Switch Theme:

How do I get an EPUB3 reader?  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in ca
Possessed Khorne Marine Covered in Spikes






Either somebody has to help me find an EPUB3 reader, or tell me the points value of a Khorne Blood Slaughterer, because as far as I can tell, there is no reliable sources to get a reader on desktop. That's quite frustating, seeing as I only need ONE unit's stats anyways, and I can find the Datasheet for the Slaughterer online. Just not its points.

7000p
3400p 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 vaklor4 wrote:
Either somebody has to help me find an EPUB3 reader, or tell me the points value of a Khorne Blood Slaughterer, because as far as I can tell, there is no reliable sources to get a reader on desktop. That's quite frustating, seeing as I only need ONE unit's stats anyways, and I can find the Datasheet for the Slaughterer online. Just not its points.


get chrome and use the readium extension.

the GW epubs will have some issues with title text overlapping because readium's format implementation isn't perfect, but it's still good enough.
   
Made in gb
Stormin' Stompa





The Epubs are all literally unreadable on windows.

Your best bet is to learn how to convert them to PDFs, but that requires you to buy a bunch of expensive fonts.

   
Made in gb
Malicious Mutant Scum





Oxfordshire

Calibre ought to do the do the job; I certainly have no difficulties using it as a reader in Linux.
   
Made in gb
Stormin' Stompa





 Lord Fishface wrote:
Calibre ought to do the do the job; I certainly have no difficulties using it as a reader in Linux.
Calibre doesn't let you zoom in, and as usual when I reported it, the open source gatekeepers told me to feth myself and marked it as won't fix.

Readium for Chrome is the best of a bad bunch, at least it's somewhat readable even if the fonts are broken half the time due to incorrect subsetting/encryption.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2017/12/31 22:51:01


   
Made in us
Witch Hunter Undercover in a Cult







Most epub readers on desktop are crap for one reason or another; Calibre requires the Windows zoom tool if you want to read anything on normal screen resolutions.

The best I've found so far is Adobe Digital Editions, and that insists on demanding you add things to your Adobe library, crashes if you scroll too quickly, and occasionally does the Skype thing where it won't actually close via the normal ways to close applications and you need to go into Task Manager and end the process.

I don't think I'm allowed to just tell you the points value of the Blood Slaughterer, but you may be able to find the answer yourself with Google image search.

Victoria est autem vita.

Stories at https://knightofthegrey.wordpress.com/
Game-related musings at https://thescenicdetour.wordpress.com/
Both updated irregularly 
   
Made in nz
Longtime Dakkanaut



Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima, Japan

azardi does a good job on windows. No real issues I've seen.
   
Made in us
Fresh-Faced New User




https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/epub3-reader/9wzdncrfjcq1 ?

I’ve not used it, but seems like it would to the trick if you’re on a windows box?


Automatically Appended Next Post:
The Kindle desktop app might do the trick, too?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/01 09:49:36


 
   
Made in de
Homicidal Veteran Blood Angel Assault Marine





Germany

Chrysis wrote:
azardi does a good job on windows. No real issues I've seen.


I'm using azardi as well. Works fine with the FW index adaptus astartes.
   
Made in pl
Regular Dakkanaut





Thanks for suggestions, guys, I had same issue. Really, it's insane how most mainstream option is ignored these days because you can't monetize everything on it so easily these days
WindstormSCR wrote:

get chrome and use the readium extension.

I'd never do that even if it was the only EPUB3 reader available, seeing chrome is glorified spyware pretending to be a browser. Unless someone is fine with random overseas company with literally zero law oversight (less than zero if you're not US citizen, even, as then Google can ignore any and all laws they want thanks to Safe Harbor provisions) gathering more info on his private life than even KGB ever did, then selling resulting 'product' to everyone willing to pay a few pennies, doing so is utterly insane.
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Bird from Hell






 Irbis wrote:
I'd never do that even if it was the only EPUB3 reader available, seeing chrome is glorified spyware pretending to be a browser. Unless someone is fine with random overseas company with literally zero law oversight (less than zero if you're not US citizen, even, as then Google can ignore any and all laws they want thanks to Safe Harbor provisions) gathering more info on his private life than even KGB ever did, then selling resulting 'product' to everyone willing to pay a few pennies, doing so is utterly insane.


You know you don't actually have to use chrome as your browser to use the epub plugin, right? I sure don't. The only thing anyone is getting out of that browser is a list of all the digital 40k books I've opened.

Also, anonymous marketing data isn't really all that scary. Unlike the KGB nobody is taking a personal interest in you, it's just machines exchanging data with other machines and then displaying different ads for you to ignore. It's not like google is telling your best friend about that time you slept with their mom.

Laying low in a blood filled trench
Kill time 'til my very own death
On my face I can feel the falling rain
Never see my friends again

In the smoke, in the mud and lead
Smell the fear and the feeling of dread
Soon be time to go over the wall
Rapid fire and end of us all


SELL ME YOUR FORGEWORLD ATLAS 
   
Made in se
Alluring Sorcerer of Slaanesh






Reading, UK

I've struggled to get a good one as well on my Fire tablet. I would try out Kobo if you can get it.I've found it to be the best so far and it allows me to zoom in and our just fine. I had tried a, few including Calibre, but none were quite as good.

   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Calculating Commissar





Gone-to-ground in the craters of Coventry

I use Adobe Digital Editions on my PC.
It doesn't have many features other apps might, but it works well enough for me.

Kobo (as listed on the WH Digital help pages) for Android.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/02 14:20:53


Eternal Crusade Referral code: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/60/655562.page#8132932 - Get free points when you sign up
4000 pts - 3500 pts - 3500 pts - Harlies: 1000 pts DS:70+S+G++MB+IPw40k86/f+D++A++/cWD64R+T(T)DM+
IG/AM force nearly-finished pieces: http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-38888-41159_Armies%20-%20Imperial%20Guard.html
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw (probably)
Clubs around Coventry, UK 
   
Made in ru
Cackling Chaos Conscript





EPUB 3 can be unzipped in WinRAR.
Then you get a bunch of separate webpage xhtml files, one for every page of the document. They can be opened in a browser.

At least this was readable, unlike what I got using actual ebook readers.
Besides, a 'slaughterer is 180 points with either wargear loadout.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/02 14:40:32


 
   
Made in gb
Stormin' Stompa





 Irbis wrote:
Thanks for suggestions, guys, I had same issue. Really, it's insane how most mainstream option is ignored these days because you can't monetize everything on it so easily these days
WindstormSCR wrote:

get chrome and use the readium extension.

I'd never do that even if it was the only EPUB3 reader available, seeing chrome is glorified spyware pretending to be a browser. Unless someone is fine with random overseas company with literally zero law oversight (less than zero if you're not US citizen, even, as then Google can ignore any and all laws they want thanks to Safe Harbor provisions) gathering more info on his private life than even KGB ever did, then selling resulting 'product' to everyone willing to pay a few pennies, doing so is utterly insane.
So install Chromium (the open source project) instead?

   
Made in ca
Calm Celestian






If you have a Gmail account you can always upload the epub to your books and read it in browser through that interface.

I've heard it said that she can melt you with her eyes. 
   
Made in us
Pestilent Plague Marine with Blight Grenade





Chicago

Adobe Digital Editions 4.5 on my pc

 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 Irbis wrote:
Thanks for suggestions, guys, I had same issue. Really, it's insane how most mainstream option is ignored these days because you can't monetize everything on it so easily these days
WindstormSCR wrote:

get chrome and use the readium extension.

I'd never do that even if it was the only EPUB3 reader available, seeing chrome is glorified spyware pretending to be a browser. Unless someone is fine with random overseas company with literally zero law oversight (less than zero if you're not US citizen, even, as then Google can ignore any and all laws they want thanks to Safe Harbor provisions) gathering more info on his private life than even KGB ever did, then selling resulting 'product' to everyone willing to pay a few pennies, doing so is utterly insane.


I've looked high and low for the same thing and am dumbfounded that none exist, it's just ios that can. Redium jumbles it. Kobo used to work, but as of the past few updates seems to choke.

Unrelated, but honestly if you're using the internet at all you're data is everywhere always, no more with google than anyone else. Hell chrome at least is nice enough to not lock up constantly and be slow like every other browser that's data mining you. It's like a reacharound. So I wouldn't stress it, it's literally unavoidable short of living in a cabin and eating rats you catch. Plus if google knows your favorite type of cookie and spank material good they can help you find it faster.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/04 02:31:31


 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





Kindle for PC will let you read e-books on your pc, I've used it a few times.

We're gonna need another Timmy!

6400 pts+ 8th
 
   
Made in us
Skilled SDF-1 Pin-Point Barrier Jockey





Mississippi

Why is GW so adverse to PDF? I can't stand epub3 or mobi formats. I want it to look the same as if I had the book in my hands.

It never ends well 
   
Made in gb
[DCM]
Calculating Commissar





Gone-to-ground in the craters of Coventry

PDFs can be torn apart by anyone with Acrobat, can't they?
AFAIK, the EPub and Mobi formats have the account info of the purchase implanted in the downloaded file.

Eternal Crusade Referral code: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/60/655562.page#8132932 - Get free points when you sign up
4000 pts - 3500 pts - 3500 pts - Harlies: 1000 pts DS:70+S+G++MB+IPw40k86/f+D++A++/cWD64R+T(T)DM+
IG/AM force nearly-finished pieces: http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-38888-41159_Armies%20-%20Imperial%20Guard.html
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw (probably)
Clubs around Coventry, UK 
   
 
Forum Index » 40K General Discussion
Go to: