Switch Theme:

Chaos Terminator loadout  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in us
Sword-Wielding Bloodletter of Khorne





Warp Storm over Illinois

So, terminators. I like them and they are better this edition. My question is how are people kiting them out? Is there a preferred default loadout? I'm thinking about adding some to my World Eaters and was thinking combi plasma with power axes and a Lord nearby to over charge. Just wondering on what others kit their squads with.

Chaos Space Marines: 4000+ Points World Eater
Necrons: 8000+ Points Cyborg Slayers
 
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka




Depends what you want. Termicide is no longer a thing. Power Axes are still the best Power Weapon on them of course.
All Combi-Plasma is pretty popular right now, but you can't go wrong with the Autocannon now, as it now has 4 shots.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in jp
Slaanesh Havoc with Blastmaster




Chainfists got a drop in points to 14 points per. Not sure if they are worth it yet as I dont know how important it is to have a 3-4 hundred point unit capable of deleting tanks by punching them to death but it seems like it would be pretty cool.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
And totally khornate

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/09 05:30:10


Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. -Kurt Vonnegut 
   
Made in us
Sword-Wielding Bloodletter of Khorne





Warp Storm over Illinois

macluvin wrote:
Chainfists got a drop in points to 14 points per. Not sure if they are worth it yet as I dont know how important it is to have a 3-4 hundred point unit capable of deleting tanks by punching them to death but it seems like it would be pretty cool.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
And totally khornate


I totally agree. To both statements in fact. The issue is they are already SUPER pricey for their load out and my army in particular doesn't have much trouble dealing with vehicles with two Rapier Batteries with Laser Destroyers .

Chaos Space Marines: 4000+ Points World Eater
Necrons: 8000+ Points Cyborg Slayers
 
   
Made in jp
Slaanesh Havoc with Blastmaster




Seems to me that mayhaps anything you want to do with termies, you can do with something else better. It really doesnt help that we didnt get the same price drop loyalist termis got. Then they would arguably make a better deepstrike assault force than warp talons, deepstrike flankers than oblits, dakka platform than havocs or rapiers, and berzerkers are always going to be better at chopping chaff than termis anyways. They are just at an awkward spot where the only thing they do particularly well is eat lasgun and bolter shots, and can be used as an anchor to give your opponent something to worry about while you bring the rest of your forces to their front lines.

Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. -Kurt Vonnegut 
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




I gave Termies a solid shot this weekend. The end result may be skewed given my opponent, but let's say that I wasn't impressed.

I played 750 pts both days, once against a Harlequin force, and another time against Alaitoc Eldar force. I had a 5 man Termie squad with all combi-plas / power axes, save for the sergeant who had combi-melta and chainfist. I also had a Chaos lord with Jump Pack deep strike in behind them for the re-roll bonus. Both opponents had a fair amount of -1 to hit. I was able to exploit the Eldar trait though since I was within 12 inches (deepstrike at 9"). Against the Harlequin forces, their transports have -1 to hit against all shooting attacks, regardless of range, and also 3++ invulns I believe. Against the Harlequin forces, it was a sad display. I want to say there was another effect (warlord trait maybe) that hit me with -1 to hit, so there was -2 to hit in the end. They whiffed all/most of their shots and any that got through were saved by invulns. They then failed their charge - not looking good for them at this point. The following turn the solitaire charged in and cleaned them up with ease.

The Eldar was a bit different. I used deepstrike to get them in range of their WaveSerpent and managed to avoid any -1 to hit penalties. The melta fired off and hit the serpent, but the damage roll was poor and the serpent shield mitigated down to just 1 dmg - lame. The combi-plas termies fired at a nearby unit of WraithGuard (3 wounds each) in rapid fire range. They managed to take one out and wounded another. The charge phase came and I failed the initial, and the charge re-roll. Not what I was hoping for. The next 2 turns were spent duking it out against the Wraithguard and wave serpent . The terminators eventually got wiped out but I did get a good hit and wound roll with the chain-fist on the wave serpent. The serpent shield did it's job again though and mitigated the damage just enough to where it survived. After the terminators were wiped out, my opponent used some Eldar psyker ability to restore a couple of wounds on the serpent bringing it back to full tier again.

I'm not saying terminators are bad. Maybe they just got the gak end of the stick between the -1's and bad charge rolls, but I can say that I was hoping for more from them. They are expensive no doubt, especially when they're full outfitted. On paper, combi-plas terminators look good, but when you factor in armies that have -1 hit modifiers and the like, paper numbers don't compare. I'm not giving up on them yet though because I really like the models and having the ability to deep strike. I'm going to experiment with kit options as we increase our roster sizes as well.
   
Made in it
Fresh-Faced New User




Point Wise they are not so efficient:
you use 268 points to field 10 wounds and 8 plasma shot at short range

Obliterators can dish 12 plasma (at least, maybe stronger hits since they have randomic weapon ) and they have 9 wounds.
The obly are pretty useless in combat but you have 75 points more to spend.

I think that terminators are overcosted in comparison to similar units that have dedicated role:
if you want shooting DS unit, you have Obliterators
If you want a melee DS unit you have Warp Talon: you can field more o less two units with same points.
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




I take 10 of them, equip them with the combi plasma and whatever melee weapon works (swords or axes generally), give them slaanesh mark, and deepstrike them alongside my warlord and a psyker. The warlord is iron hands with the unique warlord trait, because you don't want to lose any of them to morale. The psyker casts delightful agony and prescience on them, the terminators get two rounds of shooting with the endless cacophony stratagem. You can also sub in warptime for delightful agony to try and get a charge in or get closer for rapid fire fun, just keep them arranged such that one is close enough to your warlord for the aura to take effect, talisman of burning blood can be useful if you want to make sure the lord gets into combat as well.

It's not amazing compared to some sources of plasma in other armies, but it's fairly point efficient for our codex and let's you stack buffs on the one unit.



   
Made in us
Troubled By Non-Compliant Worlds





Fayetnam, NC

As SilverAlien just said, to get the most bang for your buck, you're gonna wanna go combi-plasma and a melee weapon, and definitely run a lord and sorcerer with them. Mark of Slaanesh helps you double down on your shooting, which is very helpful.

The sorcerer and lord are there as MAJOR buffs. Prescience and Warp time are big bonuses. Give them the Icon of Slaanesh, cast warptime, and profit.

Saying you run a unit of 10, you're gonna be getting 20 plasma shots (40 if you use endless cacophony) hitting on 2's (prescience), rerolling ones (lord). Now you charge them in. 20 attacks still hitting on 2's, wounding on 2's or 3's probably (VotLW), and getting an extra attack for every roll of a 4+ (Prescience gives you +1 to hit, Icon of Slaanesh causes you to Death to the Emperor on a 5+).

That's a pretty gnarly unit. a lot of points, but that's gonna hit like a ton of bricks. Of note, make sure you shoot at the beefy stuff behind a screen so that you don't kill everything within charge range and get caught out in the open.

Night Lord XIII Company: 6,600 Points, 11W-4L
Skaven Cheese-stealer Renegade Cult: 2,000 points, 0-0
Warboss Spine Squisha's Ork Warband: 3,000 Points, 1W-1L
Carcharadons Astra: 2000 Points, 0-0 
   
Made in us
Khorne Veteran Marine with Chain-Axe






My default load out is lightning claws and plain Combi bolters. With one guy that has a heavy flamer. Although with the improvements on the reaper autocannon I'm likely to use that more often now.

6,000  
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




plasma termies or none at all.

I play Black Legion so I drop them in w a sorc. do vets of the LW, let the galaxy burn, and endless cacophony on them.

They kill quite literally anything they decide to shoot at. My last game I lucked out and pulled off Death Hex on Magnus. My 9 man unit killed magnus, and a hellblade in 1 turn.

Even w/o Death Hex you have ~50% chance to kill Magnus in 1 turn with 10 plas termies, not including CC.
   
Made in us
Perfected Haemonculi Living Sculpture






eternalxfl wrote:
I gave Termies a solid shot this weekend. The end result may be skewed given my opponent, but let's say that I wasn't impressed.

I played 750 pts both days, once against a Harlequin force, and another time against Alaitoc Eldar force. I had a 5 man Termie squad with all combi-plas / power axes, save for the sergeant who had combi-melta and chainfist. I also had a Chaos lord with Jump Pack deep strike in behind them for the re-roll bonus. Both opponents had a fair amount of -1 to hit. I was able to exploit the Eldar trait though since I was within 12 inches (deepstrike at 9"). Against the Harlequin forces, their transports have -1 to hit against all shooting attacks, regardless of range, and also 3++ invulns I believe. Against the Harlequin forces, it was a sad display. I want to say there was another effect (warlord trait maybe) that hit me with -1 to hit, so there was -2 to hit in the end. They whiffed all/most of their shots and any that got through were saved by invulns. They then failed their charge - not looking good for them at this point. The following turn the solitaire charged in and cleaned them up with ease.

The Eldar was a bit different. I used deepstrike to get them in range of their WaveSerpent and managed to avoid any -1 to hit penalties. The melta fired off and hit the serpent, but the damage roll was poor and the serpent shield mitigated down to just 1 dmg - lame. The combi-plas termies fired at a nearby unit of WraithGuard (3 wounds each) in rapid fire range. They managed to take one out and wounded another. The charge phase came and I failed the initial, and the charge re-roll. Not what I was hoping for. The next 2 turns were spent duking it out against the Wraithguard and wave serpent . The terminators eventually got wiped out but I did get a good hit and wound roll with the chain-fist on the wave serpent. The serpent shield did it's job again though and mitigated the damage just enough to where it survived. After the terminators were wiped out, my opponent used some Eldar psyker ability to restore a couple of wounds on the serpent bringing it back to full tier again.



At 750 they are way to expensive especially with your loadout. It also doesn't help that you played armies that don't generally care about plasma. VoTLW on combi bolters would probably do more vs those armies, but still not ideal.
I'm not saying terminators are bad. Maybe they just got the gak end of the stick between the -1's and bad charge rolls, but I can say that I was hoping for more from them. They are expensive no doubt, especially when they're full outfitted. On paper, combi-plas terminators look good, but when you factor in armies that have -1 hit modifiers and the like, paper numbers don't compare. I'm not giving up on them yet though because I really like the models and having the ability to deep strike. I'm going to experiment with kit options as we increase our roster sizes as well.


Automatically Appended Next Post:
SilverAlien wrote:
I take 10 of them, equip them with the combi plasma and whatever melee weapon works (swords or axes generally), give them slaanesh mark, and deepstrike them alongside my warlord and a psyker. The warlord is iron hands with the unique warlord trait, because you don't want to lose any of them to morale. The psyker casts delightful agony and prescience on them, the terminators get two rounds of shooting with the endless cacophony stratagem. You can also sub in warptime for delightful agony to try and get a charge in or get closer for rapid fire fun, just keep them arranged such that one is close enough to your warlord for the aura to take effect, talisman of burning blood can be useful if you want to make sure the lord gets into combat as well.

It's not amazing compared to some sources of plasma in other armies, but it's fairly point efficient for our codex and let's you stack buffs on the one unit.





This is what I have done as well, but its still way to expensive and squishy for its cost. It also still struggles to chaf screening out your ideal drop sites and pushing you back. Oblits are always going to be better since they have a 24" threat range rather then an ideal 12" I'd rather run a squad of oblits and a squad of warp talons then one squad of terminators.

It's still fun and viable, just not ideal and subject to hard counters.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/12/15 20:45:24


   
Made in us
Mutated Chosen Chaos Marine





Eye of Terror

I really like Plasma Terminators, but Obliterators seem to have all the same advantages but are more shooty and less expensive.

They are the unit I take in a Battalion when I already have 3 Heavy Support options. Trying to find a better use for them than just deepstrike and fire.

   
Made in us
Plaguelord Titan Princeps of Nurgle






Jacksonville, NC

Get Blightlords.... they're better

Nurgle/CSM aficionado - Check out my P&M Blog! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/745328.page 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: