Switch Theme:

Alternatives to battlescribe?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





Hello,

Can anyone recommend a 40k army builder which isn't battlescribe?

Thanks
   
Made in us
Devestating Grey Knight Dreadknight





USA

Depends on if you're trying to use a mobile one or not - because as an Android user...I can't find one. I think the iOS has access to a couple if that's a route you can go.

7th Company (3000 points)
5th Brotherhood (2500 points) 
   
Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka




How about pencil, paper and calculator? Or is this about not buying a codex and making an army? You can never go wrong with the old fashion way.

Agies Grimm:The "Learn to play, bro" mentality is mostly just a way for someone to try to shame you by implying that their metaphorical nerd-wiener is bigger than yours. Which, ironically, I think nerds do even more vehemently than jocks.

Everything is made up and the points don't matter. 40K or Who's Line is it Anyway?

Auticus wrote: Or in summation: its ok to exploit shoddy points because those are rules and gamers exist to find rules loopholes (they are still "legal"), but if the same force can be composed without structure, it emotionally feels "wrong".  
   
Made in nl
Dakka Veteran





I know of hq-builder.com

 
   
Made in us
Hellish Haemonculus






Boskydell, IL

Davor wrote:
How about pencil, paper and calculator? Or is this about not buying a codex and making an army? You can never go wrong with the old fashion way.


The old fashioned way isn't as easily printable, doesn't collate your army data, takes longer, and doesn't include any kind of proofreading or rules reminders. Even for people who own all the books, army building software is more efficient.

Welcome to the Freakshow!

(Leadership-shenanigans for Eldar of all types.) 
   
Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka




That is true Jimsolo but since the original poster didn't say that, what else is there to think of?

Agies Grimm:The "Learn to play, bro" mentality is mostly just a way for someone to try to shame you by implying that their metaphorical nerd-wiener is bigger than yours. Which, ironically, I think nerds do even more vehemently than jocks.

Everything is made up and the points don't matter. 40K or Who's Line is it Anyway?

Auticus wrote: Or in summation: its ok to exploit shoddy points because those are rules and gamers exist to find rules loopholes (they are still "legal"), but if the same force can be composed without structure, it emotionally feels "wrong".  
   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

Davor wrote:
That is true Jimsolo but since the original poster didn't say that, what else is there to think of?
How bout thinking the same thing I am: I've got my codices, I purchased Battlescribe 1, but the 2.0 subscription model is not appealing to me, so I'm looking for a replacement?

To the OP, I haven't looked into it too deeply, but Army Builder has been around for ages.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2016/12/09 02:09:42


 
   
Made in se
Longtime Dakkanaut






Onlinecodex is better than battlescribe IMO since it's not as cluttered.

http://www.onlinecodex.de/forum/download.page.html
You might need to install some Java stuff in order to run the .jar file
https://www.java.com

Some of the text is in German, but it's still pretty easy to navigate even if you don't speak the language since all the unit entry's share the English names. Only the equipment has German names*, which makes it easy to discern as it's often easy to regognize, or you'll at least recognize it by the points cost costs. And might learn some German in the bargain.

There's some charming translations such as Jumppack -> Sprungmodul or Big Choppa -> Fette Spalta


* For some reason, the 30K crusade list is all in English, even the upgrades/equipment.

   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Heroic Senior Officer





Gone-to-ground in the craters of Coventry

Owners of BS 1 get a discount on BS 2 if it detects it installed on the device when you sub.
I went for it, to give it a proper chance. If it is good enough after the first year of Battlescribe 2, I'll keep it going.

The only other one I use (besides Army Builder from before the sub scheme started) is the HQ webpage:
https://hq-builder.com/

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2016/12/09 10:06:20


4000 pts - 3500 pts - 3500 pts - Harlies: 1000 pts - 1000 pts DS:70+S+G++MB+IPw40k86/f+D++A++/cWD64R+T(T)DM+
IG/AM force nearly-finished pieces: http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-38888-41159_Armies%20-%20Imperial%20Guard.html
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw (probably)
Clubs around Coventry, UK 
   
Made in gb
Stalwart Veteran Guard Sergeant





Davor wrote:
That is true Jimsolo but since the original poster didn't say that, what else is there to think of?


Thanks all for the recommendations and suggestions.




And Davor its must be hard always assuming the worst in people

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2016/12/09 11:23:55


 
   
Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka




 Carlson793 wrote:
Davor wrote:
That is true Jimsolo but since the original poster didn't say that, what else is there to think of?
How bout thinking the same thing I am: I've got my codices, I purchased Battlescribe 1, but the 2.0 subscription model is not appealing to me, so I'm looking for a replacement?

To the OP, I haven't looked into it too deeply, but Army Builder has been around for ages.


How about $5 is not that much money? After all if you have your codices which by the way I am sure you have bought when they got "updated", that you are really going to complain about $5?

Also with Army Builder, don't you have to pay for that as well?




Agies Grimm:The "Learn to play, bro" mentality is mostly just a way for someone to try to shame you by implying that their metaphorical nerd-wiener is bigger than yours. Which, ironically, I think nerds do even more vehemently than jocks.

Everything is made up and the points don't matter. 40K or Who's Line is it Anyway?

Auticus wrote: Or in summation: its ok to exploit shoddy points because those are rules and gamers exist to find rules loopholes (they are still "legal"), but if the same force can be composed without structure, it emotionally feels "wrong".  
   
Made in us
Leutnant





Louisville, KY, USA

Davor wrote:
How about $5 is not that much money? After all if you have your codices which by the way I am sure you have bought when they got "updated", that you are really going to complain about $5?

Also with Army Builder, don't you have to pay for that as well?

It's a principle thing. I'm a grognard who doesn't like having to buy a program each month/year that I've already bought. I'd rather pay more up front to have a program I like. I've not upgraded to the latest/greatest Adobe Creative Suite for the same reason.
   
Made in us
Ultramarine Master with Gauntlets of Macragge





Upstate, New York

 Carlson793 wrote:
Davor wrote:
How about $5 is not that much money? After all if you have your codices which by the way I am sure you have bought when they got "updated", that you are really going to complain about $5?

Also with Army Builder, don't you have to pay for that as well?

It's a principle thing. I'm a grognard who doesn't like having to buy a program each month/year that I've already bought. I'd rather pay more up front to have a program I like. I've not upgraded to the latest/greatest Adobe Creative Suite for the same reason.


I agree with this principle. I treat ongoing subscriptions/payments completely different the one-off purchases.

Once some of the teething problems of the new version are worked out, I’ll still probably pony up for Battlescribe. It is really a token amount, and I enjoy the program. Not without flaws, but a lot better then P&P.

Ultramarines, 3rd Co. and friends, 12.5K+ Slowly growing 2Kish
Nevelon's Workbench: Ultramarines, Saim-Hann and other assorted oddities
 
   
Made in gb
Boosting Space Marine Biker




midlands UK

Pen and paper or...

http://cmdctr.net/roster/

Blood Ravens, 1700pts

Empire 40 wounds

Astra Militarum 2250pts

Khorne 750pts

Space Wolves 1550pts

Orks 500pts

 
   
Made in ca
Fixture of Dakka




It's a principle thing yet keeps buying GW products. Hmmmm.

Agies Grimm:The "Learn to play, bro" mentality is mostly just a way for someone to try to shame you by implying that their metaphorical nerd-wiener is bigger than yours. Which, ironically, I think nerds do even more vehemently than jocks.

Everything is made up and the points don't matter. 40K or Who's Line is it Anyway?

Auticus wrote: Or in summation: its ok to exploit shoddy points because those are rules and gamers exist to find rules loopholes (they are still "legal"), but if the same force can be composed without structure, it emotionally feels "wrong".  
   
Made in us
Gun Mage




I used to use excel for it when I played, that way I could set up formulas to keep my points remaining up to date.
   
Made in us
Slippery Ultramarine Scout Biker




Memphis, TN

Davor wrote:
 Carlson793 wrote:
Davor wrote:
That is true Jimsolo but since the original poster didn't say that, what else is there to think of?
How bout thinking the same thing I am: I've got my codices, I purchased Battlescribe 1, but the 2.0 subscription model is not appealing to me, so I'm looking for a replacement?

To the OP, I haven't looked into it too deeply, but Army Builder has been around for ages.


How about $5 is not that much money? After all if you have your codices which by the way I am sure you have bought when they got "updated", that you are really going to complain about $5?

Also with Army Builder, don't you have to pay for that as well?





I purchased Battlescribe one and was able to port that over to 2.0 on desktop. It is not abundantly clear, but it is possible.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




terry wrote:
I know of hq-builder.com


This seems like a pretty handy tool that isn't as prone to running out of memory or sitting with the IsBusy spinner running for ages. Gotta watch them on point values though.
   
Made in nl
[MOD]
Jolly bringer of death and suspensions






Cozy cockpit of an Imperial Knight

Locked due to severe thread necromancy.


Be ash and cinder forevermore!

V - 11 | T - 3 | 敗 - 40

DakkaDakka | Where you thank the mods for baning you! 
   
 
Forum Index » Dakka Discussions
Go to: