Switch Theme:

Mantic Changes?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




UK, Derbyshire.

i bought a small box of Dwarfs a couple of years ago that are still festering in the unpainted pile which was my only Mantic purchase untill the other day when i got a big box of Orcs. Now in the big box is the Journal with the basic rules - i like the look of them exept that on paper it looks like units are a bit easy to break, now my question is this: How much do the hard back rules differ from these? i am aware there are now magic items which seems a backwards step as far as simplicity goes.
Also there seem to be two other intermediary rule sets thirty something pages and fifty something pages (so-called "second edition", so is the hardback effectively 3rd -4th if you count the beta?)., is it worth getting hold of any of these or would it make more sence to try the free beta rules i have and then go for the hard back?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2013/03/04 20:51:10


   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





Cornwall UK

You can get the Kings of War ruleset for free from Mantic Games online at:
http://www.manticgames.com/Hobby/Gaming.html

The difference between this and the hardback is that it doesn't include the background of Mantica and its races, or all the cool pictures. Everything you need to play however, is in free downloadable PDFs.

LooT

Armies in Progress:
Too many to count, my bad.

Armies Completed:
erm... none..... don't look at me like that. Don't. NO! DON'T LOOK AT MEEE!!! 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




UK, Derbyshire.

 Lord of Timbraxia wrote:
You can get the Kings of War ruleset for free from Mantic Games online at:
http://www.manticgames.com/Hobby/Gaming.html

The difference between this and the hardback is that it doesn't include the background of Mantica and its races, or all the cool pictures. Everything you need to play however, is in free downloadable PDFs.

LooT


Thanks ive downloaded these and will have a proper look later, unfortunately i dont have a printer so i cant see me working from them during an actual game-maybe go through and add annotations to the beta version though.
Has anyone played any big games yet (300 models per side upwards)?

   
Made in gb
Jealous that Horus is Warmaster





Cornwall UK

Maybe not 300+ models a side, but as a general indicator, the first time me and my mate played KoW 3rd edition, we finished a game of about 100 models a side (1600pts approx) in 30 minutes, give or take some rule forgetting

A massive game of KoW won't take much longer than it will take to play an average game of WFB (about 1.5-2 hours)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/03/04 21:45:59


Armies in Progress:
Too many to count, my bad.

Armies Completed:
erm... none..... don't look at me like that. Don't. NO! DON'T LOOK AT MEEE!!! 
   
Made in us
Posts with Authority






Been in some big games, probably close to 300 figures per side.

Game took three hours, but that is including the pizza break and teaching the rules to a new player (who is now my girlfriend).

Undead and Twilight Kin vs. Dwarfs and More Dwarfs, with two players on each side.

I played an all rangers force of dwarfs, with Herneas to give them a boost, my girlfriend played a more conventional dwarf force.

Three hordes and one regiment of rangers.

The conventional dwarf force was smaller, but had three cannon.

I took the flanks, my girlfriend took the middle, and I rolled in behind the undead and twilight elves as they made for the middle.

The first time that I have ever successfully flanked with dwarfs!

No rules arguments, even with the new player.

One other difference between the hardback and the online version is that the hardcover has the rules for campaigns, sieges, and expanded entries for Magical Artefacts.

The Auld Grump

Kilkrazy wrote:When I was a young boy all my wargames were narratively based because I played with my toy soldiers and vehicles without the use of any rules.

The reason I bought rules and became a real wargamer was because I wanted a properly thought out structure to govern the action instead of just making things up as I went along.
 
   
Made in us
Krazed Killa Kan






Columbus, Oh

AND a big difference between the Hardback and the current quick-start mini-rulebook is that the hardback has points costs for all 8 armies. Yes, they are available to print and download, but the current points are not in the smaller rulebook.

-P

2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

Order of St Ursula (Sisters of Battle): W-2, L-1, T-1
Get of Freki (Space Wolves): W-3, L-1, T-1
Hive Fleet Portentosa (Nids/Stealers): W-6, L-4, T-0
Omega Marines (vanilla Space Marine): W-1, L-6, T-2
Waagh Magshak (Orks): W-4, L-0, T-1
A.V.P.D.W.: W-0, L-2, T-0

www.40korigins.com
bringing 40k Events to Origins Game Fair in Columbus, Oh. Ask me for more info! 
   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




UK, Derbyshire.

 TheAuldGrump wrote:
Been in some big games, probably close to 300 figures per side.

Game took three hours, but that is including the pizza break and teaching the rules to a new player (who is now my girlfriend).

Undead and Twilight Kin vs. Dwarfs and More Dwarfs, with two players on each side.

I played an all rangers force of dwarfs, with Herneas to give them a boost, my girlfriend played a more conventional dwarf force.

Three hordes and one regiment of rangers.

The conventional dwarf force was smaller, but had three cannon.

I took the flanks, my girlfriend took the middle, and I rolled in behind the undead and twilight elves as they made for the middle.

The first time that I have ever successfully flanked with dwarfs!


Thats a win right there, cant see scoring with chicks by trying to teach WHFB.

No rules arguments, even with the new player.

One other difference between the hardback and the online version is that the hardcover has the rules for campaigns, sieges, and expanded entries for Magical Artefacts.

The Auld Grump



Automatically Appended Next Post:
 porkuslime wrote:
AND a big difference between the Hardback and the current quick-start mini-rulebook is that the hardback has points costs for all 8 armies. Yes, they are available to print and download, but the current points are not in the smaller rulebook.

-P


Good to know.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2013/03/05 19:10:28


   
Made in us
Posts with Authority






jprp wrote:
 TheAuldGrump wrote:
Been in some big games, probably close to 300 figures per side.

Game took three hours, but that is including the pizza break and teaching the rules to a new player (who is now my girlfriend).

Undead and Twilight Kin vs. Dwarfs and More Dwarfs, with two players on each side.

I played an all rangers force of dwarfs, with Herneas to give them a boost, my girlfriend played a more conventional dwarf force.

Three hordes and one regiment of rangers.

The conventional dwarf force was smaller, but had three cannon.

I took the flanks, my girlfriend took the middle, and I rolled in behind the undead and twilight elves as they made for the middle.

The first time that I have ever successfully flanked with dwarfs!



That's a win right there, cant see scoring with chicks by trying to teach WHFB.

Just one step in a long, slow, mutual seduction that began when she sat skyclad on my lap at a pagan retreat - I was there running Pathfinder. I managed to not realize that it was a seduction attempt at the time.... I thought that she was just trying to freak the 'dane. And two of my other RPG players knew about it ahead of time....

Took almost two years for things to fall into place. Pathfinder, Spycraft 2.0, steampunk, Kings of War, and British Isles punk music all played their parts. We finally had our first date-date just two weeks ago. (Dozens of not-date-dates before then.) She will be introducing me to her mum on St. Patrick's Day.

The Auld Grump, scared spitless....

Kilkrazy wrote:When I was a young boy all my wargames were narratively based because I played with my toy soldiers and vehicles without the use of any rules.

The reason I bought rules and became a real wargamer was because I wanted a properly thought out structure to govern the action instead of just making things up as I went along.
 
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

 TheAuldGrump wrote:
Been in some big games, probably close to 300 figures per side.

Game took three hours, but that is including the pizza break and teaching the rules to a new player (who is now my girlfriend).


That is quite possibly the best advert for a game I have ever read

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
Excellent discussion forum & information collection for Epic and other small scale miniatures: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php
 
   
 
Forum Index » Mantic Miniature Games (Kings of War, etc.)
Go to: