Switch Theme:

Games Workshop - no more starter sets?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




First off, they didn't say 'one shot print run,' just that it 'won't be around forever.'


You simply do not want to miss out on this amazing set, so it’s important to mention that, as it’s a special launch box to celebrate the new edition, it won’t be around forever. We’ve made (literal) boatloads, but if you want to make sure you’re among the first to hear when it becomes available to order, and ensure you’re in early doors to grab one for yourself, sign up to our newsletter and keep your eyes on the Warhammer Community website.



Second, their ability to 'find' more copies for this sort of thing is unsurprisingly very good.

Third, of course, literally nothing stops them from making more.

They're tossing 'limited' out there to cover their butts whenever they decide to toss the full price solo kits and rule book out onto the market, and to pressure people to buy early. No real scarcity is going on here.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in ca
[DCM]
The World Killer.




The best State-Texas

Voss wrote:
First off, they didn't say 'one shot print run,' just that it 'won't be around forever.'


You simply do not want to miss out on this amazing set, so it’s important to mention that, as it’s a special launch box to celebrate the new edition, it won’t be around forever. We’ve made (literal) boatloads, but if you want to make sure you’re among the first to hear when it becomes available to order, and ensure you’re in early doors to grab one for yourself, sign up to our newsletter and keep your eyes on the Warhammer Community website.



Second, their ability to 'find' more copies for this sort of thing is unsurprisingly very good.

Third, of course, literally nothing stops them from making more.

They're tossing 'limited' out there to cover their butts whenever they decide to toss the full price solo kits and rule book out onto the market, and to pressure people to buy early. No real scarcity is going on here.


They don't say anywhere they are going to print more, and they used past tense when talking about the printing. That signals to me that they have already printed however much they are going to print and once it's gone, it's gone. They also implied the same thing during the stream.

Maybe there will plenty sitting around for months, maybe there won't be. I would hope they printed enough so that there is plenty of time for everyone to grab one at their on pace. It's still a limited print run like the AoS battleboxes, just hopefully in a much larger quantity, and nothing you posted provides evidence to the contrary.



4000+
6000+ Order. Unity. Obedience.
Thousand Sons 4000+ 
   
Made in us
VF-1S Valkyrie Squadron Commander





Mississippi

They never said they would reprint Space Hulk 3E, and instead hinted they wouldn't, but have redone it many times.

It might not have the exact same packaging, but if they sell out on the Launch copies, there will be some sort of reprint/repackage to get it out to folks, especially if some of the kits would only be available via this set.

I'd be willing to bet a month or two later there will be a lesser package meant as a starter kit. This marketing and launch box is for the rabid fans who already know about 40K and want in on it day 1. They can shuffle their feet on the copy for the masses & newbies.

It never ends well 
   
Made in ca
[DCM]
The World Killer.




The best State-Texas

 Stormonu wrote:
They never said they would reprint Space Hulk 3E, and instead hinted they wouldn't, but have redone it many times.

It might not have the exact same packaging, but if they sell out on the Launch copies, there will be some sort of reprint/repackage to get it out to folks, especially if some of the kits would only be available via this set.

I'd be willing to bet a month or two later there will be a lesser package meant as a starter kit. This marketing and launch box is for the rabid fans who already know about 40K and want in on it day 1. They can shuffle their feet on the copy for the masses & newbies.


There is zero guarantee of this. GW has already demonstrated they have no issue locking certain characters/models behind a limited product for some period of time to drive up sales of the product.

While I think they will at the very least release a starter with some of the contents, at this point it's anybodies guess when and what form that will take.


4000+
6000+ Order. Unity. Obedience.
Thousand Sons 4000+ 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




 Sasori wrote:
Voss wrote:
First off, they didn't say 'one shot print run,' just that it 'won't be around forever.'


You simply do not want to miss out on this amazing set, so it’s important to mention that, as it’s a special launch box to celebrate the new edition, it won’t be around forever. We’ve made (literal) boatloads, but if you want to make sure you’re among the first to hear when it becomes available to order, and ensure you’re in early doors to grab one for yourself, sign up to our newsletter and keep your eyes on the Warhammer Community website.



Second, their ability to 'find' more copies for this sort of thing is unsurprisingly very good.

Third, of course, literally nothing stops them from making more.

They're tossing 'limited' out there to cover their butts whenever they decide to toss the full price solo kits and rule book out onto the market, and to pressure people to buy early. No real scarcity is going on here.


They don't say anywhere they are going to print more, and they used past tense when talking about the printing. That signals to me that they have already printed however much they are going to print and once it's gone, it's gone. They also implied the same thing during the stream.

Maybe there will plenty sitting around for months, maybe there won't be. I would hope they printed enough so that there is plenty of time for everyone to grab one at their on pace. It's still a limited print run like the AoS battleboxes, just hopefully in a much larger quantity, and nothing you posted provides evidence to the contrary.



At this point you're basically fearmongering for them. The new edition of 40k isn't a reprint of some skaven and ghouls and a pair of new heroes.

They're actually going to want to sell many, many copies of the new 40k. No amount of 'but technically...' replies is going to change that.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in ca
[DCM]
The World Killer.




The best State-Texas

Voss wrote:
 Sasori wrote:
Voss wrote:
First off, they didn't say 'one shot print run,' just that it 'won't be around forever.'


You simply do not want to miss out on this amazing set, so it’s important to mention that, as it’s a special launch box to celebrate the new edition, it won’t be around forever. We’ve made (literal) boatloads, but if you want to make sure you’re among the first to hear when it becomes available to order, and ensure you’re in early doors to grab one for yourself, sign up to our newsletter and keep your eyes on the Warhammer Community website.



Second, their ability to 'find' more copies for this sort of thing is unsurprisingly very good.

Third, of course, literally nothing stops them from making more.

They're tossing 'limited' out there to cover their butts whenever they decide to toss the full price solo kits and rule book out onto the market, and to pressure people to buy early. No real scarcity is going on here.


They don't say anywhere they are going to print more, and they used past tense when talking about the printing. That signals to me that they have already printed however much they are going to print and once it's gone, it's gone. They also implied the same thing during the stream.

Maybe there will plenty sitting around for months, maybe there won't be. I would hope they printed enough so that there is plenty of time for everyone to grab one at their on pace. It's still a limited print run like the AoS battleboxes, just hopefully in a much larger quantity, and nothing you posted provides evidence to the contrary.



At this point you're basically fearmongering for them. The new edition of 40k isn't a reprint of some skaven and ghouls and a pair of new heroes.

They're actually going to want to sell many, many copies of the new 40k. No amount of 'but technically...' replies is going to change that.


Look, As I've said in my other posts about this. This is your Wallet and you can do what you want with it. The ultimate decision is up to the person buying the product, if they want to wait or not. I'm not fearmongering, I'm just laying out the facts as I've seen them and interpreted. Facts are it's a limited edition print set, and we have no idea when any of the units will become available for regular retail. Could be a few months, could be longer. We don't know how much product there will be. Could last for the next year, or it could be sold out in a few weeks. It's also a fact that GW has locked characters and units behind limited sets before for a period of time. None of that is fearmongering, it is simply the facts on what GW has done in the past.

I personally want the contents of the box, and don't want to end up getting locked out of any of the units since I want to paint and play them. It's up to the person if they want to wait for deals on Ebay, save up or whatever.


4000+
6000+ Order. Unity. Obedience.
Thousand Sons 4000+ 
   
Made in us
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps




Except, of course, your going from thread to thread making a point of playing up the 'limited' nature of the set over and over again.

Look, it's really simple. If I'm wrong, I'm simply incorrect and lose nothing. But GW loses an opportunity to sell product after months of lower sales and launches their lauded new edition of their flagship product with a wet fart and recrimination.

They may be that stupid. But I doubt it. This will stick for a while, then be followed up by a remarkably similar product at a slightly different price point. Possibly an 'even more limited' edition with an extra model (much like space hulk). Or new cover art, dice and whippy sticks to make it officially a 'starter set.'

But they aren't going to make the 'new 40k' unavailable to customers, of underestimate demand, as if it were new hero models for minor age of sigmar factions.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/06/15 15:32:33


Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in ca
[DCM]
The World Killer.




The best State-Texas

Voss wrote:
Except, of course, your going from thread to thread making a point of playing up the 'limited' nature of the set over and over again.

Look, it's really simple. If I'm wrong, I'm simply incorrect and lose nothing. But GW loses an opportunity to sell product after months of lower sales and launches their lauded new edition of their flagship product with a wet fart and recrimination.

They may be that stupid. But I doubt it. This will stick for a while, then be followed up by a remarkably similar product at a slightly different price point. Possibly an 'even more limited' edition with an extra model (much like space hulk). Or new cover art, dice and whippy sticks to make it officially a 'starter set.'

But they aren't going to make the 'new 40k' unavailable to customers, of underestimate demand, as if it were new hero models for minor age of sigmar factions.



Yes, it's a forum, I've posted it in threads where it's relevant. I've been very clear that anyone can do what they want, it's their money. I'd rather tread on the side of being cautious, than overstating that there is going to be enough product and someone ends up loosing out on that.

Maybe you lose nothing, but people that are thinking this is like the starter set and want to play with new models may not want to get locked out for months. Which is my point. Maybe this doesn't matter for you, but I'm making those posts for people that it does matter. Anyone is welcome to listen or not to, that's their prerogative.

Speculating on how they are going to make the product available when we currently have no information is not doing anyone any favors. I've simply stated the facts from what we know right now. For what it's worth, I do think they will come out with some kind of unlimted print run starter set. However, we don't have any of that info at this point. I'd be happy to revise what I'm saying if new information comes to light. At this moment though, I am only informing people of what information is out there and the precedence behind some of these releases in the past.


EDIT: Case in point in this thread there is at least one person that didn't know it was a limited run: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/789243.page

That person is a poster and not even one of the average 6k lurkers we have on the site.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2020/06/15 15:58:03



4000+
6000+ Order. Unity. Obedience.
Thousand Sons 4000+ 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




That one box is not "the new 40k." That would be the new ruleset, which will be available outside of said box, as will the units (if not those specific sculpts).
   
Made in fi
Decrepit Dakkanaut





 Overread wrote:
Wait what I hear you cry?!

Well looking at the Lumineth and the Sisters of Battle starter sets and the new launch set (not starter) that GW is doing for 40K, made me think. Perhaps GW is going to abandon the idea of a single starter set for their two core games. The starter sets have always had a great discount and with everything in them including the big lore, art and rule book they've always been a great "here get this and get stated" purchase. Except they are rubbish if you don't like one of the two armies in them; and they also pigeon the customer market into often one or two key armies per edition and through editions often result in one army come up ahead - for 40K that's marines and for AoS that's very likely Stormcast.



Eh except of course there will be 40k starter set later once the priced up expensive box has sold out. It's just they want to sell more expensive box first before putting up cheaper one later.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Ghaz wrote:
 Sasori wrote:
If they do, I think they need to go more toward the SoB than the Lumineth set. The Lumineth one is really weak compared to the SoB one, model wise.

I think the Lumineth one looks pretty good from a gameplay standpoint. Three (presumably) Battleline units not tied to any of the Elemental Temples will be a good start for most Lumineth armies. The only oddball is the Light of Eltharion (I would have preferred a generic Hero instead).


Unless light of eltharion is battleline unit(hah) it's 2. Spears(10) and cavalry(5)


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Voss wrote:

It isn't, at least not in the sense of the AoS boxes where, if you don't order them the day the go on preorder, they're sold out forever.

Indomitus is the primary (and so far only) vehicle for the new edition and the rules. It will likely stick around for a bit.


GW has flat out said there's limited print run...

And it won't be for rules. Separate rulebook will be available pretty much for certain. And cheaper actual starter set later once GW has sold up the more pricey box.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Voss wrote:

They're actually going to want to sell many, many copies of the new 40k. No amount of 'but technically...' replies is going to change that.


Yes. But selling part of it for higher price before putting out cheaper starter set makes sense. Put in "limited edition rulebook" with exclusive cover, jack up prices, sell it out, put out different box with "regular" rulebook. hey presto you made more profits than if you had just the cheaper starter set.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Voss wrote:

But they aren't going to make the 'new 40k' unavailable to customers, of underestimate demand, as if it were new hero models for minor age of sigmar factions.


Nobody is suggesting new40k is going to be unavailable. Just that the limited edition box set with limited edition rulebook.

You still have option to buy rulebook separately or the non-limited starter set later if you don't want the limited edition rulebook RIGHT NOW rather than wait a bit for regular rulebook.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2020/06/16 06:54:47


12 factions for Lord of The Rings
4663
11772 pts(along with lots of unpainted unsorted stuff)
5265 pts
5150 pts
~3200 pts Knights

 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




I doubt starters are going away, I can see a wider range of ways to get into the game though.

currently there are essentially three starters for the two core games, the big one, a small one and one in the middle - I suggest these are aimed more as 'gift' purchases than at people who have played the game much before, you need a few to handle different price ranges.

it wouldn't be difficult to expand the 'start collecting' boxes slightly with the quick start rules and stat cards for the units in the box - provides another way in

especially if you got a booklet in the box - that could have the stats printed in it instead of cards, ditto the rules reference, throw in a few scenarios.

yes the 'start collecting' sets get a bit more expensive as a result but if you add a few dice (perhaps faction specific colours of the normal dice) and the see through ruler (or a cut out paper one) its easier

they could then also have 'white box' versions without the paper bits for direct order

suspect this is not either/or but will see a blurring between whats a 'stater' and what isn't with more boxes having the basic rules in and the stats for the models in the box.

I have the lager AoS starter and the mid sized one, was plesently surprised by the contents, especially the clever but often missed trick of including stats for a few more models, with scenarios including them as a push to what to buy next
   
Made in fi
Regular Dakkanaut





In addition to starters, I'd love "cheapskate" versions. Something like a start collecting box, core rules pamphlet and points values and datacards for free for the box via the 40K app. Dice is being sold everywhere, and inch based rulers aren't hard to come by either, most hardware stores have those. You could even use your phone's AR measure app as a ruler substitute.

Bigger faction specific starters are trickier since not everyone wants to buy the same type of units for their army. Also, some people (like me) absolutely detest physical codexes and rulebooks and only want digital versions.. GW would have to make two versions of every army box, not ideal.

All I can say about the Indomitus box availability, if you are spreading concern online of the box selling out too fast, you are doing exactly what GW wants. They are playing yall

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2020/06/16 13:29:30


 
   
Made in us
Lieutenant General






Florence, KY

tneva82 wrote:

 Ghaz wrote:
 Sasori wrote:
If they do, I think they need to go more toward the SoB than the Lumineth set. The Lumineth one is really weak compared to the SoB one, model wise.

I think the Lumineth one looks pretty good from a gameplay standpoint. Three (presumably) Battleline units not tied to any of the Elemental Temples will be a good start for most Lumineth armies. The only oddball is the Light of Eltharion (I would have preferred a generic Hero instead).


Unless light of eltharion is battleline unit(hah) it's 2. Spears(10) and cavalry(5)

Or Spears can be fielded in units of five.

'It is a source of constant consternation that my opponents
cannot correlate their innate inferiority with their inevitable
defeat. It would seem that stupidity is as eternal as war.'

- Nemesor Zahndrekh of the Sautekh Dynasty
Overlord of the Crownworld of Gidrim
 
   
Made in gb
Ferocious Blood Claw





tauist wrote:
In addition to starters, I'd love "cheapskate" versions. Something like a start collecting box, core rules pamphlet and points values and datacards for free for the box via the 40K app. Dice is being sold everywhere, and inch based rulers aren't hard to come by either, most hardware stores have those. You could even use your phone's AR measure app as a ruler substitute.

Bigger faction specific starters are trickier since not everyone wants to buy the same type of units for their army. Also, some people (like me) absolutely detest physical codexes and rulebooks and only want digital versions.. GW would have to make two versions of every army box, not ideal.

All I can say about the Indomitus box availability, if you are spreading concern online of the box selling out too fast, you are doing exactly what GW wants. They are playing yall


I'm sure they have thought of it so there probably is a good reason why they've not done it, but they don't even need to do physical boxes, they can just do virtual ones. If they think say, a Captain, a unit of Intecessors, a unit of Aggressors and a unit of Inceptors + the SM Codex would make a good Primaris starter box, with DI gone, then sure, they could make that as a physical box and sell it as a limited run. thats £142.50 worth of stuff and they maybe sell the box at £110 or something. but they don't actually need to make a box. they could just make it a deal, buy these things on either the GW webstore or in a GW physical store and get them for £110.
That way they could

* Have a much larger range of 'collection' deals
* Have them be unlimited in terms of runs
* Have things be optional rather than fixed, i.e. 1 Primaris Character Model, 1 £35 Primaris Troop choice, 2 £30 Primaris Units + Codex
* Compete with the FLGS and online stores offering 10-20% off, as this wouldn't be a physical box they could purchase and sell cheaper


Even with the codex in there there could still be a small saving on just the units meaning people might buy multiple (especially if they gave options) GW well know as a customer base we're pretty implusive and like a nice saving. And as they are 'virtual' collections they could just do a version without the codex. Maybe they lose out on money from some people, but I imagine most people who would buy multiple of these are the type who aren't buying direct from GW anyway. I guess GW might have to manage how much they piss off some FLGS by essentially competing with their below RRP pricing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2020/06/16 15:26:42


 
   
Made in gb
Fanatic with Madcap Mushrooms







Not sure but this not starter box may just be a cheeky cash grab before the starters hit the shelves.

So instead of thinking "no more starters" I believe more in " Limited editions before general release for cash grab" akin to fancy Limited edition Rulebooks with all the junk.

   
Made in gb
Ferocious Blood Claw





Even as a cash grab its an excellent value box if the £120 figure is true. less than £2 a mini + the book. if i buy this and the next day they announce the starter set i'd be pretty surprised if i had any regrets over it
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: