Switch Theme:

Rhino the size of Landraider. Land Raider the size of Banebalde. Okay with you in game?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Rhino the size of Landraider. Land Raider the size of Banebalde. Okay with you in game?
yes
no

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





I am making a 28mm true scale marine army....the true scale of rhino is current lr, and a lr is the size of a baneblade....would you allow in game (I'd use correct stats for them, rhino=rhino & lr = lr).....
[Thumb - Image423.jpg]
this isnt mine but a good example of what I mean....

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2009/05/14 15:41:49


 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka



Chicago, Illinois

Only if it looks badass; if it looks like gak no. Badass yes, gak , No.

That is my answer.

If I lose it is because I had bad luck, if you win it is because you cheated. 
   
Made in us
Hunter with Harpoon Laucher




Castle Clarkenstein

What he said. Doing them in true scale, and looking good would be awesome. Poorly made, big 'things with tracks'...would be less so.

....and lo!.....The Age of Sigmar came to an end when Saint Veetock and his hamster legions smote the false Sigmar and destroyed the bubbleverse and lead the true believers back to the Old World.
 
   
Made in ca
Storm Trooper with Maglight





Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I would say no in the interest of gameplay simplicity. If everything was exactly to scale we'd have to play on 10' by 14' tables and vehicles would cost 3 fortunes instead of 2. The vehicles are the size they are because it's (somewhat) balanced. A gigantic rhino is a much easier target, provides more cover, and would make tank shocks work differently. The rules wouldnt have to change, but the game itself would.

Besides, the Valkyrie is gargantuan as it is. Imagine if it was to scale!

~2100 pts
~2400 pts (Paladins, not imperial fist or gryphons!)
~2000 pts
DT:80S+GM+B--I+Pw40k09#--D++A++/areWD-R++T(T)DM+
 
   
Made in us
Widowmaker





Virginia

Do whatever you want, it's a game.

2012- stopped caring
Nova Open 2011- Orks 8th Seed---(I see a trend)
Adepticon 2011- Mike H. Orks 8th Seed (This was the WTF list of the Final 16)
Adepticon 2011- Combat Patrol Best General 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

Sure why not. It hurts you more than it helps you, so you're obviously not doing it to be 'competative', so it's fine.

As Yak says, you can use modelling to your advantange. This is true. The opposite is also true - you can use modelling to your disadvantage, and this is a good example of that.

Make sure you show us the Land Raider. Sounds great!

   
Made in gb
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot





London, England

Isn't that Apologist's?

sA

My Loyalist P&M Log, Irkutsk 24th

"And what is wrong with their life? What on earth is less reprehensible than the life of the Levovs?"
- American Pastoral, Philip Roth

Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
We laughed at him, we leagued with him, old chum.
No soldier's paid to kick against His powers.
We laughed - knowing that better men would come,
And greater wars: when each proud fighter brags
He wars on Death, for lives; not men, for flags. 
   
Made in de
Plastictrees





Bonn

Yeah, i think its part of his Calth army
   
Made in us
Trigger-Happy Baal Predator Pilot






Question then how big would a tru-scale baneblade be? Just wondering im rather interested in this.

2000 points
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/downloadAttach/19113.page
500 points
1500 points "You don’t want to play Blood Angels to be different you play them because you finally realized that they go crazy and drink blood yet haven’t been killed off by the Inquisition. Proving that they are just bada**”  
   
Made in gb
Lone Wolf Sentinel Pilot





London, England

I would expect not too big comparing to its current brethren. If you think about it, it's not a transport constraint issue, and it's pretty damn huge as it is. The thing I'm worried about is the cannon -- surely that thing would just rip the turret off every time it fired?

sA

My Loyalist P&M Log, Irkutsk 24th

"And what is wrong with their life? What on earth is less reprehensible than the life of the Levovs?"
- American Pastoral, Philip Roth

Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
We laughed at him, we leagued with him, old chum.
No soldier's paid to kick against His powers.
We laughed - knowing that better men would come,
And greater wars: when each proud fighter brags
He wars on Death, for lives; not men, for flags. 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut






Springhurst, VIC, Australia

I really like this, it is more credible to carry the ten space marines.

DC:90+S++G++MB+I+Pw40k98-ID++A++/hWD284R++T(T)DM+

Squigy's Gallery, come have a look
 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Here is a size comparisson....pic is not my stuff......
[Thumb - pocalypse,%20Baneblade,%20Imperial%20Guard,%20Land%20Raider,%20Space%20Marines,%20Terminus%20Ultra,%20Ultramarines,%20Warhammer%2040,000.jpg]
make a lr from a baneblade size compare

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Of course someone did a lr out of a baneblade already!

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=14502&view=getnewpost
[Thumb - ampk5t.jpg]

[Thumb - awxp4k.jpg]

[Thumb - x6k0gh.jpg]

[Thumb - zuqh61.jpg]

   
Made in us
Been Around the Block





I voted no, and here is why.

If you are doing it to be fluffy and model a cool army, that is great. If all your marines are bigger, I think it would even things out.

BUT if you have ever played against someone that uses their rhinos as a mobile terrain wall you will realize how cheesy making them bigger is because of TLOS.

I can now hide two demon princes behind a 35 point rhino, and if it gets blown up, it will still give me a 4+ cover save - PLUS I've got 5 more 35 point rhinos in the army, and all of them are land raider sized!

Of course if you tru scaled your demon prince it wouldn't matter, but hopefully you see my point of how this could be cheezy.

WOuld I let you do it? yeah, your motivations are good.

Would I let anyone do it? Heck no, the cheese potential is there.
   
Made in de
Dakka Veteran




I voted yes, That Sh*t is awesome! Well done mate.


DA 3rd Co. w/duelwing 6000+ pts
Mostly tanks 2000+ pts
Ultras 3rd Co and 1st Co. 7000+ pts
Harald Deathwolf's Co. 7000+ pts
4000+ pts (Daemonhunters)
Kabal of the Hydra 5000+ pts
Skullrippa'z Freebootaz 6000+ pts
Plague Marine Force 2000+ pts
and not finished until I own some of every army
 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





hancock.tom wrote:I voted no, and here is why.

If you are doing it to be fluffy and model a cool army, that is great. If all your marines are bigger, I think it would even things out.

BUT if you have ever played against someone that uses their rhinos as a mobile terrain wall you will realize how cheesy making them bigger is because of TLOS.

I can now hide two demon princes behind a 35 point rhino, and if it gets blown up, it will still give me a 4+ cover save - PLUS I've got 5 more 35 point rhinos in the army, and all of them are land raider sized!

Of course if you tru scaled your demon prince it wouldn't matter, but hopefully you see my point of how this could be cheezy.

WOuld I let you do it? yeah, your motivations are good.

Would I let anyone do it? Heck no, the cheese potential is there.


I can understand your point.

However, I am making a 28mm true scale marine army. The tacticals will be 1/2" taller (a head taller), termies will be 3/4" taller, and the dread is 1" taller.....The rhino would be proportionate to the new sized minis, gaining only a 1/2" all around, the lr would gain an 1 1/2" all around....So, in my thought, my opponent would gain more advantage for cover with a downed vehicle then me....

Heck, if ever someone didn't want to have a fun game, and was going to point out a 1/4" over measure, do I want to play with them? Tell you what, if ever we meet for a game, I'll grant you first turn!
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





What I actually planned for the lr conversion was more like this (see photoshopped photo).....
[Thumb - awxp4k.jpg]

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





College Park, MD

I voted no since that's what my default response would be. That said, if it looked good, you didn't use the extra size to any significant game advantage, and were a decent enough person to play with, I'd probably have no problems playing against it. I'd just be a little suspicious the first few games (much like I've been as a friend has been trying out a Necron fandex.) It'd really be hard to say without seeing the whole army.

 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





If it ever came down to someone really having a problem with it, I'd allow them first turn & even an extra pts on their list, like I'd use my 1750 against a 2k list, or 2k against a 2250 list (in their favor)....

I'm sure tournies (judges) will have their own say, as in yes or no!

Otherwise 40 marines, a dread, a drop pod, and 2 oversized rhinos, and 1 oversized lr will be hard pressed against many armies....
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

krazynadechukr2 wrote:Of course someone did a lr out of a baneblade already!

http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=14502&view=getnewpost

That is AWESOME!

*Great* conversion.
____

The original design is better, but the assault ramp should have been angled more...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2009/05/15 18:47:37


   
Made in us
Trigger-Happy Baal Predator Pilot






smiling Assassin wrote:I would expect not too big comparing to its current brethren. If you think about it, it's not a transport constraint issue, and it's pretty damn huge as it is. The thing I'm worried about is the cannon -- surely that thing would just rip the turret off every time it fired?

sA


Ah thanks. Very true about the cannon.

Moving on. The Baneblade LR is amazing.

2000 points
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/downloadAttach/19113.page
500 points
1500 points "You don’t want to play Blood Angels to be different you play them because you finally realized that they go crazy and drink blood yet haven’t been killed off by the Inquisition. Proving that they are just bada**”  
   
Made in us
Junior Officer with Laspistol






The eye of terror.

Honestly.... I think that "truescale" marines aren't really that great of a thing to pursue, the models aren't as out-of-scale as people seem to think they are. If anything, the plastic Cadians are just too big.

However, these conversions look nice, and I wouldn't mind playing against them... however there is a point that it can go too far.

For instance, at my FLGS league night a guy showed up with 3 *HUGE* battlewagons.

One was just a stompa proxying a battlewagon.

One was a nicely converted pirate-air-ship.

One was a pretty standard converted battle-wagon, but still very extra-big.

He was using the extra size to get extra assault range out of them, and because it extends the range of an embarked KFF by a lot.

It was obvious that he was doing it purely for game advantage, because none of his "battlewagons" matched each other, and the stompa is a much more expensive kit that was actually released after the current battlewagon model.

I don't think I'll be playing against him any time soon.

Why did the berzerker cross the road?
Gwar! wrote:Willydstyle has it correct
Gwar! wrote:Yup you're absolutely right

New to the game and can't win? Read this.

 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka






Sterling, Virginia

Be careful upscaling your rhinos and landraiders too much. A lot of people I see making rhinos "properly fit 10 marines" really butcher it, as they seem to forget that you can squeeze a lot of people in a very small space. APCs are not built for comfort, and as such being able to stand fully erect is not a requirement. Neither is elbow room or cup holders
But that is more a modeling concern, not a rules/gaming concern. Game wise I wouldn't have a problem with it, but in a tourney I would fully expect people to be a little twitchy on the subject, as using the LR for extra assault distance, or Rhinos as moving walls would get easier.


Woad to WAR... on Celts blog, which is mostly Circle Orboros
"I'm sick of auto-penetrating attacks against my behind!" - Kungfuhustler 
   
Made in au
Lady of the Lake






I voted yes because in the end it would look better. But, at the same time the Rhino may become easier to kill. It really doesn't put you at an advantage so I don't see why people should have a problem with it.

   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut







My only concern about the Land Raider being scaled up to the size of a Baneblade is that the Baneblade height would be wrong. A Land Raider scaled up to that length and width should be taller because it needs to fit truescale Terminators, not just truescale Marines.
   
Made in us
Raging Ravener




Ohio

I would be OK with it in a friendly game, but since tank shock and cover work based on the size of the model, having bigger tanks changes how the game works, and I wouldn't let it fly in a competitive game.

 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






Burtucky, Michigan

I dont see what the problem is for making a vehicle BIGGER! If you want a rhino the size of a LR, I say go ahead. Its easier for me to hit, AND you have fun trying to hide a big ass tank with crappy armor behind something. Sure, if its wreaked it COULD be more cover for the other guy, but who cares. Thats really the ONLY benefit to making it bigger. The cons IMO far outweigh the pros. Go for it man, as long as your cool with it getting tagged from EVERYWHERE
   
Made in us
Pulsating Possessed Chaos Marine






Pasadena, CA

I remember there was a gw article where someone fit a squad of marines in the old rhino model. I beleive it was early 3rd edition or late 2nd edition

   
Made in ca
Tail Gunner




I think that would be awesome. I have no prblems with changing models for the sake of modeling (not for advantages etc) Besides usually bigger tanks are more liability than anything.

I always thought the tanks, especially transports looked kinda smallish and goofy. This is mainly cause infantry get larger and more detailed. Just look at classic second edition miniatures (if you can find any). they are mush smaller.
   
Made in us
Long-Range Black Templar Land Speeder Pilot




Chicago

I agree with willydstyle in seeing no point to truescaling marines. Against IG that will look great. Against other SM or CSM armies it will look unbelievably stupid. Messing with the scale seems overly picky and I can't see being impressed by it unless it was in a diorama or something similar.

Also, on that rhino the tracks now look too small to me. You should use LR tracks to keep the same scale.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Sanctjud wrote:It's not just lame... it's Twilight Blood Angels Nipples Lame.
 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: