Switch Theme:

[KS] Das Boot the Board Game (well.. UBOOT) - WW2 Submarine warfare - Shipping soon  [RSS] Share on facebook Share on Twitter Submit to Reddit
»
Author Message
Advert


Forum adverts like this one are shown to any user who is not logged in. Join us by filling out a tiny 3 field form and you will get your own, free, dakka user account which gives a good range of benefits to you:
  • No adverts like this in the forums anymore.
  • Times and dates in your local timezone.
  • Full tracking of what you have read so you can skip to your first unread post, easily see what has changed since you last logged in, and easily see what is new at a glance.
  • Email notifications for threads you want to watch closely.
  • Being a part of the oldest wargaming community on the net.
If you are already a member then feel free to login now.




Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

My new year's resolution to not get any more KS this year will last until 22nd Jan, when this campaign is due to start

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phalanxgames/826770165?ref=amdknm&token=7c8a9f98

Think this looks absolutely incredible - intend to make my gaming group watch Das Boot as prep for it (and an excuse for me to watch it again)
Love the idea of using an app - after seeing how well this worked with X-COM (one of the best board game releases of recent years for me) I know how effective a tool this can be if used right.
More pictures and text at the link above

UBOOT The Board Game Kickstarter campaign will be launched on the 22nd of January 2018 and will last until the 14th of February 2018. Before the campaign starts, we will use this preview page as a portal to keep you informed about the game and gather feedback. Please click the Notify me on launch button at the top row or side bar of this page to receive a notification when the campaign starts. If you wish to share your thoughts on this project, feel free to post your feedback in the box at the top of the page. This is much appreciated!

Please note that not all the graphic material presented here is final. The photos are showing handmade prototypes of the game. The final production quality will be much higher.



UBOOT The Board Game is a real-time tabletop game of WW2 submarine warfare. An underwater cooperative war thriller that allows 1 to 4 players to assume the roles of the Captain, the First Officer, the Navigator, and the Chief Engineer on board of a type VIIC U-boat. The game is enhanced by a companion app, allowing for an unprecedented level of realism, as well as a challenging enemy A.I. which will push your skills to the limit. The action unfolds both on the strategic and the tactical scale, always demanding teamwork, efficient crew management, and quick situation assessment.

Game overview


The Crew

Each of the four roles entails unique responsibilities, encouraging the players to develop an efficient communication scheme and use genuine navy terminology. The Captain oversees the completion of mission objectives, supervises action point costs, and is responsible for the crew's morale. The First Officer operates the companion app, manages the flow of information, and takes care of the crew's health. The Navigator steers the submarine by setting its course and depth, but also updates all the essential information on the strategic, and the tactical map. Last, but not least, is the Chief Engineer, who is responsible for the engines, repairs, as well as other mechanical implements on board of the U-boat (such as the ballast tanks, weapon systems, etc.). At the same time, each of the four officers commands his own group of crew members by issuing orders within a worker placement system.



The App

The idea behind the companion app is to deliver a real-time, realistic gameplay experience. To that end, the app features the most essential instruments of the u-boat (such as the periscope, the hydrophone, and the Enigma, among others). Rest assured, however, that the vast majority of gameplay traditionally takes place on the game board, with the instruments revealing otherwise hidden information, and the app requiring only certain data (such as the U-boat's course, speed, etc.) in order to generate an adequate A.I. response of the enemy force. It is also responsible for all the ambient sound effects, thus immersing the players even deeper into the claustrophobic interiors of the type VII C. But fear not! With open & play being a design priority, you will be launching torpedoes in no time, thanks to streamlined rules, video tutorials, and variable difficulty levels for each player.

The Mission

From quick skirmishes, through full combat missions, to an all-out campaign, UBOOT will let you conduct submarine operations in all major naval theatres of the 2nd World War. Success of these missions will hinge on the completion of various tasks delegated to the crew by the BdU (U-boat HQ), which include patrol duty, ambushing convoys, laying mines in enemy waters, and many more! Each mission will require the players to adopt various strategies and play styles in order to successfully complete it, and the companion app will generate a detailed report at the end of each game session (evaluating player efforts, and possibly awarding decorations, promotions, etc.). That is, if the U-boat makes it back home…

This message was edited 9 times. Last update was at 2018/12/07 07:40:20


Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
Excellent discussion forum & information collection for Epic and other small scale miniatures: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php
 
   
Made in us
[DCM]
Potent Grey Knight Librarian





Fort Worth, TX

If the app is a requirement to play, that is an absolute deal breaker for me. One of the greatest advantages of boardgames is that they'll still work just fine 10+ years down the road. No worries about system hardware or software compatibility over time.

"Through the darkness of future past, the magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds: Fire, walk with me."
- Twin Peaks
"You listen to me. While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I am a naysayer and hatchetman in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another because I choose to live my life in the company of Gandhi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method... is love. I love you Sheriff Truman." - Twin Peaks 
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

I wouldn't let it be if you like the concept and really want to play the game.

HoweverI don't think you're the only person thinking that, if you read through FAQ on that page there is a fair amount of detail given to the app, how it will work and be maintained.

My thoughts are this: the usage of an app for X-COM was a design masterclass, and I'll go as far as to say made it one of the most fun (and actually unique) board game experiences of the past few years. The game simply would not be possible in the same way without it.

My impressions of how the campaign for UBOOT will work are the same - it will offer a level of depth (ho ho! ), random encounters etc. that wouldn't be possible without it.

I also think it is far more acceptable than the Legacy game format, where you are ripping up cards as you play (and after all, I don't think there will be any groups of friends playing this game where one of the four won't have a smart device), yet that hasn't stopped some of the Legacy games being brilliant fun and being best sellers.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 2018/01/11 08:32:46


Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
Excellent discussion forum & information collection for Epic and other small scale miniatures: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php
 
   
Made in us
Nasty Nob





SoCal

An app can provide a far more balanced and interesting co-op experience than a random deck of cards, giving you a more paced experience as opposed to losing just because the shuffle put a bunch of very penalizing encounters/events in the AI deck right next to each other.

PC software tends to be able to run far, far down the line if made simply enough, and these board game apps have simplistic graphics and are coded with known APIs that will either stick around or can be emulated.

   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





This looks interesting, was expecting a submarine v surface ship type game with each player taking a side but this looks completely different, Will be keeping any eye out for this
Das Boot theme tune now in my head though...
   
Made in us
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

Damn you Huron, that's planted that song in my head now too! Although there are worse songs that it could happen with..

Have updated the title to make it a bit more clear what it's about.

I'd be happy to have a go at keeping the thread updated with campaign announcements when it launches (haven't really done that before but will have a go).

I wonder if this should be in the general N&R section rather than down here, in the dark, briny depths of Board Games?


Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
Excellent discussion forum & information collection for Epic and other small scale miniatures: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php
 
   
Made in gb
Wight Lord with the Sword of Kings






UK

 Tannhauser42 wrote:
If the app is a requirement to play, that is an absolute deal breaker for me. One of the greatest advantages of boardgames is that they'll still work just fine 10+ years down the road. No worries about system hardware or software compatibility over time.


Same here - I don't have anything portable to play Apps on and no interest in getting anything - I'll have a look at it and see if its suable without it- shame.

"Unimaginably ancient xenos artefact somewhere on the planet, hive fleet poised above our heads, hidden 'stealer broods making an early start....and now a bloody Chaos cult crawling out of the woodwork just in case we were bored. Welcome to my world, Ciaphas."
Inquisitor Amberley Vail, Ordo Xenos

"I will admit that some Primachs like Russ or Horus could have a chance against an unarmed 12 year old novice but, a full Battle Sister??!! One to one? In close combat? Perhaps three Primarchs fighting together... but just one Primarch?" da001

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/528517.page

A Bloody Road - my Warhammer Fantasy Fiction 
   
Made in ie
Norn Queen






Dublin, Ireland

Looks awesome imo. Love the idea of co op rather than fighting each other. Will defo keep an eye out.

Dman137 wrote:
goobs is all you guys will ever be

By 1-irt: Still as long as Hissy keeps showing up this is one of the most entertaining threads ever.

"Feelin' goods, good enough". 
   
Made in us
Napoleonics Obsesser




MN

Looks like Space Alert to me.

Do you like Free Wargames?
http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/ 
   
Made in nl
Wrathful Warlord Titan Commander





Somewhere... over the rainbow

Nice. I have been a big fan of U-Boote ever since playing Silent Hunter. Will keep an eye on this.

А сегодня, что для завтра сделал Я?
But today I don't feel like doing anything... 
   
Made in gb
Dakka Veteran





 Pacific wrote:
Damn you Huron, that's planted that song in my head now too! Although there are worse songs that it could happen with..

Have updated the title to make it a bit more clear what it's about.

I'd be happy to have a go at keeping the thread updated with campaign announcements when it launches (haven't really done that before but will have a go).

I wonder if this should be in the general N&R section rather than down here, in the dark, briny depths of Board Games?



I'd say put it in general news, I only stumbled on it by chance and am interested in it.
That being said, I didn't spot the price point the first time I looked at it, £80 is more than I expected for what you're getting, could be a stumbling block for some
   
Made in gb
Battlefield Tourist





On an Express Elevator to Hell!!

OK I will see if I can message someone about getting it moved.

Yes right about cost - I don't know how much of that is down to the big submarine model or how much the app development cost. Might even be the room left for extra stuff if it hits lots of pledge goals? I am just guessing!

On the other hand £70-80 is pretty standard for some of the quality game releases - Pandemic legacy etc, and Massive Darkness I believe is £110 RRp (although admittedly that comes with a ton of stuff).

Epic 30K&40K! A new players guide, contributors welcome https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/751316.page
Small but perfectly formed! A Great Crusade Epic 6mm project: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/694411.page
Excellent discussion forum & information collection for Epic and other small scale miniatures: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php
 
   
Made in us
Consigned to the Grim Darkness






Svalarheima, MA

I've moved this over to the N&R forum - thanks for posting this here - it looks very interesting!

Nil nos tremefacit.
 
   
Made in us
Using Object Source Lighting





Portland

Very interesting. I'm also in the camp of disliking apps, but this is cool enough that I might break my tech embargo...


Automatically Appended Next Post:
Ooph. They say 20% discount is $50 off... so, that means $200 pledge (possibly before shipping)?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/14 21:46:18



My painted armies (40k, WM/H, Malifaux, Infinity...) 
   
Made in de
Enginseer with a Wrench






 spiralingcadaver wrote:

Ooph. They say 20% discount is $50 off... so, that means $200 pledge (possibly before shipping)?


Retail for the core game is $100 and the expansion $33, so no. The Uboot pledge for both is £65 while the combined retail price is £105, so the £40 saving is correct. Plus the stretch goals, whatever they may be.
   
Made in us
Using Object Source Lighting





Portland

So they are. That was confusingly worded.


My painted armies (40k, WM/H, Malifaux, Infinity...) 
   
Made in pl
Longtime Dakkanaut






 Vertrucio wrote:
(...)losing just because the shuffle put a bunch of very penalizing encounters/events in the AI deck right next to each other.


Wouldn't that be thematically appropriate given the source material?
   
Made in us
Longtime Dakkanaut






I think that has to be one of the coolest things I've seen in awhile. Is there a "How to play" up yet? I really like how they have connected the game, and how to run the U Boat... and AGREED,

I want to go back and watch that movie, again, now....

Great find!!



At Games Workshop, we believe that how you behave does matter. We believe this so strongly that we have written it down in the Games Workshop Book. There is a section in the book where we talk about the values we expect all staff to demonstrate in their working lives. These values are Lawyers, Guns and Money. 
   
Made in us
Grizzled MkII Monster Veteran





Mississippi

God, I'd love to get this, but have no one who'd be interested in playing it with me.

I need to hunt up a working copy of Silent Service. I miss that game.

It never ends well 
   
Made in us
Regular Dakkanaut





 Tannhauser42 wrote:
If the app is a requirement to play, that is an absolute deal breaker for me. One of the greatest advantages of boardgames is that they'll still work just fine 10+ years down the road. No worries about system hardware or software compatibility over time.


I hear your concerns, but I think this will be the new normal. There are too many advantages with technology integration than without.
   
Made in us
Consigned to the Grim Darkness






Svalarheima, MA

Stormonu wrote:God, I'd love to get this, but have no one who'd be interested in playing it with me.

I need to hunt up a working copy of Silent Service. I miss that game.


Well, it is co-op, so you should be able to coerce 3 friends into it - at least once!

Right?

Sheck2 wrote:
 Tannhauser42 wrote:
If the app is a requirement to play, that is an absolute deal breaker for me. One of the greatest advantages of boardgames is that they'll still work just fine 10+ years down the road. No worries about system hardware or software compatibility over time.


I hear your concerns, but I think this will be the new normal. There are too many advantages with technology integration than without.


I think it will be quite some time before this becomes commonplace.

At least outside of the big publishers.

Nil nos tremefacit.
 
   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch






I glanced at this, and thought "whoa, cool!" and then saw the bit about the app...and I'm out. I normally do board games to get away from any electronic device, and I also share the concerns about the ap going forward. Doesn't seem like a game you'd break out in 10-15 years and be able to play --- so that's wasted money.

 
   
Made in us
Haughty Harad Serpent Rider





Richmond, VA

Was wary of apps until Mansions of Madness 2nd edition converted me. It's way better than a human could possibly run the game. An app makes me that much more interested in a game like this.

Thought I'd post the opposite of everyone who feels the need to inform everyone else of their "This uses an app? HARD PASS" opinion

inb4 "If only this game didn't have an app and also massaged my foot bunions I would have pledged 1.7 million dollars"


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Pacific wrote:
I also think it is far more acceptable than the Legacy game format, where you are ripping up cards as you play (and after all, I don't think there will be any groups of friends playing this game where one of the four won't have a smart device), yet that hasn't stopped some of the Legacy games being brilliant fun and being best sellers.


Most board games are played between zero and two times by any given game group, trending towards zero - many are bought and put into a collection, never to be played.

Legacy games assert that the overwhelming majority of gaming groups won't play a 2-hour-ession game more than a handful of times - the fact that Pandemic Legacy gives you 12 to 24 sessions before ending completely means that you get more enjoyment and usage out of it than most other games. Well done legacy mechanics provide for a gaming experience a normal board game simply cannot replicate.

App games assert that the overwhelming majority of gaming groups won't play most games in ten years anyway. They're pretty much correct. In ten years, any supported game will have at least a second edition of it. Apps for XCom and Mansions of Madness 2 provide a gaming experience, that, once again, normal board games cannot replicate.

point being, Instead of trying to compete in a dense and overcrowded market of board games with clever mechanics that no one plays anyway, Apps (and Legacy) allow games to be run in a way with mechanics and elements that are simply impossible to produce in traditional board games

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 2018/01/15 15:03:20


"...and special thanks to Judgedoug!" - Alessio Cavatore "Now you've gone too far Doug! ... Too far... " - Rick Priestley "I've decided that I'd rather not have you as a member of TMP." - Editor, The Miniatures Page "I'd rather put my testicles through a mangle than spend any time gaming with you." - Richard, TooFatLardies "We need a Doug Craig in every store." - Warlord Games "Thank you for being here, Judge Doug!" - Adam Troke 
   
Made in gb
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps





UK

Saw this, became a must back.

Saw the app requirement. Sod that, I'm out. Don't want anything to do with apps and the like.
   
Made in us
Consigned to the Grim Darkness






Svalarheima, MA

Elbows wrote:I glanced at this, and thought "whoa, cool!" and then saw the bit about the app...and I'm out. I normally do board games to get away from any electronic device, and I also share the concerns about the ap going forward. Doesn't seem like a game you'd break out in 10-15 years and be able to play --- so that's wasted money.


judgedoug wrote:Was wary of apps until Mansions of Madness 2nd edition converted me. It's way better than a human could possibly run the game. An app makes me that much more interested in a game like this.

Thought I'd post the opposite of everyone who feels the need to inform everyone else of their "This uses an app? HARD PASS" opinion

inb4 "If only this game didn't have an app and also massaged my foot bunions I would have pledged 1.7 million dollars"


Automatically Appended Next Post:
 Pacific wrote:
I also think it is far more acceptable than the Legacy game format, where you are ripping up cards as you play (and after all, I don't think there will be any groups of friends playing this game where one of the four won't have a smart device), yet that hasn't stopped some of the Legacy games being brilliant fun and being best sellers.


Most board games are played between zero and two times by any given game group, trending towards zero - many are bought and put into a collection, never to be played.

Legacy games assert that the overwhelming majority of gaming groups won't play a 2-hour-ession game more than a handful of times - the fact that Pandemic Legacy gives you 12 to 24 sessions before ending completely means that you get more enjoyment and usage out of it than most other games. Well done legacy mechanics provide for a gaming experience a normal board game simply cannot replicate.

App games assert that the overwhelming majority of gaming groups won't play most games in ten years anyway. They're pretty much correct. In ten years, any supported game will have at least a second edition of it. Apps for XCom and Mansions of Madness 2 provide a gaming experience, that, once again, normal board games cannot replicate.

point being, Instead of trying to compete in a dense and overcrowded market of board games with clever mechanics that no one plays anyway, Apps (and Legacy) allow games to be run in a way with mechanics and elements that are simply impossible to produce in traditional board games


zedmeister wrote:Saw this, became a must back.

Saw the app requirement. Sod that, I'm out. Don't want anything to do with apps and the like.


I love it when Dakka Dakka works as intended!

Hopefully there are some provisions to run it without App Assistance as well.

It would make more people happy and potentially future proof it against obsolescence (ha!) too.

Nil nos tremefacit.
 
   
Made in us
Willing Inquisitorial Excruciator





Philadelphia

Absolutely. Love the concept and coop nature of this, but the app is a non-starter (though tempted solely by the production values alone).

If they do have non-app ways to play, then I'm in.

Daemonhunters 1000 points (painted)
Flesh Tearers 2000+ points (painted) - Balt GT '02 52nd; Balt GT '05 16th
Kabal of the Tortured Soul 2000+ points (painted) - Balt GT '08 85th; Mechanicon '09 12th
Greenwing 1000 points (painted) - Adepticon Team Tourny 2013

"There is rational thought here. It's just swimming through a sea of stupid and is often concealed from view by the waves of irrational conclusions." - Railguns 
   
Made in gb
Stealthy Warhound Titan Princeps





UK

 Alpharius wrote:
I love it when Dakka Dakka works as intended!

Hopefully there are some provisions to run it without App Assistance as well.

It would make more people happy and potentially future proof it against obsolescence (ha!) too.


Well, my aversion to apps is not because of future proof and all that. I've got no interest and no ability to use an app during a game on my kitchen table. I don't have a phone that can run it and I'm not hauling my desktop machine all the way downstairs. Besides, I dislike the app integration idea itself. I reckon it'll suffer similar problems to what Golem Arcana had in that people will constantly be shifting attention between Device and Game with the added temptation to quickly check faceache while they're at it. Personally, I don't like it.
   
Made in us
Awesome Autarch






Yep.

I have a phone which could run it, but I also have a fully spec'ed out gaming PC.

It's not about having or not having, it's what I want when I'm playing a board game...and that involves no electronic devices. I don't care that it adds to the board game's possibilities - if I wanted that I have a full Steam library of amazing PC games which I could play. Nothing ruins a boardgame or a role-playing game more than someone thumbing through their phone, etc.

No interest in combining the two, regardless of the benefits.

 
   
Made in gb
Longtime Dakkanaut




Agree with judge on Apps. MoM wields better than a human could do it, Descent benefited greatly from the addition of an App (must get round to trying Imperial Assault with its App too).

   
Made in ca
Fresh-Faced New User



Winnipeg, MB

Just to continue to provide balance to the Force, I'll also say that I am not scared off by apps. Looks like a very cool game, that I know my gaming group would love to play.
   
 
Forum Index » News & Rumors
Go to: