Switch Theme:

[2000] - Space Marines - Medusa Armored Division  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in nz
Regular Dakkanaut




Focus of the army is to build a viable "tank" army lead by Vaylund Cal

Also keen to try and take advantage of the Stratagem Killshot

Killshot (1 CP)- Use in the shooting phase if a you have a Predator within 6" of 2 other same ChapterPredators. Add 1 to the wound and damage for all of its attacks against Monsters and Vehicles

Chapter Tactic: Iron Hands until such a time as FW release something for The Sons of Medusa, however if my opponent has an issue they will run without (no drama its about having fun)

List so far:

HQ
Vaylund Cal (Sons of Medusa) - 167

Elite
Relic Sicaran Battle Tank (extra weapons: Two Lascannons, Storm Bolter) - 292
Relic Sicaran Battle Tank (extra weapons: Two Lascannons, Storm Bolter) - 292
Aggressors (3) - 129
Aggressors (3) - 129

Heavy
Predator (Autocannon, Two Lascannons, Strom Bolter) - 203
Predator (Autocannon, Two Lascannons, Strom Bolter) - 203
Predator (Autocannon, Two Lascannons, Strom Bolter) - 203

Total: 1,618

The general idea is to anchor the middle with the Predator tanks and Vaylund Cal. He provides re-rolls to hit within 6", can repair vehicles and its pretty good in a fight, therefore, i figure he is well positioned to support the Preds. The Sicaran Battle Tanks are fast moving and don't suffer penalties to move and shoot their main weapon so would be used on the Flanks. They also have a bonus to shoot Flyers which helps as everyone man and is dog are running them right now. This leaves a big hole and that is the infantry component to both secure objectives and help block charges on the tanks....

The list above effectively leaves 382 points (640 if you swap out the Aggressors) to fill out the rest of the army. What I need some help with is how best to use those points to not only help make the army a little more competitive but also get a few Command Points.. Also I am not 100% sold on the Aggressors although I do have a couple of boxes on order so they are an easy option.

Anyway, appreciate any advice!







This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 2017/07/26 03:41:09


 
   
Made in gb
Boosting Space Marine Biker




Bad news bears, everyone forgets FW characters don't have wargear costs built in, Cal goes up to 200 ish (still worth though imho)

If you want to just gunline the aggressors make ironically good defensive counter chargers but i can see a very good argument for dropping them in favour of some tacs in razorbacks so you can more easily capture objectives though if you to keep it cheap then scouts don't NEED a transport as badly since they can deploy further up and if you fancy it you still can grab LSS with heavy flamers for them, i'd also grab a techmarine, cal is excellent as an anchor but he can only repair so much.

   
Made in nz
Regular Dakkanaut




GAdvance wrote:
Bad news bears, everyone forgets FW characters don't have wargear costs built in, Cal goes up to 200 ish (still worth though imho)

If you want to just gunline the aggressors make ironically good defensive counter chargers but i can see a very good argument for dropping them in favour of some tacs in razorbacks so you can more easily capture objectives though if you to keep it cheap then scouts don't NEED a transport as badly since they can deploy further up and if you fancy it you still can grab LSS with heavy flamers for them, i'd also grab a techmarine, cal is excellent as an anchor but he can only repair so much.



Good point! I will have to check the weapons points haha. As you say though does not change the army direction still running with him as the Warlord.

Not sure about the LSS, however would fit the army as the recon unit for the tanks!

I was thinking of trying to keep it with Primaris infantry if possible as they are the infantry models I have that are not painted. However, Aggressors are roughly 130 points per unit I gather (bolters or flamefists?) So I could look to squeeze in 3 units and then run some scouts as you suggested.


HQ
Vaylund Cal (Sons of Medusa) - 200 approx.

Troops
Scouts (Combat Knives and Camo Cloaks) - 70
Scouts (Combat Knives and Camo Cloaks) - 70
Scouts (Combat Knives and Camo Cloaks) - 70

Elite
Relic Sicaran Battle Tank (extra weapons: Two Lascannons, Storm Bolter) - 292
Relic Sicaran Battle Tank (extra weapons: Two Lascannons, Storm Bolter) - 292
Aggressors (3) - 129
Aggressors (3) - 129
Aggressors (3) - 129

Heavy
Predator (Autocannon, Two Lascannons, Strom Bolter) - 203
Predator (Autocannon, Two Lascannons, Strom Bolter) - 203
Predator (Autocannon, Two Lascannons, Strom Bolter) - 203

Total: 1,990

However not sure how this works out in terms of getting Command Points, don't have the book with me right now

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 2017/07/26 04:42:48


 
   
Made in us
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard




If you can fit in two or three more HQs (Techpriests, for example,) you could get several more Command Points. You at least want one more, though, to get a Battalion.
   
Made in nz
Regular Dakkanaut




Waaaghpower wrote:
If you can fit in two or three more HQs (Techpriests, for example,) you could get several more Command Points. You at least want one more, though, to get a Battalion.


Not sure how valuable a second techmarine would be? A librarian might be better?
   
Made in gb
Boosting Space Marine Biker




Yep you'll need another HQ choice to get a battalion, which is +3cp and then it's very possible to get a third for a spearhead and another +1 cp.

Honestly i think you're overestimating how quickly you're gameplan could fall apart with the list right now, if you lose a predator that killshot stratagem is toast so a second repair man would aid you greatly.

Not sure what the point of a librarian would be, they mostly have buffs to assist melee units or dish out mortal wounds with a dash of psychic protection.

Make no mistake the list is decent, but if somebody has brought enough firepower to kill a predator turn one (assume they go first, you have 12 drops right now) then you're gimmick is gone and you're relying on 4 lascannon and some fancy autocannons to stop that land raider etc etc barreling at you and killing cal and others
   
Made in ca
Bounding Assault Marine






camo cloaks & combat knives seems like a strange combo to me. bolters would suit them better imo.
   
Made in gb
Boosting Space Marine Biker




 benlac wrote:
camo cloaks & combat knives seems like a strange combo to me. bolters would suit them better imo.


Agreed, plus unless you specifically need snipers they're a trap choice too since for less tacticals in cover will have the same save
   
Made in nz
Regular Dakkanaut




GAdvance wrote:
Yep you'll need another HQ choice to get a battalion, which is +3cp and then it's very possible to get a third for a spearhead and another +1 cp.

Honestly i think you're overestimating how quickly you're gameplan could fall apart with the list right now, if you lose a predator that killshot stratagem is toast so a second repair man would aid you greatly.

Not sure what the point of a librarian would be, they mostly have buffs to assist melee units or dish out mortal wounds with a dash of psychic protection.

Make no mistake the list is decent, but if somebody has brought enough firepower to kill a predator turn one (assume they go first, you have 12 drops right now) then you're gimmick is gone and you're relying on 4 lascannon and some fancy autocannons to stop that land raider etc etc barreling at you and killing cal and others


I think I am coming to that conclusion also as the only practical way to keep all three Predators alive long enough to use the Stratagem would be to run DA with Azrael for the 4+ Invulnerable Save. However, DA cannot use the stratagem so that's not an option I guess. Also I have never found more than one Techmarine very helpful as most players tend to focus fire until a vehicle is destroyed and each vehicle can only be repaired once per turn.

The list has more than enough firepower to deal with a Land Raider each predator has 2 Lascannons (6) and the Sicaran's have another 4 between them (10). Those Fancy Autocannons have proven very effective against Primaris Marines, Terminators and Flyers so I want to keep them around.






Automatically Appended Next Post:
Latest Build

HQ
Vaylund Cal (Sons of Medusa) - 200 approx.
Second HQ??

Troops
Intercessor Squad- 100
Intercessor Squad- 100
Intercessor Squad- 100

Elite
Aggressors /w Flame Fists (4) - 174

Dedicated Transport
Primaris Reuplser - 350 (approx)

Super Heavy
Fellblade - 743

Vaylund Cal supports the Fellblade, Aggressors ride in the transport along with the second HQ. Intercessor squads help block Deep Strike units and act as objective grabbers.

Thoughts?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/07/27 03:16:17


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Army Lists
Go to: