Switch Theme:

The Infinity News and Rumors Thread  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut







Presumably the Shasvastii, even in their seed soldier outfits, hit the intersection of "Appealing enough to buy" on both looks and rules.

The story about the Caskuda that kept circulating is that the model was a production nightmare.

And as much as I compared the original Morat to Morat Mk 2 models as Star Trek TOS vs. Star Trek the movies as far as the difference in presentation goes, the Shasvastii analogy is the same sort of situation but with an art direction reboot thrown in.

I think that puts the idea of giving the Exrah the same sort of love/updates/digital treatment as... Well, it's like trying to ask DC to produce another Wonder Woman movie instead of another Grim Dark Superman. If they don't have a concept, it's not going to happen.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]







Yeah, I think that they could have done all that for the Exrah but chose not to do so.

And yes, they are obviously allowed to make that choice, and spend time, money and resources where they will.

But I also still think that a revamped Exrah would have sold quite well indeed!
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





I think the problem with a revamped Exrah is with the current Infinity design styles there wouldn't be much difference in look between them and the Shasvasti.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut







Scuttlebutt is that last year was supposed to be Shasvastii vs. somebody, but the Shasvastii redesign wasn't done/good enough in time.

The Exrah were problematic for three reasons:
1. They were ugly/weird/different
2. E/M vulnerability was a terrible idea on their troops
3. If you asked about them on-line, the biggest thing you would hear about them is how to exploit Super Jump.

That's "Asking for Squatting". Because it's the same sort of problem: If no one in the design team can figure out what to do with it, or how to do it justice, you have to admit it's dead. I sure as heck wasn't happy when it was announced, but I don't think CB was happy admitting conceptual defeat either.

They've left the door open to a possible eventually reboot of the Exrah coming back as something else. For all I know, Tohaa, Onyx and the other stuff were designs that came about while CB was brainstorming trying to figure out how to resign CA and fix the Exrah designs.
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut





Melbourne, Australia

Exrah coming back now would be meh in a hand basket.

They'll look like the rest of CA, and will have the standard S5, infiltrating specialist, vanilla regular troops, drop hacker, mixed fireteam every other new sectorial has.



The galaxy is littered with the single-planet graveyards of civilisations which made the economically sensible decision not to explore space. 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]







 .Mikes. wrote:
Exrah coming back now would be meh in a hand basket.

They'll look like the rest of CA, and will have the standard S5, infiltrating specialist, vanilla regular troops, drop hacker, mixed fireteam every other new sectorial has.




Exactly!

Except for the Caskuda...

They should totally bring that bad boy back!
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





O-12 profile video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRR8ktm-5VA

Army update August 1st

No fireteams. Sectorials will eventually happen.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2019/07/19 00:44:48


 
   
Made in us
Myrmidon Officer





NC

I think exploring the Umbra and Smegma Tohaa in the CA would be a more worthwhile venture.

Plus, the Avatar needs a sectorial.
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran




Portland

Something to consider about Exrah is that CB decided to let them go years before they officially discontinued the models and removed the profiles. Exrah had 4 different unit types (Void, Vector and Jump Operators and the Caskuda) in original Infinity. that may not sound like a lot, but its actually huge. Within CA Morats also only had 4 units (Vanguad, Daturazi, Suryats and the Raicho) and Shasvastii only had 3 (Malignos, Shrouded and the Speculo). The EI units were limited to the Charontid, Avatar, Obsidian Mechanoid and the drones. So the Exrah were a full 1/4 of the Combined Army, and an important part of it. They were CA only MI. Many other armies had thematic sections that only included 2 units (like what would be come Military Orders, for example). So Exrah were pretty fleshed out from the go in comparison to most of the game's subfacions pre- HS).

If you have a copy of the original (or 2nd edition) Infinity book you'll see the Exrah featured prominently in fiction, photos and art. However, new Exrah are completely absent from Human Sphere. While every army was expanded with several new units and characters he Exrah were left out.

HS was the point where CB decided that they didn't want to keep making Exrah (for whatever reason). All 5 Exrah miniatures had been released at that point. CB could have decided to give Exrah new units, profiles, characters or a sectorial army in HS, but they didn't. In fact, the Exrah were one of the few thematic groups to not get a sectorial, while other groups that had only ever had 2-3 models received full sectorials.

HS was where CB really expanded the game and decided what to do next. A very few thematic groups from the original book like Kaumu, Securiate didn't make it into a sectorial, but nearly everything else did (and CB even released a few new units, like Nisse, which didn't belong to an existing sectorial). At the time I know a lot of us assumed an Exrah sectorial would happen eventually, but in hindsight I think its clear that this was the point where CB decided that Exrah were done.

People often point out the Exrah's subjectively unappealing designs as one of the reasons they were discontinued, but original HS was well before any redesigns started and CA especially was in its formative phase.Everything in the army looked like weird plant lizard circus clowns. Most people don't remember this, but there was a LOOONG forum discussion about whether the Suryat HMG was actually an Exrah because it looked like an Exrak and not really like a Morat. That argument will make more sense if you find the original model and see its old school paint job.

TL,DR: We often think of Exrah's removal from the game as a decision that CB made as 3rd edition was being released, but it was very likely made 5+ years earlier at the dawn of 2nd edition leading up to original Human Sphere.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/19 05:35:46


 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut





Melbourne, Australia

So 0-12 have a new rule special to them - Peacekeeper - which just measn they're allowed to use weapons otherwise banned by the concilium convention.

More unnecessary text bloat.

'Yay'.

The galaxy is littered with the single-planet graveyards of civilisations which made the economically sensible decision not to explore space. 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Wait? Really, just a fluff text rule that has no actual impact on the game?
   
Made in si
Skillful Swordmaster





Hints of the future?

Either way, text bloat is better than rules bloat.
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut





Melbourne, Australia

 Monkeysloth wrote:
Wait? Really, just a fluff text rule that has no actual impact on the game?


That's what I've been told.

The galaxy is littered with the single-planet graveyards of civilisations which made the economically sensible decision not to explore space. 
   
Made in ie
Regular Dakkanaut




Peacekeeper is fluffy, but sadly CB never did anything with the Concilium Convention, so it's utterly irrelevant.

The stats for O-12 so far seem like PanO+, good stats where it counts (WIP and BS), limited but solid choice of guns, and only the most useful skills available, with none of the horrendous skill tax some other factions pay.

Looks a little like Infinity Spess Marines in that regard.
   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

 Monkeysloth wrote:
Wait? Really, just a fluff text rule that has no actual impact on the game?

Only affects campaign games from what Koni said.

The basic outline of it is that if you're playing a campaign/scenario where you aren't allowed to use lethal ammo types, O-12 units are always considered to be using nonlethal ammo types.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/19 10:35:27


 
   
Made in si
Skillful Swordmaster





Cronch wrote:
The stats for O-12 so far seem like PanO+, good stats where it counts (WIP and BS), limited but solid choice of guns, and only the most useful skills available, with none of the horrendous skill tax some other factions pay.


Is anyone surprised by this?
   
Made in gb
Fixture of Dakka






Since the in-universe reason for the absence of the Exrah is that they were exterminated by the EI for trading with humanity (apparently; so I'm told by a friend with the RPG), I could see them returning in the future as an unaligned force. Something as part of the Defiance line rather than the main game, or one or two as mercenaries or something.

I doubt it'll happen, but I can dream.

Are there any scenarios which limit "banned" weaponry? I've toyed with the idea in the past - having NPC Warcors transmitting battlefield footage, using banned weaponry in LOF of their cameras results in a penalty, and allowing players to hack the camera feeds.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 jake wrote:
Something to consider about Exrah is that CB decided to let them go years before they officially discontinued the models and removed the profiles. Exrah had 4 different unit types (Void, Vector and Jump Operators and the Caskuda) in original Infinity. that may not sound like a lot, but its actually huge. Within CA Morats also only had 4 units (Vanguad, Daturazi, Suryats and the Raicho) and Shasvastii only had 3 (Malignos, Shrouded and the Speculo). The EI units were limited to the Charontid, Avatar, Obsidian Mechanoid and the drones. So the Exrah were a full 1/4 of the Combined Army, and an important part of it. They were CA only MI.


Not surprised if they decided to cut something, it was MI.
   
Made in gr
Thermo-Optical Spekter





Greece

 LunarSol wrote:
 jake wrote:
Something to consider about Exrah is that CB decided to let them go years before they officially discontinued the models and removed the profiles. Exrah had 4 different unit types (Void, Vector and Jump Operators and the Caskuda) in original Infinity. that may not sound like a lot, but its actually huge. Within CA Morats also only had 4 units (Vanguad, Daturazi, Suryats and the Raicho) and Shasvastii only had 3 (Malignos, Shrouded and the Speculo). The EI units were limited to the Charontid, Avatar, Obsidian Mechanoid and the drones. So the Exrah were a full 1/4 of the Combined Army, and an important part of it. They were CA only MI.


Not surprised if they decided to cut something, it was MI.


MI in 1st edition was huge, really powerful models, Nomads were feared for their powerful MI units, Exrah had great rules powerful profiles (maybe too powerful in Kaskudas case) but they never worked, each model release was essentially a redesign the profiles were attractive, but the models were not, same with the CA drones until their redesign, "Starfish aliens" do not work...

Sad because I really liked some of the models.

@AndrewGPaul the in game explanation is the Exrah "company" that used to be in Paradiso was caught smuggling CA tech to human black markets and was wiped out by CA and replaced with another one, the replacement decided to be better safe and not commit greedy units close to humans, Exrah are still out there, just not on the battlefield at the moment.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
[***]







...so you’re saying there’s a chance?!?

Woo-hoo!!!
   
Made in us
Combat Jumping Ragik






Beyond the Beltway

It was the Concordat Exrah business group that got up to a little double dealing. The EI was most displeased, and wiped then out. Now the Commissariat Exrah are under contract and doing the transport and supply in place of the Concordat

I wonder if there has been any thought to having some Exrah as Mercs, like the Morat's Krakot Renegades.

 
   
Made in bg
Cosmic Joe





Bulgaria

Neat as that would be isn't capturing Exrah alive supposed to be near impossible. That was like step one of how Krakot came about right.


Nosebiter wrote:
Codex Space Marine is renamed as Codex Counts As Because I Dont Like To Loose And Gw Hates My Army.
 
   
Made in us
Myrmidon Officer





NC

 HoverBoy wrote:
Neat as that would be isn't capturing Exrah alive supposed to be near impossible. That was like step one of how Krakot came about right.
Krakot Renegades are Morats that have been basically sentenced to death camps and end up working as mercenaries. Exrah are moreso bug-people.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/21 03:52:02


 
   
Made in us
Rogue Inquisitor with Xenos Bodyguards





Eastern edge

Man, I seriously want a heavy armor from Yu-Jing,,,the Mowang


That power suit looks between the heavy weaponeers and the TAGs

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/21 14:34:40


"Your mumblings are awakening the sleeping Dragon, be wary when meddling the affairs of Dragons, for thou art tasty and go good with either ketchup or chocolate. "
Dragons fear nothing, if it acts up, we breath magic fire that turns them into marshmallow peeps. We leaguers only cry rivets!



 
   
Made in gb
Multispectral Hsien





Gosport, UK

 shasolenzabi wrote:
Man, I seriously want a heavy armor from Yu-Jing,,,the Mowang


That power suit looks between the heavy weaponeers and the TAGs


The Mowang is coming in September.
   
Made in bg
Cosmic Joe





Bulgaria

 Absolutionis wrote:
 HoverBoy wrote:
Neat as that would be isn't capturing Exrah alive supposed to be near impossible. That was like step one of how Krakot came about right.
Krakot Renegades are Morats that have been basically sentenced to death camps and end up working as mercenaries. Exrah are moreso bug-people.

I was more refering to the fact Exrah where basically unable to survive damage so live capture, and pressing them into service, would be harder.


Nosebiter wrote:
Codex Space Marine is renamed as Codex Counts As Because I Dont Like To Loose And Gw Hates My Army.
 
   
Made in au
Longtime Dakkanaut





Melbourne, Australia

 AndrewGPaul wrote:

Are there any scenarios which limit "banned" weaponry? I've toyed with the idea in the past - having NPC Warcors transmitting battlefield footage, using banned weaponry in LOF of their cameras results in a penalty, and allowing players to hack the camera feeds.


"Sir, we have word they used plasma weaponry in front of a warcor"

*Punches first into hand* "We have them!"

"Not quite sir. The.... well, the warcor was from PanO."

"...."

"...."

"... they couldn't connect the modem, could they?"


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 shasolenzabi wrote:
Man, I seriously want a heavy armor from Yu-Jing,,,the Mowang



Mo'wang, mo'problems.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/07/22 00:41:54


The galaxy is littered with the single-planet graveyards of civilisations which made the economically sensible decision not to explore space. 
   
Made in us
Thermo-Optical Tuareg






Nashville, TN

I've got 99 problems, and Mo'wang ain't one...

"Holy Sh*&, you've opened my eyes and changed my mind about this topic, thanks Dakka OT!"

-Nobody Ever

Proverbs 18:2

"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

 warboss wrote:

GW didn't mean to hit your wallet and I know they love you, baby. I'm sure they won't do it again so it's ok to purchase and make up.


Albatross wrote:I think SlaveToDorkness just became my new hero.

EmilCrane wrote:Finecast is the new Matt Ward.

Don't mess with the Blade and Bolter! 
   
Made in us
Rogue Inquisitor with Xenos Bodyguards





Eastern edge

 ImAGeek wrote:
 shasolenzabi wrote:
Man, I seriously want a heavy armor from Yu-Jing,,,the Mowang


That power suit looks between the heavy weaponeers and the TAGs


The Mowang is coming in September.


Excellent! I can't wait but will as that is not so far off and away from now.

"Your mumblings are awakening the sleeping Dragon, be wary when meddling the affairs of Dragons, for thou art tasty and go good with either ketchup or chocolate. "
Dragons fear nothing, if it acts up, we breath magic fire that turns them into marshmallow peeps. We leaguers only cry rivets!



 
   
Made in us
Combat Jumping Ragik






Beyond the Beltway

 SlaveToDorkness wrote:
I've got 99 problems, and Mo'wang ain't one...
That's what she said.

Thoughs, folks, on these new bases with the LoF indications?


I would have preferred to have the markings recessed into the base, so that they are less obtrusive. Still, it's a neat idea.

 
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: