Switch Theme:

Lord of Contagion power is OVER 9 THOUSAND?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ru
Fresh-Faced New User





Good news everyone! Today i opened Death Guard Codex and finally start to count.
And I'm really don't know, why does Lord of Contagion exist at all?
When i looked at starter box art here was a DEATH GUARD LORD. The model was overwhelming good, but rules was bad. Just bad.
But then Death Guard Codex was released....

Why?!

Why Games Workshop make such bad rules for him? Model is very good, i love it. But i can't just play it because of the bad rules!
The cost is 120+30! He is slow and so can't fight effectively in melee combat, and has NO ranged attacks. And NO magic...
Nurgle's Gift is just okay, it doesn't cost so much points. He has no useful abilities like Chaos Lord.
And just look at Chaos Lord in terminator armour! He has +1 speed and -1 toughness, no FNP, but he has VERY useful aura for friendly units. And range attacks. And lost of equipment. Have i told you that Lord of Contagion has no options?
What about standart points cost?
Useless 150 vs Helpful 111... WHY?!?
I think thad add psykers abilities to Lord of Contagion can make him better, but whatevet, price is too high.

What do you think about him and Death Guard rules? It is necessary to pay attention of GW to this misunderstanding!
   
Made in us
Nurgle Chosen Marine on a Palanquin





Lord of Contagion got a bit cheaper with Chapter Approved. The fact that the standard Lord is missing nurgly attributes is the real let down for me. I would take a Daemon Prince over a vanilla Lord every time. While the options for the LoC is limited, he is surprisingly durable. And while Typhus is a LoC +1, his warlord trait is dissapointing. Where the LoC shines is as a decent resilient beat stick choice as second, third or 4th HQ in multiple detachments. DG don't have many cheap choices for HQS. Multiple Plague Casters have diminishing results not being able to cast the same spells.

When I bring 2 Battalions, I bring: Typhus, Daemon Prince in one, Plague Caster and LoC in the second. Im also a big fan of the Lesser Warlord tactic, so I will often give Warlord to a less desirable Character and hide then in reserve. LoC does this wonderfully. Everyone is gonna want to shoot down a Daemon Prince so I use my Prince as a Distraction Carnifex instead of beatstick Warlord kill magnet. Hiding the LoC in reserve till t3 makes scoring Slay the Warlord that much harder to get. It's also a sweet model to use as Champion for Blight Lords or Death Shrouds. I nabbed a second LoC and with a simple swap, turned him into the Plague Flail wielder for my Blight Lord Termies.

   
Made in nl
Been Around the Block




As far as I'm concerned chaos lords are 70 point reroll auras. None of mine ever use their equipment or see melee.

And the only other character that ever makes it into the list is a prince in case I do want it to see melee at some point.
   
Made in ru
Fresh-Faced New User





Nightlord1987, this cost changes are horrible. Lord of Contagion still very bad option for his cost.
You see, DG still need some more command options and
I just can't understand why GV make him so bad, instead of make some interesting rules for him.
   
Made in it
Tzeentch Veteran Marine with Psychic Potential





 MIX_Frog wrote:
Nightlord1987, this cost changes are horrible. Lord of Contagion still very bad option for his cost.
You see, DG still need some more command options and
I just can't understand why GV make him so bad, instead of make some interesting rules for him.

guess you need to play more, i can tell Loc is a solid choice for 117pts., if you dont know how to play him well...is not Gw fault. If you play him in a proper list he can charge 1st turn and 4 attacks at 2+ rerollin 1's to wound strenght 8 ap -3 and d3 damage hit like a truck. If you expect to use it against 30 hormagants immune to battle shock and shine... well.. again is your fault, but if you get into melee with a veichle or a Cm with no inv.save or those annoying scouts sitting on a object sniping ur characters...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/30 18:24:39


 
   
Made in ru
Fresh-Faced New User





blackmageMade, I think Lord of Chaos in terminator armor can do pretty same for lower cost + he has combi weapon.
I'm not pro in warhammer play, but I'm very good at quick maths
You don't think that LoC is just a bad Typhus?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut




Yeah, LoC still lacks any real role in the current DG army list. Typhus is just a better and psychic version of him, demon princes are generally more useful melee beat sticks with a better aura (and smite for mortal wounds over the LoC thing), and normal lords are much better as a buff bot.

Tbh I'm not even sure what his role could be. The only string to his bow is melee combat power, but he lacks mobility to make the most of it or any utility outside of that. And his aura is just awful. What on earth was their intent here?

He's arguably the least useful thing in our codex. Even some of the other iffy characters have a role, apothecary and blightspawn both offer some decent value in combat/short range shooting, with minor utility tacked on, all at a reasonable price.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2017/12/30 19:35:35


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 blackmage wrote:
 MIX_Frog wrote:
Nightlord1987, this cost changes are horrible. Lord of Contagion still very bad option for his cost.
You see, DG still need some more command options and
I just can't understand why GV make him so bad, instead of make some interesting rules for him.

guess you need to play more, i can tell Loc is a solid choice for 117pts., if you dont know how to play him well...is not Gw fault. If you play him in a proper list he can charge 1st turn and 4 attacks at 2+ rerollin 1's to wound strenght 8 ap -3 and d3 damage hit like a truck. If you expect to use it against 30 hormagants immune to battle shock and shine... well.. again is your fault, but if you get into melee with a veichle or a Cm with no inv.save or those annoying scouts sitting on a object sniping ur characters...


Yeah good luck rolling that 10 inch charge from deep strike with no way to get even a charge reroll to make it slightly more likely.
   
Made in it
Tzeentch Veteran Marine with Psychic Potential





the fact you say 10" with no re roll means you need to play more, is 9" and you can always spend 1 cp if needed for re roll. this said i stop, if you dont like Loc dont play it problem solved.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka




With a full reroll on the charge it's still only around a %50 chance to make that charge.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 blackmage wrote:
the fact you say 10" with no re roll means you need to play more, is 9" and you can always spend 1 cp if needed for re roll. this said i stop, if you dont like Loc dont play it problem solved.

You know as well as I do that it's "place the model more than 9 inches away" so not 9 but "more" than 9 inches. And to complete a charge successfully you need to be "within 1 inch." At that point on an actual table with how that's written, you end up dealing with small fractions of an inch, or need to shift slightly one way or the other to get an angle, and with the rule stating more than 9 instead of just 9 those small amounts matter. If it just said 9 you would be correct. And that's why people who know what theyre talking about and hold to the rules without fudging measurements to cheat, usually call it 10. Because more times than not you need just a hair over 9 inches to make it.

So yes, I would love to play more, but you could stand to brain more and calm down.
   
Made in it
Tzeentch Veteran Marine with Psychic Potential





u need 9, that's was also explained clearly (as if were needed) in FAQ.... 9,1-9=0,1 so you are into 1", means you get a successfull charge,
   
Made in us
Plaguelord Titan Princeps of Nurgle






Jacksonville, NC

LoC is an OK second or third HQ, he hits pretty hard, and is pretty survivable... but yeah, for the points, your better off with a Terminator Sorcerer, or even spiking up to Typhus even if you don't run poxwalkers

Nurgle/CSM aficionado - Check out my P&M Blog! https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/745328.page 
   
Made in gb
Junior Officer with Laspistol






Danny slag wrote:
 blackmage wrote:
the fact you say 10" with no re roll means you need to play more, is 9" and you can always spend 1 cp if needed for re roll. this said i stop, if you dont like Loc dont play it problem solved.

You know as well as I do that it's "place the model more than 9 inches away" so not 9 but "more" than 9 inches. And to complete a charge successfully you need to be "within 1 inch." At that point on an actual table with how that's written, you end up dealing with small fractions of an inch, or need to shift slightly one way or the other to get an angle, and with the rule stating more than 9 instead of just 9 those small amounts matter. If it just said 9 you would be correct. And that's why people who know what theyre talking about and hold to the rules without fudging measurements to cheat, usually call it 10. Because more times than not you need just a hair over 9 inches to make it.

So yes, I would love to play more, but you could stand to brain more and calm down.


FAQ says you're wrong, sorry dude. To be within 1" of a model 9.X" away you need a 9" move. You'd be correct if close combat was still base-to-base only, but it isn't.

I scratch-built a Macharius Vulcan, Thunderbolt and Spartan! Have a peek at the build and my painting progress here: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/90/513429.page

My all-plastic Praetorian build log: http://bit.ly/1K7gn7J

People who say "special snowflake" a lot tend to be unpleasant people.

 
   
Made in it
Tzeentch Veteran Marine with Psychic Potential





 JohnnyHell wrote:
Danny slag wrote:
 blackmage wrote:
the fact you say 10" with no re roll means you need to play more, is 9" and you can always spend 1 cp if needed for re roll. this said i stop, if you dont like Loc dont play it problem solved.

You know as well as I do that it's "place the model more than 9 inches away" so not 9 but "more" than 9 inches. And to complete a charge successfully you need to be "within 1 inch." At that point on an actual table with how that's written, you end up dealing with small fractions of an inch, or need to shift slightly one way or the other to get an angle, and with the rule stating more than 9 instead of just 9 those small amounts matter. If it just said 9 you would be correct. And that's why people who know what theyre talking about and hold to the rules without fudging measurements to cheat, usually call it 10. Because more times than not you need just a hair over 9 inches to make it.

So yes, I would love to play more, but you could stand to brain more and calm down.


FAQ says you're wrong, sorry dude. To be within 1" of a model 9.X" away you need a 9" move. You'd be correct if close combat was still base-to-base only, but it isn't.

that's what i said him , that's why i said ne need maybe to play bit more , imho.
   
Made in us
Fixture of Dakka




The principle stands that the charge is unreliable either way. They're not incorrect on that.

CaptainStabby wrote:
If Tyberos falls and needs to catch himself it's because the ground needed killing.

 jy2 wrote:
BTW, I can't wait to run Double-D-thirsters! Man, just thinking about it gets me Khorney.

 vipoid wrote:
Indeed - what sort of bastard would want to use their codex?

 MarsNZ wrote:
ITT: SoB players upset that they're receiving the same condescending treatment that they've doled out in every CSM thread ever.
 
   
Made in it
Tzeentch Veteran Marine with Psychic Potential





Slayer-Fan123 wrote:
The principle stands that the charge is unreliable either way. They're not incorrect on that.

locs are made for surgical deepstrikes, drop them in cover near a heavy weapon model, then opponent must choose is stay still and be caught next turn , or move and shoot at minus 1 for example, if you drop ur loc in open ground away from interesting targets you aren't play them correctly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/04 16:57:51


 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K Tactics
Go to: