6418588333336690688_n.png]

[Thumb - 51596764_2088788971202434_7761842202724007936_n.png]

[Thumb - 51474578_2088774787870519_728330430817763328_o.png]

   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps







Those proportions seem better to me, for a tabletop figure.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




 kestral wrote:
Those proportions seem better to me, for a tabletop figure.


Effectively he scaled it up 10%
   
Made in de
Primus





Rhein Main Gebiet

 kestral wrote:
Those proportions seem better to me, for a tabletop figure.


I agree, much better.

"What do you want?"
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Morden and Vir, In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: