Switch Theme:

Mobile / touchscreen users...  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Huge Hierodule






Nottingham (yay!)

Ideally, I’d like to see a baked-in image resizing on the forum itself. In my blog updates, I’m juggling two windows, copying over IMG tags for the ‘recommended’ sized image (which I have to say, produces atrocious artefacts - I’m seriously considering just linking to my Facebook page and mothballing my blogs here for how far behind we’ve fallen), and then adding a spoiler section with all the HD originals.

Instead of this, could we have the image zoom slider thingy from gallery entries overlaid on gallery IMG inserts in posts? Which doesn’t zoom in, it instead increases the resolution (or, rather, decreases the scaling down)? With the rest of the image taking us to the gallery entry?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/18 00:22:58


   
Made in at
Tail-spinning Tomb Blade Pilot





Im havinf some serious issues, been getting them for as long as Ive had this phone... basically, the forum keeps logging me out. Ill open a few threads (number of tabs seems to be irrelevant as far as I can see), and when I switch to the tab Ive just opened, Ill be logged out and the tab is just showing the forum index, rather than the post I opened. On android, using samsungs default browser if thats any help.
   
Made in gb
[ADMIN]
Da Big Mek






London, UK

Are you signed in on other browsers as well?

This is a known bug and I believe I've tracked down the source of the problem but it is a complex one to fix. It is top of the list though!

Check out our new, fully plastic tabletop wargame - Maelstrom's Edge, made by Dakka!
 
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

Sorry this goes off topic. I chose to answer on the top listed topic on Nuts and Bolts.

For some reasons Dakka has suddenly gone screwy. I have lost the background colour and setting, the skeleton is there and I get most functionality but some buttons that are tied to the interface dont appear. For example I cannot open a new thread, hence my 'jacking this one.

Mods please move this. Apologies to the OP.

It might be my computer, though a reset didn't help, but it might be a bug of some sort. Hence the heads up now.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
PS Switch Theme does not work.
Also I have no edit button, in fact any of the corner icons except exalt.

I think it has reverted to basic html, though I don't know enough about that to say.

I repeat though a shutdown doesn't fix this.




Automatically Appended Next Post:
Just did a full hard reboot of my computer. Still getting the reduced interface. It changed at the end of doing my last post prior to this thread, the interface theme was lost and some functionality.

- Other forums are uneffected, only Dakka.
- Just done a full hard reset of my PC, problem persists.
- Trying to change theme is ineffective.

Did you make any changes in the last hour?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/02/11 05:01:10


n'oublie jamais - It appears I now have to highlight this again.

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

The site is running as normal right now, as far as I can see, so it would appear to be an issue at your end - might be something that's gone screwy from a browser update, or from accidentally hitting something that affects browser settings for this site. Try a different browser, if you have one installed, and see if that makes any difference.


 
   
Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot




Hanoi, Vietnam.

When you talk about a mobile site, do you mean an entirely different look and feel to the desktop site? Because whenever I browse dakka on mobile, it looks exactly the same as the desktop site.
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

 insaniak wrote:
The site is running as normal right now, as far as I can see, so it would appear to be an issue at your end - might be something that's gone screwy from a browser update, or from accidentally hitting something that affects browser settings for this site. Try a different browser, if you have one installed, and see if that makes any difference.



Moving from Opera to Firefox fixed this. Will look at what is going on with Opera, and report if I can. Though I am not best skilled to do so.

PS please move this, thank you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/02/11 05:26:15


n'oublie jamais - It appears I now have to highlight this again.

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

 Ginjitzu wrote:
When you talk about a mobile site, do you mean an entirely different look and feel to the desktop site? Because whenever I browse dakka on mobile, it looks exactly the same as the desktop site.

Mobile devices will default to the Mobile theme, which does look almost the same as the desktop version, but with signatures removed and a few other minor tweaks for functionality.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Orlanth wrote:

PS please move this, thank you.

It's all good - we don't actually have the option to split threads, so this is stuck here for now. I'll leave it for a bit to make sure lego sees it, and then delete these posts - just start a new thread if/when you get to the bottom of the Opera issue, if it's something that needs to be looked at from this end!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/02/11 10:37:40


 
   
Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot




Hanoi, Vietnam.

 insaniak wrote:
 Ginjitzu wrote:
When you talk about a mobile site, do you mean an entirely different look and feel to the desktop site? Because whenever I browse dakka on mobile, it looks exactly the same as the desktop site.

Mobile devices will default to the Mobile theme, which does look almost the same as the desktop version, but with signatures removed and a few other minor tweaks for functionality.

Are there any plans to build a fully featured mobile site? Because that would be awesome!
   
Made in gb
Highlord of Terra






Adrift within the vortex of my imagination.

 insaniak wrote:

 Orlanth wrote:

PS please move this, thank you.

It's all good - we don't actually have the option to split threads, so this is stuck here for now. I'll leave it for a bit to make sure lego sees it, and then delete these posts - just start a new thread if/when you get to the bottom of the Opera issue, if it's something that needs to be looked at from this end!


Ask Legoburner to send me a PM, I would need some help in getting the info for you. I can check to see if it works, but I cannot tell you why it works or doesnt work. This is not something I am knowledgeable about. Help me, help you.

n'oublie jamais - It appears I now have to highlight this again.

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. 
   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






Any reasoning behind the random text sizes? The op and first reply are readable but the 2nd and 4th reply are tiny text and

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/04 07:47:30


 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
[Jǫtunn]






.

Must be something on your end - everything looks ok (and uniform) for me on my smart phone.

   
Made in gb
Norn Queen






https://imgur.com/a/crB68P6 Is how this thread (and many others) look. Is it perhaps a chrome problem? As this has persisted across two different phones. I checked to make sure the "Desktop Site" switch was off.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/08 23:44:43


 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

Yes, the scaling can be a bit weird sometimes. It seems to be linked to the length of the post.

 
   
Made in gb
Stone Bonkers Fabricator General




We'll find out soon enough eh.

I'll just post this here rather than creating a new thread:

I don't think it's fair to place the onus on us as PC users to account for the presence of mobile users. Mods dropping into threads to tell people to put images into spoilers makes people who don't/don't remember to look like the bad guy for simply using the forum as-intended on their(and the default) platform. It also diminishes the experience of using the forum on the PC platform since - obviously - you can't actually tell what's in a spoiler tag until you open it, so it could be an image or, you know, an actual spoiler. Plus it makes browsing threads a pain in the rear since you can't just scroll rapidly down past posts that have an image you've already seen you have to stop and manually check them all, and also images often don't load scaled inside spoiler tags so you have to open them into a new window/tab to see the whole thing without scrollbars.

Are those earth-shattering problems? No, but neither are the trials faced by mobile users when a too-big image shows up, so I don't see why their minor annoyance should take priority.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/06/19 07:41:55


I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot




Hanoi, Vietnam.

 Yodhrin wrote:
I'll just post this here rather than creating a new thread:

I don't think it's fair to place the onus on us as PC users to account for the presence of mobile users. Mods dropping into threads to tell people to put images into spoilers makes people who don't/don't remember to look like the bad guy for simply using the forum as-intended on their(and the default) platform. It also diminishes the experience of using the forum on the PC platform since - obviously - you can't actually tell what's in a spoiler tag until you open it, so it could be an image or, you know, an actual spoiler. Plus it makes browsing threads a pain in the rear since you can't just scroll rapidly down past posts that have an image you've already seen you have to stop and manually check them all, and also images often don't load scaled inside spoiler tags so you have to open them into a new window/tab to see the whole thing without scrollbars.

Are those earth-shattering problems? No, but neither are the trials faced by mobile users when a too-big image shows up, so I don't see why their minor annoyance should take priority.
I agree. No user should be responsible for the experience of another user - save from following the rules and being courteous of course. If there is an intended way to use the platform, it should be baked into the platform by default.
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Procrastinator extraordinaire





Edinburgh, UK

While I generally agree, when browsing on a mobile things are already difficult enough with the text doing weird scaling things. Inputting an image or multiple images absolutely makes the browsing experience awful. A bit of courtesy goes a long way in those kinds of threads and spoilering an image can simply be mentioned above it as in N&R there really are no spoilers.

The contrast thread in the N&R forum is a prime example. I browse when I'm on my way home from work and the varying sizes of images put everything out of whack and it also takes and age to load them resulting in the page jumping around as each new image pops up.

   
Made in nl
Stone Bonkers Fabricator General




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 Tyranid Horde wrote:
While I generally agree, when browsing on a mobile things are already difficult enough with the text doing weird scaling things. Inputting an image or multiple images absolutely makes the browsing experience awful. A bit of courtesy goes a long way in those kinds of threads and spoilering an image can simply be mentioned above it as in N&R there really are no spoilers.

The contrast thread in the N&R forum is a prime example. I browse when I'm on my way home from work and the varying sizes of images put everything out of whack and it also takes and age to load them resulting in the page jumping around as each new image pops up.


But as I said, the same thing often happens to a PC browser when you open a spoiler with several images in it(minus the ages to load bit), so why does one annoyance have precedence over the other?

I get that it sucks, but bluntly I also kind of struggle to see why it should be my problem - if it needs fixing, pester the admins to fix it. Browser users have to endure loads of rubbish websites and "apps" these days that have been reconfigured for mobile users with zero regard for how it affects the PC experience.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

The short answer is that it's not just for mobile users. Putting large images in spoiler tags as a courtesy was a thing long before mobile browsing came along. While the forum software these days generally resizes large images to fit on desktop browsers, there are a lot of different browsers and it doesn't always work as intended. Mobile users are more commonly affected by it, but it's not solely for their benefit.


 
   
Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot




Hanoi, Vietnam.

 insaniak wrote:
Putting large images in spoiler tags as a courtesy was a thing long before mobile browsing came along.
But is it a courtesy, or a rule?
Yodhrin wrote:Mods dropping into threads to tell people to put images into spoilers
This makes it sound rather like the latter.
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

It's a courtesy, which would arguably be covered by rule #1 if anyone actually felt the need to argue about it.

Showing consideration to other community members shouldn't actually need to be a rule.

 
   
Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot




Hanoi, Vietnam.

 insaniak wrote:
It's a courtesy, which would arguably be covered by rule #1 if anyone actually felt the need to argue about it.

Showing consideration to other community members shouldn't actually need to be a rule.
The point I'm trying to get at is that if users must put spoilers around images, then that should be an automatic feature of the platform, but if users are only encouraged to use spoilers, then mods should not be telling users to add something, that by the nature of the platform, is optional. Having a feature be optional by way of the design of the platform, but then requiring users to use this feature seems like a policy that will lead to confusion.

My own opinion on the matter is that images should be spoilered by the platform automatically, at least until such a time as the image sizing issues are addressed for all common browsers. I regularly encounter image sizing issues on Chrome for both Windows 10 and Android, so it's not like those issues are only occurring in edge cases.

Now don't get me wrong; if legoburner were to say, "Look guys, we're working on adding automatic spoilering to the platform, but it's going to take a while, so in the mean time, help us out and spoiler your images as a courtesy," then I'd be more than willing to do my bit, but on the other hand, if there's not even any intention to change the platform, then I don't think it's fair to make spoilers a mandatory step for posters.
   
Made in gb
[MOD]
Villanous Scum







Its not every picture needs to spoiled but if one is to post a huge picture then please have the courtesy to put it in spoiler tags for everyones viewing pleasure. That's it.

In the contrast thread a few massive images were posted and a moderator asked that if you are posting massive pics then please spoiler them which is what, I presume, led to Yodhrin to make their post.

I cant speak to any technical issues but most people do this anyway when they see that their images pop up too big and its not really too much to ask.

On parle toujours mal quand on n'a rien à dire. 
   
Made in us
Jinking Ravenwing Land Speeder Pilot




Hanoi, Vietnam.

 ingtaer wrote:
Its not every picture needs to spoiled but if one is to post a huge picture then please have the courtesy to put it in spoiler tags for everyones viewing pleasure. That's it.

In the contrast thread a few massive images were posted and a moderator asked that if you are posting massive pics then please spoiler them which is what, I presume, led to Yodhrin to make their post.

I cant speak to any technical issues but most people do this anyway when they see that their images pop up too big and its not really too much to ask.
Ah. OK. That's more than fair I reckon. Sorry for derailing the thread.
   
Made in nl
Stone Bonkers Fabricator General




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 ingtaer wrote:
Its not every picture needs to spoiled but if one is to post a huge picture then please have the courtesy to put it in spoiler tags for everyones viewing pleasure. That's it.

In the contrast thread a few massive images were posted and a moderator asked that if you are posting massive pics then please spoiler them which is what, I presume, led to Yodhrin to make their post.

I cant speak to any technical issues but most people do this anyway when they see that their images pop up too big and its not really too much to ask.


Except here's the problem - none of the images in the contrast thread were a problem for me. At least, none of the ones outside of spoiler tags were. All of them displayed fine. And that goes for every instance where I've seen posters or mods bring it up - the forum software has always adequately resized images that are part of the main body of the post for me.

So, what, now I might get a Rule 1 violation because I post an image that, to me, displays correctly, but goes wonky for mobile users & a handful of PC users, and I didn't notice the follow up post from a mod requesting spoiler tags?

Holding users responsible for issues in the platform software actually is "too much to ask" IMO.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in au
[MOD]
Making Stuff






Under the couch

 Yodhrin wrote:

So, what, now I might get a Rule 1 violation because I post an image that, to me, displays correctly, but goes wonky for mobile users & a handful of PC users, and I didn't notice the follow up post from a mod requesting spoiler tags?

No. You're making a mountain out of a molehill, here.

If you're posting a huge picture, it's polite to spoiler it. Not just for mobile users - again, that's been the courteous thing to do on the internet for as long as internet forums have existed.

If you don't, we'll either ask you to spoiler it, or do it ourselves.

That's really all there is to it. It's not a big deal.

 
   
Made in nl
Stone Bonkers Fabricator General




We'll find out soon enough eh.

 insaniak wrote:
 Yodhrin wrote:

So, what, now I might get a Rule 1 violation because I post an image that, to me, displays correctly, but goes wonky for mobile users & a handful of PC users, and I didn't notice the follow up post from a mod requesting spoiler tags?

No. You're making a mountain out of a molehill, here.


I'm seeking clarification based on your own remark that failing to adopt this "courtesy" could arguably be covered by Rule 1.

If you're posting a huge picture, it's polite to spoiler it. Not just for mobile users - again, that's been the courteous thing to do on the internet for as long as internet forums have existed.

If you don't, we'll either ask you to spoiler it, or do it ourselves.

That's really all there is to it. It's not a big deal.


But the issue is what constitutes "huge". A "huge" image by mobile standards is not a "huge" image by modern PC browser standards. Still, so long as it's not actually a rule violation, that's fine. I'd still suggest that if it's a real problem for a lot of users, the solution is a platform-based fix rather than loosely defined kinda-policies.

I need to acquire plastic Skavenslaves, can you help?
I have a blog now, evidently. Featuring the Alternative Mordheim Model Megalist.

"Your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No, lets blame the people with no power and no money and those immigrants who don't even have the vote. Yea, it must be their fething fault." - Iain M Banks
-----
"The language of modern British politics is meant to sound benign. But words do not mean what they seem to mean. 'Reform' actually means 'cut' or 'end'. 'Flexibility' really means 'exploit'. 'Prudence' really means 'don't invest'. And 'efficient'? That means whatever you want it to mean, usually 'cut'. All really mean 'keep wages low for the masses, taxes low for the rich, profits high for the corporations, and accept the decline in public services and amenities this will cause'." - Robin McAlpine from Common Weal 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Are there plans to make a mobile app or just have it be mobile responsive (and continue to improve on that)?

The only way we can ever solve anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy 
   
Made in ca
[DCM]
Dankhold Troggoth






Shadeglass Maze

Legoburner is definitely planning to improve the mobile experience, he's been rolling out some things that should really help with that but they're not implemented on the mobile theme just yet!
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




United King room or

I came here to find out about the text resizing on my mobile. It has really put me off using the site.

Really pleased to see there is a 'new'(dont know how old) Mobile Theme. I did a quick whiz round, an absolute revelation - that you!

Now if we had aversion that didn't make it look like I was on a Porn Site, that would be great as well! :-)
   
 
Forum Index » Nuts & Bolts
Go to: