Switch Theme:

Primaris Marines and Scouts  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Yokosuka, Japan

So since whole chapters of Primaris are being created, do they still fundamentally use scouts as their initiatives? I didn't see any mention of scouts during the Dark Imperium novel, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Do Primaris marines start out as full primaris when they "come out of the can" as it were, or do they still go through a scout phase as they adapt to their geneseed?
   
Made in au
Stern Iron Priest with Thrall Bodyguard





They start out in power armour - Blood Claw style.

I don't break the rules but I'll bend them as far as they'll go. 
   
Made in gb
Stalwart Space Marine





But then there's the question of Reivers. Are they 'scouts' or just a different flavour of Marine?

Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war! 
   
Made in gb
Krazed Killa Kan





Primaris Marines are super special lab grown. I would assume that any "new" ones created after the fact might go though the whole scout thing, we don't know yet.

Knowing how Gulliman hates how the Codex literally ruined the Imperium and how Cawl is super snobby, I would think they don't anymore.

   
Made in us
Ollanius Pius - Savior of the Emperor






Right behind you.

 anyname121 wrote:
But then there's the question of Reivers. Are they 'scouts' or just a different flavour of Marine?

They're a different flavor of Marine.

Effectively Reivers are a mixture of Wolf Scouts and Assault/Vanguard Squads. They want to get in close for their aura to modify enemy casualty effects and their weapons are short ranged.
Aggressors are a bizarre mixture of Terminators, Centurions, and Devastators. They can hold a spot but they're basically made to deal with infantry.
Inceptors and are filling a role like the Sternguard and Bikers. They move, they shoot, and boop.
Hellblasters are basically a Sternguard Combi-Plasma Squad without the Boltguns.
   
Made in us
Whiteshield Conscript Trooper




Columbus, Ohio

My hope (and head Canon) is that Primaris Marines are the last step in a Space Marines career path. Scout - Devastator - assault - tactical - veteran - terminator - Primaris.

Astra Militarum:
1st Kasian "Godkillers" 3000 pts

Chaos Undivided:
Intorqueo Nex 1500 
   
Made in gb
Slippery Ultramarine Scout Biker




That would be logical - something along the lines once a marines progenoid glands are mature he can be upgraded to primaries?
   
Made in au
Guard Heavy Weapon Crewman



Australia

nocliper101 wrote:
My hope (and head Canon) is that Primaris Marines are the last step in a Space Marines career path. Scout - Devastator - assault - tactical - veteran - terminator - Primaris.


Sadly that isn't the case. The Newly formed Primaris marine chapters still recruit from worlds, which means they train Initiates to become Scouts. Then the scouts get the full body treatment and become a Primaris Marine instead of a Marine.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/10/06 00:59:37


30k:
3500+ - Solar Auxilia
40k:
Vostroyans: Points Unknown.
Standard and Primaris Carcharodons: Points Unknown. 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Yokosuka, Japan

nocliper101 wrote:
My hope (and head Canon) is that Primaris Marines are the last step in a Space Marines career path. Scout - Devastator - assault - tactical - veteran - terminator - Primaris.


"Well done Brother Gustaf. You have at last completed all your training. You've learned the art of stealth and ambush, the value of heavy firepower, the bloody glory of close assault, the strategic value of mediocrity, the advantage of actually using the weapons in the armory, and the strength of our greatest armor.

Now here, put on this new suit of Cawl brand armor, wield your Cawl brand bolter and get back out there to secure objectives. No, I'm sorry you can't take your plasma rifle with you. No, you can't keep the terminator armor. NO, you can't take that melta bomb, put it back. PUT IT BACK Brother Gustaf!

And if I see you stealthing in with the scouts, you'll be getting a severe talking to. And don't even THINK about riding in a Rhino! Intercessors walk or ride in Repulsors.

No damn it, stay out of the storm raven. I don't care if it can carry a dreadnought, you're not allowed inside."
   
Made in ca
Hardened Veteran Guardsman




To be a Primaris marine, you need to be a marine, first of all.
So the obvious (and correct) answer is that Primaris marines still start off as scouts and progress normally, adding the three primaris enhancements around the final stages of transformation. Primaris marines don't just skip being scouts unless maybe they were the ones grown in vats.

Oh, and reivers are not scout equivalents. I don't really understand how people can think reivers are anything close to scouts. In very simple terms ,scouts are noobs and reivers are experts


Automatically Appended Next Post:
nocliper101 wrote:
My hope (and head Canon) is that Primaris Marines are the last step in a Space Marines career path. Scout - Devastator - assault - tactical - veteran - terminator - Primaris.


Primaris isn't a rank. Primaris are just the evolutionary descendants of 41st millennium space marines.

In my mind primaris marines have all the regular roles of classics, like Tacticals and terminators, with the added unit types like you see on the tabletop

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/10/22 18:45:09


123ply: Dataslate- 4/4/3/3/1/3/1/8/6+
Autopistol, Steel Extendo, Puma Hoodie
USRs: "Preferred Enemy: Xenos"
"Hatred: Xenos"
"Racist and Proud of it" - Gains fleshbane, rending, rage, counter-attack, and X2 strength and toughness when locked in combat with units not in the "Imperium of Man" faction.

Collection:
AM/IG - 122nd Terrax Guard: 2094/3000pts
Skitarii/Cult Mech: 1380/2000pts
Khorne Daemonkin - Host of the Nervous Knife: 1701/2000pts
Orks - Rampage Axez: 1753/2000pts 
   
Made in gb
Flashy Flashgitz





Dorset, England

Well the Primaris still have all the same organs as a Space Marine, with three extra that make them into Primaris.

Cawl has demonstrated that you can vat grow them like the Emperor did. However, Primaris tech has also been disseminated to the individual chapters.
I can't believe that the chapters would completely change the process of preparation, training, contemplation, induction into chapter rites etc. that the 'scouting' process represents unless under the most extreme of pressures.

I expect that scouts still exist for the major chapters with the extra Primaris organs being implanted at the end of this process.

   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Yokosuka, Japan

 Kroem wrote:
Well the Primaris still have all the same organs as a Space Marine, with three extra that make them into Primaris.

Cawl has demonstrated that you can vat grow them like the Emperor did. However, Primaris tech has also been disseminated to the individual chapters.
I can't believe that the chapters would completely change the process of preparation, training, contemplation, induction into chapter rites etc. that the 'scouting' process represents unless under the most extreme of pressures.

I expect that scouts still exist for the major chapters with the extra Primaris organs being implanted at the end of this process.



But would they be normal space marine scouts, or some sort of new Primaris scout?
   
Made in gb
Flashy Flashgitz





Dorset, England

Well they are normal scouts for the time that they are undergoing implantation of the original 19 Space marine organs, this happens over the course of a long time accompanied by intensive training.

Once one or more of the three new Priamris organs are implanted (see recent White Dwarf article) they effectively become a sort of 'Primaris scout'.
I've assumed that the implantation of Primaris organs would come at the end of the process.
The article talks about the new organs interacting with or enhancing the existing space marine organs, so you would imagine the scouts body would have to be used to the normal function of these organs first before they were turned up to 11!
   
Made in us
Grey Knight Purgator firing around corners





 BaconCatBug wrote:
Primaris Marines are super special lab grown. I would assume that any "new" ones created after the fact might go though the whole scout thing, we don't know yet.

Knowing how Gulliman hates how the Codex literally ruined the Imperium and how Cawl is super snobby, I would think they don't anymore.
This is what I’m thinking of at the moment. We don’t have enough information about this subject.
   
Made in gb
[SWAP SHOP MOD]
Killer Klaivex







 argonak wrote:
 Kroem wrote:
Well the Primaris still have all the same organs as a Space Marine, with three extra that make them into Primaris.

Cawl has demonstrated that you can vat grow them like the Emperor did. However, Primaris tech has also been disseminated to the individual chapters.
I can't believe that the chapters would completely change the process of preparation, training, contemplation, induction into chapter rites etc. that the 'scouting' process represents unless under the most extreme of pressures.

I expect that scouts still exist for the major chapters with the extra Primaris organs being implanted at the end of this process.



But would they be normal space marine scouts, or some sort of new Primaris scout?


It depends on what stage you implant the new organs at. If it's subsequent to the previous set, then the initiation for a Scout would be the same. If anything, a Scout's training period would be extended to compensate for the additional period of adaptation time.

Alternatively, you might find that the new modifications to make them grow larger are implemented midway in the previous process, in which case you'd have 'Primaris Scouts' which are bigger and better.

What it really comes down to is whether or not GW want to invalidate their older Scout kit. So I'm going to go with the former.


 
   
Made in us
Dakka Veteran





Yokosuka, Japan

 Ketara wrote:
 argonak wrote:
 Kroem wrote:
Well the Primaris still have all the same organs as a Space Marine, with three extra that make them into Primaris.

Cawl has demonstrated that you can vat grow them like the Emperor did. However, Primaris tech has also been disseminated to the individual chapters.
I can't believe that the chapters would completely change the process of preparation, training, contemplation, induction into chapter rites etc. that the 'scouting' process represents unless under the most extreme of pressures.

I expect that scouts still exist for the major chapters with the extra Primaris organs being implanted at the end of this process.



But would they be normal space marine scouts, or some sort of new Primaris scout?


It depends on what stage you implant the new organs at. If it's subsequent to the previous set, then the initiation for a Scout would be the same. If anything, a Scout's training period would be extended to compensate for the additional period of adaptation time.

Alternatively, you might find that the new modifications to make them grow larger are implemented midway in the previous process, in which case you'd have 'Primaris Scouts' which are bigger and better.

What it really comes down to is whether or not GW want to invalidate their older Scout kit. So I'm going to go with the former.


And that's really what I'm getting at, does it make sense that a Primaris chapter would have a bunch of scouts deploying with it?
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





 argonak wrote:
And that's really what I'm getting at, does it make sense that a Primaris chapter would have a bunch of scouts deploying with it?


At this point it's unknown how they organise their First or Tenth companies, and we can only really guess at the rest.
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





Animus wrote:
 argonak wrote:
And that's really what I'm getting at, does it make sense that a Primaris chapter would have a bunch of scouts deploying with it?


At this point it's unknown how they organise their First or Tenth companies, and we can only really guess at the rest.


I'd not be too suprised to see a "primaris phase 2" in 2018 rolled out with space wolves and death watch

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in fi
Ancient Venerable Dreadnought






I was really disappointed how there was basically nothing about the organisation of the Primaris only chapters in the codex.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. 
   
Made in gb
Guard Heavy Weapon Crewman




Question.

Just looking at getting back into the game so I'm unsure of the recent fluff.

How do the existing Marines feel about the Primus marines. Surely a batch of vat grown warriors is heresy?

Also won't they be a bunch of newbies with all the toys but no combat experience?

 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 Crimson wrote:
I was really disappointed how there was basically nothing about the organisation of the Primaris only chapters in the codex.


Me too, I'm hoping we'll see this addressed in the future. as it is though it almost feels like GW ius moving away from "THIS is how X is orginized"

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in fi
Ancient Venerable Dreadnought






DaHedd wrote:
Question.

Just looking at getting back into the game so I'm unsure of the recent fluff.

How do the existing Marines feel about the Primus marines. Surely a batch of vat grown warriors is heresy?

Also won't they be a bunch of newbies with all the toys but no combat experience?

They have never been vat grown, they're made just like old marines.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. 
   
Made in gb
Wondering Why the Emperor Left





I would think that they'd be scouts then become primaris, or the normal progression through "space marine hood" depending on the needs and views of the chapter.

100 points approx. of deathwatch
150 points of alpha legion and thousand sons
50 points admech
60 points salamanders

I am Red/Black


I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

 
   
Made in fi
Ancient Venerable Dreadnought






I really wish there was an option the codex to upgrade the scout sergeant to have Primaris stats.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. 
   
Made in us
Plaguelord Titan Princeps of Nurgle






I wish they'd give us more fluff on how Primaris are integrating into regular chapters, how they are made beyond the initial batch, and (importantly) if a regular marine can be upgraded to Primaris.

Looking for a balanced Age of Sigmar? Tired of your favorite unit gathering dust because it's bad in Matched Play? Want a discount for not bringing the best possible weapon option? Try Project Points Cost!

PPC points are easily swapped out with those of Matched Play and include all models, unit upgrades, battalions, and terrain warscrolls!

Check it out at: http://ageofwargamers.blogspot.com/ 
   
Made in ca
Librarian with Freaky Familiar





 NinthMusketeer wrote:
I wish they'd give us more fluff on how Primaris are integrating into regular chapters, how they are made beyond the initial batch, and (importantly) if a regular marine can be upgraded to Primaris.


they did tell us how they made the inital batch. they did NOT grow them in a tube. those tubes we saw in the inital videos where statis tubes.

Ultimately the power of an Inquisitor extends as far as he can make it extend 
   
Made in us
Long-Range Land Speeder Pilot




AZ

 Crimson wrote:
I was really disappointed how there was basically nothing about the organisation of the Primaris only chapters in the codex.


Just wait for the Primaris Codex



 
   
Made in us
Courageous Space Marine Captain






Mmmmmmmm Ya know there could be primarus wolf scouts since they go backwards.


 Unit1126PLL wrote:
 Scott-S6 wrote:
And yet another thread is hijacked for Unit to ask for the same advice, receive the same answers and make the same excuses.

Oh my god I'm becoming martel.
Send help!

 
   
Made in gb
Bloodthirsty Vampire Thrall





UK

usmcmidn wrote:
 Crimson wrote:
I was really disappointed how there was basically nothing about the organisation of the Primaris only chapters in the codex.


Just wait for the Primaris Codex


Yep its pretty much a given at this point.

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in gb
Battleship Captain




Primaris are grown as "all-up" marines. In Dark Imperium it's made clear that they are grown then equipped as full marines.

They are trained heavily, but arent ever deployed as scouts initially. They don't get fielded until they're "fully qualified"

(any more than grey knights are).

Dark imperium does make clear that they suffered more casualties due to a lack of actual battlefield experience, star wars clone trooper fashion.

I don't know if reivers are veterans or trained from day one as infiltration specialists.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/11/11 13:57:38


Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685
 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Background
Go to: