Switch Theme:

[Heavy Gear] General Discussion Thread  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Poll
Why did you never start or alternately stop playing/collecting Heavy Gear?
Never heard of it... what's Heavy Gear?
Don't like the mech minis genre in general.
Don't like the look of Heavy Gear specifically (art, minis, etc).
Don't like the price of Heavy Gear (books, minis, etc).
Don't like the mechanics of the game/silhouette system.
Don't like edition changes in Heavy Gear every 2-3 years.
Couldn't find any opponents to play against.
Couldn't find any of the products locally to buy.
Other (please elaborate below)
Inadequate support from DP9 (expansions, communication with fans, FAQs, etc).
Power creep and unequal efficacy between factions.
Poor resource management (playtesters, freelancers, website, etc) by DP9.

View results
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






Thanks... it's just a conversion to the PDF but otherwise unchanged. It was a bit depressing to realize that the report years ago was of my last real HG game against a willing opponent. :( By willing I mean someone who, when offered a game, simply said yes and didn't need to be bargained with or cajoled. (like "I'm here for x-wing... If you'll play that with me first, I'll maybe try HG") All of us here (except JohnHwang) were still posting on and/or not banned from the official forum and there was some excitement at the idea of upcoming plastics even if the reveal of the new rules was a complete shitshow.

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

 warboss wrote:
All of us here (except JohnHwang) were still posting on and/or not banned from the official forum and there was some excitement at the idea of upcoming plastics even if the reveal of the new rules was a complete shitshow.


I didn't even bother with the official forum, because I knew where it'd end up.

JHDD's Grand Hobby Ominbus
-- $k Kingdom Death : Monster P&M blog
-- 9k Craftworld Tian-Bing Eldar
-- 7k Ragnarok 1st "Einherjar" Imperial Guard
-- 2k Pale Templars CSM
-- 4k Solland's Ghosts WFB Dogs of War 
   
Made in es
Skilled SDF-1 Pin-Point Barrier Jockey






Hm. It really HAS been a long time ago, hasn't it :(
   
Made in jp
Dakka Veteran





I'd play you guys. It's a bit of an expensive trip.
   
Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






 Mmmpi wrote:
I'd play you guys. It's a bit of an expensive trip.


I'll cover a drink and a snack at the FLGS counter if it helps to sweeten the pot.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Albertorius wrote:
Hm. It really HAS been a long time ago, hasn't it :(


Yeah, a few years both for posting and playing in my case. The number of long time posters I recognize and have interacted with that are still posting you can fit on one hand... and the new blood can fit on the other. I know some of the conversation has switched over to facebook or maybe even discord (not sure about that last one though).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/16 18:23:12


   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

 warboss wrote:
I know some of the conversation has switched over to facebook or maybe even discord (not sure about that last one though).


There is/was a HGA Discord, but there doesn't appear to be a publicly-shared HGB Discord.

There is a reddit:
* https://www.reddit.com/r/HeavyGear/

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/11/16 19:57:43


JHDD's Grand Hobby Ominbus
-- $k Kingdom Death : Monster P&M blog
-- 9k Craftworld Tian-Bing Eldar
-- 7k Ragnarok 1st "Einherjar" Imperial Guard
-- 2k Pale Templars CSM
-- 4k Solland's Ghosts WFB Dogs of War 
   
Made in jp
Dakka Veteran





 warboss wrote:
 Mmmpi wrote:
I'd play you guys. It's a bit of an expensive trip.


I'll cover a drink and a snack at the FLGS counter if it helps to sweeten the pot.


I might take you up on it in, though you'll have to wait until my contract expires. What part of the US?
   
Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






 Mmmpi wrote:
 warboss wrote:
 Mmmpi wrote:
I'd play you guys. It's a bit of an expensive trip.


I'll cover a drink and a snack at the FLGS counter if it helps to sweeten the pot.


I might take you up on it in, though you'll have to wait until my contract expires. What part of the US?


Thanks and I might take you up on the offer. I don't want to doxx myself but I'm in the southeast so let me know when you're back and we'll see if it works.

   
Made in jp
Dakka Veteran





Yeah, wasn't going to push for anymore info. If I remember later I'll message you to set things up.
   
Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






More NIB rafm stuff came up on ebay. They're not mine but I figured I'd mention them here.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/lo-pan/m.html?item=132870149038&ul_noapp=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

Neat stuff, though I see people are all bidding on the Southern stuff! Nobody wants Northern.

The Artillery Cobra is something I've not seen before. I'm assuming it's a retired configuration?


JHDD's Grand Hobby Ominbus
-- $k Kingdom Death : Monster P&M blog
-- 9k Craftworld Tian-Bing Eldar
-- 7k Ragnarok 1st "Einherjar" Imperial Guard
-- 2k Pale Templars CSM
-- 4k Solland's Ghosts WFB Dogs of War 
   
Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






It's one of the last waves that came out so it's a bit rarer. I don't believe it's supported in the current rules (and I don't recall if it was over in the older blitz rules as it was strictly a RAFM thing that never got downsized to tactical scale). It's basically a heavy (guided?) mortar on the back of a cobra that has the stabilizer trait (the triple prongs you see on towed artillery). Ashley actually as to my knowledge the only pic of the contents on the internet.

https://panther6actual.blogspot.com/2017/02/heavy-gear-cobra-one.html

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

Thanks for the link, appreciate it!

Having though about it, I want a Blitz-scale Support Cobra for conversion work, so I need to keep an eye out for that.

JHDD's Grand Hobby Ominbus
-- $k Kingdom Death : Monster P&M blog
-- 9k Craftworld Tian-Bing Eldar
-- 7k Ragnarok 1st "Einherjar" Imperial Guard
-- 2k Pale Templars CSM
-- 4k Solland's Ghosts WFB Dogs of War 
   
Made in jp
Dakka Veteran





The current rules have it, but it doesn't currently have a model. It has a MFM and a CBS.
   
Made in gb
Fresh-Faced New User





 warboss wrote:
It's one of the last waves that came out so it's a bit rarer. I don't believe it's supported in the current rules (and I don't recall if it was over in the older blitz rules as it was strictly a RAFM thing that never got downsized to tactical scale). It's basically a heavy (guided?) mortar on the back of a cobra that has the stabilizer trait (the triple prongs you see on towed artillery). Ashley actually as to my knowledge the only pic of the contents on the internet.

https://panther6actual.blogspot.com/2017/02/heavy-gear-cobra-one.html


Cheers for the mention and link. I've been a bit unwell the last six months and haven't done much model-making. Must get back in the saddle, I'm so behind on everything.

Ashley
--
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/ 
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

No worries - lot's of us have a backlog

JHDD's Grand Hobby Ominbus
-- $k Kingdom Death : Monster P&M blog
-- 9k Craftworld Tian-Bing Eldar
-- 7k Ragnarok 1st "Einherjar" Imperial Guard
-- 2k Pale Templars CSM
-- 4k Solland's Ghosts WFB Dogs of War 
   
Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






Mmmpi wrote:The current rules have it, but it doesn't currently have a model. It has a MFM and a CBS.


Thanks for the update as I don't really follow the current rules. I'm a bit surprised and impressed that it made it as I don't recall it having a model during the blitz era. Did I get that part wrong too?

Paint it Pink wrote:

Cheers for the mention and link. I've been a bit unwell the last six months and haven't done much model-making. Must get back in the saddle, I'm so behind on everything.


Thanks for putting it up! There is a bit of a dearth of RAFM pics out there especially "naked" straight from the blister.

JohnHwangDD wrote:Thanks for the link, appreciate it!

Having though about it, I want a Blitz-scale Support Cobra for conversion work, so I need to keep an eye out for that.


I too understand the need to scratch that itch.



They were painted long ago but that's the only close up of the regular cobras I have in my old gallery.



   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

You're the reason why there are NO Blitz-era Support Cobra available!!!

JHDD's Grand Hobby Ominbus
-- $k Kingdom Death : Monster P&M blog
-- 9k Craftworld Tian-Bing Eldar
-- 7k Ragnarok 1st "Einherjar" Imperial Guard
-- 2k Pale Templars CSM
-- 4k Solland's Ghosts WFB Dogs of War 
   
Made in jp
Dakka Veteran





@warboss

The "Living rule book" has it's stat line, but says it's unreleased. I converted mine out of a standard cobra.
   
Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






 JohnHwangDD wrote:
You're the reason why there are NO Blitz-era Support Cobra available!!!


You're not entirely wrong. I did actually clear out multiple online stores including coolstuffinc during their clearance sales.

   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

To close out the year, I'm going to be building Heavy Gear minis.

As they look ridiculous on the 25mm hex bases, I plan to upgrade them to larger rounds where the feet don't overlap quite so comically.

From initial measurement, almost all Gears will be well-sized on a 32mm round base, except for the large Fire Support Gears, which go on a 40mm base.

As I only had 40mm round bases available, I started assembly lining my trio of CEF F2-19s. I've got their legs on the bases, along with their torsos. The 40mm rounds are just perfectly-sized.

I like how different they are compared to the Southern Black Mambas and Jaegers I've already built.

I need to order at last 35x 32mm round bases for the other minis, but I can still work on the big stuff!

JHDD's Grand Hobby Ominbus
-- $k Kingdom Death : Monster P&M blog
-- 9k Craftworld Tian-Bing Eldar
-- 7k Ragnarok 1st "Einherjar" Imperial Guard
-- 2k Pale Templars CSM
-- 4k Solland's Ghosts WFB Dogs of War 
   
Made in us
Unhealthy Competition With Other Legions




Philadelphia PA

While I was assembling my plastics from the KS I decided to skip the hexes too. Instead I got an absolute ton of packets of round bases from the pre-painted Confrontation game that went under.

I believe they're also 32mm and 40mm, just with a different slant bevel on the edge. They're thicker plastic too so pins to the base are more stable.
   
Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






 JohnHwangDD wrote:
To close out the year, I'm going to be building Heavy Gear minis.

As they look ridiculous on the 25mm hex bases, I plan to upgrade them to larger rounds where the feet don't overlap quite so comically.

From initial measurement, almost all Gears will be well-sized on a 32mm round base, except for the large Fire Support Gears, which go on a 40mm base.

As I only had 40mm round bases available, I started assembly lining my trio of CEF F2-19s. I've got their legs on the bases, along with their torsos. The 40mm rounds are just perfectly-sized.

I like how different they are compared to the Southern Black Mambas and Jaegers I've already built.

I need to order at last 35x 32mm round bases for the other minis, but I can still work on the big stuff!


I agree and did the same thing a while back with my first HG after coming back into Blitz during the L&L era. I think I used 30mm (or 32mm?) for the regular gears and 40mm for the firesupport ones.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/07 02:05:13


   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

Very nice!

Right now, I'm choosing weapons for the CEF BF2-19s.

The base model has MLC, MRP, LATM, MCW, but I'm thinking I want:

1x Anti-Tank (-MLC, +MPA; -LATM +MATM) for the extra Anti-Armor firepower
2x Support (-MRP +MGM) for Indirect 3" AoE attack options

Also, everybody gets Jump Jets, because they look cool!

Is that reasonable? Do I actually want any base / Assault / Recon builds? They're Fire Support, so notionally, they're all about long range heavy firepower, right?

JHDD's Grand Hobby Ominbus
-- $k Kingdom Death : Monster P&M blog
-- 9k Craftworld Tian-Bing Eldar
-- 7k Ragnarok 1st "Einherjar" Imperial Guard
-- 2k Pale Templars CSM
-- 4k Solland's Ghosts WFB Dogs of War 
   
Made in us
Hangin' with Gork & Mork






I won't be able to help with those unfortunately. I haven't looked at the rules in years and even when I was looking at them I had very little actual play experience. I agree with certainty though that jump jets look cool!

Out of curiosity, why the sudden uptick in official HG rules interest btw? I remember you working on your own streamlined ruleset a while back.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/12/07 02:38:57


   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

Oh, I just want to make the models to be officially playable under either ruleset. So the configuration should be "correct", but still look cool, and not terrible if I play them under official rules

JHDD's Grand Hobby Ominbus
-- $k Kingdom Death : Monster P&M blog
-- 9k Craftworld Tian-Bing Eldar
-- 7k Ragnarok 1st "Einherjar" Imperial Guard
-- 2k Pale Templars CSM
-- 4k Solland's Ghosts WFB Dogs of War 
   
Made in jp
Dakka Veteran





 JohnHwangDD wrote:
Very nice!

Right now, I'm choosing weapons for the CEF BF2-19s.

The base model has MLC, MRP, LATM, MCW, but I'm thinking I want:

1x Anti-Tank (-MLC, +MPA; -LATM +MATM) for the extra Anti-Armor firepower
2x Support (-MRP +MGM) for Indirect 3" AoE attack options

Also, everybody gets Jump Jets, because they look cool!

Is that reasonable? Do I actually want any base / Assault / Recon builds? They're Fire Support, so notionally, they're all about long range heavy firepower, right?


My thoughts (Grain of salt, I haven't played much):

It would depend on Unit size and if you're planning on including a support unit or not.

If no support, I'd include a recon at four frames, in part to TD for your missiles and morters, and EW support.
You could probably skip the assault variant if you have sources of accurate direct fire. If not, maybe add an assault as a 5th or 6th man. It can also function as a decent point man with smoke launchers and it's shield.

If you are using a support unit, feel free to focus on heavy weapons.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just making models. I have a pair of F25 Recons to act as FO/TD for the IF MGMs, so I could make one of those the Assault

I also have an Interdiction Squad for bulk.

JHDD's Grand Hobby Ominbus
-- $k Kingdom Death : Monster P&M blog
-- 9k Craftworld Tian-Bing Eldar
-- 7k Ragnarok 1st "Einherjar" Imperial Guard
-- 2k Pale Templars CSM
-- 4k Solland's Ghosts WFB Dogs of War 
   
Made in jp
Dakka Veteran





Sounds good! Have fun.
   
Made in us
Decrepit Dakkanaut






SoCal, USA!

 JohnHwangDD wrote:
Right now, I'm choosing weapons for the CEF BF2-19s.

Also, everybody gets Jump Jets, because they look cool!


OMFG. The idiot who sculpted the Jump Jets made them so that you can't run a long pin from one side, through the middle piece, into the other side. WTF? Why is the model engineering so bad? JFC

It's the Pod in a nutshell:
* cool concept, looks great
* idiot implementation, total PITA to use

JHDD's Grand Hobby Ominbus
-- $k Kingdom Death : Monster P&M blog
-- 9k Craftworld Tian-Bing Eldar
-- 7k Ragnarok 1st "Einherjar" Imperial Guard
-- 2k Pale Templars CSM
-- 4k Solland's Ghosts WFB Dogs of War 
   
 
Forum Index » Misc. Sci-Fi Miniature Games
Go to: