Switch Theme:

Suggest Terms for the Dakka Glossary Here  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Norn Queen






TMIR (The Most Important Rule) seems to be a noteworthy omission from the glossary.
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







Is the Glossary still being updated? It looks like nearly 4 years since yakface has posted in here.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in us
[ADMIN]
President of the Mat Ward Fan Club






Los Angeles, CA

 Dysartes wrote:
Is the Glossary still being updated? It looks like nearly 4 years since yakface has posted in here.


Oops, sorry. Having kids will do that to you!

I'll take a pass and add all the ones suggested since I last posted (yes, many years ago), and if anyone wants to add new stuff just keep posting (and you can PM me if you don't see any response from me after a week or two).

Also, if people noice outdated terms in the tooltip pop-up that are no longer relevant for that game please let me know those as well so I can delete them.


Thanks and sorry again!


I play (click on icons to see pics): DQ:70+S++G(FAQ)M++B-I++Pw40k92/f-D+++A+++/areWD104R+T(D)DM+++
yakface's 40K rule #1: Although the rules allow you to use modeling to your advantage, how badly do you need to win your toy soldier games?
yakface's 40K rule #2: Friends don't let friends start a MEQ army.
yakface's 40K rule #3: Codex does not ALWAYS trump the rulebook, so please don't say that!
Waaagh Dakka: click the banner to learn more! 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







No worries, yakface - there were a few tooltips which were saying something about the tooltip not working properly, and the local cache needing updating, or something like that, when I went through the thread yesterday - unfortunately I got rid of my file of notes when I got to the end of the thread and realised the inactivity.

I think DHG (for Dwarven HandGun) was one of them - is that a bug we need to be concerned about?

I imagine a number of AoS faction acronyms are going to need to be added, at a minimum - SoB for "Sons of Behemat" being one example.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






 yakface wrote:
 Dysartes wrote:
Is the Glossary still being updated? It looks like nearly 4 years since yakface has posted in here.


Oops, sorry. Having kids will do that to you!

I'll take a pass and add all the ones suggested since I last posted (yes, many years ago), and if anyone wants to add new stuff just keep posting (and you can PM me if you don't see any response from me after a week or two).

Also, if people noice outdated terms in the tooltip pop-up that are no longer relevant for that game please let me know those as well so I can delete them.


Thanks and sorry again!



Yay, you're back!

 Jidmah wrote:
Is this thread still in use?

If it is, there are a few things missing for orks and DG:
LoC - Lord of Contagion
PBC - Plagueburst Crawler
MBH - Myphitic Blight-Hauler

KBB - Kustom Boosta-blasta
SJD - Shokkjump Dragsta

Maybe unnecessary, but those keep getting used more often now:
BM - Bad Moons
DS - Deathskulls
ES - Evil Sunz


BM didn't really stick, especially with them falling out of favor with 9th. All others are still commonly used.

Some new ones:
DDD - the ork's army rule DakkaDakkaDakka
GT2020 and GT2021 - GW's mission packs
DTTFE/DttFE) - Death to the False Emperor (CSM)
LoW - Lord of War
SHA - Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment
LoV - Lord of Virulence (new DG HQ)
PM - Plague Marine

And maybe add "Drukhari" to the explanation of what DE means - some people don't know that they used to be Dark Eldar
Same for IG and Astra Militarum

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in us
[ADMIN]
President of the Mat Ward Fan Club






Los Angeles, CA

Dysartes wrote:No worries, yakface - there were a few tooltips which were saying something about the tooltip not working properly, and the local cache needing updating, or something like that, when I went through the thread yesterday - unfortunately I got rid of my file of notes when I got to the end of the thread and realised the inactivity.

I think DHG (for Dwarven HandGun) was one of them - is that a bug we need to be concerned about?

I imagine a number of AoS faction acronyms are going to need to be added, at a minimum - SoB for "Sons of Behemat" being one example.

No worries yet on the strange tooltip notifications, I just need to refresh the glossary cache (which can take a while to do). If you're still seeing that message on some tooltips after that, then we'll need to get Legoburner to investigate further.

Just a reminder, especially now that I'm not really keeping up with 40K (and especially Aos), the info I need to add something to the glossary is:

1) The abbreviation itself.
2) The description of what that abbreviation means.
3) The FULL current faction name that the item belongs to (if it is faction specific).
4) The name of the game that item is part of.
5) For you to use the Dakka Search (found in 'forum tools) to check and verify that the abbreviation is being commonly used by someone besides yourself.

So for something like DHG '(for Dwarven HandGun)' I need to know what faction and/or game that belongs to. Just saying 'Dwarven' is not good enough because I have no idea what the Dwarf factions in AoS are called now or if maybe you're talking about Mantic dwarves for example. Plus according to a quick search 'DHG' isn't being regularly used, so I wouldn't bother adding it anyway.




I play (click on icons to see pics): DQ:70+S++G(FAQ)M++B-I++Pw40k92/f-D+++A+++/areWD104R+T(D)DM+++
yakface's 40K rule #1: Although the rules allow you to use modeling to your advantage, how badly do you need to win your toy soldier games?
yakface's 40K rule #2: Friends don't let friends start a MEQ army.
yakface's 40K rule #3: Codex does not ALWAYS trump the rulebook, so please don't say that!
Waaagh Dakka: click the banner to learn more! 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







DHG isn't one for you to add, yakface, but an example of one that's misbehaving - it shows for me as throwing that cache error in this post earlier in this thread, but I have no idea off-hand if it is one that's needed.

I'll see if I can pull you a list of AOS faction acronyms together over the weekend, despite not playing the game myself.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






 yakface wrote:
Dysartes wrote:No worries, yakface - there were a few tooltips which were saying something about the tooltip not working properly, and the local cache needing updating, or something like that, when I went through the thread yesterday - unfortunately I got rid of my file of notes when I got to the end of the thread and realised the inactivity.

I think DHG (for Dwarven HandGun) was one of them - is that a bug we need to be concerned about?

I imagine a number of AoS faction acronyms are going to need to be added, at a minimum - SoB for "Sons of Behemat" being one example.

No worries yet on the strange tooltip notifications, I just need to refresh the glossary cache (which can take a while to do). If you're still seeing that message on some tooltips after that, then we'll need to get Legoburner to investigate further.

Just a reminder, especially now that I'm not really keeping up with 40K (and especially Aos), the info I need to add something to the glossary is:

1) The abbreviation itself.
2) The description of what that abbreviation means.
3) The FULL current faction name that the item belongs to (if it is faction specific).
4) The name of the game that item is part of.
5) For you to use the Dakka Search (found in 'forum tools) to check and verify that the abbreviation is being commonly used by someone besides yourself.

So for something like DHG '(for Dwarven HandGun)' I need to know what faction and/or game that belongs to. Just saying 'Dwarven' is not good enough because I have no idea what the Dwarf factions in AoS are called now or if maybe you're talking about Mantic dwarves for example. Plus according to a quick search 'DHG' isn't being regularly used, so I wouldn't bother adding it anyway.





Can you provide a sample line? Then I will re-format my post earlier to match that

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

 Dysartes wrote:
I'll see if I can pull you a list of AOS faction acronyms together over the weekend, despite not playing the game myself.

Ingtaer already has a sticky post started for AoS acronyms.

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in us
[ADMIN]
President of the Mat Ward Fan Club






Los Angeles, CA

 Jidmah wrote:
Can you provide a sample line? Then I will re-format my post earlier to match that

No worries, all the stuff you suggested was very straightforward (Deathguard & Orks), so I didn't have any trouble with it.


I play (click on icons to see pics): DQ:70+S++G(FAQ)M++B-I++Pw40k92/f-D+++A+++/areWD104R+T(D)DM+++
yakface's 40K rule #1: Although the rules allow you to use modeling to your advantage, how badly do you need to win your toy soldier games?
yakface's 40K rule #2: Friends don't let friends start a MEQ army.
yakface's 40K rule #3: Codex does not ALWAYS trump the rulebook, so please don't say that!
Waaagh Dakka: click the banner to learn more! 
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka







MESBG - Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game

Not sure if it is common enough to count, but it does seem to have seen quite a few uses recently.

2021 Plog - Here we go again... - my fifth attempt at a Dakka PLOG

My [url=https://pileofpotential.com/dysartes]Pile of Potential[/url - updates ongoing...

Gamgee on Tau Players wrote:we all kill cats and sell our own families to the devil and eat live puppies.


 Kanluwen wrote:
This is, emphatically, why I will continue suggesting nuking Guard and starting over again. It's a legacy army that needs to be rebooted with a new focal point.

Confirmation of why no-one should listen to Kanluwen when it comes to the IG - he doesn't want the IG, he want's Kan's New Model Army... 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran






Two that I just noticed aren't yet in the Glossary:

CWE - Craft World Eldar (Eldar)
KT - Kill Team
   
Made in us
[ADMIN]
President of the Mat Ward Fan Club






Los Angeles, CA


Can someone tell me what does 'EGT' mean in relation to Orks? And it sure seems like the use of that abbreviation for 'Eldar Grav Tank' is no longer used, correct?


I play (click on icons to see pics): DQ:70+S++G(FAQ)M++B-I++Pw40k92/f-D+++A+++/areWD104R+T(D)DM+++
yakface's 40K rule #1: Although the rules allow you to use modeling to your advantage, how badly do you need to win your toy soldier games?
yakface's 40K rule #2: Friends don't let friends start a MEQ army.
yakface's 40K rule #3: Codex does not ALWAYS trump the rulebook, so please don't say that!
Waaagh Dakka: click the banner to learn more! 
   
Made in de
Ork Admiral Kroozin Da Kosmos on Da Hulk






 yakface wrote:

Can someone tell me what does 'EGT' mean in relation to Orks? And it sure seems like the use of that abbreviation for 'Eldar Grav Tank' is no longer used, correct?



"Endless Green Tide" a stratagem that allows you to replenish a unit of boyz. I wouldn't rush adding that though, the codex is due soon and that particular stratagem might not make it.

Earth is not flat
Vaccines work
We've been to the moon
Climate change is real
Chemtrails aren't a thing
Evolution is a fact
Orks are not a melee army
Stand up for science!
 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran






VC - Vampire Counts should be changed to [AoS] and/or [WHFB] from [GEN]. Likely [AoS/WHFB] since they will certainly be included in the returning Old World game they're working on.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/07/09 16:36:57


 
   
Made in us
Lieutenant General





Florence, KY

 SergentSilver wrote:
VC - Vampire Counts should be changed to [AoS] and/or [WHFB] from [GEN]. Likely [AoS/WHFB] since they will certainly be included in the returning Old World game they're working on.

The Old World game will not be a part of the Age of Sigmar setting, nor are the Vampire Counts which are now covered by the Soulblight Gravelords (SBGL) faction.

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
 
Forum Index » Nuts & Bolts
Go to: