Switch Theme:

If you could make one major change to the setting what would it be?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in au
Osprey Reader




The one change I would make to the setting is rewind it all to the background circa late 3rd / early 4th edition. Before it went all Saturday Morning Cartoon.

But failing that--heck, even along with that--I would make the Necrons the Men of Iron.

None of this War in Heaven vs the Eldar, millions of years old, new-big-bad malarkey that 3rd edition tried to push.

No, they're human-created robots and AI that rebelled against us and caused the downfall of the Dark Age of Technology. And now they're back.

That's why they appear designed specifically to look frightening to humans.

And the reason working STCs are pretty much nowhere to be found is because humanity destroyed them all to stop them pumping out Necrons.

Possibly the real threat were the helpful AIs that came packaged with every STC, which went rogue in classic Skynet fashion. I expect they were called STC-TAN. The most advanced--the Class One minds, as Brian Aldiss might put it--could oversee whole solar systems. Thankfully they were all destroyed. Oh wait, we missed that one controlling the Dyson Sphere out in the boonies. But I'm sure we killed off the one running Mars. Didn't we?

Also, Necron gauss flayer weapons are actually very painful teleporters. They break you down and transmit you back to the tomb, where some part of you (brain, consciousness, whatever) is installed in an emotionless Necron body, Cyberman style.

The rationale for all this is that Necrons were supposed to be Undead In SPAAAACE... but no incarnation of Necrons has ever really been scary, because all they do is kill you. Many things in 40K do much worse to you than that. Newcrons, Oldcrons, Old-oldcrons... none of them really hit the mark.

Undead in Warhammer, on the other hand, kill you and then raise you from the dead to join their ranks. Therefore Necrons in 40K should do a sci-fi version of that.

Chaos is raw emotion? Then the logical solution is to remove emotion from humanity in order to save us from ourselves. By making us all emotionless zombie bots. "Necrons will remove fear. Necrons will remove grief. You will become like us. This is a kindness." Etc.

Edit: And you can include the Tomb Kings style Newcrons too, because they're the ones who retained more of their human personalities after a botched 'conversion'.



 Flipsiders wrote:
 Insectum7 wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
I thought of one other:

I would have never revealed who or what the Legion of the Damned are.
Oh no. . . were they revealed somehow?


I think he's just alluding to the suggestion which has been around for a while that they're all Fire Hawks.


Wasn't that revealed way back in 2nd edition, in the White Dwarf article that made a full army list for them, with a Dreadought and Rhino? But yes, even as a kid I was annoyed by that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/10 12:21:54


 
   
Made in gb
Battleship Captain




Not exactly.
Whilst all fire hawks ended up in the legion of the damned, not all legionnaires were originally fire hawks.

1) we have an example of the legion 'recruiting' (sort of!) In the short story Animus Malorem.

2) the legions' first appearance predates the loss of the fire hawks chapter

3) at least one strongly hinted first appearance is during the war in the webway during the Horus Heresy in Master of Mankind. The name 'legion of the damned' isn't used, but the description is spot on. The marines in question are the ghosts of the istvaan dropsite massacre.

4) it's worth noting that the fire hawks flagship, Raptorus Rex, shares it's name with the original name of Kor Phaeron's flagship at Calth.

Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2835
 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

That's just another example of the HH books going and over explaining something and making it all linked to the HH.

That kinda gak is the stuff we need less of, not more of. What's next, the Horus Heresy was responsible for the activation of Necron awakening protocols? Some random HH battle accidentally altered the genetic code of some Tau, thereby creating the Ethereal caste?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/10 13:32:28


Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in gb
Lit By the Flames of Prospero






Kor Phaeron's flagship was renamed to the Infidus Imperator and was destroyed by the Ultramarines. The Fire Hawks flagship was a mobile space station. Ships get named the same thing all the time *cough*Enterprise*cough*
As for the ghosts seen during the Webway war, real world events have an effect on the Warp. With the Emperor being a sort of conduit for Warp energy, you could say that the psychic backlash from the events of Isstvan were powerful enough to manifest a new form of Daemon, one tied to the Anathema rather than one of the Four. The Legion of the Damned don't actually seem tied to any one specific origin and it could just be that any soul that becomes bound to the Emperor has the chance of manifesting as one of His Daemons.
   
Made in ua
Dakka Veteran




Sweden

Mimic Byzantine history more by having the Imperium of Man successively shrinking over ten millennia of dogged resistance, slumps and temporary silver ages of succesful fightback and reconquest.

The Imperium holding the line at a million worlds by constant reconquest, colonization and succesful defence is a lovely feature, but it does not play up the Byzantine decay, multifront warfare and faltering military as much as a long-term shrinking Imperium would do.

Let Imperial rot show in the number of worlds under Holy Terran control. Let there be more of late antique and medieval Roman empire in space:

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2021/10/10 19:46:43


   
Made in es
[DCM]
Secret Inquisitorial Eldar Xenexecutor






your mind

 MinMax wrote:
I would remove Primaris Marines from the setting.
Spoiler:

You're not my dad, you can't tell me what not to post
!

Exactly this.
New models for OG marines. Done.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Da Boss wrote:
Duskweaver said it better than I ever could have.

Absolutely! Almost pulled a muscle I hit that exalt button so fast!


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Zenithfleet wrote:
The one change I would make to the setting is rewind it all to the background circa late 3rd / early 4th edition. Before it went all Saturday Morning Cartoon.

But failing that--heck, even along with that--I would make the Necrons the Men of Iron.
Spoiler:

None of this War in Heaven vs the Eldar, millions of years old, new-big-bad malarkey that 3rd edition tried to push.

No, they're human-created robots and AI that rebelled against us and caused the downfall of the Dark Age of Technology. And now they're back.

That's why they appear designed specifically to look frightening to humans.

And the reason working STCs are pretty much nowhere to be found is because humanity destroyed them all to stop them pumping out Necrons.

Possibly the real threat were the helpful AIs that came packaged with every STC, which went rogue in classic Skynet fashion. I expect they were called STC-TAN. The most advanced--the Class One minds, as Brian Aldiss might put it--could oversee whole solar systems. Thankfully they were all destroyed. Oh wait, we missed that one controlling the Dyson Sphere out in the boonies. But I'm sure we killed off the one running Mars. Didn't we?

Also, Necron gauss flayer weapons are actually very painful teleporters. They break you down and transmit you back to the tomb, where some part of you (brain, consciousness, whatever) is installed in an emotionless Necron body, Cyberman style.

The rationale for all this is that Necrons were supposed to be Undead In SPAAAACE... but no incarnation of Necrons has ever really been scary, because all they do is kill you. Many things in 40K do much worse to you than that. Newcrons, Oldcrons, Old-oldcrons... none of them really hit the mark.

Undead in Warhammer, on the other hand, kill you and then raise you from the dead to join their ranks. Therefore Necrons in 40K should do a sci-fi version of that.

Chaos is raw emotion? Then the logical solution is to remove emotion from humanity in order to save us from ourselves. By making us all emotionless zombie bots. "Necrons will remove fear. Necrons will remove grief. You will become like us. This is a kindness." Etc.

Edit: And you can include the Tomb Kings style Newcrons too, because they're the ones who retained more of their human personalities after a botched 'conversion'.



 Flipsiders wrote:
 Insectum7 wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
I thought of one other:

I would have never revealed who or what the Legion of the Damned are.
Oh no. . . were they revealed somehow?


I think he's just alluding to the suggestion which has been around for a while that they're all Fire Hawks.


Wasn't that revealed way back in 2nd edition, in the White Dwarf article that made a full army list for them, with a Dreadought and Rhino? But yes, even as a kid I was annoyed by that.


Agreed and wow! There is some killer stuff in this thread. Almost pulled my other muscle!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/10/10 19:51:54


   
Made in us
Mutilatin' Mad Dok




Sedona, Arizona

"Ork tech works / is enhanced because they think it should be."


"Orks break reality with group think" isn't explicitly cannon, it started as an in-universe theory postulated by a frustrated Tech Priest. Keeping in mind that the Mechanicus doesn't even understand old human tech / thinks its magic, it's more likely that Ork tech functions normally but they refuse to think that such "primitive xenos" could have found simple and functional solutions to problems they struggle with. And while the most recent codex leans more heavily into it, it doesn't take it beyond merely a possibility with some evidence pointing to be being fairly plausible.

I'd love if we could do away with this being an actual possibility (keep it as the "imperium view") and just boil it down to what makes sense. Stuff along the lines of:

When a Mek makes a bomb with a larger than usual payload, they paint it yellow without any additional thought.

When a vehicle accidentally has an out-sized engine / chasis made out of a lighter (but equally durable) material / something else which would let it go noticeably faster, its painted red to signify this.

Blue paint is worn by orks who're tough, more resilient, and just more prone to taking cover or ducking so they don't get their head shot off.

Orks instinctively knowing how Ork tech works, despite not consciously knowing how it works, is 110% setting friendly.

 welshhoppo wrote:

I like my Orks how I like my Emperor, dead.
 
   
Made in ie
Dakka Veteran




Ireland

 Duskweaver wrote:
Arguably, this isn't just "one change", but what I'd really want to do can be summarized as "bring the mystery back".

Delete all the Horus Heresy stuff. Explicitly make it non-canon. Delete Guilliman's return. Delete Cawl.

Nobody in the Imperium is more than 1000 or so years old (so Dante can still exist, and you can still have some ancient, senile AdMech magi). Nobody in the Imperium remembers the Horus Heresy, or the Age of Apostasy or any of that. It's all myths and legends. Did it even happen? Is the Emperor even real, or is the Throne room just a sealed room full of machinery nobody understands? Did the founders of the SoB really get taken to see the Emperor by the Custodes, or was that just a story invented to cover up them assassinating Vandire for other reasons?

Nobody knows.

Did the primarchs exist, or were they just the original leaders of the Astartes, or the scientists who designed them, filtered through 10,000 years of ignorance and supersition? Are the daemon primarchs just powerful daemons who have convinced a bunch of Warp-crazy traitor Astartes that they are their fathers, and that they're part of some glorious holy war against "the False Emperor"? Maybe they call him that because they know he never really existed?

Nobody knows.

Is that really Roboute Guilliman in that stasis field on Macragge? Or is it just an ancient abhuman giant in armour? Or a statue painted to look like a living man? You can't see properly through the blurring of the stasis field. And you can't switch the field off to check. If it's really Guilliman, switching off the field might kill him. Or what if that's not Guilliman but rather the traitorous brother who killed him? Switching off the field might unleash a terrifying horror from the ancient past that the present-day Imperium has no way to deal with.

Nobody knows.

Do the Traitor Legions even remember things as they were? Can anyone trust their memories after ten millennia in the Eye of Terror? The oldest of them might remember a great galactic war against a glowing golden figure who led their brothers against them. But did that really happen? Is it a trick of the Chaos Gods to make them want to conquer/destroy Terra? Or maybe they're the ones who fought for the Emperor and then were betrayed, and the 'loyalist' Astartes are really just a later creation (not as strong but more controllable) made to defend the nascent Imperium from their outcast predecessors? Maybe the original Chaos Marines were actually the Thunder Warriors?

Nobody knows.

Maybe Living Saints are real, or maybe it's all a con by the Ecclesiarchy who keeps putting a new mindwiped and hypno-indoctrinated woman in that fancy golden armour every time the previous 'Celestine' gets her head lopped off by Kharn? Even if they're real, are they anything to do with the Emperor, or are they spawned by the Chaos gods as a joke? Or are they just a new evolution of the human psyker gene, the next stage of the human species as designed by the Old Ones? Are they the Eldar gods who have found a way to cheat Slaanesh and are reincarnating in human bodies now? Are they the biological descendants of the Emperor from the thousands of years he spent in hiding on Old Earth? Or are they the last fading remnants of the superhuman subspecies that gave rise to the Emperor in the first place?

Nobody knows.

The point is that I'd ensure the official fluff would present things in such a way as to avoid nailing down anything that the people of the Imperium couldn't possibly know the 'real' answer to. So you'd never have some 10,000 year old supergenius popping up and telling us all "this is how it really happened". Recent events would still be known, and basic facts about the setting (like how space marines are made, or which part of the galaxy Iyanden is in, or how orks reproduce) would still have an 'objectively true' version (even if most people in the setting are wrong about it). But Imperial record-keeping is terrible and anything more than a couple of thousand years in the past should be at least as uncertain as similarly ancient events in our own (pre-)history are to us. To someone in the 41st millennium, the Horus Heresy is as distant as the invention of pottery is to you and me. Even if there are written records from the Heresy era, nobody in the 41st millenium should be able to read them. There should be contradictory stories about even the most basic 'facts' of that time, even down to (for example) different Blood Angels successor chapters having radically different accounts of who Sanguinius was and what he did during the Heresy (was he just a particularly heroic Blood Angels officer? was he the scientist who created the original Blood Angels geneseed? was he the first Blood Angel marine? was he just a psychic gestalt of the legion, or an aspect of the God-Emperor? was he killed by Horus? did he kill Horus? was he Horus' twin and the Emperor killed him accidentally thinking he was Horus? did he kill himself to give the Emperor the power to defeat Horus?).

TLDR: To quote Rick Priestley: "The trouble with the Heresy as envisaged by GW is it just feels like 40K - it doesn't have the feel of a genuinely different society that ten thousand years' separation would give you. Whenever I wrote anything that referenced back to those times I always wrote in a legendary, non-literal style. It's as if you were dealing with something like the Iliad rather than literal history ... I don't get any sense of understanding about 'deep time' when I look at anything GW have set in the 40K 'past'."


This, all of this.

The objective of the game is to win. The point of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused. 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User





 Flipsiders wrote:
A lot of other people have posted some very good ideas, but here's one that's gone undiscussed:

Retcon things so the Emperor is dead.

No comatose state. No Star-Child. No "if the Emperor dies then the entire solar system gets flushed down his magic warp toilet" nonsense. The Emperor is unequivocally a rotting corpse, and all the daily sacrifices are just to power his golden chair and let the Imperium pretend he's still kicking. If that's too much, make it so he is comatose, but is explicitly never coming back or doing anything important under any capacity. Make it so the guy can't form conscious thought at all.

Obviously, if this were done, all the stories from the Imperium perspective would still treat Big E as if he were alive. It wouldn't stop being heresy to suggest that he died. It would only add another layer of tragedy and dark humor to those discussions, since it's so obvious that the Imperium is in a state of collective religious denial.

That will of course never happen because it conflicts with the power fantasy of having a big hypermasculine shiny guy who can come down and solve all your problems for you, but what can you do, right?


That sounds a lot like the thread I started here called how I think GW will kill the Emperor. I really do think they will make it part of the Guillemon story. (The father passes off the empire to the son!) Kill the Emperor off, nothing [that] bad happens, and a vague prophecy (which is interpreted differently by chaos) that the Emperor will return in the distant future to right the wrongs of the universe. The more interesting aspects of the story would be the internal Imperial conflicts that would surface and chaos's attempts to exploit that.

Regarding the "Give Chaos the Dark Imperium." I think it's already strongly implied that this has happened in the majority of the Dark Imperium. It
s probably not necessary to say it outright though because there are still some Imperial worlds struggling to survive, and (2) More importantly, Chaos could never function as a coherent empire. Despite Abaddon's best efforts, Chaos is far too fractious. Every time they win territory they inevitably start fighting each other. So more territory for chaos doesn't really do a while lot to further their strategic ends other than give the Imperium something to strive to retake while Abaddon hatches his next master plan.

   
Made in us
Water-Caste Negotiator




Les Etats Unis

 morganfreeman wrote:
"Ork tech works / is enhanced because they think it should be."


"Orks break reality with group think" isn't explicitly cannon, it started as an in-universe theory postulated by a frustrated Tech Priest. Keeping in mind that the Mechanicus doesn't even understand old human tech / thinks its magic, it's more likely that Ork tech functions normally but they refuse to think that such "primitive xenos" could have found simple and functional solutions to problems they struggle with. And while the most recent codex leans more heavily into it, it doesn't take it beyond merely a possibility with some evidence pointing to be being fairly plausible.

I'd love if we could do away with this being an actual possibility (keep it as the "imperium view") and just boil it down to what makes sense. Stuff along the lines of:


I know this idea is a popular one, but personally, I've never been a huge fan of it. 40k has always partially been about the power of belief, whether in a social sense (the Imperium continues to exist because it pretends to be more in control than it really is) or in a literal one (the Chaos Gods). Having Ork tech work because they want it hard enough is a fun comedic bent for this theme and a positive addition to the setting. it also allows for a lot of fun modeling and unit decisions, such as weapons and vehicles that seemingly work in spite of themselves. I see no reason to get rid of the idea other than that some people are tired of the internet memes.

Dudeface wrote:
 Eldarain wrote:
Is there another game where players consistently blame each other for the failings of the creator?

If you want to get existential, life for some.
 
   
Made in au
Owns Whole Set of Skullz Techpriests






Versteckt in den Schatten deines Geistes.

The problem is that theory gets taken to the extreme illogical conclusion "Anything an Ork thinks can/will happen!".

Honestly it's fine if a Slugga works because only an Ork can make it work, but the idea that an Ork can think a planet to explode is something the game could do without.

Thankfully that, at this time at least, remains in the Flanderised realms of fanon and isn't part of 40k.

Industrial Insanity - My Terrain Blog
"GW really needs to understand 'Less is more' when it comes to AoS." - Wha-Mu-077

 
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut





 H.B.M.C. wrote:
The problem is that theory gets taken to the extreme illogical conclusion "Anything an Ork thinks can/will happen!".

Honestly it's fine if a Slugga works because only an Ork can make it work, but the idea that an Ork can think a planet to explode is something the game could do without.

Thankfully that, at this time at least, remains in the Flanderised realms of fanon and isn't part of 40k.


To be fair it isn’t that an ork can think a planet to explode and if you only had 1 ork on its own it couldn’t make a shoots work. It’s collective warp energy from all Orks in a vicinity working together unconsciously. So maybe you would need 1 million Orks to all think the same thing at the same time to make a planet explode but they don’t understand their own power so it won’t happen. But they all believe their guns work.

I’m not saying I think it’s a great idea but at the same time the ork race isn’t made up of billions of Dr Manhattans
   
Made in us
Depraved Slaanesh Chaos Lord




Inside Yvraine

Jarms48 wrote:
The majority of stories should be human focused, not super-human.
Why?

There are quadrillions of humans, and approximately 1 million space marines.

Space marines make up 1 in 1 billion regular humans, even smaller than that actually as that’s only 1 quadrillion. The odds of actually seeing a space marine is so incredibly small 99.99% of the Imperium would have believed them to be myths.
Who cares? What does that have to do with books and other media being made about them?

Having more stories based around the Regular Joe humbles the reader. Making them fully understand the insignificance of humanity in the setting and how little the Imperium as a whole cares about the individual.
This is gotten across to the reader just fine even when making stories from Marine PoV.


Scale is another issue, it detracts from the existential horror as well. When we read that squads of marines, or individual marines conquer planets it’s ridiculous. The same goes to a handful of Guard regiments with a tens of thousands of soldiers.

To put this into perspective, the Germans invaded the Soviet Union with 3 million soldiers. That’s a single country, not an entire rebel world. To reinforce this point, over the entire duration of the Battle of Stalingrad there were approximately 2 million in losses combined from both sides. That’s a single battle over a city.

Imperial Guard deployments should be in the millions minimum.
I agree. All organization sizes in the setting that have hard figures should be upped by at least a factor of 10. 10,000 marines per chapter, etc.

To be a human alive at this time should be giving the reader a sense of dread.
It does, but bumping up numbers would not enhance this. To quote Stalin since we're evoking the Soviets, 1 death is a tragedy, 1 million is a statistic. There is no difference, thematically, between "1,000 guardsmen died to take this city" and "100 billion guardsmen died to take this city". Figures without context mean nothing.

When people complain about the lack of grimdark in 40k I'm pretty sure what they're actually asking for is slice of life stuff. People love to go on about the Guard and muh saving private ryan in space and muh flashlights, but IG suffer just as much from big damned hero syndrome as marines do. How many people has Ibram Gaunt personally slaughtered at this point in that franchise? 200? 300? What about Rawne and Larkin, or Eisenhorn?

If you really want to see what the grimdarkness of the 41st millennium looks like then you'd probably want a story about some guy who's a scribe and works 19 hours a day, or a menial aboard a ship who has never seen natural sunlight before and dies at 30 from vitamin D deprivation. But be honest, would 300 pages of that really be more fun to read or watch than Ultramarine Capitan Slaughterus or Cadian sargeant Killface murder 300 tyranids in a epic last stand? Search your heart and tell me I'm wrong.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/10/12 07:00:19


 
   
Made in de
Contagious Dreadnought of Nurgle




mrFickle wrote:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
The problem is that theory gets taken to the extreme illogical conclusion "Anything an Ork thinks can/will happen!".

Honestly it's fine if a Slugga works because only an Ork can make it work, but the idea that an Ork can think a planet to explode is something the game could do without.

Thankfully that, at this time at least, remains in the Flanderised realms of fanon and isn't part of 40k.


To be fair it isn’t that an ork can think a planet to explode and if you only had 1 ork on its own it couldn’t make a shoots work. It’s collective warp energy from all Orks in a vicinity working together unconsciously. So maybe you would need 1 million Orks to all think the same thing at the same time to make a planet explode but they don’t understand their own power so it won’t happen. But they all believe their guns work.

I’m not saying I think it’s a great idea but at the same time the ork race isn’t made up of billions of Dr Manhattans


Funny thing is, I like both approaches. On the one hand it's nice to see the Imperium as being too stupid to understand Ork tech, even in M32 the Orks were already more advanced than the Imperium, the mechanicus had to steal the Orks' teleportation devices to get the upper hand. On the other hand the Waaagh energy stuff gives Orks a bit more of an Alien nature, they're not just Orks in Space, they're also mushrooms with a galaxy spanning psychic connection that makes them stronger and more intelligent when their numbers rise and yes, sometimes it makes them break physical barriers. But well, in 40K nobody cares about physics anyway, this ain't Star Trek .
   
Made in no
Huge Bone Giant





Bergen

I would add female space marines. In my eyes the setting would be better. It is an easy fix. Just either retroactivly change it in 10th edition, or have Cawl fix it in the setting. Or something different.

As for the models just include some headswaps and it is fine. Space Marines are 3 meters tall muscular killing machines who are essentially child soldiers once you look at it closer in the setting. It is a dark humored dystopia. I generally like it in the surface level. My point beeing female space marines would also bee 3 meters tall muscular killing machines. No need for new models or armour. Just include the headswap on some spruces.

I would like it just for it's own part. I geniully think it would help the setting. I also like it from two other perspectives: It would make the game more inclusive, something I am for as an ideolagy. I also think it would really upsett end perhaps drive out or change some of the worst player types this game sometimes attrackt. I do not enjoy playing them. Good riddance in my eyes.

   
Made in gb
Regular Dakkanaut




 Niiai wrote:
I would add female space marines. .




   
Made in us
Waaagh! Warbiker





 morganfreeman wrote:
"Ork tech works / is enhanced because they think it should be."


"Orks break reality with group think" isn't explicitly cannon, it started as an in-universe theory postulated by a frustrated Tech Priest. Keeping in mind that the Mechanicus doesn't even understand old human tech / thinks its magic, it's more likely that Ork tech functions normally but they refuse to think that such "primitive xenos" could have found simple and functional solutions to problems they struggle with. And while the most recent codex leans more heavily into it, it doesn't take it beyond merely a possibility with some evidence pointing to be being fairly plausible.

I'd love if we could do away with this being an actual possibility (keep it as the "imperium view") and just boil it down to what makes sense. Stuff along the lines of:

When a Mek makes a bomb with a larger than usual payload, they paint it yellow without any additional thought.

When a vehicle accidentally has an out-sized engine / chasis made out of a lighter (but equally durable) material / something else which would let it go noticeably faster, its painted red to signify this.

Blue paint is worn by orks who're tough, more resilient, and just more prone to taking cover or ducking so they don't get their head shot off.

Orks instinctively knowing how Ork tech works, despite not consciously knowing how it works, is 110% setting friendly.


I think this sorta thing should just be left up to interpretation. We have it both ways where there’s bullet tubes and then there’s just full professional meks. I like to go with the in between where meks know what they’re doin, but the gestalt bumps it up to 110%

"Us Blood Axes hav lernt' a lot from da humies. How best ta kill 'em, fer example."
— Korporal Snagbrat of the Dreadblade Kommandos 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






Sunno wrote:
 Niiai wrote:
I would add female space marines. .






Okay, I 'll add Misters of Battle.



A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

 Grimtuff wrote:
Okay, I 'll add Misters of Battle.
I can just imagine the "Oh, got 'em!" expression on your face, but shockingly, people who want female Space Marines don't really have an issue with male Sisters of Battle either.

If there were to be male SoB, though, I'd have them be legally female, within the Imperium, and, same as with Marines, be basically just a headswap.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord






 JNAProductions wrote:
 Grimtuff wrote:
Okay, I 'll add Misters of Battle.
I can just imagine the "Oh, got 'em!" expression on your face, but shockingly, people who want female Space Marines don't really have an issue with male Sisters of Battle either.

If there were to be male SoB, though, I'd have them be legally female, within the Imperium, and, same as with Marines, be basically just a headswap.


Well I don't want female marines. At all.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/12 16:46:17




A GW fan walks into a bar, buys the same drink as yesterday but pays more.

""Unite" is a human word, ... join me or die."

If you break apart my or anyone else's posts line by line I will not read them. 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

 Grimtuff wrote:
 JNAProductions wrote:
 Grimtuff wrote:
Okay, I 'll add Misters of Battle.
I can just imagine the "Oh, got 'em!" expression on your face, but shockingly, people who want female Space Marines don't really have an issue with male Sisters of Battle either.

If there were to be male SoB, though, I'd have them be legally female, within the Imperium, and, same as with Marines, be basically just a headswap.


Well I don't want female marines. At all.
You may want to examine why that is the case.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in no
Huge Bone Giant





Bergen

Sunno wrote:
 Niiai wrote:
I would add female space marines. .






Ladies and gentlemen my honest opinion is considered so controversial that it can not be considered true.

Witch is probably one of the key issues and why I want it in my game.

   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

You're not even the first one to mention it, Niiai.

Gert sorta mentioned it, on the first page, and I did too.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in ca
Hauptmann




Hogtown

No primaris fluff, just make it a scale update.
Guilliman goes back in the tank. Cawl is gone. And Astartes tanks have tracks again.

The cicatrix can stay, fine. The rest of the terrible plot progression too. Just please retcon this.

Thought for the day
 
   
Made in au
Regular Dakkanaut




Tallarook, Victoria, Australia

 Niiai wrote:

It would make the game more inclusive, something I am for as an ideolagy. I also think it would really upsett end perhaps drive out or change some of the worst player types this game sometimes attrackt. I do not enjoy playing them. Good riddance in my eyes.


I want male space marines to get pregnant and give birth to mini marines.

Why not?

On Dakkadakka you are quite clearly free to be racist and abusive if it is the right kind of abusive and racist.

If someone calls it out, just shout 'whataboutism' and 'off topic' 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

 GoldenHorde wrote:
 Niiai wrote:

It would make the game more inclusive, something I am for as an ideolagy. I also think it would really upsett end perhaps drive out or change some of the worst player types this game sometimes attrackt. I do not enjoy playing them. Good riddance in my eyes.


I want male space marines to get pregnant and give birth to mini marines.

Why not?
Because Space Marines aren't sexual, or at least really shouldn't be.

They're indoctrinated child-soldiers, given ridiculous surgeries and gene therapy to turn into 8' tall posthumans. Pregnancy is not exactly conducive to active warfare, and sex is not conducive to maintaining their focus on soldiery.

If you want to sexualize Marines... I mean, you can. But I wouldn't.

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
Made in us
Exalted Beastlord




Biggest change?

More aliens...
Give all those Xenos-haters something to do.

Efficiency is the highest virtue. 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Every Primarch is returned to life, and all of them get into the same Space Hulk so they can have their Big Dumb Cry-Fight of Ultimate Destiny, but the Space Hulk falls into a black hole and everything on board is rent into subatomic particles and sucked into sheer entropic nothingness for the remaining history of the entire universe.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 H.B.M.C. wrote:
The problem is that theory gets taken to the extreme illogical conclusion "Anything an Ork thinks can/will happen!".


No, see, the Ork gestalt causes tech to work the way they expect it to. But orks are not as ridiculous as 40k players are, and so they would never believe that they could (for instance) blow up planets with their mind. Thus it cannot happen.

Every now and then, the greatest minds of the greenskins assemble in a Filosofikk Orkaposium to debate these ideas. But before such topics can be addressed, the entire gathering invariably dissolves into hand to hand combat, fire, and explosions.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2021/10/12 21:28:42


 
   
Made in ca
Hauptmann




Hogtown

I honestly think that much of the hollow, pathetic thematic tenor at the heart of the story of the space marines and the primarchs wouldn't work as well if they weren't exclusively male.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2021/10/12 22:04:43


Thought for the day
 
   
Made in us
Insect-Infested Nurgle Chaos Lord





In My Lab

 Las wrote:
I honestly think that much of the hollow, pathetic thematic tenor at the heart of the story of the space marines and the primarchs wouldn't work as well if they weren't exclusively male.
Why do you say so?

Clocks for the clockmaker! Cogs for the cog throne! 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Background
Go to: