Switch Theme:

[Killteam] Ork Tackticks: The Little Waagh  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Skullhammer wrote:
Damn.... oh well da boss loses the claw and has a big choppa instead, good job hes not been used yet, da previous boss with big choppa died to a flesh wound (face palm).
Either way the tatic stays the same.


I like the concept of the list, the multi damage melee I can see being quite powerful. Unsure about stuff like the Kustom Mega Blaster because of the 5+ BS on orks. If Commanders are not "leaders" then I am unsure as to what I would do, the commander aura for the charging distance would be pretty clutch
   
Made in be
Orc Bully with a Peg Leg




Hasselt, Belgium

Coh Magnussen wrote:
I have a single Gunner because I only have one big-shoota . I'm not averse to swapping him for another kommando, but I don't actually have another kommando yet (kommandos i can build, but I don't have the bits required to make another big shoota yet)

Good ol' WYSIWYG. I know that feeling.
Can't field any Kommandos because of it

That said I think one shoota boy is a bit of a waste due to him hitting things on a 5+.
Maybe some extra Gretchin to use as mobile cover would be a better choice?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/10/15 14:45:40


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





If my opponent doesn't mind under-sized models then I could field my 'tankbustas' as rokkit gunners (my tankbustas are actually gretchin equipped with rokkits -- I'm thinking individual model size matters way more in KT than in 40k though, and they might be considered "modeling for advantage" in KT even though they're actually modeled for fluff in the 40k army )
   
Made in au
Blood Angel Terminator with Lightning Claws






Hey Orky Dorkies (sorry), what’s the cheapest way of getting a cool, mixed Ork team? I like the idea of a group of rogue Ork looters (not a group of the unit lootas, a group who loots) and it’d be cool to have a couple of Grots, a loota or 2 and burna Boyz, a few Boyz, a sweet boss nob, etc. Basicaly a sweet mix of dudes who aren’t just burna Boyz like the Kill Team box set comes with. I’m a little frightened that I may need to get a force worth of boxes to pick and choose all the options but you guys might have some cool sets or something to send my way.

Cheers in advance
   
Made in be
Orc Bully with a Peg Leg




Hasselt, Belgium

The Ork starter set for Kill Team comes with a spanna and 4 Orks which you can equip as either burnaz or lootaz.
I've built my set to have two of each and a spanna, bought an extra box of Gretchin and a box of four Ork boyz.
That gave me a decent-sized force.

You can use the herder in the Gretchin box as a "counts as" Nob, or shell out for a box of them (which is needed anyway if you want to play WYSIWYG with the weapon options).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/10/16 11:09:47


 
   
Made in nl
Hardened Veteran Guardsman





Segmentum Solar

 Tiberius501 wrote:
Hey Orky Dorkies (sorry), what’s the cheapest way of getting a cool, mixed Ork team? I like the idea of a group of rogue Ork looters (not a group of the unit lootas, a group who loots) and it’d be cool to have a couple of Grots, a loota or 2 and burna Boyz, a few Boyz, a sweet boss nob, etc. Basicaly a sweet mix of dudes who aren’t just burna Boyz like the Kill Team box set comes with. I’m a little frightened that I may need to get a force worth of boxes to pick and choose all the options but you guys might have some cool sets or something to send my way.

Cheers in advance

From the sprues in the Ork starter set you can make Lootas as well as Burnas. Basically, if you're not too bothered by the optional extra tactics and tokens etc. , forget about the starter set and instead get a Boyz box, a Gretchin box, and a Burna/Loota box. That should give you enough to create:

10 Ork Boyz (optionally 1 with Big Shoota and 1 with Rokkit Launcher, both also usable as a Spanner), any of which you could potentially convert/count as Kommandos
1 Nob (either with choppa or with Power Klaw), which you could also convert/count as a Kommando Boss Nob
4 Lootas or 4 Burnas (or any combination thereof, i.e., 2 of each. You can also use the additional Loota/Burna equipment on the Boyz bodies to create 4 Burnas and 4 Lootas at the expense of creating more Boyz/Kommandos, if you wish. The Ork stuff is all interchangeable.)
1 Spanner (with all options)
10 Gretchin
1 Runtherd (whose bits you can use to represent another Boy or Kommando).

Basically that gives you all options except for both Nobs at the same time. For that second Nob, you'll either need another Boyz box (giving you also more Boyz and more options for additional Big Shootas and Rokkit Launchers), or a Nobz box, which will give you access to all the equipment options a Nob has (and will allow you to build several so you can swap equipment between games).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/10/16 11:14:31


 
   
Made in au
Blood Angel Terminator with Lightning Claws






 Insane Ivan wrote:
 Tiberius501 wrote:
Hey Orky Dorkies (sorry), what’s the cheapest way of getting a cool, mixed Ork team? I like the idea of a group of rogue Ork looters (not a group of the unit lootas, a group who loots) and it’d be cool to have a couple of Grots, a loota or 2 and burna Boyz, a few Boyz, a sweet boss nob, etc. Basicaly a sweet mix of dudes who aren’t just burna Boyz like the Kill Team box set comes with. I’m a little frightened that I may need to get a force worth of boxes to pick and choose all the options but you guys might have some cool sets or something to send my way.

Cheers in advance

From the sprues in the Ork starter set you can make Lootas as well as Burnas. Basically, if you're not too bothered by the optional extra tactics and tokens etc. , forget about the starter set and instead get a Boyz box, a Gretchin box, and a Burna/Loota box. That should give you enough to create:

10 Ork Boyz (optionally 1 with Big Shoota and 1 with Rokkit Launcher, both also usable as a Spanner), any of which you could potentially convert/count as Kommandos
1 Nob (either with choppa or with Power Klaw), which you could also convert/count as a Kommando Boss Nob
4 Lootas or 4 Burnas (or any combination thereof, i.e., 2 of each. You can also use the additional Loota/Burna equipment on the Boyz bodies to create 4 Burnas and 4 Lootas at the expense of creating more Boyz/Kommandos, if you wish. The Ork stuff is all interchangeable.)
1 Spanner (with all options)
10 Gretchin
1 Runtherd (whose bits you can use to represent another Boy or Kommando).

Basically that gives you all options except for both Nobs at the same time. For that second Nob, you'll either need another Boyz box (giving you also more Boyz and more options for additional Big Shootas and Rokkit Launchers), or a Nobz box, which will give you access to all the equipment options a Nob has (and will allow you to build several so you can swap equipment between games).


That’s actually not too expensive either. Hmmm... I may be able to get these dudes after all, cheers for all the info!
   
Made in us
Contagious Dreadnought of Nurgle





So, having digested the Commanders book the last few days, I can see a cheap Warboss being a decent buff to our Killteams, if not for anyhting but to give us a bump in points for more Killteam members.

Warboss seems best with Ferocity, and Melee for brawlers, or Leadership for some good morale buffs.

The KFF Mek could be a fun unit. Keep him cheap, and spend points on more Boyz. I play a kommandos ist, so my main defense is -2 to hit in cover, so an extra save might be useful.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/10/24 05:48:38


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Technically the Commander doesn't give you any more points, but missions who say a Commander is required have higher point totals and well require a Commander from all parties

I agree I think the Warboss seems most useful for the 3D6 for charge rolls (two bad its pick the best two dice and not actual 3D6 charges)

The fact that the KFF Mek you have to pay for the KFF and I think it replaces their weapon kind of sucks
   
Made in us
Khorne Rhino Driver with Destroyer






Anyone have any tips for playing against DG? Played three games against them last night and I don't think I managed to actually kill a single marine between my horrible wound rolls and him never failing a 5+++ roll.

2400+
1500+
1000
500 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Got my book, I misread/it was misinterpreted looks like the big mek can keep his slugga/choppa and take the KFF for free but if he swaps his gear for anything else like the shock attack gun or kustom mega blasta he cannot take the KFF

The KFF is required for his aura tactic which gives orks within 6" a 5+ invuln to shooting
   
Made in us
Contagious Dreadnought of Nurgle





Jaynen wrote:
Technically the Commander doesn't give you any more points, but missions who say a Commander is required have higher point totals and well require a Commander from all parties

I agree I think the Warboss seems most useful for the 3D6 for charge rolls (two bad its pick the best two dice and not actual 3D6 charges)

The fact that the KFF Mek you have to pay for the KFF and I think it replaces their weapon kind of sucks


Well, If you only use 50-60 pts on a commander, you get 140-150 pts leftover for the rest of the Killteam. I think thats a smarter move than blowing 160 pts on a single Commander then throwing a few models in with the spare change.
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Actually, the language of the RAW text for the Ork Big Mek says, This model is armed with slugga, choppa, and stickbombs

and then it says this model may either replace its slugga with a kustom mega slugga or shokk attack gun, or may take a kustom force field

So I think it keeps its base stuff
Yes a cheap commander means more points for other stuff but the point total allowed is based on the missions not based on the commander
   
Made in ca
Longtime Dakkanaut





Toronto

The painboy doesnt look terrible for a cheapo commander either. He's basically just another powerklaw nob (with more wounds), and in terms of actual damage output, he has the same number of attacks as the warboss.
Taking fleshwounds off nearby boys also seems universally handy, whereas the waagh strikes me as pretty situational or once per game trick.
Warboss is obviously cooler and more beefy though.

   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Let's see Warboss is
5 2 5 6 5 6 4 8 4+
Painboy is
5 3 5 5 4 4 4 6 6+

so you lose 1 weapon skill 1 str 1 toughness 1 wound and 2 leadership and 2 armor save and he's hitting on 4's because his weapon is a claw because of the WS 3

and personally, I would probably take the free big choppa instead anyway for the still str 8 and guaranteed 2 dmg vs the d3

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/10/30 00:00:45


 
   
Made in gb
Death-Dealing Dark Angels Devastator



Leeds, UK

So I fancied a change from playing Space Marines and fancied dipping my toes into Orks. This will most likely end up as a starter for a 40k army.

I've ordered:

A box of Grots
A box of Boyz
A box of Burnas/Lootas.

That should give me a few options I think for KT? Any tips?
   
Made in us
Wicked Warp Spider





Herbington wrote:
So I fancied a change from playing Space Marines and fancied dipping my toes into Orks. This will most likely end up as a starter for a 40k army.

I've ordered:

A box of Grots
A box of Boyz
A box of Burnas/Lootas.

That should give me a few options I think for KT? Any tips?

Unless you want the nob box for the models and the options, you are set.
You would want to convert Kommandos. I cannot recommend enough the FW ones for their sculpts (WARNING: the Nob has an illegal weapon, I had to work on it to implement a Power Klaw), albeit I understand many will not want to invest in them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/10/31 16:58:25


Generic characters disappearing? Elite units of your army losing options and customizations? No longer finding that motivation to convert?
Your army could suffer Post-Chapterhouse Stress Disorder (PCSD)! If you think that your army is suffering one or more of the aforementioned symptoms, call us at 789-666-1982 for a quick diagnosis! 
   
Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User






Iv'e played 7 Kill Team games with Orks and have been fairly successful. Played against Necrons, Skitarii, and Grey Knights.

Always play the mission #1 rule =D.

LIST
[Leader] Gretchin - Hide in the back of course or sitting LOS on a objective is where he loves to command.
[Demo] Boss Nob - Big Choppa + Kombi Skorcha, Combine with Dakka Dakka Dakka is very deadly then get in combat even better and safer.
[Combat or Veteran] Kommando Boss Nob - PowerKlaw. If veteran, combine take forward position with adaptive tactics (1 CP) and charge turn 1 (if LOS you can also declare multiple targets within 12" as a bluff to get them retreat rendering them useless to fire at the kommandos sneaking up. Turn 2 if target is not dead and you lose the initiative, use on one of the kommandos sneaking up in the back Decisive Move (1 CP) to keep them in combat.
Veteran kommando or scout grot for meat shield for 3rd specialist

7 Kommandos - Keep the enemy at bay with -2 in cover (if no cover stagger your kommandos or 1 grot infront) , moving up the board taking over the board control.
3 Grotz - capture objectives and be hidden is better than having kommandos sitting on objectives with -2 to hit.

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 2019/01/14 17:00:09


WaAaGH! 
   
Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User






defleshed2 wrote:
Iv'e played 13 Kill Team games with Orks and have been fairly successful (only lost twice). Played against Necrons, Skitarii, Grey Knights, and Space Marine

Always play the mission #1 rule =D.

LIST
[Leader] Gretchin - Hide in the back of course or sitting LOS on a objective is where he loves to command.
[Demo] Boss Nob - Big Choppa + Kombi Skorcha, Combine with Dakka Dakka Dakka is very deadly then get in combat even better and safer.
[Combat or Veteran] Kommando Boss Nob - PowerKlaw. If veteran, combine take forward position with adaptive tactics (1 CP) and charge turn 1 (if LOS you can also declare multiple targets within 12" as a bluff to get them retreat rendering them useless to fire at the kommandos sneaking up. Turn 2 if target is not dead and you lose the initiative, use on one of the kommandos sneaking up in the back Decisive Move (1 CP) to keep them in combat.
Veteran kommando or scout grot for meat shield for 3rd specialist

7 Kommandos - Keep the enemy at bay with -2 in cover (if no cover stagger your kommandos or 1 grot infront) , moving up the board taking over the board control.
3 Grotz - capture objectives and be hidden is better than having kommandos sitting on objectives with -2 to hit.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 2019/02/04 14:43:00


WaAaGH! 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Got a few more games under my belt -- we're still learning so we're phasing in rules as we go (first couple games we just skipped right over nerve tests, and we haven't done scouting phase at all yet).

One of those was against a tau team with all stealth suits. What on earth can we do when faced with fast flying opponents that have guns? If I get initiative, even if I charge he can just fall back when he gets his turn. If I lose initiative I at least have a chance of getting a round of close combat, but only if he stays within 12" of my guys and doesn't retreat when I charge.

Also a rules question -- if I fail my charge, can I still select the guy that charged when it gets to combat time and pile-in 3" (perhaps getting close enough to fight after all)? Similarly if I charge and he retreats 3", can I just pile-in to close that distance again? My reading of the rules seems to indicate that I can (hooray for close-combat models?)
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut




Savannah

Coh Magnussen wrote:
Got a few more games under my belt -- we're still learning so we're phasing in rules as we go (first couple games we just skipped right over nerve tests, and we haven't done scouting phase at all yet).

One of those was against a tau team with all stealth suits. What on earth can we do when faced with fast flying opponents that have guns? If I get initiative, even if I charge he can just fall back when he gets his turn. If I lose initiative I at least have a chance of getting a round of close combat, but only if he stays within 12" of my guys and doesn't retreat when I charge.

Also a rules question -- if I fail my charge, can I still select the guy that charged when it gets to combat time and pile-in 3" (perhaps getting close enough to fight after all)? Similarly if I charge and he retreats 3", can I just pile-in to close that distance again? My reading of the rules seems to indicate that I can (hooray for close-combat models?)

You should probably have a few guns to deal with people who are otherwise hard to reach (even just something as simple as being on a second story without a nearby access point makes punching them difficult). You're pretty much always hitting on 6s anyway, so who cares if the shot's at long range, obscured, and at a -1 to hit stealth suit? I generally bring at least a few big shootas and a loota to take pot shots. A nob with kombi-skorcha is never a bad idea, either (S5 AP-1 with d6 auto-hits is nice for reaching out and touching people). Give him Demo and pop the More Dakka strat to shoot twice and he'll wreck whatever he gets within 8" of.

Playing for the objectives is another answer (though I'd do both). If he spends all game avoiding you, he's not going to score many VPs and a stealth suit isn't all that lethal (four shots hitting on 5s are only going to do ~.74 wounds a turn to a boy, so you'll only lose one every two-three turns or so per suit).

You can't fall back if charged that turn, so you're good if you make it in. He can retreat instead of firing overwatch to make a charge that much harder (most people then can't shoot at all that turn, but FLY lets stealth suits do so), but not fall back.

Failing a charge (whether due to someone retreating or just rolling poorly) does not count as a charge, so you can't pile in to fight. You just get to move at them (note you still can't shoot that turn, though).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2019/03/29 14:50:50


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Oooh, I didn't realize you couldn't fall back if you were charged. I ended up basically tabled, my team consisting of a combi-skorcha nob, a kommando nob, a big shoota boy, a regular boy, a grot, and a pile of kommmandos. I need to make another big shoota. My skorcha nob does have demo, I think he got picked off pretty early but it's been awhile so I dont' rightly remember. the tau opponent has since decided to focus on 'nids so that will be a completely different battle next time I face him!
   
Made in ru
Regular Dakkanaut





Shrapnelbait wrote:
After tossing it around with my opponents, we are looking to put in a houserule for Ork survivability.

'Ard Boyz: An ork model can increase it's save to 4+, but loses the 'Ere We Go ability

It is exactly the same as the Genestealer ability Extended Carapace, so does have precedent, and proven to not be broken.

I feel like it'd be a go-to option for any ork killteam. You'd march your boys forward and use them as a movile cover for commandos, while `ard boys are soaking hits with 4+. Also with high ammount of bodies orks can get it'd start stacking up rather quickly. I like the idea, but I feel like drawback is too little to make it an option, and turns it into upgrade. I think a price increase of 1 pts would be neccessary. That is, I love 'ardboys, really sad to see no option for it.
   
Made in cz
Mysterious Techpriest






Fortress world of Ostrakan

Hello!

My friend wishes to start an Ork Killteam and I'm helping him, but I don't know Orks very well.
What would be a good generalist (slightly anti-marine oriented) list on 125p?

I personally like the Flash Gitz. Heavy specialism is good on one but it's a bit costly. with Gitfinda upgrade. Are they good for their price? Then can shoot like crazy.

My basic idea is:
++Leader++
Boss Nob (17) - what is a good loadout? I think a leader is better staying a bit further from the fray, shooting.

++Specialists++
+Demo+
Boss Nob (boy)(14) - Kombi Scorcha

+Heavy+
Flash Git Kaptin (28) - Gitfinda (3+ ballistics!)

+Veteran+
Kommando Boss Nob (12) - again, loadout suggestion?

++Non-specialists++
Burna Boy (12)
Burna Boy (12)
Kommando (8)
Kommando (8)
Gretchin (3)
Gretchin (3)
Ork Gunner (7) - Big shoota

Feel free to make suggestions, I'll be happy for any input. Should it be more melee oriented or shootier? Klan Kultur suggestions are welcomed too!

Thanks!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2019/06/06 12:05:45



Neutran Panzergrenadiers, Ostrakan Skitarii Legions, Order of the Silver Hand
My fan-lore: Europan Planetary federation. Hot topic: Help with Minotaurs chapter Killteam






 
   
Made in be
Orc Bully with a Peg Leg




Hasselt, Belgium

Ork shooting is pretty terrible. With the rules for cover and range/movement penalties you'll be hitting at 6'es most of the time.

Close Combat is the way to go!
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Whoah, flashgitz in killteam? Did I miss an Ork update?
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





Coh Magnussen wrote:
Whoah, flashgitz in killteam? Did I miss an Ork update?


Kill team elites....lots of new options for almost every faction.
   
Made in ca
Dive-Bombin' Fighta-Bomba Pilot





 Hawky wrote:
Hello!

My friend wishes to start an Ork Killteam and I'm helping him, but I don't know Orks very well.
What would be a good generalist (slightly anti-marine oriented) list on 125p?

I personally like the Flash Gitz. Heavy specialism is good on one but it's a bit costly. with Gitfinda upgrade. Are they good for their price? Then can shoot like crazy.

My basic idea is:
++Leader++
Boss Nob (17) - what is a good loadout? I think a leader is better staying a bit further from the fray, shooting.

++Specialists++
+Demo+
Boss Nob (boy)(14) - Kombi Scorcha

+Heavy+
Flash Git Kaptin (28) - Gitfinda (3+ ballistics!)

+Veteran+
Kommando Boss Nob (12) - again, loadout suggestion?

++Non-specialists++
Burna Boy (12)
Burna Boy (12)
Kommando (8)
Kommando (8)
Gretchin (3)
Gretchin (3)
Ork Gunner (7) - Big shoota

Feel free to make suggestions, I'll be happy for any input. Should it be more melee oriented or shootier? Klan Kultur suggestions are welcomed too!

Thanks!



I recently tried out a Flash Git Heavy specialist with the Targeting Squig upgrade. He whiffed a bit the first couple of turns I used him against a Necron player (got unlucky and rolled 6's for damage table). But once he gets rolling, he can really lay the hurt on. Assuming that you manage to deploy him on a central or elevated area, he is very nasty. Having a 4+ save base makes a big difference when hiding in cover, and with 2W it requires a significant amount of firepower to put him down. Combine the Dakka Dakka Dakka! stratagem with the Heavy's stratagem of adding 1 extra shot and he can pump out 8 shots a turn (potentially 12 if you roll a 6 for gun crazy show offs!). S6 is a sweet spot for strength as well since it means you wound most heavy infantry on 3's while also wounding lighter infantry like Eldar on 2's. The 2 damage is just extra icing on the cake, super useful against guys like Plague Marines. The only problem is that he only benefits from Freebooterz, which means if you do have an army built around him, you kinda need to go for the Freeboota kultur, which thankfully is one of the better ones anyways.

I'm mainly debating at this point whether I should have a Comms specialist to help him out even more or if that would be too many eggs in one basket.

As far as Kulturs go, I would say Deffskullz, Evil Sunz and Freebooterz are the top ones atm. Deffskullz because having a 6+ invuln. when we almost never do comes in handy, and the free rerolls help save us from using CP on it. Evil Sunz extra speed makes it a lot more reliable for us to make charges and cross the board, while Freebooterz gives us much needed accuracy in shooting/CC, especially when the flesh wounds start kicking in.

Snakebites is okay, Bad Moons I find is outdone by Freebooterz, and our best shooting unit of Flash Gitz isn't able to take advantage of their trait, while Blood Axes unfortunately only really benefit flamer units, which you'd have to build your list around on, who are generally pretty expensive and hard to pull off since they typically need to advance to reach their ideal targets, making them lose the initiative to enemy models who readied.

My milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard and they're like, hurr darry darr.


My suggestion to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy, if you have a bad wife you'll become a philosopher. 
   
 
Forum Index » Games Workshop Board Games & Specialist Games
Go to: